Newest Review: ... been received in October 2008 did not arrive, and eventually we managed to get through to the company and renewed on the phone. We paid ... more
NORWICH UNION RIP OFF
Norwich Union Direct
Author Name: Susan Barnard
Norwich Union Direct
Disadvantages: Uncommunicative and clever at avoiding payout of genuine claims like mine
We are totally devastated by the Norwich Union's decision not to compensate us for the escape of water in our kitchen floor. The company claims that the water is "historic" but have no evidence whatsover to back up their statement.
The renewal notice which should have been received in October 2008 did not arrive, and eventually we managed to get through to the company and renewed on the phone. We paid the £120 renewal premium as required in the assumption that we were covered for all eventualities.
In February a few dips appeared in our kitchen floor, and when this became more widespread we called in a trusted builder who lifted the floor covering and found the floor was rotting. We called NU immediately who assured me that we were covered for escape of water.
Several visits later, the NU could find no trace of a leak and therefore flatly assumed that the water was "historic" and that it is not covered under our buildings policy, though the floor covering which they cut up to access the floor was covered by contents.
They are totally intractable in their statement, and though it is possible there was a flood of water prior to our moving in 3 years ago, it is not necessarily the cause of the damage.
So, don't trust your insurers, they are in the business of making money and we are their providers, not the other way around. BE WARNED!
Summary: Don't insure with them -- but probably all insurers are the same!
More reviews in the field of Home Insurance
- British Gas homecare - Report your problem to Trading Standards
- ALL A BIG CON IN THIS COUNTRY
- HOMECARE engineer drills into hot boiler casing
- Homecare Damages Your House and Bank Account
- Norwich Union : Trust them at your peril !!!
- First service and membership ends up the cost of a new boiler.
- Appalling service from British Gas
- DON'T LOOK AT THEIR LOWEST PRICE! They will cancel it anyway minus admin charges ...
- Go Elsewhere
- HomeCare 400 despite charging existing customers 24% above advertised costs DO N ...