Newest Review: ... the interior, dining/bar areas and rooms look very modern and contemporary. I stayed in the Hallmark hotel with my partner, for one night... more
Crown & Mitre: Getting There!
Hotels in Carlisle
Member Name: janharper
Hotels in Carlisle
Date: 07/07/08, updated on 07/07/08 (73 review reads)
Disadvantages: Some parts are old and the restaurant is very mediocre.
The Crown & Mitre Hotel Carlisle is right in the middle of the City. It is close to the Cathedral and The Lanes Shopping Area and an excellent location if you are staying over night and travelling the next day by train.
The City Centre is very compact and the area to the front of the Crown & Mitre is pedestrianised.
It looks out onto the old Town Hall and Town Square.
It very close to the Castle and convenient for Gretna Green and the Gretna Gateway Shopping Centre.
The Mitre (as it is known locally) was rebuilt in 1905 but the original Inn dates back to the Jacobite Rebellion in 1746.
There are 94 ensuite rooms and 50 of these have recently been refurbished. There also also new electric front doors and a new disabled toilet area.
These are all part of the latest refurbishment.
The Mitre is part of the Peel Hotels Group and has now acheived a 4 Star rating.
Wireless internet access is available in the lobby and Tavern Bar and there is a complimentary guest pc which offers internet access, word procesing and printing.
There is also a restaurant, swimming pool and whirlpool spa bath available to guests.
The Crown & Mitre also has nine meeting rooms of different sizes so it is an excellent centrally located hotel for seminars, meetings, etc.
At the back of the hotel is a gated car park with attendant which is difficult to get to as you have to drive down a very narrow sidestreet that is used mostly as a pedestrian walkway.
The hotel has had a lot of money spent on it but does not have a very good name locally as a function venue, or for its restaurant.
This is porobably because it takes a long time for local opinion to change when a landmark like this is refustrbished.
There has certainly been a lot of money spent to try to improve the image of the hotel and make it feel brighter and fresher.
Summary: Ideal for anyione who needs to be central in Carlisle.
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Not what it used to be
- Cheap, functional and next to a pub, what more could you ask for?
- Best hotel at this price by far (that I know of)
- It's not in Torquay and it's not Fawlty!!!
- STAY HERE IF YOU ARE CATCHING A FERRY!!
- Good location - lottery for the quality of the rooms!
- Simple, basic, nice hotel
- 4* Hotel for a Family of 3
- 1990's decor - up for a bit of retro?
- A cosy weekend
- Travelodge (Penrith)
- Ibis (Manchester, Charles St)
- Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
- Travelodge (Glasgow Central)
- Hotel South Causey Inn (Durham)
- Spa Hotel (Lancashire)
- Hotel Best Western Mornington (London)
- Hotel Hilton Stansted Airport (London)
- Hotel Express By Holiday Inn Stansted Airport (London)
- Hotel Travelodge Atlantic Wharf (Cardiff)