-michelle-

• Comments

Member since: 18.01.2011

17.07.2012 09:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary: Sturdy and built to last

First and foremost I am amazed that this actual toy is still in my house and still in one piece. I remember buying this Mega-sketcher for my son when he was around 3 or 4 years old, he is now 14 and to this day it still has a place in his wardrobe. I remember he was crazy on Thomas the Tank Engine and he had many associated toys and games. Okay to be fair I doubt he has played with it for a long time but the fact it still remains in one piece to me is quite amazing. The Thomas the Tank Engine Mega-sketcher is along the same lines as the Magna Doodle, there are also many other different themed toys of this kind. It's basically a sketching area surrounded by different magnetic shapes which are used to draw with on the sketching area, at the side there is a very annoying slider which is pulled down in order to erase the picture and start afresh, now I say it's annoying because the noise it makes as it erases the picture goes right through me. Amongst the magnetic shapes is a little roller piece which is used for drawing the train track real quick and there is the special magnetic pencil which is attached with coloured string to the sketcher itself so it doesn't get lost, very clever idea. All the magnetic shapes have their own places where they slot in nice and neatly. The overall shape of the sketcher is of course that of Thomas the Tank Engine and the toy itself is quite a fair size, giving lots of room for drawing and printing with the magnetic shapes. When my son first got his sketcher he was over the moon with it and spent lots and lots of time playing with it, much to my annoyance of the eraser. There have been many occasions in the past where we have played games together with the sketcher, taking it in turns to guess what the other was drawing before we had finished it. I used to like to sit and squiggle away on it but if I went wrong I'd just find something else to do, I wasn't going to suffer erasing it, I'd rather just move on. Over time it has been dropped more times than I care to remember both inside and out but the toy remains, even to this day in great condition. It is really well put together and I'm very impressed in just how long it has lasted and it still works today. I really cannot remember how much I paid for the Tomy Thomas the Tank Engine Mega-sketcher but I do remember I got it from Argos. Amazon was selling it but it's currently unavailable, however Toys R Us has a variant of this sketcher for sale at the moment which costs around £20.00. It sounds like a lot of money but it's worth it because I can assure you it will last. All good things..... It's like the end of an era for me as I sort through all my son's old toys, ready to pack the ones that are of any use, off to the local charity shop so some other child can enjoy them for a while, and because my son has always taken care of everything he has, I do have a fair few things to pack up. Children grow up so fast a sad but true fact of life. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

16.07.2012 09:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice little set to protect your iPod

I've had my iPod for a while now and it still remains in the same brilliant condition as it arrived in, the reason for this is the simple fact I purchased this fantastic accessory pack at the same time. I had heard and read so many things about how easily these new iPods were scratched and ruined. I had decided from the start I was not going to risk my iPod becoming damaged; they cost far too much money to just be negligent with them. No, my mind was made up to protect mine from the word go and that's exactly what I did. As my iPod arrived a day before this little accessory pack, it had to remain unopened in the box, no way was I going to risk it, the way my look goes I'd only have to look at it and I'd manage to damage it somehow. Anyway the little accessory kit finally arrived and I couldn't wait to get it all sorted on my new iPod, I was like a child on Christmas morning; I was all silly and excited. The luxury accessory pack consists of.... Clear "S" Curve Gel Case, I have no idea why it's called that! The gel cover I like very much because I didn't want to cover up the beautiful silver back and apple logo on the back of my iPod and by using this particular cover I can still partly see through it, it fit onto my iPod perfectly, I had no trouble getting it on and it looks lovely and feels really nice to hold too, all the necessary bits are cut away and moulded like the camera lens for example and there is a perfect circle cut out of the middle so the nice little apple logo shows through it, I'm really impressed with how my iPod looks in this cover, it is really neat and looks quite classy in my opinion. I haven't removed it since I first put it on and I've experienced no problems with it coming off or peeling off at the edges like I've read about with some other covers. A luxury micro fibre lined pouch... A luxury micro fibre lined pouch, which has a draw string fastening and a little pocket on the front of it. The pouch is made from incredibly soft, velvet like material, mine is like a very deep plum colour, my iPod fits really well inside the pouch and I always feel happy that my iPod is safe within it. In the little pocket I keep my ear phones and little cleaning cloth. The pouch looks and feels nice, it looks far more expensive than it actually was, I wasn't expecting much with the price I paid but I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this little pouch. The tiniest cleaning cloth... The little cleaning cloth is like something out of a dolls house; it really is tiny but big enough for me to rub over my screen when it starts to look grubby. Mine happens to be white, it also really soft, it's not really up too much, but it does the job if I can't get to a decent cloth with which to clean my screen. The earphones... I really wasn't expecting anything at all quality wise from these earphones, they are by no means anything to write home about, they are white in colour and the wire seems to manage to keep from twisting up which I guess is a plus, but on the downside, the sound through them seems to be very low, by low I mean deep, no matter how I adjust the iPod, and they always seem to have a very low deep tone. But after saying that, they are more comfortable to wear than many other sets of earphones that I have used, as they have the soft jelly like ear pieces which sit in my ears, however unlike my newer earphones that I previously reviewed, this set came with only a standard size ear piece which is too big for my ears personally. So in all I don't use these earphones with my iPod but I do keep them as an emergency pair, just in case. Screen protector... The screen protector as I'm sure you are already aware, is the transparent cover that sits perfectly over the iPod screen, which in my opinion is a real must, I was dreading applying the screen protector because from experience with other devices, I usually have problems which cause the screen protector to bubble up, but to my amazement this screen protector went on first time with no hassle, it went on perfectly, I was really pleased I didn't mess it up. With only having the one screen protector, I had to get it right first time and so for me it was like a major operation as I set about applying it. I was thrilled I succeeded first time as I don't think I'd have dared use my iPod without it, I never like to do anything without protection.... So recommended yes or no.... The complete accessory pack cost me a mere £7.49 from Amazon with fee shipping. I think this little accessory pack is really worth the price I paid; in fact if I'm honest I think it's worth a lot more. I do recommend this accessory kit, because it looks good and apart from the earphones the rest of what I got is really good quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this exact pack again maybe as a gift for someone; I think it would make a nice little stocking filler for anyone who has an iPod touch. Unfortunately this particular set is unavailable from Amazon at the moment but I have seen the same set currently available in different colours. Thank you for reading my review which may also be posted on other sites.

