Newest Review: ... smell anything). Looking at the Olbas Website, they suggest other ways it can be used as - Add Olbas Oil to hot water, it will release th... more
The Decongestant - Muscle Ache Oil I can't live without
Member Name: jenki2
Advantages: cheap, lasts for a long time, pleasent smell
Disadvantages: Can irritate sensitive skin
** What is it? **
Olbas oil is a blend of essential pure plant oils that when inhaled gives almost immediate relief from blocked noses, catarrh, colds and sinuses. It can also be used externally as a massage oil to relieve minor aches and pains (Don't use on broken skin though)
** How do you use it? **
There are many uses for Olbas oil
- Most common is to place a few drops on a tissue and inhale deeply. You instantly feel the warm vapour throughout your nasal passages, for me it is a wonderful sensation, similar to breathing in deeply on a clean crisp morning.
- You can add a few drops to a bowl of boiling water and place your head over it with a towel over the top. This gives a less intense smell but with the addition of the steam works very well to clear blocked noses. One word of warning though, make sure you close your eyes as the vapour can sting your eyes.
- Personally I like to place some on the neck of my T-shirt when I go to the gym/for a run as it helps to keep my nose and throat clear. I tend to suffer from a blocked nose quite often and it helps my breathing stay clear and steady when working out.
- You can also place it neatly onto a pillow (or on a tissue and place inside a pillowcase) I find the smell very relaxing so it helps me drift of to sleep with a clear nose.
- You can use it directly onto skin, or slightly diluted if you have sensitive skin, it does tend to tingle a bit. (My husband hates the stuff anywhere near him, so please test before using it neat) Just massage gently into the sore area and it gives a warm tingling sensation which helps relieve minor aches and pains.
- As a big fan of Olbas oil I love to place some diluted in water in an oil burner and just let it infuse throughout the house. It gives such a wonderful warm smell that is incredibly comforting.
** The bottle and buying it**
The normal size bottle of Olbas Oil is 28ml which retails for around £3.50. There are also 10ml bottles which retail for around £2. From experience Olbas Oil is available from most supermarkets (Normally in the medicine section) Superdrug, Boots and also Wilkinson's.
A 28ml bottle lasts a very long time as you only ever need a few drops. I have had the bottle I am using now for over a year and it still has a third of the contents left. (I am a heavy user of it too)
The bottle is made of glass. Based on the 28ml bottle I have at the moment it is around 8cm tall and about 3.5cm wide. The tip of the bottle has a dropper style applicator which means you can't accidentally pour the whole thing out in one go. The lid does not have a safety opening (similar to medicine bottles etc) so keep it out of reach of children.
** The Ingredients **
Olbas oil contains essential plant oils. As taken from the manufacturers website these are::
Cajuput Oil BPC 18.50%, Clove Oil EP 0.10%, Eucalyptus Oil EP 35.45%, Juniperberry Oil BPC 2.70%, Levomenthol EP 4.10%, Dementholised Mint Oil BP 35.45%, Wintergreen Oil BPC (1949) 3.70%.
** Personal Opinion **
In case you hadn't guessed already I am a huge fan of Olbas oil. We always have at least one bottle in my household at all times. I find that it always successfully clears my blocked nose without being overpowering as some of the other menthol vapour's can be. It does still tingle if you have it in close contact with skin. My husband can't stand the stuff because he has sensitive skin so as I said earlier make sure you test your own sensitivity before rubbing it into your skin. But it always does exactly what it says on the bottle! "Immediate Relief for Catarrh, Colds and Sinuses"
Please make sure you always keep it away from eyes (it really does sting) don't ingest it or drop it directly into your nose. It will tingle on contact with skin, but should not cause any pain or major discomfort.
Summary: A blend of Essential Plant Oils which relieves congestion and relaxes aching muscles.
More reviews in the field of Medicine
- Canesten Bifonazole Once Daily Athletes Foot
- Calrub Comforting Vapour Rub 6 Months
- Calprofen Sugar Free Ibuprofen
- Calpol Sugar Free Infant Suspension Liquid
- Calpol Soothe & Care Saline Nasal Spray
- Neilmed NasaFlo Neti Pot
- Nature's Response Foot Spray
- NeilMed Clear Canal Ear Wax Removal Complete
- Nature's Response Foot & Leg Balm
- Natrasleep Tablets