Product Type: Qualacast Lawn Mower
Newest Review: ... take a good throttling before it would pack up. Unsurprisingly, like I first thought it has been reliable. Always starting up and no m... more
Lot less bover than a hover.
Qualcast Elan 32
Member Name: Big_Steve
Qualcast Elan 32
Date: 25/03/02, updated on 25/03/02 (3306 review reads)
Advantages: Quality of cut, Grass collection, Quiet
Disadvantages: Mobility, Sharp blades, Blade sharpening
I finally got rid of my Flymo hover mower that endlessly dumped large clumps of grass mulch over the lawn and opted to purchase an electric cylinder mower, the Qualcast Elan 32.
When unboxed, the mower does require some simple assembly:
(1) The handles need to be attached ? just by pushing some bolts through the handles and hand tightening.
(2) The grass collection box needs to be carefully clipped together, once this is done correctly the box is quite firm.
(3) The cutting blade requires careful adjustment: This requires the use of a screwdriver to accurately adjust the set of the cutting blade. Cylinder mowers cut the grass between the rotating blade and a fixed blade, in a similar method to a pair of shears. The blades need to be in very close proximity for the cutting action to take place. Once correctly adjusted the mower will provide a much better finish than a rotary motors ?hacking? blade.
Once the mower is set up as above it gives excellent results, the grass is neatly cut and thrown well back into the grass-box. The box is simply removed through the handles of the mower. Stripes are easily obtained by mowing the lawn in straight up-down paths.
The mower does exactly what it says on the box ? if you follow the set-up instructions and spend some time adjusting the set of the cutting blade.
More reviews in the field of Lawn Mower
- Flymo Compact 330: a cut above?
- Flymo downside
- cut to the quick
- The Four Wheel Fiasco
- its a lot more bother with a hover
- It's a lot more bovver with a hovver
- A Cut Above the Rest? No, not Really.
- Spring Has Sprung, The Grass Has Ris - - and it Needs Cutting!
- Are cheap mowers worth buying?
- 'Ready, Set, Mow'!