“ Brand: Cole & Bright / Type: Scented Candle / Category: Home Fragrance „
Cole & Bright Orange Candle tin
COLE AND BRIGHT
I had never heard of Cole and bright before I found these candles in my lovely discount store on the outskirts of Derby. This is the same discount store where I managed to get about ten Yankee reed diffusers for £5 each.
It appears that Cole and Bright do make a range of scented candles and also a huge range of pillar unscented ones as well. They hale from Lincolnshire from the bulb capital of the UK, Spalding.
This candle cost me just 85p so I thought it was worth giving it a try and when I opened the lid it smelled quite pleasant and rather sickly orangey sort of smell; it was like neat orange cordial and i wasn't too sure about it but thought ,maybe when it burns it will be nicer and anyway I wanted to try the entire range that my little bargain shop had so I popped this one in as well.
Like the other two I bought this comes in a flattish tin with a tin lid which has a plastic transparent centre so you can see the candle inside. The lid was not fixed down at all so I was able to open it and have a sniff before I bought it.
On opening the lid I was really surprised to see that the candle was decorated with small fruit, in this case a sort of half an orange and a couple of slices of orange! There were three bits of decoration on mine and the candle itself was a good strong orange colour. Initially I thought the decorations were plastic but it turns out they are wax and they melt as the candle burns. They did look nice on the top though and made it a bit different. The candle was a very much prange including the little decorations.
The blurb on the outside of the tin says this should burn for twelve hours but this is where this candle let me down. I would suggest it probably burned for half that time and left most of the candle around the outside unburned while the centre wick burned away completely. I was left with more than half the candle unused. I hate waste so I managed to remove the wax and use it as a tart in my burner and this worked pretty well but that is not the point the candle should not burn away in the middle like that and leave all the outside wax.
The smell however although a bit sickly when sniffed as a candle was much nicer when burning, it seemed to lose that cloying back scent that I didn't like in the candle. It was quite obviously orange and not a lot else and smelled a bit like more diluted cordial now and not exactly like a fresh orange being peeled as i was hoping. The smell carried well through the room when the candle was burning so that was a plus but it was a shame it didn't last a bit better as a candle as it promised.
BUT TAKE CARE
Obviously the usual safety warning come with this as with any candle and this are on the back in symbol form.
You should :
Never leave a burning candle unattended. If you go out then extinguish the candle as an animal could knock it over or a gust of wind or even the candle could become over hot and burn through the surface. This happened to a friend of a friend who put tea lights on her TV - they melted through the plastic and into the workings of the TV which caught fire!!
Use on a stable, level and heat resistant surface away from flammable objects. Curtains can blow and catch onto the candle flame so be aware where you place your candle.
Keep burning candles away from clothing, hair and also out of the reach
of children and animals as they can knock candles off surfaces if left unattended.
Always extinguish candles after use. Don't be tempted to leave even a tea light burning as you head off to bed as the consequences can be fatal.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THESE?
Yes and no, as a candle they were wasteful but as a cheap tart they represent pretty good value. They are very pretty and smell pleasant but the fact that they only burn less than half the candle is annoying. I am glad I only paid 85p for this and I hate to think what it cost at full RRP as this shop sells things for less than half price. I see on the Cole and bright site that they have small jars and these are selling for about £5 so I suspect this might have been the price range of this candle too. I would pay 85p again but at whatever price they were selling for there is no way I would go near it again despite the fact that the left over wax did make a pretty good scented tart.
I did actually go and buy a few more as I realised they do make great tarts when left so at that price they are a bargain as the amount left over still gives me at least four tarts.
Thanks for reading. This review may be posted on other sites under my same user name.