Newest Review: ... One of my favourite parts of the magazine is the Makeovers feature. Every month they focus on a different room of the house; in the Sept... more
A magazine about real homes and real people
Member Name: alyson29
Date: 12/05/10, updated on 26/02/11 (45 review reads)
Advantages: Useful tips and inspiring decorating ideas
I bought my first copy of Your Home magazine about 2 and a half years ago when a friend told me there was a coupon in it for a free tin of Focus paint. As I had just moved house and needed to undercoat all of my walls this was an ideal way for me to save some money.
Whilst I admit I initially bought the magazine just for the voucher, I was somewhat surprised I'd never discovered this fabulous magazine before. Your Home is a monthly magazine costing only £1.99, so considerably lower than some of the other house magazines available.
I'm looking at the May issue for the purpose of this review which has 128 packed pages of great tips and inspirational ideas.
What I particularly like about this magazine is that it's about real people and not full of products out of my price range as you get with some of the house magazines.
The May issue looks at the following; some of which are regular features in the magazine:-
· Decorating tips is a permanent feature in the magazine and I find this particularly useful as it gives short reviews of new products and provides you with ideas for choosing colour schemes
· Becky's DIY section regularly features, with the May issue giving tips on mending broken fences, replacing paving slabs and repairing a shed roof
· Managing on a tight budget. This features regularly and tends to look at how you can save money and sometimes gives information on how to make extra money. I've discovered many useful tips after reading and have managed to save myself some money in the process
· There's always a Question and Answer Section where readers ask the experts about various decorating problems they are experiencing. The May issue looks at how to remove spilled wax from your carpet (this was great for me as I tipped candle wax on my carpet months ago and had no idea how to remove it!!)
· There's a Make Do and Mend Section which focuses again, on saving money and shows readers how to repair any broken items that they may have rather than just throwing them away
· Every month provides a list of "must do" jobs for that month, such as revamping your patio furniture and making your home more energy efficient
· A regular feature is "Real-life reader homes". I particularly love this feature, which is set over approximately 12 pages and shows inspiring ideas and tips that real people have introduced in their own homes. I have used many of the ideas in my own home as I have found them extremely useful
· The recipes section is a permanent feature in Your Home, where you will find many tasty meals to cook. This month's issue features heavily on vegetarian meals which is great for me as I get stuck on thinking of what to cook for my vegetarian sister
· Gardening is also a great permanent feature of the magazine as they give you tips on what you should be doing for that month. The May issue gives fantastic tips on growing vegetables and provides you with a list of which vegetables are suitable for sowing in May. I love the gardening section as this year I'm growing runner and French beans, tomatoes, lettuce and carrots
· The back page of the magazine always addresses Eco issues and provides extremely useful information such as reducing household waste by composting and using environmentally friendly paints
The magazine is well worth the money and I always keep all of my old copies as I find I'm always referring back to them for ideas and tips. If you have children, there are always some great ideas on crafts and cookery, which will keep them occupied for hours.
I wish I'd discovered this magazine earlier as there is so much in it for such a very low price. I would highly recommend Your Home and give it 5 out of 5 dooyoo stars.
I hope you found my review useful and would thank you for reading.
Summary: A great inexpensive magazine focusing solely on real people
More reviews in the field of Magazine / Newspaper
- Practical photography help
- Really good fashion magazine
- STARS REVEAL ALL THEIR DIRTY WASHING!.....NOT GOOD FOR THEIR KIDS THOUGH!
- Read all about it in the Daily Growl
- The Fairytale is Over...
- My Motivation and Inspiration!
- Cross Stitch Crazy for cross stitch fun
- If you like adverts, you'll LOVE this mag