Newest Review: ... £13, this machine-washable rug depicts various man-made city and natural countryside attractions all of which have been printed in muted, A... more
Cheap IKEA Rugs - machine washable
Member Name: Plumptious
Date: 19/11/00, updated on 19/11/00 (6454 review reads)
Advantages: Under £3 a Rug.
Disadvantages: Only available in IKEA. Have to search for colours and designs you like.
Wall-to-wall carpeting is one of the best luxuries enjoyed by those of us fortunate enough to be living in this age. That is, those of us with the means to acquire it and to maintain it.
Alright, so I'm not the world's best housekeeper. But can you imagine the amount of fur and debris generated everyday by two dogs, six cats, two rats and a moulty mammal with black fur two feet long?
If you haven't guessed, a lot of fur and stuff gets left on the floor. Fortunately for me, I hadn't gotten around to carpeting the downstairs, so it's all wood, lino and other non-carpety stuff. Unfortunately, it's not as warm as carpeting.
This is where IKEA comes in. They have very thoughtfully come out with the JEKSEN range of rugs for £2.90 each. These rugs are 65x130cm, come in a variety of colours and designs, and live in huge huddled stacks in IKEA.
I used to walk past these stacks, appalled by the horrible colour combinations. Then one day ...
To cut a long story short, if you take the trouble to sift through the pile, there are the most remarkable rugs in there. I found one which was a wonderful pure bubblegum pink. This would have suited a little girl's bedroom so well. You'd have to pay a fortune to get a rug that colour from a catalogue.
The rugs are made of various fabrics, some fluffier and some smoother than others, and come in all various colour combinations. I have opted for two sets of rugs, one in shades of blue and white, and the other in shades of grey and white. I have over twenty rugs in all, and use 10 at a time. Spread over the floor, matching yet different, they are pleasing to the eye and yet more interesting than if they were all the same.
I have several in front of the door, laid so that the animals can't help but clean their paws as they some in from the muddy garden. The rugs are then chucked into the washing machine for the 40-100 degree wash,
depending on my mood. 40 degrees is the manufacturer's recommended temperature, but the couple of rugs which have shrunk now fit in a corridor better. Simply avoid the higher temperature washes if the size difference matters to you.
So there you have it. I've spent under £80 on these rugs. They fold nicely to fit onto the shelf of an IKEA Billy bookcase, and I always have clean stacks of them readily available.
More reviews in the field of Furniture
- MFI furniture.Utter Junk.........
- Good and Bad
- Muscle Spasms - Chronic Pain in Legs - Simple Solution
- Creamy CHEAP Curtains
- Ikea Malm - roomy, solid drawers
- Look's Nice, Does the Job, but Not Very Strong
- Looks lovely, and practical too
- A table for £5?? What's it Lack-ing?
- it'll definitely wake you up in the morning...
- Sleepy Dreams Brompton Small Dining Table with 2 Chairs
- Sleepy Dreams Brompton Medium Dining Table with 4 Chairs
- Sleepy Dreams Brompton Large Dining Table with 6 Chairs
- Sleepy Dreams Bristol Ivory Metal Headboard
- Sleepy Dreams Bristol Gunmetal Headboard
- Calder House Moulin Noir 3 Drawer Chest with Marble Top
- Silentnight Montreal 800 Divan Bed
- Relyon Montpellier Pocket Sprung Divan Bed
- Sweet Dreams Moscow Fabric Headboard
- Calder House Montreal Silver Metal Bunk Bed