Product Type: Iceland Meat / Fish
Newest Review: ... may even like them in a sandwich. They are thick, filling and i think one of Icelands best and most tasty frozen meat products. Each pac... more
Breast is best - in a chicken strip that is
Iceland Chicken Breast Fillet Strips
Member Name: sandra101
Iceland Chicken Breast Fillet Strips
Advantages: Nicest southern fried chicken strips I have tasted
Disadvantages: More coating than chicken
My two boys are very different in their tastes the 13 year old will only eat top quality meat and the 11 year old only eats ghastly processed types of meat. My daughter eats anything. My brother didn't believe me that they could easily tell the difference between processed and real meat but on holiday a few years ago anytime we ate out in either France or England they proved him wrong as whether it was chicken nuggets or burgers one always claimed it to be lovely and the other gagged and couldn't eat it. The quality of the meat content of the burger or chicken deciding which one could eat it.
I feel the same way as my eldest son, I can't eat plastic ham, pretend sliced chicken and anything which is referred to as chopped and shaped. My elder son and I can see through those manufacturers who claim their chicken is 100% chicken fillet, yeah maybe the chicken bit is 100% but they are obviously adding lots of something else because it doesn't taste anything like real chicken.
To get to my point I find a lot of the breaded, coated or southern fried chicken breasts or pieces taste absolutely nothing like chicken - These strips according to the fussy son and I do.
- - Packaging - -
These strips can be found in the freezer section of Iceland in a bright red box with a picture of very inviting strips of coated chicken fillet strips on a bed of lettuce. The best bit about the packaging was the large yellow box on the front with £1 printed on it in thick black ink.
Further down the box we find the claims
made with 100% chicken breast fillet
No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
No GM ingredients
Three of the most important claims to be found on this sort of food.
- - Contents - -
We had eight strips in the box ranging from ½" to around 1" width at the thickest part, there is a substantial southern fried coating surrounding the chicken and even uncooked they look quite appetising compared to other similar products.
- - To Cook - -
Pre-heat oven to 200oC and cook for 17-20 minutes. I put them on the tray with the oven chips and they are only slightly singed after 20 minutes at 220oC. (We like things well done and only having to wash one oven tray).
Each strip contains 57% chicken breast the other 43% presumably making up the coating which contains palm oil, breadcrumbs, wheatflour and flavourings.
- - Finished Result - -
The strips have turned a nice rich golden brown and look very crispy. When transferred to the plate they certainly look appetising and they smell very spicy although it would be difficult to make out exactly what ingredients create the tasty aroma.
- - Taste - -
The strips are crisp, tasty and contain strips of whole unadulterated chicken breast, no chopping, shaping and filling with extras going on here. The taste of the coating is gorgeous, strong, flavoursome and very spicy it is the nicest and most like KFC that I have had but the amount of coating completely overpowers the taste of the thinish bit of chicken fillet therein
it feels as though you would need a little extra chicken in each bite to mellow the spices a little.
Allergy advice - Contains gluten and soya
Made in an area that uses coconuts, nuts and sesame
Fat 10.3g per 100g
Sat fat 4.8g per 100g
Salt 0.7g per 100g
Great quickie meal to have in the freezer if you are home late or the kids are ravenous, goes with oven chips and peas or stick a couple in a bap with a bit of salad.
Summary: Great value for £1
More reviews in the field of Meat / Fish
- Who's got a little sausage then?
- Not for those on low sodium diets
- They're not Debbie & Andrew's they're mine!
- A quick, delicious meal with no additives!
- One for the kids ?????
- Fabulously Cheap, Tastes Good
- When Did Fish Fingers Become Grey Mush
- Fatty scaly pilchards
- Slap It On A Bun For Me.
- Peppered steak pasty!
- Marks & Spencer King Prawn Noodles With Japanese Style Soy Dressing
- Conserverie La Belle Iloise Tuna Rillette
- Conserverie La Belle Iloise Tuna Cream
- Conserverie La Belle Iloise Sardines Cream
- Conserverie La Belle Iloise Mackerel Rillettes
- Christine Le Tennier Creativ' Food Tuna Rillettes Flavoured
- Wall's 8 Thick Pork Sausages
- Quorn Bangers
- Tesco Light Choices Sweet Chilli Chicken & Noodles
- Birds Eye Omega 3 Fish Fingers