15.07.2012 11:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Sonic the hedgehog, the main character in a long line of sonic figures and merchandise.

Character Options Sonic the Hedgehog Figure I couldn't let the opportunity of reviewing my son's toy figure collections pass without reviewing his all-time favourite. He is absolutely crazy about Sonic the hedgehog and has been for as long as I can remember. If I were to review all his Sonic the hedgehog merchandise, I would never stop writing. It's ironic really when I think back to when he was born, because of his mounds of dark spikey hair we always called him Sonic, we must have known our son was going to grow up with a love for this fictional character and we by no means pushed the idea onto him. He has so many different sized Sonic the hedgehog figures; I've decided to review the 5 inch version. All about Sonic 5 inch This figure stands around 5 inches tall, he has a moveable head, arms and legs. His head looks somewhat oversized in my opinion, but I guess it's supposed to look like that. What I find strange about this figure is the fact the head seems to be made of a more durable plastic than the body and limbs. They are noticeably different to me as the body and limbs have a sort of shine to them whereas the head is duller and very obviously made of something different. Anyway, that aside, his main colouring is blue and cream, on his hands he wears white gloves and on his feet he wears red and white sneakers although personally I'd call them trainers. How tough is he? The Sonic the hedgehog figure can be positioned into various different poses and it does stand-alone without falling over, this is probably because his feet are so big. The legs and arms on this figure are extremely thin but after saying that it has stood the test of time as I believe this actual figure to be my sons first one, he has had it for a very long time, it remains intact but shows signs of age by the scratches and scuff marks, but even so this figure has done very well indeed as it still remains in one piece. It is a pretty tough little figure but I think I'd be a little cautious as to what age group I'd let play with it, as I think some rough handling could end up with Sonic getting broken arms and legs. Where to find him I really cannot remember how much I paid for this particular figure as it was so long ago but you can buy him in a number of different sizes, I think my son must have every one available. Prices vary according to size, the 5 inch figure costs around £13.00 on Amazon at the moment. Summing up For a "Sonic the Hedgehog" mad child this figure is perfect, for a sonic collection it is a must, no matter what size you choose. I would avoid very small children coming into contact with it though, but over all I can recommend him as he has stood the test of time without ever losing a limb. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

14.07.2012 09:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great little figure for a sonic the hedgehog collection, more for show than to play with.

