Newest Review: ... was the 1980's this was a real step change. The Garth was indeed very famous for its carveries. The pub was expanded in the 1980' / 90's ... more
Fantastic in its day
Garth Hotel (Stafford)
Member Name: bucksfizz66
Garth Hotel (Stafford)
Advantages: Convenientely located off M6 - right price, right location
Disadvantages: This place no longer exists - don't put this in your sat nav now
The Garth started out as a local pub and was even frequented often by my Dad especially on a Sunday, then it was bought and became more of an eating type pub - the type we are all familiar with now Brewers Fayre, Harvester etc but this was the 1980's this was a real step change. The Garth was indeed very famous for its carveries.
The pub was expanded in the 1980' / 90's and became a hotel, very much of the Holiday Inn ilk, it also had conference / function facilities and the restaurant was altered and became the Garden Restaurant. Which was indeed surrounded by gardens.
Facilities abounded and it was conveniently located just off J13 of the M6 on the A449 heading into Stafford, not so motorway bound as the Holiday Inn right by the junction and not as expensive as the Moat House at Acton Trussell - ideal.
However the 2000's came and the hotel was sold and re-developed. What stands there now is housing - indeed type the postcode for this place into your sat nav and you could have a very confused end of journey looking for a place that no longer exists.
It is a shame - I went there numerous times for conferences and wedding do's and even though I cannot recommend it now - it was good to remember.
Summary: Would be great if it was still there - but that's progress I guess
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- hotel miramar jersey
- The bloomsbury hotel (wasJjurys Inn)
- Disgusted with this so called leisure group
- Cramped for two weeks!
- Guoman Charing Cross Hotel
- Great location
- Ideal location.
- Good base from which to explore Oxford
- I bis be having a good nights sleep. (Only translatable to Bristolians!)
- BEWARE IF YOU ARE ILL!!!!
- Malmaison (Belfast)
- The Greyhound Inn (Ganton Scarborough)
- Premier Inn (Leeds East)
- Hotels in Northamptonshire in general
- Hotels in Northumberland in general
- Hotels in Oxfordshire in general
- The Victorian House Hotel (Glasgow)
- Ard-na-Coille (Newtonmore)
- Hotels in North Yorkshire in general
- Hotels in Nottinghamshire in general