Product Type: Dell laptops
Newest Review: ... the rest of the reviews and make your own mind up about this value for money laptop by Dell. It's well worth a look!... more
Dell Inspiron 1545
Dell Inspiron 1545
Member Name: cat_t
Dell Inspiron 1545
Advantages: Really good performance, even after 3 years. Reliable, tough, and a pleasure to use.
Disadvantages: Wobbly lid, not great battery life.
WHY I CHOSE TO BUY THIS COMPUTER
* I bought this computer in 2009 to use at University, for listening to music, watching films, and using Microsoft office programs for work. It was bought from Dell's online shop for £350.
* One thing I really liked about this laptop was that I could choose the colour of the lid, I opted for green. Doesn't seem like much but it's nice to be able to personalise a laptop and also helps to quickly identify which laptop is mine if it gets mixed up with someone else's of the same brand.
* The laptop has a large widescreen display of 15.4" so it is also great for watching films and online television on.
* 720p HD playback, so that I could watch high definition programs on it without loads of buffering.
* The computer also boasts a 'Celeron inside' processer, windows vista, and a DVD writer. The CD/DVD drive has been really useful for uploading music, saving work, and for playing dvds and educational software (some of my friends smaller computers don't have a drive).
* You can choose between 1, 2, or 4GB of RAM. I chose 2GB, to allow plenty of room for my work to be saved, plus a little music. I would have chosen 4GB had it not pushed the price up so much (almost £200).
* Three USB ports and memory card reader which makes uploading photos much easier.
* Can be connected to the telly with a lead and used as a DVD player.
* Speakers are surprisingly good, not 'tinny' at all like some of the other cheaper laptop options.
* Keyboard is responsive and nice to use.
* Trackpad is nice and sensitive, but not so much there is lack of control.
* Had it since 2009 and it is still as fast as ever (no waiting around for anything to open at all really).
* Dropped it on the floor recently (from a height onto a wooden floor - eek) and it survived, so they must be pretty tough!
* Other reviews say it's not great for games, I'm not a huge gamer (at all!) but 'The Sims' and other games I've tried play fine with no jolts or slowness.
* Passwords can be set for logging on.
* Sleep mode.
* Large screen which is good for writing on, editing photos in Photoshop etc.
* I have 3 years of work saved to this computer, plus photos and some music, and there is still surplus space.
* Buttons are a bit clunky.
* No webcam fitted in, not really an issue but most laptops come with them as standard now.
* Bit hard to get the right viewing angle (when watching films, or in the dark/bright light etc).
* The lid flops around a bit, it's a little wobbly in some positions. I never really noticed this until I used someone else's laptop though.
* Battery life leaves a lot to be desired - I never even bother with it now and just leave it plugged in. It can manage maybe up to about 2 hours with normal usage.
* It's not the lightest thing ever - not the heaviest either but I wouldn't carry it around with me unless I was sure I was going to need to use it.
* Overheats easily.
This is my first laptop, I don't regret choosing this one for one second. Sure it hasn't got the all of the most up to scratch features, and the body feels a bit cheap, but it does exactly what I bought it for. It is still performing as it did the day I bought it, 3 years on (after lots of knocks, drops, and boshes), so I would say this is a very reliable machine, and well worth the money if you are looking for a laptop with good performance for everyday use.
Summary: Reliable, survives dropping, not a great battery life, but still performs as it did when I bought it
|Ease of use:|
More reviews in the field of Laptop
- Versatile user friendly laptop
- Wow, so much better than my other laptop!
- A Beautiful Butterfly Net Book.
- Great laptop fast and light
- A good laptop
- A Great Investment
- If I Could Marry A Computer.. I'd Marry This
- Macbook pro review!
- Acer Aspire One 725 (I don't hate windows 8)...
- No longer a one-computer family!