Jazwares Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic & the Black Knight Sonic the hedgehog has had many adventures in various different video games, which in turn has seen many different sonic characters produced, which always ends up becoming collectable merchandise, for example this particular figure, Sonic & The Black Knight. I remember buying my son the video game which ultimately ended up in me buying the figure to go with it. All about Sonic and the Black Knight Figure... This Sonic character is not really that different from any of the others apart from the fact he wears a silver gauntlet on his right hand and holds a silver sword. This figure is around 5 inches tall, slightly thinner than many of the other figures you can buy. He is of course coloured in the same way as normal, blue and cream with the red and white sneakers/trainers. On his left hand he wears the usual white glove. His head moves from side to side and he has hinged hips, knees, elbows and shoulders. He's made of plastic as are all the sonic the hedgehog figures but this one seems somewhat more delicate than the others. He has a little weight to him, but I think that's just his head as the heads on these figures always seem way too big for their bodies if you ask me. The sword he holds fits nicely into his hand, it is easily placed and removed again with no pushing or tugging, it is made of flimsy plastic but the figure does keep hold of it, it doesn't keep dropping out of his hand. The figure can also be positioned to stand alone, which surprises me with the body being so flimsy and all. But to be fair the figure does seem very well made and has lasted a fair while without getting broken. Not really for a young child... Due to flimsy parts and the removable sword I don't think this figure would be suitable for very small children to play with, I don't think it would take much to brake it if I'm honest, but my son being the overly careful boy that he is, has always looked after all his figures and treated them with care and respect. But that isn't something anyone could expect from a younger child. If you have a younger child that is eager for a sonic the hedgehog figure, there are many others that would be much more suitable, but that's just what I personally think. Where to get him... You can buy this Jazwares Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic & the Black Knight figure from Amazon right now for around £15.00 but I'm sure there are many other places online or otherwise where you could pick him up from. Finally... I bought this figure for my son's collection of sonic the hedgehog figures, he doesn't really play with the figure as such, but he does use all his figures for his You-tube videos. I guess I've dug myself into something of a hole really as I sometimes dread a new video game/figure coming out because I know no matter what I say to my son he'll end up getting it. I've been buying them for so long now that to me buying a new sonic figure for my son is just like paying the gas bill, something I just have to do whether I want to or not. But it's my own fault at the end of the day and I don't really mind because I know it's not like buying him a new toy, it's more like buying a new prop to aid him in doing something constructive within his video making. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

13.07.2012 11:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

The Main Man...

Super Mario figure This is the Super Mario figure himself. Mario is what the whole collection is about. As my son only has 5 Super Mario figures in his collection at the moment, this is the one I decided to save till last to review. Mario stands around 5 inches tall, wearing his famous blue dungarees with big gold buttons over his little red top. He wears bright white gloves and big brown boots. On his head sits his red cap displaying a big M on the front. He, like all the others is soft to the touch although he is tough and very sturdy with moveable arms. He is quite a colourful chap, the colours on him are crisp and markings of his face are very accurate, there is no mistaking who this little fella is at all. The Main Man As Mario is the "main man" my son absolutely had to have him for his collection in order to make it complete. There are other figures that he has yet to collect, but to him not as important as Mario himself. I guess my son would have had the complete collection by now had it not been for him going from one toy collection to another. He has many different figure collections and for a while his Super Mario collection took a back seat while he concentrated on the others. Probably the reason the figures have all remained in such good condition, but to be fair they have been knocking around his bedroom for a good few years and all look as good as new, they are extremely durable and very long lasting little figures. I won't hesitate to buy more of these figures as I 100% think they are worth it, especially as the videos he makes are always so good and fun to watch. I love how by spending time making these videos he is doing something constructive rather than sitting like a cabbage in front of the telly playing on the Xbox all day. Where to get him You will find this Super Mario figure in most high street toy shops, failing that you will most certainly find him online. He costs around £9.00 to £10.00 but I bet you could find him cheaper if you looked around a bit. He is worth the money, if you have any doubts about buying him, there really is no need as he is spot on and if your child is into Mario then I assure you they will be delighted with this particular little figure, you cannot go wrong as this figure is all good. Unfortunately... There is no option here for me to post a photograph of the complete Mario collection to show you what remarkable condition these figures are still in, but take my word for it, they all still look like new and considering my son has had these figures for quite some time now, I have to say the durability of all the Super Mario figures is excellent. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

12.07.2012 10:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great addition to any super mario bros. collection

Super Mario Donkey Kong The names of these Super Mario Bros figures leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, take this one "Donkey Kong" now I must be missing something here but why would an ape be called Donkey? I understand the Kong bit for obvious reasons, King Kong but I guess I must just be out of touch with what works and what doesn't as far as names go. What he is like Donkey Kong is made from extremely tough plastic; he is a very hard and sturdy little 5 inch figure. Because he's chunky and quite solid this makes him a little heavier than other figures in the series. But this in no way alters the fact that the figure is smooth to the touch and feels nice in my hands. Although his head is stationary, both his legs and arms move backwards and forwards, I say arms and legs as I'm not altogether sure what them limbs are actually called on an ape. He's brown and beige in colour and he wears a red soft plastic tie displaying in yellow the initials DK on the bottom of it. Good addition to any Super Mario Bros collection I think he is a good addition to the Super Mario Bros collection, he definitely looks the part, he isn't a particular favourite of mine but this in no way alters the fact that this figure is very well made and of excellent quality. He has to be the sturdiest of the Super Mario collection in my opinion, he really is solid. Children would like to play with him I'm sure, however I personally would be a little cautious of him being thrown, he would probably hurt anyone he came into direct contact with. How much and where from My son has had Donkey Kong for a while now and the condition of him is still like new, he is worth what you would pay for him, which would probably be around £8.00 or £9.00 you're sure to find him on Amazon or EBay and probably in the high street toy shops as well. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

