Newest Review: ... 40 minutes to get in. We had be assured by a friend that it was well worth the wait however we were seated in a cramped corner with barely... more
Not quite up to scratch yet
Hotel The Savoy (London)
Member Name: stella58
Hotel The Savoy (London)
Advantages: still a classy establishment
Disadvantages: poor service, poor food
I visited The Savoy just before Christmas and had cocktails at the American bar and dinner at the Savoy Grill (Gordon Ramsay's new restaurant). I have to say that once I had got over the timeless elegance and class of the lobby and hotel interior I was actually quite disappointed.
The American bar was very busy and we ended up queuing for over 40 minutes to get in. We had be assured by a friend that it was well worth the wait however we were seated in a cramped corner with barely enough space to move. The cocktails were nice but average and the service was poor. I was also very disappointed with the dress code. The ritz for example requires that a tie be worn and no jeans etc in the bar. However in the American bar there were some people in tuxedos and others in wellies and jeans. This completely undermined the integrity of the bar and made people feel silly for having dressed up (which in a place like that should never be the case). A dress rule certainly needs to be enforced or at least made clear.
I enjoyed my dinner, however my friends complained that their steaks were overdone and the waiters were very slow to respond to our table. They served our after-dinner drinks at spearate intervals from eachother and even forgot some of them.
I think it was having teething problems from not being open very long, however for the amount of money you pay to go to this kind of place, especially with the amount of hype surrounding it I would have expected it to be faultless. I would be willing to go back and try it again in the future but after the teething troubles have hopefully subsided and it has once again become an established london landmark.
Summary: timeless elegance but with teething troubles
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Comfort In An Old Comfort Inn
- My Sachas Hotel Experience
- A piece of England hidden away in Lincolnshire
- It's 'shriging' off the bad reviews!
- Ibis Leeds Hotel
- A mixed package..
- Tangiers but in South Wales not Morocco
- Ibis is the biz
- Cheap And Cheerful And Surprisingly Roomy.
- A value for money hotel on the outskirts of Manchester.
- Hotel Lakeside (Cumbria)
- Hotel Ynyshir Hall (Powys, Wales)
- Thorpeness Hotel & Golf Club (Suffolk)
- Premier Inn Preston West (Preston)
- Premier Inn York North West (York)
- Premier Inn Worcester (Worcester)
- Grange Strathmore Hotel (London)
- Travel Lodge (Warminister)
- Travelodge Edinburgh Dreghorn
- Hotel Marmadukes (York)