Product Type: Parkinson's medicinal products
Newest Review: ... above doses may be taken up to 4 times daily. So, let's get the negative bit out of the way. The worst thing about Kilkof is its awful, ... more
Parkinson's Kilkof not as effective as it used to be
Author Name: John Rokos
Advantages: Sort of works
Disadvantages: Doesn't work as well as the previous formula
Parkinson's Kilkof used to have four active ingredients: Cetyl pyridinium chloride, ipecacuanha, benzoin, and capsicum. Two or three years ago a report on the use of ipecacuanha as an emetic (for which you need much larger doses than you do for using it as expectorant) was published that demonstrated that using it in a poisons unit was counterproductive, because less than 20% of swallowed poison got vomited out and if you gave a known antidote to the patient after the patient had been given the emetic treatment, the vomiting prevented the antidote getting at the poison. This report was irrelevant to the use of ipecac as an expectorant, etc., but, nevertheless, some cough mixture manufacturers eliminated it from their products, including Bell (Parkinson's). The present Kilkof has extra benzoin in place of the ipecac, and, frankly, it's not as good - Ignore the "Improved" on the label! If that had really been an improvement, they'd have implemented it on the basis of performance long ago! One manufacturer still has a product containing ipecac, I think, the "For Mucus Coughs" of either Covonia or Benylin.
Summary: The "improved" formula of Kilkof is a change for the worse.Their boffins had misread the evidence.
More reviews in the field of Medicine
- Relieve the symptoms of hay fever and allergies
- Wind-eze Tablets
- Medicine that works!
- A relief when you have the lurgy.
- Bena-DRILL your allergies away! (at least some of your symptoms anyway)
- They offer a bit of light relief
- Avoid that cold this winter
- Good purchase to keep in stock
- I'm no mug, so I just buy these cheap from Superdrug.
- And exhale!
- Potters Sugar Free Cough Pastilles
- Preservision Original Softgels
- Profoot Corn & Callus Trimmer
- Profoot Corn Cushions
- Proctors Pinelyptus Pastilles
- Steroplast Zinc Oxide Tape
- Steroplast Wound Closures
- Steroplast Washproof Plasters
- Steroplast Washproof Adhesive Strapping
- Steroplast Vehicle Mini First Aid Kit