Product Type: Advent laptops
Newest Review: ... the laptop it was fine, but as new games come out and software gets better in quality this laptop has let me down. My choice of games that... more
Still going after 3 years and some trip ups along the way!
Member Name: nanook3890
Advantages: Big screen, good for everyday surfing and light usage
Disadvantages: Loud, gets hot, integrated graphics card, tinny sound quality
I got this laptop three years ago and it has served me well. It has a good size screen and the Vista system has been easy to use. Updates are easy and reinstalling Vista was fairly easy also. This laptop is good in that it has lasted me three years so far, as on two occasions I have got viruses and the whole thing has crashed. They were fixed and the laptop is still running fine.
Bad points for me about this laptop are:
- Integrated graphics card. I like to play a lot of games online and downloadable ones and when I got the laptop it was fine, but as new games come out and software gets better in quality this laptop has let me down. My choice of games that I can play on my laptop now is extremely limited because my graphics card can't be upgraded or replaced. A lot of games now require a pixel shader and my laptop can't do that. Also, my laptop is very slow and games can be laggy.I have nothing stored on my computer as I use a hard drive for everything, and playing games on my laptop still makes it slow.
- It gets very hot. I tend to use my laptop a lot, to work, to surf or to play games. The laptop gets very hot very fast and consequently the "lap" part is very difficult, even with the fan button on.
- It is very loud. Even when I am not doing anything taxing with my laptop it is very loud, so when I am doing something like running a video or playing a game it is even louder!
- Tinny sound from the speakers. I rarely use my laptop's speakers because of the tinny, quiet sound. I always plug better speakers into the headphone jack to listen to music or videos.
- The grooved plastic case is very hard to clean. It obviously gets dirty easily as hands are always on it and the grooves are so small that is makes it very difficult to clean.
- Short battery life. When I first got the laptop the battery life wasn't amazing, but now after 3 years it has about 15 minutes on it from fully charged so it has to be plugged in all the time. I understand that laptops deteriorate somehwat after 3 years but 15 minutes is a bit pathetic!
Apart from that long list of bad points (which are mostly applicable to me because of what I like to do with my laptop), my laptop is still in fine working order after such a long time which IS good. I am not sure that I trust it to last me very much longer, but I intend to use it until it decides to die.
Summary: An OK laptop if you don't play games or require a lot of space
|Ease of use:|
More reviews in the field of Laptop
- Excellent durable high quality Samsung RC520 Laptop
- An Excellent all rounder
- Long live the noble Macbook
- Fantastic Laptop - One Which I Love!
- Much better than it's predecesor
- you can get pink ones!!!!
- Scarlet Fever
- Good sturdy lap top
- Toshiba Satellite C-50-156. Performance Without Breaking The Bank
- A powerful laptop with great performance