* Prices may differ from that shown
= = = = = =
The product is made by Models Own and is an eye-shadow kit which creates a Smokey look. The Smokey eye kit is available to buy in 6 different colours including Smoulder, Sensual. Sultry, Simmer, Seduce and Sassy. Most of the Smokey eye kits are a brown colour, but also includes a black/grey kit and a blue kit as well. I prefer wearing darker colours as I find it brings out the blue in my eye's more so I decided to buy the Sultry kit which contains the grey and black eye colours. As the product came with a guide on how to apply the product I was hoping I would be able to create great looking Smokey eyes in no time.
I don't often wear eye-shadow and only tend to wear it when I'm going out on a night out on the town. I have purchased many Smokey eye kits in the past and have been impressed with some of them, how-ever I seem to remember letting my sister borrow my last kit so I thought I would purchase a new one for me. When it comes to make up, I love trying out new products and experimenting, so I couldn't wait to try this kit out.
= = = = = = = =
I purchased this from my local Boots store for £8.00 which is quite expensive, how-ever I was willing to give this product a try which is why I purchased it compared to my normal brand of eye-shadow which also creates a Smokey look. You can also purchase this from www.modelsownit.com for the same price.
= = = = =
The eye shadow comes in a small plastic box which holds the eye-shadow palette and 2 different brushes which sit either side of the eye shadow palette. When you open the box you will notice that this is all held in place in a clear plastic tray. The eye shadow is in its own clear plastic packaging with a lid and it states Models Own on the front in white writing. You can clearly see 3 different coloured eye shadows which includes silver, a dark grey and a black which looks slightly sparkly. On the right hand side of the tray is a small brush which has soft bristles. The bristles on this brush aren't too long. On the left hand side of the tray is another brush the same size; how-ever the bristles are slanted slightly, which must be for when you apply the product. In the box is also a leaflet on how to apply the product for a Smokey look.
Using the Product
= = = = = = = =
The leaflet includes pictures and words on how to apply the product for Smokey eyes. There are a total of 6 steps to apply the product to your eyes to create the desired look. There are three colours to the eye shadow set which includes metallic silver, grey and a glittery black colour.
1. Prime your lid with a primer or petroleum jelly (Vaseline). If you have an eyelash curler now's the time to use it. I always use a primer before applying make-up anyway so this was a normal part of my routine. I did use eyelash curlers as suggested.
2. Use your index or middle finger to press the lightest shade from the upper lashline to the brow bone. Make sure that the colour at the edges of your eye fades out. This colour is very metallic and you only need to use a little of this as a little goes a long way.
3. Use the angled brush and the medium shade (grey), to make a sideways 'U' shape along the crease of your eye and the upper lashline. Stop about one quarter away from the innermost point of the crease and half way along the upper lashline. The medium shade didn't show up particularly well, but I applied it as suggested using the brush which was easy to use.
4. Blend the 'U' sideways with the shading brush and your fingertips to soften. Add more of the lightest shade to the centre of your lid if necessary. Using the shading brush is very easily and the colours blend well together, although it was still quite hard to see a huge difference between the 2 shades.
5. Use the angled brush and the darkest shade to draw a fine line along your upper and lower lashline, along the crease and also on the outside corner of your eye. The angled brush is easy to use due to the point on one end of the brush. As I applied this I did notice that small dust from the eye shadow did fall off just under my eye onto my cheek area. This was a little annoying as I had already applied my foundation. I was hoping that it wasn't going to leave black smear marks on my face.
6. Blend like mad with the Shading Brush. Finally add Liquid Eyeliner and Mascara to create a strong and dramatic look. When blending with the brush the make-up starts to look really good as it all blends very well together to create a gorgeous Smokey effect. I did apply liquid eyeliner and black mascara which made it look much better.
= = = =
My eyes looked brilliant and I loved how easy it was to create the Smokey eye effect. Some of the eye shadow did fall down under my eye and slightly onto the cheek bone area. I did brush this off lightly using a clean make-up brush, how-ever this did smudge a little so I had to apply some loose powder over the top to cover this up and make my foundation look flawless again. My make-up stayed looking great all night and didn't really smudge or wear off during the night. The eye shadow was king to my eyes and didn't cause any irritation or make them feel dry. The make-up was easily removed with a make-up remover wipe.
= = = = = = =
I thought this Smokey eye kit was brilliant as the instructions are really helpful with writing as well as pictures so you can ensure you create the perfect look. I like to take my time when applying make-up so I took a good 5mins ensuring the look was how I wanted it. The brushes are really easy to use and help you create the perfect look. I thought it was going to be hard to create Smokey eyes, even with the kit; how-ever I was really pleased with the results. If you want to create Smokey eyes then this kit is just perfect. You don't have to use liquid eyeliner; how-ever I prefer the look with this so I use it every time I use this eye shadow. I have sensitive eyes and skin and this product was fine and caused no irritation to my eyes. In terms of value this does sound pricey; how-ever I think other Smokey Eye kits from other brands are around the same price. To keep the brushes clean I was them in luke wamr water with a facial wash product and leave them to dry naturally which doesn't take long. This product deserves a full 5 stars and I will be using it on a regular basis.
(review also on ciao)