Newest Review: ... end of the video camera and this was the case for some minutes. Finally having gained entry, I handed over our printed confirmation and ... more
"What do you expect for £9"
Member Name: SugarSpun
Disadvantages: Absent customer service and a room that hadn't been cleaned.
I booked one of the Travelodge's £9 rooms to keep me off the streets between an evening flight into Luton and a morning flight out. In retrospect a night at the airport might have been nicer.
We arrived to find that entry is via a secured door, requiring that we buzz and talk into a video camera. Fine, except that there was no one there at the other end of the video camera and this was the case for some minutes. Finally having gained entry, I handed over our printed confirmation and was told that there was no way the room was this cheap and I'd have to pay again! I refused, the guy called his manager at home and - now 45 minutes after we arrived and about 4 hours till we had to get up again - we were finally given a key to a room. We requested a taxi for the morning and headed off to catch a couple of hours' sleep. The stairwell smelled ripe and there was a bag of dirty nappies sitting in a corridor, but by this time we didn't care.
This room had clearly been used as a day-room for someone with a few hours to kill. There was a wet towel on the floor beside the bed and hairs on the pillow. This paled into nothing when I went into the bathroom - shaving cream all over the sink and mirror along with a generous sprinkling of abandoned stubble, and hairs from various body parts in the shower.
We went down to the desk to complain and request a new room but were asked, What do you expect for £9?
Apparently very little. He wouldn't change the room, so we kept our clothes on and snoozed on top of the bed. He didn't call our taxi, either.
I wrote a snotty letter to Travelosge customer services when we got home from Budapest. They didn't reply.
Summary: Fine if you're really not fussy and can handle other people's hair in your bed.
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Cheap Canal Street Hotel
- A place to rest your head
- Jury's Inn Nottingham
- Basic but good place to stay
- Guoman Tower - Great Views, Even Better Value
- The Jury is in - this hotel is a guilty little pleasure
- Our Stay at the Windlestrae
- A good Premier Inn
- Rest for the weary traveller?
- A comfortable hotel offering exceptional service and food
- Premier Inn York North West (York)
- Premier Inn Worcester (Worcester)
- Grange Strathmore Hotel (London)
- Travel Lodge (Warminister)
- Doubletree Hilton (Tower of London)
- Ramada Jarvis Hotel (Hemel Hempstead)
- Melia White House Hotel (London)
- Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth
- The Banyers Hotel (Royston)
- Nesbitt Arms Hotel (Ardara)