11.07.2012 10:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

A very well made figure

Sonic The Hedgehog Unleashed Sonic The Werehog When Sonic Unleashed the video game was released, along came a new addition to the Sonic the hedgehog family of figures. This one is extremely hard, quite heavy and hurts like hell when it hits you! About the Werehog... I have never been over keen on this particular figure, but my son being the Sonic the hedgehog freak that he is, had to have it for his collection. The figure just looks painful; it is made of very tough plastic and has quite a bit of weight to it. It stands around 5 to 6 inches tall and it's quite chunky around the arms, head and spikes. His legs are quite thin and although he wears big shoes on his feet this doesn't really counter balance his top half, making it very difficult to stand him up so he stands alone, which I might add he doesn't really do, we have to prop him up against something to make him stand up, the proportions of him are all wrong in my opinion, he seems more of a weapon than a toy to me. He does have a lot of moveable parts for posing him in different positions though. His legs are hinged at the knee, the top of the leg, his elbows and shoulders and four of the big spikes on his head can also be moved. His head also moves from side to side. He does look evil though, his arms are huge as are his hands and the spikes on his head are really big too. He is blue and grey in colour with red and white sneakers or trainers whatever you want to call them upon his feet. Even the bottom of the trainers have little grey spikes, this toy is lethal I can tell you. Think carefully about where you store him... He just had to have it for his collection, well I wish the toy had come with a health and safety warning and I would advise anyone thinking of buying this particular figure to consider just exactly where it is going to be kept. From experience I can tell you not to store this figure on a shelf above head height, because when it falls off and hits you, I tell you you'll really know about it. I don't think I'd let small children play with this figure, in my opinion it is far too dangerous. Over all... But, to be fair the figure itself is very well made, extremely sturdy and I can't imagine it breaking any time soon, and I can also add that the figure is very durable as well, it seems to be lasting forever. The detail on this werehog figure is pretty good; I especially like the fur detail around the tops of the hands. Should you decide to buy him...? So if you are interested in purchasing this Sonic Unleashed Werehog Figure, you will find him on Amazon amongst other online stores and he will cost you around £12 to £13 Please Take Care... But do take care if you decide to purchase this figure for your children to play with because although kids love to play, they do also fall out and the thought of this figure hitting a child doesn't bare thinking about. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

10.07.2012 15:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

A cute little fellow from the super mario collection of 5 inch figures

Super Mario Figure Toad When my son first told me what this figure was called I couldn't get my head round it, a toad is an ugly lumpy bumpy green slimy looking creature so how could this cute little figure have the same name. Even now I am still baffled. What is Toad? Toad is another character in the Super Mario Series. He, like Yoshi (previously reviewed) is very cute. He stands around 5 inches tall and wears the most wonderful red and white spotted hat, my son tells me he is supposed to be a mushroom, but that still doesn't explain why he's called Toad. Like all the other Super Mario figures, he feels very smooth and nice to hold in your hands, he's made from tough stuff and he's very durable. He has the cutest little face and little round body; he wears a pair of white trousers and a little blue waistcoat. Finishing him off are his little brown boots. His colours are very bright and vivid; he would definitely attract the attention of a small child, especially with his little happy face. Where to get him from Toad fits perfectly with all the other Super Mario characters; I'm impressed with all of them if I'm honest. They are more than worth the money I paid for them which incidentally I don't remember exactly but I do know you can get yourself a Toad figure from Amazon for around £8.00 or so. A personal favourite Toad is amongst my favourites regarding the Super Mario characters, even playing Super Mario on the Wii I will choose him as my character, even though it is usually short lived because I am totally useless at any platform games, especially Super Mario Bros. My son, ever the expert at these sorts of games, will whizz through the levels with no problem. He has been a big fan of Super Mario for quite a while and has mastered the game. Summing him up Okay then to sum up, we have a real cute little Super Mario figure that any child I'm sure would love to have and play with, there are no sharp edges on him at all, he is totally smooth as I previously mentioned, he is very well made from tough plastic and would last any child quite a long time I should imagine. Alternatively he would and does look great sitting amongst other Super Mario Bros figures. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

05.07.2012 10:14

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A great little app that anyone can play

