Newest Review: ... feel that this design detail, combined with the product label can be something that helps the Southern Comfort bottle stand out on superma... more
Welcome to the hospitality of the Old South
Member Name: Whizz11
Advantages: Really unique taste
Welcome to the hospitality of the old South, where the drinks are long and cool and bring you comfort.
Randomly, I first tried Southern Comfort on a school exchange trip to France many moons ago. My friend and I stumbled across a men only bar but somehow managed to get served and stay in there, it was probably due to the language barrier and the fact that we were only 17! The men in there ordered Southern Comfort and lemonade and from then on I was hooked, I loved it then and I still love it now. I still kind of think of it as an old mans drink and something a bit special but that's probably because at 17 this was quite a grown up drink to be drinking.
Southern Comfort is an American liqueur made from neutral spirits with fruit, spice and whiskey flavourings. It is quite a dark liquid although not as dark as some Whiskeys. According to an article I read, "The brand was originally created by bartender Martin Wilkes Heron in New Orleans in 1874, and is now owned by the Brown-Forman Corporation. Although the original product contained whiskey, the current formula for Southern Comfort only contains whiskey-tasting flavoring rather than actual whiskey (except for the premium version called "Special Reserve").
The taste is quite hard to describe, it is quite fruity and strong and has a very distinctive taste, once you have tried it you will never forget. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this but obviously it's up to you how strong you make it and I find it's a nice alcoholic taste, not too strong or one that makes your body shake when you drink it. Like I've said above I mix mine with lemonade and I find it's best to add some ice to it too.
A wonderful old south tradition.
Summary: Southern Comfort
More reviews in the field of Liqueur / Cocktails
- Aint Life a Breeze!
- Step away from the Jager bombs
- Lambrini goodness!
- Mint Baileys
- Sugary Fruity Drink With a Hint of Alcohol
- I'm nutty for Baileys!
- Kahlua - The lovely coffee liquer - Has a good kick and mixes well
- Passoa - bring a taste of passionfruit to the glass - make mine a large one
- Is it the best alchopop?
- Liqueur Manner Neapolitaner + Casali Schokobananen”
- Liqueur Caramel + Strawberry / Vanilla
- Casali Rum Coconut Liqueur
- Forest Raspberry Schnapps
- Manner Neapolitaner Liqueur
- Alt Wiener Schnapsmuseum Apricot Schnapps
- Alt Wiener Schnapsmuseum Caramel Cream Liqueur
- Schnapsmuseum Mini Liqueur Or Absinthe
- Liqueur Casali Schokobananen + Casali Rum Kokos”
- Liqueur Manner Neapolitaner + Casali Rum Kokos”