Newest Review: ... We had a large desk, which the television was mounted upon, of course very basic and very basic channels, only consisted of about nine ... more
Great location, shame about the view!
Travelodge York Central Micklegate
Member Name: emj83
Travelodge York Central Micklegate
Advantages: Cheap price if booked in advance and great location
Disadvantages: Rubbish view- pricey if booked on the night
We stayed at the York Micklegate Travelodge on the 5th November- we thought we'd go up to York for bonfire night as we thought there might be some great celebrations as it is Guy Fawkes home town. The hotel is situated about a 5 mintute walk from the railway station- which was excellent for us as we got cheap train tickets up there. I don't think they have their own car park and the website recommends using the local NCP car park which can be quite pricey.
We booked our room in advance during one of Travelodge's many cheap room sales and paid around £18 for it- I think this is very reasonable for a Friday night in a popular city. This was booked several months in advance though and obviously as you near your date of arrival the price increases-from memory, someone who booked in on the evening in front of us in the queue paid around £75. This price is probably around the going rate for a night in York but as Travelodge rooms are pretty basic I think they are a little over-priced
We checked in smoothly, the lady at reception was very friendly and we were given a key card for our room. The room was a twin room- very clean and with a fabulous modern bathroom- a huge walk in shower and a large mirror over the sink. The room had adequate towels for us both (sometimes not the case in Travelodges), a tv with remote and drink making facilities and complimentary teas and coffees. The only disadvantage of the room was the poor view we got- a brick wall!!! We didn't go for the view (thankfully) though so it didn't spoil our stay. We didn't experience any noisiness though I imagine at the cheapness of advance prices that it may be popular for stag and hen parties at weekends so the noise levels may alter on a week-to-week basis. The following day, check out is at 12pm, we were interrupted by the cleaners who failed to knock at 11.30am to clean! This was a little bit disappointing but she apologised and left. Check out was smooth, we didn't use the bar or restaurant but there is one available for use.
Overall, I had a plesant stay there, the location of the hotel is excellent- it is surrounded by a few bars and restaurants with a supermarket underneath and is then only a 5 minute walk over the bridge and into town. I would definitley stay there again on an advanced saver rate!
Summary: Basic and comfortable and great location
More reviews in the field of Hotel National
- Very Pleasant Night's Stay
- A tastefully decorated and friendly hotel
- Pitching A Tent
- I can't think of a better place to stay outside Birmingham CC!
- A beautiful holiday cottage by the sea
- Premier Inn: a very helpful night's sleep in Edinburgh
- Lumley Castle - no ordinary hotel!
- Could be better...
- A night in the creaky Chesterfield Hotel
- Spotlessly clean, spacious and roomy, sadly devoid of personality.
- Holiday Inn Express Oxford Kassam Stadium (Oxford)
- Hilton Newport Hotel (Newport)
- Hampton Hilton Newport East (Newport)
- Mercure London Paddington Hotel (London)
- Premier Inn Wolverhampton City Centre (Wolverhampton)
- Wood Hall Hotel & Spa (Wetherby)
- The Spa Hotel (Durham Tees Valley Airport)
- Redesdale Arms Hotel (Moreton-in-Marsh)
- May Cottage (Ambelside)
- Buck House Hotel (Bangor on Dee)