Draw something I'll apologise before I start because if you have read any of my iPhone App reviews you'll know I can sometimes get a little carried away. I am after all somewhat addicted to these game Apps. This particular App I decided to download because it was free, however after playing for a short time I decided I had to upgrade to the paid for version, this meant no ads and more words so for 69p I freed myself from those annoying ads. The game itself is pretty basic and straight to the point, so much so that any age group would be comfortable playing it. The basic idea is to choose a word from a list of three, draw the word then send it off to your opponent for them to guess it correctly, win some coins and send you a drawing back and that's it. All about Draw Something... When you begin the game you are invited to make an account which includes your username and email address. You can also connect to Facebook through this game but I don't know much about that because I don't use Facebook myself. I connected with my email address and that works well enough for me. I then was given the option to find players, I could look for players in several different ways which are, Email, Facebook friends or random. If I knew of anyone else with the game and knew their username I could also connect with them that way. Playing the game... Once connected with another player I was able to choose a word from the list of three, the easiest word on the list is worth one coin, the next is a little harder worth two coins and the last is usually quite a difficult word but gives you three coins. If I decide that all three words are too difficult for me to draw, I have the option of using a bomb to get three new words. Bombs can be bought for coins. So after I have chosen which word to draw, I just touch the correct area of the screen and get on with it. In the beginning I had four basic colours to use, but this is what the coins are all about because you can buy different colour sets, which for me personally makes the game more fun to play with lots more colours to choose from. Once I finish my picture and I'm happy with it I can send it off to my opponent, I can also send a message with the picture if I choose, as the option is there should I decide to use it. Once I receive a drawing back from my opponent, I have to guess what the picture is; I'm given several letters to choose from in order to make the word that represents the drawing. Sometimes the pictures I get sent are impossible to guess even with the letters there in front of me to help, because of this there is the bomb option again, a bomb gets rid of some of the letters in the list making it slightly easier to guess what the picture is. More bombs can be bought for coins should I run out. The game then continues backwards and forwards, each time my turn is recorded and it's fun to see how far I can get before someone passes and I have to start from turn one again, I believe since updates the highest turn to reach is 999. I've managed to get to turn hundred and something before my opponent passed on one of my pictures and we found ourselves at level one again. You don't need to be Picasso to play... Under no circumstances do you have to be able to draw really well to play this game, it's just a bit of fun to play with your friends. I've had words sometimes just written on the screen when I tap to guess. I guess that's because some people do struggle to draw some of the words, so they just write the word across the screen. It does sort of take the fun out of the game and what I'd call cheating but hey, it's just a game and it's supposed to be fun for everyone. If I get a really good picture through from someone I'll save it and maybe post it on Twitter, there are options to send the pictures to Twitter and Facebook or you can just save them. If you draw a good picture yourself you can save that also. If you play, please add me to your list... I have been playing Draw something for a few months now but I usually have to choose random for my opponents, this is okay but I always seem to be waiting for them to send me another picture and me being me, I just want to play and play. The only people I know will send me pictures are my son and my daughter but even they have become slack in sending pictures back to me. As I'm not on Facebook I can't add friends from there so if any of you reading this have this iPhone App or are thinking of getting it please add me to your list of players, because I won't keep you waiting for a picture I promise. My username (Myredpip) To conclude... So, this little App is a real hit and very popular with a lot of people and I'm not surprised really. It's quite an addictive little game and very enjoyable to play. Maybe I am a bit over the top with my games but I just love it when I notice I have pictures ready and waiting for me to guess. I like the fact that when a new picture is sent to me, I'm given the option to watch my own picture which I sent, being drawn again and I can see exactly which point of me drawing it that they guessed the word. I don't have to sit through this though, I can just skip it if I choose, but sometimes it's fun to watch. I think I've covered about everything, but there has been a recent update which has given the game a whole new look so there may be a few new things I've missed, but either way the game in my opinion is well worth 69p. Made and produced by OMGPOP available from the App store on iTunes, also available on Android. Download the free version and see what you think. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

02.07.2012 10:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good book written in an interesting way

