Product Type: Ikea home furniture
Newest Review: ... all of your furniture to match. The packaging will easily fit in the boot of most cars and isn't too heavy so if you really wished you co... more
Bargain Flat-pack Furniture
Ikea Malm Chest: 2 Drawers
Member Name: Seven17
Ikea Malm Chest: 2 Drawers
Advantages: Cheap and cheerful
Disadvantages: 15 Minutes to build, scratches easily
I bought two of these drawers to put clothes and random household items in. So far they have proven themselves useful and have not managed to fall to pieces like some of my other IKEA furniture. The packaging is at least somewhat sensible with a thick cardboard box, some of those massive staples in it, lots of plastic bags to wrap the pieces in such as screws and those little bolt like things, and then you get yet more cardboard to top it all off.
To build it takes around 15 minutes (well for me it did anyway, and that was with the wife telling me exactly where everything should go before i could even make sense of the manual) since i didn't have any tools it is usually handy that Ikea give you some keys and what not to build these things. The manual is helpful but if you can't work out diagrams it will not be of much help to you. There are always helplines and live chats with "anna" if you can't figure things out for yourself.
The drawers once set up, do provide sufficient storage space for several pairs of socks, underwear, folded shirts and a couple pairs of jeans... although your size of clothing may differ, this is an approximation, with me being average size, i wont be giving you my measurements haha.
They are built quite well but do scratch easily on top. They are sturdy and yes, they have stayed together and do not creek, or break under an immense weight but sliding things like ornaments across the top will do permanent damage, and i'm not talking light scratches. It is also quite prone to dents so watch out if you smack things onto surfaces, this will also damage it quite badly.
The laminated wood is very smooth though, running my fingers along the top feels quite soft and sleek, i know these are Pius words but i can't think of anything else. Imagine running your fingers along a polished car's paintwork, similar to that only with wood. The drawers have not jammed at all since i've had them and the little roller wheels are not shaking themselves out of position. They have also not worn down despite the use they get.
Overall these are good value for money and you get what you pay for. Not great but they will last a while if you look after them, and they are cheap enough to replace if you don't.
Summary: Good value for money, still recommended
More reviews in the field of Furniture
- One pine day, on a trip to Ikea...
- The ubiquitous Billy
- I won't Re-Buy these Rebound Pillows!
- HOMEBASE box reviewed.
- Airing in the sunshine - when we get some!
- Hemnes for linen
- Tall and reliable, just how I like my men!
- Argos Solid Wood Bathroom Storage Box - perfect for all your dirty washing
- If You Like Your Drawers Strong & Sturdy
- Flat Pack At It's Best
- Dreams Limited Blush Table and Chairs
- Dreams Limited Berkeley Black 5 Drawer Chest
- Dreams Limited Berkeley Black 3 Drawer Bedside Chest
- Dreams Limited Berkeley 4 Piece Bundle
- Dreams Limited Azure Memory Foam Divan Bed
- Dreams Limited Tempur Original Inspiration memory Foam Ottoman
- Dreams Limited Toulouse 2 Door Wardrobe
- Dreams Limited Toulouse 3 Door Combi Wardrobe
- Dreams Limited Toulouse 3 Door Wardrobe With Mirror
- Dreams Limited Tuscany Tallboy