Product Type: Dettol Household Cleaning
Newest Review: ... and scrubbing doesnt remove it. This spray by dettol is so strong you just spray it all over the affected areas, leave it for around 20mi... more
Farewell to mould and mildew
Dettol Mould & Mildew Remover
Member Name: MelissaRuth
Dettol Mould & Mildew Remover
Advantages: Removes mould and mildew from a range of surfaces. Easy to use. No hard scrubbing required.
Disadvantages: Not suitable for all surfaces. Can be an irritant to eyes, chest and skin.
A bottle of Dettol Mould and Mildew remover always lives in my bathroom cupboard with my household cleaning supplies and has done for a number of years since I moved to my current house. Unfortunately the back of my house faces north and with poor ventilation we have had problems with mildew growing in winter time on our bathroom and bedroom ceilings above the windows in this part of the house. The only way that I have found to keep this under control and not to look absolutely disgusting is by using the mould and mildew cleaner to wipe any black marking away from the ceilings and tops of the walls.
The mould and mildew remover comes in a bright light green spray bottle with a white lid and red trigger handle, so stands out visibly on a supermarket shelf. The red spray nozzle rotates with a relatively stiff turn, which would be hard for people with a loss of dexterity or strength of finger grip, through 180 degrees to allow the container to be sealed off and not inadvertently sprayed. This is an excellent safety device for small children as the contents are highly toxic and could cause harm if sprayed on the skin or eyes. A small warning label advises that the skin should be washed if the product comes into contact with it. On and off are embossed onto the nozzle but as they are also red I found that I was really peering quite hard to check that my bottle was turned to off.
The label has a large Dettol logo on the front. Dettol is a brand that I have grown up with and trust to provide excellent anti bacterial and cleaning properties, so I always feel secure if I buy one of their products. Although relatively expensive at £2.55 for a 750ml bottle from Tesco, I do know that it is money well spent. No product can ever claim to be able to exclude all bacteria and viruses as these are constantly able to modify themselves, but Dettol do claim that this product will kill 99.9% of them which is a pretty strong claim, and one that I obviously have no way of knowing how accurate it is. The label also advises that there is no need to scrub and that the product contains active bleach.
On the rear of the bottle there is a multitude of information which I won't repeat. Some of the more useful facts provided however are that it is suitable for use on chrome and stainless steel, formica and plastics, ceramic basins and toilets, acrylic bath and showers and glazed ceramic tiles and white grout. It should not be used on old or damaged surfaces, coloured grouts, rubber, unglazed tiles, enamel and painted, varnished and gold plated surfaces, wood and laminate floors, textiles and carpets, linoleum, polyamide and polycarbonate plastics (what are they?)
**Surfaces that I've used this on**
Oh dear - I've done it all wrong! It's a good job I didn't read all of that info on the label before I started using the mould and mildew remover or I'd never have benefitted from its ability to clean my walls and ceilings.
My bathroom ceiling is artexed and painted with a white Dulux kitchen and bathroom paint. In winter unsightly black mildew develops in the area above the shower and sink. On average every two weeks as this begins to build up I spray the area with the remover. I have not noticed any deterioration in the surface of this type of paint with regular use, although we do usually apply a fresh coat of paint every couple of years to remove any really stubborn marks that have remained.
In the bedrooms we have Dulux soft sheen paint. With hindsight I can see that the bleach has affected the paint surface, although it has made a pretty good job of removing the mildew. The paint has crackled in some places and it then becomes less easy to remove any marks and we have had to give it a complete sand down and repaint this spring. I had assumed that it was the moisture causing the crackling effect, but now reading these warnings, I fear it may be that this product is just too strong. There has been no discolouring of the paint however and I would prefer to have the crackles developing than to have awful black grime growing which I really wouldn't want to look at or sleep with the spores that must be produced.
The other surfaces that I regularly use this on are my glazed tiles and white grout (thank goodness I'm legitimately allowed to use it on these) that surround my bath and shower. Over time I find that an orangey pink kind of mould can develop in the grouting so when cleaning I spray them with the Dettol substance. All trace of this mould is removed by doing this. I've also used it on my white plastic shower control box and the spray is able to get into all of the little nooks and crannies and clean this effectively. It does not get rid of marks caused by calcium deposits however, which is a pain, but then it doesn't claim to.
**Using the mould and mildew remover**
The first point on the instructions is to wear gloves. Now I've never been good at doing this, but my hands are starting to show too many signs of ageing, so I'm now paying the price of having ignored this advice and have started to wear gloves. I would therefore strongly endorse this advice and always wear gloves as this is a strong product, even though it has caused no rashes or other skin irritation for me. It recommends testing on a surface and leaving for 3 minutes, just to check that there are no adverse problems. I then spray the product using the trigger from a distance of 20 - 25cm, liberally all over the required area and then leave to do its work for a maximum of 5 minutes, often less as I am too impatient to wait! This is where you see the miracle occurring. Surfaces return to their natural colour and all sign of those manky spores disappear. As it claims on the label there really is no need to scrub. I just give a gentle wipe over with as damp cloth to remove any residue - so easy! If I've sprayed the ceiling I also have to wipe the surfaces below as it does tend to drip. If these areas were directly above flooring I would suggest covering this just in case you get some white bleach spots. Luckily mine just drops onto the bath or window sill, so has caused no problems. I do also ensure that I'm not wearing my best clothes, just in case.
There is one area of concern that I have when using this cleaner and that is that I do notice some short term irritancy with my eyes and chest. My eyes always feel slightly prickly when I have been spraying this; even though I am spraying it in completely the opposite direction to my eyes, a fine mist develops which means that a small amount does come into contact with my eyes. I also find that I inhale some. Although I don't suffer from asthma I do seem to have a particularly sensitive respiratory system, so this may not be an issue for other people and it doesn't seem to cause my husband any concerns. I find that my throat constricts and it becomes a little harder to take a deep breath. I would recommend that asthma sufferers are very careful when using this. I probably make this worse when I spray the ceiling as the mist drops down and if the mildew has become particularly bad and needs more than a small spray I will ask my husband to do it. Obviously Dettol do not recommend that it is used in this way at all, so it is not a fault of the product. In summer I've only sprayed my tiles and I still have these side effects, but they fully wear off within a couple of minutes for my eyes and twenty minutes for my chest.
The good news is that my husband has at long last got around to ventilating our loft this year, so maybe this will be an issue of the past and only the tiles will need occasional attention.
This review also appears on ciao under the same user name.
Summary: An extremely effective agent that does just what it claims to on to on the label.
More reviews in the field of Household Cleaning
- Forget Fairy: this does the job for a fraction of the price.
- Superb disinfectant but really stinky!
- Fresh, strawberry summer!
- Febreze to the rescue
- Tough cream cleaner with a refreshing scent
- Mr Muscle gave me a helping hand today...
- The only reason I want to wash up these days.....
- Brilliant Combo
- Sainsburys Toilet Cleaner = Bit runny but does the job and ideal for everyday us ...
- Use Elbow Grease Without Effort!
- Fairy Sensitive Tea Tree & Mint Washing Up Liquid
- Fairy Silk & Orchid Washing Up Liquid
- Finish Professional Cabinet Glasswash Detergent
- Finish Dishwasher Salt
- Febreze Winter Plug In
- De.Solv.It Block That Stain Aerosol
- De.Solv.It Contractors Solvent
- De.Solv.It Electrical Contact Cleaner
- De.Solv.It Contractors Solvent Clear
- De.Solv.It Graffiti Remover