Id - Kindle Edition ID by Paul Craig is not the sort of book I would usually go for. Had it not been for the author following me on Twitter I probably would never have known about it. The day I downloaded it, it happened to be free but now it will cost 77p to download from Amazon. Once I had finished reading it I was straight on Twitter asking the author for more, I needed the story to continue because there was so much more I wanted to know. I did have some reservations about reading this book and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from it, however I feel the author has been very clever in the way he has chosen to write this book because the story is written backwards and at first I couldn't figure out what was what but I found as I got to each new chapter everything fell into place from the beginning of the previous chapter and so on. It does sound confusing but once I was reading I knew exactly where I was with the story and I decided I really liked the way it which it was written, for some reason it made me want to read more to find out what happened that led up to the part I had already read. It made a change from wanting to know what would happen next in a story because instead it left me wanting to know what had happened before. ID is about a man who wants to remember who he is, he has lost his memory, but obviously doesn't know why or how, he knows nothing about himself or his life he can't even remember his own name. All he knows is the here and now and that he has just brutally murdered two people. This is what I was greeted with at the beginning of the book when really it was the end because by the time I got to the end I had found out everything I had wondered about whist I was reading the book. I read through the book backtracking through each chapter to find out who he really was and why he had committed such terrible crimes. Throughout the book he is referred to as "The man" that is until his identity is finally revealed. ID is fast paced which I liked, it kept me wanting to read more and if it wasn't for the fact that I do need to sleep sometime then I would have read this in one sitting. The book is very graphic in places, there is mention of a lot of blood and gore and some of the things described made me cringe a time or two. But having said that I enjoy the blood and gore in films such as "Saw" with Horror being my favourite genre of films but books I've only read a few in the horror genre. I may well be looking for more as I did enjoy reading ID as it was really well written, so I'll probably look out for more titles by Paul Craig. I was surprised by how this book really seemed to get a hold of me and demand I kept reading, but then that tells me that I was reading a good book which is worth telling other people about. The book isn't overly long but it's by no means really short either, there is so much that happens and it was great to finally find out who "The man" was and where he and everything else started, right at the end. If you can put up with reading a book with plenty of graphic violence then I'd recommend you give this book a go you won't be disappointed. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

30.06.2012 14:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good for saving space and looks okay too

Guitar Rack: 5 Guitar Stand Due to my son's bedroom looking more like a guitar warehouse, I decided to buy this Guitar rack that holds up to five guitars, acoustic or electric or a mixture of both. My son currently has two acoustic and two electric guitars all of which fit nicely on this rack with enough room for another guitar, so they are correct in saying the stand is for five guitars. I mentioned this because you can never be too sure on the actual size of something until you have it built up in front of you, to be tested by yourself. However I personally think that five acoustics would struggle to fit on this rack, but a mixture of both works just fine. The guitar rack arrived in lots of bits that had to be assembled; these bits were lightweight steel tubes, sprayed black. instructions were included and all the bits I'd need to put it together, well I say all the bits when really it was missing a couple of the screws that were needed but I managed to compromise on the screws because some were not really needed in other places on the rack, which was lucky because some of the holes for the screws didn't quite match up anyway. I could angle the rack to suit the guitars that it would be holding, both the base and the back could be tilted and the back raised if necessary to accommodate all the guitars. The base is foam padded protecting the bottom of the guitars as are the individual parts at the top of the rack which protects the top of the neck and headstocks of the guitars. It does actually do a good job of protecting the guitars from being banged or knocked on the rack. It has four rubber stoppers on the feet of the rack so would be suitable for any floor type. My son has carpet tiles in his bedroom and the stand sits perfectly well on his floor. The measurements of the guitar rack are: Width: 41cm Minimum Height: 73cm Maximum Height: 87cm Distance between neck rests: 6.4cm 6mm thick foam Overall Depth: 40.5cm Length of two rear feet: 7.5cm which is a nice neat little size that fits snugly in the place where we have stood it, holding the guitars in place. This rack has made a real difference to the amount of space my son now has in his bedroom. The rack is also very light, minus guitars of course but even with the guitars on it I can still easily move it for hovering etc. It looks very neat and shows his guitars off a treat. I would recommend this guitar rack, more so if you are on a budget because although it looks okay and does the job, it is obvious to me that it has been cheaply made and I also think it could be a little sturdier than it is, it probably would have been sturdy enough had all the holes for the screws matched up. But as we don't have any intention of moving it around all the time I'm quite happy with it, as is my son. I paid £18.99 for this guitar rack from Amazon but it is currently selling for £17.99. The guitar rack is available in 3 sizes, 3 guitars 5 guitars and 7 guitars, the prices vary according to which size you require. Thank you for reading my review may also appear on other sites.

26.06.2012 20:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

Get the size right and you've got it made.

