Newest Review: ... lobby area looks cheap and old fashioned, more like an old service station than a comfortable modern hotel. The staff were fine and che... more
Truly nasty place to stay
Gateway Hotel (Nottingham)
Member Name: fubaringly
Gateway Hotel (Nottingham)
Disadvantages: too many to mention here
I stayed over at the Gateway for a meeting in Nottingham during June 2008.
My stay was easily one of the worst I have ever had when staying in a hotel for work.
While first impressions were ok; lots of trees, a nice "moat" (well watery ponds in front of the building), things started to go down hill quickly when I arrived inside.
The lobby area looks cheap and old fashioned, more like an old service station than a comfortable modern hotel.
The staff were fine and check in quick, but then the walk to the room.
The carpet in the corridors looks like it was host to a 16 year olds birthday party, with stains all over it. The corridors smelled of smoke.
When I arrived at my "non smoking" room I was truly disgusted. The room had must have been lived in by a heavy smoker as it reeked of stale smoke, the window was open obviously to try and help but it really didn't.
The bathroom had been cleaned but you can't really clean off moldy floors, corners and the joint around the bath.
I didn't even want to sit on the bed let alone strip off and get in it.
To add insult to injury the room phone was broken so I couldn't request a different room without going back down to reception.
They did give me a cleaner, better and less smelly room for which I was eternally grateful. However I met 5 colleges in the bar and each of them had similar problems to me. One was moved from a room smelling of sick to one smelling of smoke (probably my first room).
If this hotel was the only one available for my next overnigher I would rather stay at home and get up at 04.30 than stay here again.
Summary: please don't stay there!
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Whitworth Falls Hotel gives great value for money
- A wonderful friendly inn in the Shropshire hills
- Best Western Hotel-Albufera Portugal
- Best Western- Preston England
- A Flying Visit
- Apex hotel London Wall
- Not to be confused with tea at the Ritz!
- Premier Inn, Inverness West.
- A great stay at the Holiday Inn, Portsmouth.
- Great short break
- Holiday Inn Express Oxford Kassam Stadium (Oxford)
- Inn On The Prom (St Annes on the Sea)
- Charlton House (Somerset)
- Ibis London Wembley Hotel (London)
- Ibis Birmingham Airport Hotel (Birmingham)
- Premier Inn Wolverhampton City Centre (Wolverhampton)
- Ramada Encore (York)
- Travelodge (Ludlow)
- Corsbie Villas Guest House (Newton Stewart)
- The Nightingale Lodge (Liverpool)