Newest Review: ... to say that it is alcoholic blackcurrant cordial. Cassis is a blackcurrant flavoured liqueur which can either be drunk on its own with i... more
Creme De Cassis
Member Name: cools952
Creme De Cassis
Advantages: Great to mix with white wines and fizz
Disadvantages: Sticky bottles, not so good neat
Following a recent "Come Dine With Me" style dinner party competition we're having with some friends, I decided to buy a bottle of Creme De Cassis from Sainsburys, I believe Gabriel Boudier Dijon was the exact brand. Creme De Cassis is one of the ingredients to the excellent but simple Kir Royale cocktail - one part Creme De Cassis, four parts champagne. The drink went down really well when served with my opening nibbles and earned me some extra points!
The bottle cost around £10 for 50ml and I was rather left thinking "what do I do with it now?" after the party. For those of you that haven't tried it, its a little bit like a 20% proof alcoholic Ribena syrup and is a traditional French liqeur. Sampling it on its own is a little overpowering for me and it made me feel like my teeth were rotting!
Where Creme De Cassis really comes into its own is as a mixing drink. I've already mentioned the beautiful Kir Royale recipe which is a simple but effective twist on a glass of champers and is best set off with a blackberry or other piece of small fresh fruit to really give it a fancy look! The beauty of it though is that it can be mixed into virtually any white wine, whether fizzy or not, to give it a fruity edge and can make an unpleasant wine taste better. It can also be dropped into non-alcoholic drinks such as lemonade, just be careful how much you drink!
The manufacturers go further in recommending that it can be added to mineral water with ice to make, I'm guessing, an alcoholic Ribena type drink (just don't mix it up with the real thing and give it to the kids!) or can be poured neat over ice cream to create a sort of fruity alcoholic coulis.
Creme De Cassis is quite a versatile drink although I wouldn't recommned drinking it neat. Also, bear in mind that the bottle gets ridiculously sticky!
Summary: A decent drink best used in conjunction with others
More reviews in the field of Liqueur / Cocktails
- A cheap Malibu! What more could you want?
- WKD Blue - a staple in any student's liquid diet!
- Tasty and slightly stronger alternative to alcopops
- Smirnoff Ice - One of the original alco pops - Lemon and Lime flavours
- Archers Peach County Schnapps - A true English classic of peaches
- Archers Aqua - A touch of alcohol within a refreshing drink
- Baileys with a hint of coffee - not the best of combinations........
- A warming treat
- Mini-Gift Incl. Schönbrunner Gold & Absinthe Grüne Fee In
- Schönbrunner Gold Liqueur
- Wiener Blut Liqueur
- Williams Pear Schnapps
- Pfau Marille
- Gabriel Boudier - Les Paradoxales Liqueur a l'Orange
- Gabriel Boudier - Guignolet de Dijon
- Gabriel Boudier - Creme de Peches (Peach)
- Gabriel Boudier - Creme de Myrtilles (Blueberry)
- Gabriel Boudier - Creme de Mures Sauvages (Blackberry)