"Brabantia Cotton Ironing Board Cover with 2mm Foam back, Size B, 124 x 38cm, Metallized Silver" I'd never heard of this company before I started looking for ironing board covers, but apparently their ironing board covers are supposed to be the "Bees Knees" so I decided to order a metallized silver. Size B which is 124cm by 38cm with 2mm foam back, ironing board cover. When I read the product title of the ironing board cover I was ordering, I couldn't help but wonder why they couldn't just call it what it so obviously was, "a Silver ironing board cover", some companies make me laugh with the fancy words they use in a product title. Anyway I'll get back to my super snazzy 100% cotton, metallized ironing board cover. These particular ironing board covers come in various different sizes, ranging from A being the smallest to E which is the largest. Now when it comes to having to measure something before I can order something it's going to be connected to, you can guarantee I will get the measurements wrong, somehow I always manage it. On this occasion however I didn't have much of a choice other than to order the one I did which was size B because the A size would have been way too small and the C far too big. But when the ironing board cover arrived I really had no idea how I was supposed to fit it on my ironing board. Now I know I'm making myself look stupid here but the thing was huge, I had to double check I'd ordered the right size. It was apparently right so I proceeded to get it on my ironing board; I tried every which way but failed. I left it for my husband to fit when he got home from work. The cover is of very high quality and the silver side, the side on which the iron runs over is incredibly smooth to the touch and also heat resistant. It has the 2mm foam back which is good as this give a little extra thickness to the actual cover. A drawstring runs all around it so once fitted it can be pulled tightly into place and secured with the little attachment accessory that comes with the cover. Ideally this would be the perfect ironing board cover but although we are using it, we have had to cut it down and tape the stupid thing down to the ironing board with silver masking tape. It looks a sorry sight but it does make ironing very easy as the cover doesn't rumple up or crease when ironing. We actually fitted the cover over the top of our old cover to give even more thickness and it works really well. I guess I could have just sent it back, but to be honest I really couldn't be bothered, so made the best of what I had. So although I had some sort of personal art design project going on with my ironing board cover, I would still recommend this cover because with the right fit it would in my opinion be perfect. Just in case you were thinking this cover was for you I've noted down some sizes, I'd hate to think of anyone having to do what we did. The bigger the size, the more you will pay. Size A = 110 x 30cm available in Silver and Ecru Size B = 124 x 38cm available as above Size C = 124 x 45cm available as above Size D = 135 x 45cm available as above Size E = 135 x 49cm available as above You can also buy extra underlay especially made to fit their ironing boards and covers; you may like to visit their store on the Amazon website they sell lots of different things as well. My ironing board cover cost me £8.53 with free delivery from Amazon and that was back at the beginning of March, I have to say that now, some 4 months later, the cover still looks as it did when we first fitted it, (bloody ridiculous with tape all over it) no seriously what I mean is it doesn't have a mark on it and it continues to make easy work of the ironing, I know this because my husband tells me so, since he does the majority of the ironing, but I do chip in from time to time and I have found the cover to be really easy to glide the iron across. But I did have to laugh when I read.....and I quote: "All Brabantia covers come with a colour coded label. This enables you to choose the right replacement cover quickly and accurately". They obviously don't know me at all, thanks for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

