Newest Review: ... soapy goods in the bathroom and a television. There was also broadband available in the hotel reception. We tried to get onto this at one ... more
Cheap and cheerful
Ibis (Manchester, Portland Street)
Member Name: littlemissdaisy
Ibis (Manchester, Portland Street)
Date: 29/01/08, updated on 29/01/08 (65 review reads)
Advantages: The price
Disadvantages: The wait for your pizza
Our first impressions were great. The hotel is located on a busy street in the heart of Chinatown, Manchester. The reception was clean and tidy and the hotel certainly came across as a quality place to stay. An absolute bargain!! The reception was modern, quite contemporary in style with a bar area to the left. It was very welcoming.
The hotel has 127 rooms. I believe that the rooms in Ibis hotels are very standard and all look the same - this tends to be the norm with hotels of this type. The walls are cream with the exception of the curved bathroom wall which is green. The furniture is a light beech coloured wood and is all built into the far corner of the wall. There are two side cabinets on either side of the beds and there is also a desk/dressing table which is white. There is a wardrobe and stand for the television with shelves underneath it - these shelves hold the coffee and tea making facilities.
The bathroom was fantastic - odd but fantastic!! It looked like it had all been moulded out of one bit of plastic and manufactured outside of the hotel room, which I assume it had. It had then been slotted into the room and a wall plastered around it. The shower was powerful and there was always hot water, there was a huge mirror on the wall as well for all your beauty needs.
Inside the room there is tea and coffee making facilities, soapy goods in the bathroom and a television. There was also broadband available in the hotel reception. We tried to get onto this at one point and were unable to get it started, although this may just have been a wee glitch.
In the hotel there was a bar and seated area where you could have drinks and snacks, breakfast is also served here from 04:00am until noon. Snacks are available from the bar/reception 24 hours.
Alarm calls were available from reception on request which we made use.
There are two lifts in the hotel.
Climate control is available in the room for when you are too hold or cold.
The hotel is located halfway down Portland Street in the middle of Chinatown. This really is a fabulous location - only five minutes walk from the centre of everything including Piccadilly Station. The main shopping area is only a ten minute stroll and there are many bars and restaurants in the area.
~*~*~Food and drink~*~*~
We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel but had quite a few snacks. The food was great and reasonably priced. We also took advantage of the 24 hour bar service and ordered a margherita pizza at 3am while having a drink (or ten) in the bar. The only down point of the full weekend was that they forgot about the pizza the first time and had to put another one in for us - but we got it free so it was worth the wait!
The drinks were reasonably priced; we had quite a few drinks in the hotel bar after our nights out and also shared a bottle of wine.
There are many restaurants and bars around the hotel for your night out.
Near to the hotel is Manchester city centre just waiting for you to explore. Its also well worth having a wander around Chinatown as it's really lovely and vibrant.
Other attractions close to the hotel are:
History and national heritage
* Historic monument JOHN RYLANDS LIBRARY (1.00km)
* Historic monument MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL (2.00km)
* Historic monument MANCHESTER TOWN HALL (1.00km)
* Museums MANCHESTER MUSEUM (2.00km)
* Museums MANCHESTER UNITED MUSEUM (5.00km)
Culture and shows
* Cinema district CORNERHOUSE (1.61km)
* Cinema district THE PRINTWORKS (1.00km)
* Opera/symphony/concert hall BRIDGEWATER (1.00km)
* Opera/symphony/concert hall M.E.N. ARENA (2.00km)
* Opera/symphony/concert hall OPERA HOUSE (0.80km)
* Entertainment/theatre district OXFORD ROAD (1.00km)
Parks and Leisure
* Amusement park MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY (5.00km)
* Sports centre MANCHESTER AQUATICS CENTRE (1.61km)
* Sports centre SPORT CITY (4.00km)
* Stadium MANCHESTER CITY STADIUM (4.00km)
* Stadium MANCHESTER UNITED (5.00km)
* Stadium OLD TRAFFORD (6.44km)
* Stadium SPORTS CITY (1.61km)
In the surrounding area
* Closest major urban centre MANCHESTER CITY CENTRE (0.00km)
We arrived by bus and the hotel was a ten minute walk from the hotel.
Piccadilly station is a ten minute walk, as is Oxford Road Station. There is a tram station at the top of the road if you are arriving by this method,
We found the staff pleasant and helpful during our stay, particularly the night staff who had to put up with us sitting in the bar until all hours! ;-)
I called ahead to the hotel to ask if they would book us into a twin room, I was told on the phone that they didn't have any twin rooms in the hotel, which I found really strange but as it was my cousin, I didn't mind sharing a bed with her. When we checked in I asked again, and they said, fine no problem and gave us a twin room. This really confused me but I just let it go as I didn't see any point of questioning it at the time. So, if you are booking the hotel and you want a twin room; don't accept them telling you that they don't have any rooms.
We paid £56 per night on a room only basis which I feel was fantastic value for money.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who was planning a visit to Manchester, or indeed anywhere else that has an Ibis hotel. They are very much the budget hotel but they're more than comfortable and certainly give the likes of Travel Inn et al a run for their money. I will definitely be checking to see if there is an Ibis on any future city breaks that I take!
Summary: Affordable, clean and comfortable hotel
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Royal Albion Hotel - First Impression's are not always Best
- WONDERFUL FOR WEDDINGS
- Visiting Norwich, a clean, flexible hotel to stay near the City centre
- The Chedburgh B&B and Whitley Bay Nightlife
- The Cream of Cornwall
- A mixed package..
- Tangiers but in South Wales not Morocco
- Ibis is the biz
- Cheap And Cheerful And Surprisingly Roomy.
- A value for money hotel on the outskirts of Manchester.
- Ballycastle Backpackers Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Oxford Kassam Stadium (Oxford)
- Hilton Newport Hotel (Newport)
- Continental Hotel (London)
- Ibis London Wembley Hotel (London)
- Ibis Birmingham Airport Hotel (Birmingham)
- Premier Inn Wolverhampton City Centre (Wolverhampton)
- Ramada Jarvis Hyde Park Hotel (London)
- Mayfair Intercontinental (London)
- The Berners Hotel (London)