Newest Review: ... with lots of nice touches giving the impression of luxury. There are huge vases filled with fresh lilies and I absolutely loved it from th... more
Great value central hotel
The Kingsley Thistle (London)
Member Name: londongirl
The Kingsley Thistle (London)
Advantages: 5 minutes from Holborn tube and covent garden, reasonable price for london, newly refurbished
Disadvantages: no breakfast included
This hotel used to be called Thistle Bloomsbury but changed it's name to The Kingsley, ultimately though it is still owned by Thistle hotels.
My boyfriend and I were looking for a cheapish but nice hotel to stay in London one night - i actually live on the outskirts of london but since we had two days of things to do planned in london it made sense to try and stay in a hotel. After a lot of searching we found The Kingsley for £74 for the room for one saturday night - no breakfast just room only. THe hotel is located about 5 or 10 minutes walk from Covent Garden and 5 minutes walk from Holborn tube station.
I was nervous about the hotel as the reviews on tripadvisor had been mixed but mainly negative! It appeared that if you were lucky to stay in a refurbished room it was great but some of the rooms were from the 1970's in decor! However when we stayed in August I believe all the rooms had been refurbished. Our room was down a smallish corridor and the place is a bit claustrophobic but the room itself was very nice for the price - great decor , very modern,everything spotlessly clean. Lovely bathroom - again smallish but perfectly fine! Looked like it had been refurbished very recently.
Bed was comfortable, and there was a large dressing table with mirror , tea and coffee and biscuites supplied, a small table and chairs and it had air conditioning. THe room was quite hot without the air con - and the air con slightly noisy however once it had cooled the room down it was fine to leave the air con off and it didn't get too hot overnight - this was on a very hot weekend in August.
They tested the fire alarm on the sunday morning about 9am which wans't great plus we didn't know that it was a test and everyone was popping their heads out of the door in their night clothes unsure of what to do - but the hotel information book stated that the alarms would be tested - i can think of better times to pick than a sunday morning!!
That was the only complaint. The staff were fine - friendly enough and there was a left luggage storage which we used both on the saturday and sunday.
For the price - which was acutally cheaper than the Travelodge over the road i would definitely recommend this hotel.
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Disgusted with this so called leisure group
- Good location for a quick stop over
- Thorne in my side
- Travelodge - Budget Accomodation
- No quality to be found here
- Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
- Ideal location.
- Good base from which to explore Oxford
- I bis be having a good nights sleep. (Only translatable to Bristolians!)
- BEWARE IF YOU ARE ILL!!!!
- Mercure London Paddington Hotel (London)
- The City Hotel (Dunfermline)
- Aston Sheffield Hotel (Sheffield)
- Premier Inn Preston West (Preston)
- Premier Inn York North West (York)
- The Gailes Hotel (Scotland)
- The Drunken Duck Inn & Restaurant (Cumbria)
- Curtain Call Guest House (Stratford-upon-Avon)
- Number One B&B (Blackpool)
- Windmill Village Hotel, Golf Course and Leisure Club (Coventry)