Newest Review: ... Considering that this was the week before Christmas, I think that's a great deal. We even convinced them not to put the price up o... more
Looking for a resonable, clean hotel?
Damrak Hotel (Netherlands)
Member Name: Noggsy
Damrak Hotel (Netherlands)
Date: 17/01/01, updated on 17/01/01 (285 review reads)
Advantages: Cheap, clean, well-situated.
Disadvantages: Fire escape
Stay here then. This hotel is located on Damrak Street (on the right as you walk down) - which runs down from Centraal Station - and is about 2.5 stars.
We found it by looking around several and this was the nicest of the cheaper hotels. They gave us a 50% reduction, (after a bit of bargaining), which brought the price down to about £25 a night. That was for a double-room, en-suite and breakfast. Considering that this was the week before Christmas, I think that's a great deal. We even convinced them not to put the price up on the Friday we stayed there (a standard practice in Amsterdam it seems).
The room was a good size and clean and the breakfast was excellent. The staff were friendly, professional-looking and took good care of us.
The Hotel is located right in the centre of Amsterdam, near both the train-station and the main tram stops (about 100 yards from both). The famous Dam square is at the other end of the street and the Red-Light district is only a five minute walk away.
The only down-side to this Hotel came when the fire alarm went off at 3 in the morning and we ran down the fire escape. Unfortunately, we found that the fire escape was partially blocked at one end and it led back into the restaurant downstairs. Still, most of the Hotels we saw didn't even have a fire escape, so...
Over all, I would definately recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in Amsterdam on an average budget. There is so much to do in the city that you probably won't stay in the room much anyway, but it's nice to have comfort when you do. Do your best to get them to drop the price though, especially if it is quiet in the city - they have a great deal of lassitude and I got the impression that they hate to have rooms empty.
More reviews in the field of Hotel International
- Long Beach Hilton - Business Comfort at a Price
- Cheap and Cheerful
- "Riu Mambo" for me
- Marang Hotel in Francistown
- Safe and Sanur
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam - Easily a 4 Star Hotel
- Family friendly fun? You bet!
- Have kids? Want to stay in the Disney World Resort? This is definitely one to co ...
- Lavish hotel of immense quality.
- On the Dalai Lama's Doorstep.
- San Diego Marriott Mission Valley (USA)
- Athenaeum Intercontinental Athens (Greece)
- Hostellerie Sarrasine (Replonges, France)
- Hotel Bastion Utrecht (Netherlands)
- Ibis Hotel Prague Old Town
- Louis Zante Beach Hotel (Zante, Greece)
- George Hotel (Lviv, Ukraine)
- Evergreen Laurel Hotel (Thailand)
- Cotswold (New Zealand)
- Te Pania Hotel Napier (New Zealand)