Newest Review: ... properties in the area * Natural world - beautifully photographed features on natural wildlife in the area, both left to their own devic... more
The Devon Lifestyle magazine
Devon Life Magazine
Member Name: cerys82
Devon Life Magazine
Advantages: Beautiful photography, interesting articles
Disadvantages: A little high-end
Devon Life is a lifestyle magazine aimed at residents in Devon. It comes out monthly and is available for £3.25 from supermarkets and newsagents in the county, coming in at just over 220 pages.
Just to give you an initial sense of the content of the magazine - the contents page is divided into the following sections.
* Places - a number of features on particular towns or areas within Devon. The photography in these sections in particular is just beautiful, painting even shop fronts and more urban areas in a fresh and attractive light.
* Leisure, Travel and Sport - information on recommended country and coastal walks, features on pursuits such as sailing and horse eventing etc.
* Property - advertising features and articles on particularly desirable, not to mention aspirational and extremely expensive properties in the area
* Natural world - beautifully photographed features on natural wildlife in the area, both left to their own devices and those that are move captive or conserved.
* People - articles on local prominent people from a business and creative standpoint
* Food and drink - profiles of notable restaurants, recipes from acclaimed local chefs (be warned these are firmly on the more complex and fancy side)
* Community - campaigns in the region
* Arts, crafts and antiques - art and creative products from the region and their producers
* Business, science, education and law - features on small businesses, entrepreneurs etc
* Lifeline - details on charity campaigns
* Fashion - as you would expect features on clothing, but from independent stores in the area.
* News, views and out and about - photographs of social events, a what's on diary, features on specific events and agricultural shows
* Gardens - features on particularly notable gardens in the area
* Homes and interiors - a look inside particular stylish homes, features on interior design products that are locally produced
* Competitions and reader offers - just as you would expect!
First off, this is a great looking magazine. The photography is about as good as you will see in any magazine anywhere. The articles which are on particular towns and places in the region are informative although slightly brief as the photography does rather take prominence. However, its features are fairly distributed throughout the region, not really showing a preference for any particular area. Alongside the information about sights, the articles also bring out interesting facts about the unique histories of towns and areas.
It is fair to say however, that this is probably aimed at shall we say, the wealthier residents of the region or those who have money and are looking to move in, indicated by the sheer number of prestige properties featured on its advertising pages.
However, it does do a lot of good by giving extensive features over to smaller local producers in the region, from independent restaurants and bespoke craft companies - thereby helping to maintain a good deal of attention for those in the local area who do not have massive advertising budgets and therefore might not garner much attention other than word of mouth.
Despite its faults, and the fact that it does not really have the widest appeal it is still an enjoyable read and will encourage you to visit areas that you may otherwise not know anything about. An occasional casual read, rather than an essential one perhaps - but well put together nonetheless.
Summary: An interesting but not essential read.
More reviews in the field of Magazine / Newspaper
- A Cosmopolitan without the vodka, cointreau, cranberry juice and lime!!!... but ...
- Gardening is the new going out!
- Guilty pleasures in your gossip fix
- OK! What happened!?
- The Harmony Hut of children's literature.
- The issues that matter to me
- Good general interest magazine for children
- Taking readers to infinity and beyond