Product Type: Apple laptops
Newest Review: ... scratch very noticeable and every spot of dirt stand out. Unlike Microsoft, I think Apple are genuinely innovative with their products. ... more
Apple MacBook MB062B/A
Member Name: joey92
Apple MacBook MB062B/A
Date: 26/07/12, updated on 26/07/12 (30 review reads)
Advantages: All listed above, too many to list here!!
Disadvantages: Costly repairs, disc drive sticks, heavy
A stunning 21st example of streamlined, high tech, smooth technology, Apple is the largest company in the world for a reason! Applications included are Apple's standard programs such as iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, Garageband and more. I have to admit that I don't use the laptop to it's full potential as I am not proficient in the more technical programs, though I would think that should you be so inclined to have a play, they would be quite accessible to the creative person.
Macs boot very fast compared to Windows machines and this makes use a whole lot smoother which is a notable difference from my previous Toshiba laptop.
Benefits and features of Macs include...
- Ease of use. They are incredibly user intuitive and you don't have to be a "genius" to use them.
- The "sleep" feature. You don't have to turn the computer off and on everytime you use it, simply put the lid down and the Macbook will automatically switch to "sleep" mode.
- Seamless transferring of music and photos between devices using iTunes and iPhoto. If you have an iPod or an iPhone this is a fantastic feature, as it uploads and syncs according to your preferences.
- Clarity of screen. The screen is very bright and can be adjusted accordingly with the brightness keys on the keyboard (clearly labelled).
- Volume control on the keyboard, music keys for play, pause and change tracks on the keyboard. These are very convenient and are compatible with frontrow, iTunes and the DVD player whether you're playing a DVD or music.
- Safari internet browser (one of my most used applications). This is an average browser, but works with the Apple laptop design as it is designed with Macs in mind. I prefer Firefox if I am not on a Mac, as it has a clearer interface.
- Internal disc drive which will play DVDs and CDs. This is prone to malfunction, as the design is internal and quite delicate - they need to work on this in future models. However, I like that you get an internal disk drive as opposed to the Macbook Air where you have to purchase one separately.
- 2 USB ports. These are useful for many things including USB memory sticks and printer connections.
- Easy to use trackpad. You can get a USB mouse if you prefer but then one USB port is used. You can also buy wireless apple mice (?).
- Solid design, sturdy. Unlike the Air, the Macbook has a slightly more solid design, which can make it quite heavy but also less prone to wear and tear.
- In built webcam. This can be used to Skype or video chat online and to make use of the app "snapbooth" which takes pics of you and your friends with various effects. Hours of fun!!
- Notepad - this is a word processor program like the Windows version. This is a basic word processor, so it is to be noted that Microsoft office is not inbuilt and you will need to pay separately for this package if you need powerpoint, excel and all the rest for work. This comes to approximately £100 for the lot.
- It is worth noting that there are a lack of games compatible with Macs. For Windows there is a lot more choice, so this is one of the drawbacks of an apple mac. If you own all your games in Windows format, you have to buy them all again.
- iTunes. iTunes works at its best with Macs as this is what it is designed for. This is the best piece of music software I have seen hands down. It incorporates your music library with all your mp3 tracks, video library and an iTunes store for buying tracks when you are connected to the internet. More modern versions include your downloaded TV series and movies and the Genius feature which will compile playlists based on preferences of all users.
The only drawbacks to this laptop I would say are the weight as it is not as portable as alternative Apple laptops and non-Apple notebooks. The other major drawback is the design of the keyboard, as it makes it very easy to break through accidental liquid spillage (which happens more often than you might think) and the expensive Apple repair service outside warranty.
The third drawback I will mention here is that sometimes the disc drive is prone to "sticking", and on my first Apple Macbook I remember a CD jamming in the drive.
The charger has broken twice already for me, this is to do with flimsy cables. This set me back £70 the first time I replaced it at the Apple store, but the second time I got it for £16 off eBay though I wasn't aware of this the first time it broke! You can get replacements for many parts on eBay at a fraction of the price you would pay in Apple.
To summarise, this is an elegant laptop with a range of professional quality editing tools for amateurs and professionals. It's included software is fantastic with iPhoto helping you create photo albums and iTunes showcasing your albums in "Frontrow", the interface for music and videos.
Great laptop with a range of features, the style and design of Apple laptops are second to none. It has a few drawbacks but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. Fashionable and functional, this laptop gets five stars from me.
You can't actually buy these new anymore, but you can buy Macbook Pro and Macbook Air, though some models will be available on eBay.
Summary: leader in the field of computing devices, Apple products are incredibly stylish and efficient
|Ease of use:|