Newest Review: ... store your bags so you can head straight to the park, or soak up the fun in the Splash Landing hotel which is next door. If the room is ... more
Splash Landings/Cariba Creek
Alton Towers Hotel (England)
Member Name: Muzza
Alton Towers Hotel (England)
Date: 31/07/04, updated on 01/08/04 (6321 review reads)
Advantages: Great atmosphere, Great food, Great holiday
Disadvantages: Expensive, Busy at peak times
It was my pleasure to visit the Splash Landings Hotel in May - what a great concept unique in britain in my opinion.
The Splash Landings Hotel opened only a few years ago next to the Alton Towers Hotel and is located inside the Alton Towers theme park - the uks biggest and in my opinion best theme park. Incorporated into the hotel is Cariba Creek the uks first hotel waterpark.
I stayed for two nights with park access for three days.
The hotel itself is well laid out with reception, restaurant, access to Cariba Creek, bar, shop and games room all centrally loacted with rooms on two seperate wings of the building.
The hotel throughout is Caribbean themed and the the sounds played through the PA system gives you a real feeling of being there.
The rooms do not lack detail either whether its the wall decking, rope banastades or coconut lampshades this is as close to the Caribbean without steppig off the British Isles. All rooms either sleep a family of 4 or 6 with a combination of double beds and bunk beds. In addition rooms have bathroom with bath and power shower, toiletries (we got Imperial Leather stuff), TV with some Sky channels and access to Alton Towers info channel, hospitality tray and desk with chair. Although pleasent for 2 people the rooms are not huge and are not helped by the large bunk beds.
Our room overlooked the outside pools of cariba creek waterpark but some did overlook the expanse of the carparks (not very Caribbean if you ask me).
Food is served in the restaurant which is built around and overlooking Cariba Creek waterpark. For both breakfast and dinner the restaurant serves a buffet selection and what a buffet at that!! Basically eat as much as you want, take as many plates as you want type scenari
o - and you are encouraged to do so!! Breakfast is included in the price although dinner is extra at £25 per person which is not particulary cheap for buffet style, althougth the food was excellent. Try the pork and Apple Sausages (yum yum)!!
Cariba Creek not as good as some indoor waterparks possibly because the outdoor section was closed either due to the weather or due to a lack of lifeguards (not sure on that one)! In saying that the theming was excellent and for kids and big kids alike many different things to do and play with (water cannons, water buckets, flumes etc).
Being in the Alton Towers park meant that all the entertainment was only a mono-rail ride away. You get park passes for the duration of your stay and can come in and out as many times as you want. You also get free access to Cariba Creek throughout your stay, but is restricted on arrival and departure days. You also get early access to the park via the woodland walk and a number of other offers included with your welcome pack.
Overall it is expensive but is in comparison to similar graded hotels in the Staffordshire area.
Not for every taste but I will certainly return!!!
1. Arrive early to make the most of you park passes.
2. Cariba Creek is quieter during the day.
3. Book breakfast and dinner times at the restaurant reception.
4. Ask for a pool side room if available.
5. Utilise the park early access offer.
6. Visit off peak if at all possible.
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Two views, just to be fair, of the Hilton, Sheffield
- Priceline sent me to the Arora International, Gatwick. Which was nice!
- It?s Hip To Be Square ? Le Méridien Gatwick Airport
- Kick a man when he is down
- A Must!
- A lovely wedding venue
- Cheap hotel near Kings Cross
- Lots of Fun at the Thomas Hotel!!
- CAN'T WAIT TILL STAY THERE AGAIN (Swindon - Disabled Room))
- A bargain hotel in central London
- Lynam's Hotel (Dublin)
- County Hotel (Carnforth, Lancashire)
- Premier Inn (Ashington, Northumberland)
- Ramada Hotel (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk)
- Best Western Castle Green Hotel (Kendal, Cumbria)
- Feathers Hotel (Norfolk)
- Premier Inn (Wakefield South)
- Hotel Edinburgh House (Edinburgh)
- Premier Inn (London Harrow)
- Hotel Novotel (Liverpool)