I've had this laptop for about 3 years or so now, and it's doing pretty well by my standards. Designed to account for the clumsier types, travelling types and all those who may jostle their gadgets as they move them from A to B, the Lenovo R400 is a sturdy, hardy model, that wouldn't ever go down without a fight.
Lenovo themselves describe the structure as having a 'roll cage' of sorts, as well as the capability to shut down the hard drive (to protect data) if dropped or knocked about.
- A very quick, elegant and responsive piece of equipment. Honestly, it's been a pleasure to own;
- No major hardware faults within the first 3 years;
- The frame doesn't scratch/damage easily;
- A decently sized screen that is easy to work on.
- 4 hour battery life (this has diminished to about 3h15min after 3 years, for me)
- Straight from the factory and sold via a company who'd bought them and then decided they'd never need them (so essentially brand new), the R400 did not come with a CD drive. Rather, there is a panel at the side, and users would be required to purchase the drive separately (or alternatively buy an external drive).
- Only 3 USB ports: there are hundreds of gizmos these days that you might pick up and want as something of a 'permanent' attachment to your laptop. And everything seems to be USB powered. So, there is an element of disadvantage with only 3 USB ports (2 located on the left side panel, and one on the right, near the hinge by the screen). There is the option of buying a multiport hub, but this reduces mobility a little, as it's just extra to carry around.
- Minor hardware faults: whilst cleaning the keyboard, the hooks that hold one of my keys (the 'm') key on snapped off (surprisingly easily), so this key constantly falls off.
- A little bulkier than some more recent laptops.
A positive experience. A couple of minor things that I'd fault but generally a decent laptop, and well worth the money.
I would really recommend this laptop to anyone, it is really well built and sturdy. After having purchased previous laptops which i found to be very fragile and break easily this laptop has been brilliant, i have had it for 2 years now and it is just as good as new, great for the younger students or those who travel frequently as it can withstand a great deal. The laptop uses a touch pad button to move the cursor which may take some getting use to but i have found it to be no problem, the keyboard is also very sensitive to touch making it very easy to type with. The screen is a good size and has good colour definition. This laptop may not be the best looking but it has exceeded my expectations, it was a good price and you definetly get value for money, if you are looking for a laptop that will last then this is a great choice.
The new ThinkPad R400 notebook, like all of Lenovo`s R Series notebooks, is perfect for everyday computing offering mainstream performance and features at a great price. And R400 notebook is ideal for either home or office. By combining the latest Intel technology, graphics and a variety of wireless solutions, the ThinkPad R400 is designed to boost performance and help you work smartly and efficiently.
|Product Description:||Lenovo ThinkPad R400 7439 - 14.1" - Core 2 Duo P8400 - Vista Business / XP Pro downgrade - 1 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD|
|Operating System:||Vista Business / XP Pro downgrade - pre-installed: Windows Vista|
|Processor:||Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz / 3 MB Cache|
|Memory:||1 GB DDR3|
|Storage:||160 GB HDD / 5400 rpm|
|Optical Drive:||CD-RW / DVD|
|Display:||14.1" 1280 x 800 / WXGA|
|Graphics:||Intel GMA 4500MHD|
|Networking:||802.11 a/b/g/n (draft), Bluetooth 2.0 , Gigabit Ethernet , fax / modem|
|Battery:||6-cell - up to 5 hours|
|Security:||Trusted Platform Module (TPM 1.2) Security Chip , fingerprint reader|
|Dimensions (WxDxH):||33.6 cm x 23.8 cm x 3.5 cm|
|Microsoft Office Preloaded:||Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC.|
|Localisation:||English / United Kingdom|
|Environmental Standards:||ENERGY STAR Qualified , EPEAT Gold|
|Manufacturer Warranty:||3 years warranty|