Newest Review: ... It's just off the main roundabout that you get to when you take the A9 into Inverness so you'll be able to find it quite easily. T... more
Thistles but no thorns
Thistle Hotel (Inverness)
Member Name: song_of_calliope
Thistle Hotel (Inverness)
Advantages: Staff are welcoming, rooms are large and clean
Disadvantages: Not right in the centre of town
I have visited Inverness a number of times now and when I go I usually stay at the Thistle hotel. The Thistle is a fairly well-located hotel that is either a 15-20 minutes walk or a 5 minute taxi ride from the city centre. There are many other hotels that are closer to town but for the quality of the hotel, the Thistle can't be beat in price. There are usually good deals available on Laterooms.com and you will probably pay around £60 per night for two people, not including breakfast.
It's easy to find the Thistle. It's just off the main roundabout that you get to when you take the A9 into Inverness so you'll be able to find it quite easily. The hotel has its own parking lot which is great because finding parking in Inverness can be quite difficult. This is another reason I usually stay at the Thistle!
From the outside the hotel isn't much to look at but it brightens up significantly when you get inside. There is a large and open reception area with comfortable places to sit, and a nice bar in the back where you can have your first drink or two before heading out for the evening.
The rooms are quite large and are all en-suite and well decorated but not extremely luxurious. They are cozy though and very clean.
The stairs in the hotel aren't nice and they were obviously skipped over in what must have been a fairly recent redecoration project. There is a lift though and it has always been operational whenever I've been there.
Staff at the hotel are very friendly and eager to help. They've always called taxis for me happily whenever I've gone out for the evening and are also happy to recommend places to go in Inverness or draw a little map for you, whatever you need.
I haven't tried the breakfast there as it's around £7.50 per person which I find rather dear so I just always take something for breakfast to have in my room. However, I'm sure the breakfast is more than adequate and the restaurant where it's served looks modern, clean and inviting.
I definitely recommend the Thistle if you're driving to Inverness. If you're on foot, you probably will want something right in town. Also if you're staying at the Thistle, be sure to budget in some taxi money as you'll definitely want to take a taxi back if you've been drinking as the walk will seem far too long.
Summary: A friendly hotel at a decent price
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Great base to explore the Capital
- No room at the (Other) Inn
- Premier Inn
- Longshoot Hotel, Nuneaton. Great venue, great location
- Sleeping by the side of the Motorway
- The Daily Mail is Right. Prison IS like a Hotel
- Lucky White Heather ?
- A bargain hotel in central London
- Excellent cheap hotel in London
- Get your groove back at London's Grosvenor House.
- Travel Lodge (Warminister)
- Doubletree Hilton (Tower of London)
- De Vere Orchard Hotel (Nottingham)
- Premier Inn (Gatwick North Terminal)
- Welbeck Hotel (Nottingham)
- Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel and Spa (Blackburn)
- Birkdale Guest House (Southport)
- The Lorne Hotel (Glasgow)
- Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club (London)
- Travelodge York Central Micklegate