Newest Review: ... instead it cleans these with ease. I will definitely continue to keep on buying Fairy Liquid, no other liquid brand in my opinion can co... more
As good as any!
Member Name: aclevername
Advantages: Cleans your dishes effectively
Disadvantages: More pricey and no better than other brands
I am not really fussy on which washing up liquid we buy, but I think most people consider Fairy liquid as the best or if not, certainly the biggest brand name in washing up liquid. To be honest, I can't think of another washing up liquid that has ever been big enough to have a television advert!
I certainly haven't seen any for 'Morning Fresh' and I don't think Tesco or Asda are proud enough of their own brand washing up liquids to do a whole advert about them.
~ Price and availability ~
On a recent shopping trip we picked up 2 870ml bottles of Fairy liquid in Morrisons on offer 2 for £3.00. I have also just found out that it is 2 for £2.50 in Asda. Usually it is £2.00 per bottle.
It is available in all supermarkets and our local newsagents even sell it. You can also buy it in smaller 450ml or 650ml bottles.
~ Packaging ~
I bought the 2 870ml bottles of Fairy in lemon (yellow) and original (green). The green one is the one I am currently using.
The bottle is really large and although the bottle is shaped, it is so wide that it is difficult to pick up. The bottle is tall and flat with a red plastic flip top cap and a big Fairy sticker on the front. The sticker has Fairy original written on and there is a little logo of a baby and a picture of some bubbles. There is a red sticker on the top of the bottle which says 'up to 50% longer-lasting than the next best selling brand'.
The liquid is a dark green colour and does not seem majorly thick in the bottle - it slops around quite a bit.
The back of the bottle has a small sticker on with list of ingredients on and an address for Procter and Gamble (who make the product). Underneath the address it says 'Dishwashing liquid. Made in UK'. This is the only acknowledgement anywhere on the bottle that this is meant for washing dishes.
~ How do you wash up? ~
I don't like washing up as it is an inconvenience, but it has to be done and I have a set way of doing it, which seems to be far more logical than my other half's chaotic way of doing it.
1) I think it is best to start with a clean, empty washing up bowl and then squirt a circle of Fairy washing up liquid into the bottom of the bowl then fill it up with hot water, watching the mass of bubbles growing on top of the water.
2) I then wash with a sponge or cloth each of the plates, glasses, knives, forks, pots, pans etc. one by one starting with those that seem the cleanest. Note there is only ever one item in the washing up bowl at a time, which prevents you finishing the washing up, tipping the water down the drain and finding a teaspoon that you missed.
We start with the cleanest dishes because pans with dried on sauce or plates stained with dried on gravy will leave bits of food and scum in your water, which could then be transferred onto the next dish that you wash.
3) Once all the dishes are washed, tip the bowl of water and Fairy bubbles down the sink and clean/rinse your sponge or cloth and leave it by the side of the sink.
~ Use ~
Being a big, heavy bottle of Fairy I was concerned that too much of the liquid, being quite watery, might come out of the bottle into my washing up bowl, but I found it was quite controlled.
The liquid creates lots of bubbles and allowed me to clean my dishes effectively. I have never found any of the washing up liquids that I have used to be poor, just effective so I don't think this washing up liquid is any better than any other.
The smell of the original Fairy is difficult to describe. It smells like cheap, low quality lemonade whereas the lemon Fairy smells more of lemons. I actually prefer the scent of the lemon one, but prefer the colour of the original one as the lemon one is a bright yellow colour.
Gladly neither washing up liquid leaves a lingering scent on your dishes.
I don't particularly agree with Fairy's claims that this product is longer lasting than other washing up liquids - I don't usually by 870ml bottles of washing up liquid so I expect this bottle to last a bit longer.
~ Overall ~
While I don't think this washing up liquid is any better than any other I have used, I don't think it is bad. It does the job that I expect and get from every washing up liquid I have used including supermarket own brand products.
I would definitely buy it again, but will just as happily choose another brand.
Summary: As good as any - would buy again
- Miller Harris La Pluie Scented Candle
- Miller Harris Fleur Oriental Scented Candle
- Miller Harris Citron Citron Candle Mini
- Miller Harris Citron Citron Scented Candle
- Ecosoy Wax Melts Midsummer Night
- Out of The Blue Grow Your Own Venus Fly Trap
- Surf Bio Capsules with The Freshness of Herbal Extracts
- Wilko Oil Fragrance Vanilla