19.06.2012 19:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

A phone you just won't be able to put down

IPhone 3GS 32G When I got my iPod I was over the moon with it and still am. I never in a million years thought I'd ever get an iPhone, for a start the price of them is ridiculous to say the least, yes they may well be the best thing since sliced bread but really, the price of iPhones amazes me and what amazes me even more is that people actually fork out all that money just to get their hands on one. Now the only reason I have one is because my old phone (not a smartphone) lost the will to live, I guess I didn't help it any by throwing it across the room because it never responded to me. So, I needed a new phone. There was no way I could afford a top of the range iPhone, in fact there was no way I could really afford an iPhone full stop. However I didn't want just a normal phone again, I ended up hating my previous one. So I did what I always do when I can't afford what I really want brand new and went to visit EBay. Where I got mine and what I got with it I bought my unlocked iPhone 3GS 32g used from EBay and it cost me £150.00 I was a little apprehensive about paying out a fair bit of money for something that could have ended up being a piece of junk. All I got with the phone was a black leather case, which I choose not to use. The things I would have got if I'd have bought new would have been a charger, a USB cable, earphones, possibly a few pretty stickers and a box. I didn't need a charger, I have loads of USB cables, the earphones are useless anyway and why would I want stickers and the box? So I was okay with my purchase, there are a few signs of wear and tear on the back of the phone which incidentally is white which I'm not over keen about but I have rectified this by buying a nice new cover for it. Getting to know my iPhone So now I have my reasons for purchasing out the way I'll tell you just what this phone is like and what it can do. Well let's just say it's an iPhone it can do everything, well near enough. I love the look of the iPhone the best thing being that there are no ugly buttons stuck all over it, the only button is the home button and this is positioned so neatly, I hardly notice it's there at all. Another good thing for me is the fact that the earphone socket is on the top of the phone, away from the charging port. This bothered me about my iPod because the earphone socket was next to the charging port; they were crammed to close together in my opinion. Anyway along the top of my iPhone is the sim draw and if I hadn't read up on iPhones beforehand, I would never have worked out where to put my sim card, and the fact I would need something with a sharp point to get the drawer open, luckily I have safety pins, one of these worked spot on. So once I had my sim card all set up I was ready to explore my iPhone. As I am familiar with the layout of an iPhone due to using my iPod it didn't take me long to sort it all out. For those not familiar with the way an iPhone works, I wouldn't worry because as soon as you get one you just know what to do, everything is so easy with an iPhone, because everything you touch leads to the next thing you need to do to set it up and so on. As with all Apple products ITunes is needed to be installed on your computer as this is the way in which you work your iPhone with your computer. Things I would want to know I actually managed to import all my contacts from my sim onto my iPhone, this I did through the settings. Everything I need to know is there somewhere. If I were to get stuck with something the Apple support communities are fantastic for helping me out, I had one or two problems occur with my iPod and they were straight onto it and helped me sort it out. No one ever needs to feel alone with a problem with an Apple product, there are so many people out there who will help you out. Okay, so now we come to the main reason I wanted the phone, to play games.....no only joking the main reason was so I could make calls and text people. First off, making a call is really simple I have a choice to just dial the number I require or I can open up my contacts and do it that way. The quality of sound when I am listening to someone on the other end is really clear, I don't hear any crackling or interference but I guess this has a lot to do with what sort of reception I'm picking up. I'm with Orange and the reception and signal I get are usually pretty good. Answering a call is so easy I just slide to unlock which also answers the call. Texting is great fun; I really enjoy texting on my iPhone because of the whole speech bubble thing. This was all new to me and the way I can keep track of the conversation is such a good idea. I remember hating that about my old phone once I had been texting a while I would often forget what the conversation was about in the first place without having to individually check my sent items, that was such a drag. Now it's all so much better and easier. If I am texting my daughter who also has an iPhone the speech bubbles are blue which indicates we are both using imessage, this is an application which I already had on my phone and it automatically sends messages this way when imessage is available on the recipients phone. I did have to set this up in the settings before-hand though. But it means free messages and it can be used as much as I like. Then we have all the usual Apps, I won't go into all the Apps because there are so many, if you decide an iPhone is for you then I'm sure you will enjoy finding out all about these by yourself. Personally I have both the iPlayer and ITV Player Apps and these work really well, even though I am watching on a 3.5 inch screen it doesn't matter because the sound is good and the picture is amazing. Even YouTube videos play well on my iPhone. I have all my music now installed on my phone and the playback is really great, but that could be down to my earphones being really good. It is fair to say that most if not all Apps open up straight away and usually work really well, there may be the odd occasion when an App won't cooperate but I think this is the fault of the particular App and not the iPhone. Internet, Charging and Memory Browsing the internet is quite good, the pages seem to load up pretty fast and the pinch screen and zoom work really well, scrolling up and down different pages doesn't seem to lag either. I have no problem with using the internet on my iPhone because it's fast enough for me and it's easy. I can connect using 3G or wifi, I usually opt for wifi and I don't have any problem connecting and staying connected. I charge my iPhone overnight on a docking station so I can't really say how long it takes to fully charge from dead, but the battery life is really useless in iPhones anyway and it's best to charge often if you use your phone a lot. I've found that games are the biggest battery life killers. I had wanted to make sure I got an iPhone with plenty of memory because I remember how quickly my iPod started to fill up and because I can't buy extra memory for my iPhone I needed to make sure it was big enough for my needs. So I was happy when the one I'd chosen was a 32g the same as my iPod which is a great size for my needs. I was also glad that the 3GS took a normal sized sim, whereas the 4 and 4S both take a micro sim and I couldn't be bothered with all that at the time. The 3GS does feel quite heavy when I compare it to my old phone but I guess there is so much more going on in an iPhone. If I'd have purchased new, I would have had a choice of black or white and personally I would have preferred a black one but it's covered up now anyway so I don't mind. If Money was no object I would have loved an iPhone 4, micro sim or not, but the amount they cost is just too much for me and I couldn't justify spending that much on a phone. I know I have moaned about the price of these iPhones but I also know if money were no object I would definitely buy myself a new iPhone 4. To buy a brand new iPhone 3GS it will cost you anything from £220 upwards but then this depends on the size of memory you require. Of course you can go on a contract and most of them give you the phone free but I didn't want to be tied into a contract, I'm happy with pay as you go. I was lucky in my opinion to get mine for the price I did but I guess that was just the chance I took, but I was willing to risk it because I wanted one so bad. I would recommend this middle of the road iPhone, it has plenty going for it, it's fast enough to respond when I need it to, and it looks nice but most of all it's a joy to use. I apologise to those of you who may have hoped to read lots of technical jargon and specifications, but I don't really know that much about that side of things, so I've written about what I do know in order to hopefully help someone on a purchase decision. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

18.06.2012 15:13

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A must have App for those addicted to Amazon.co.uk

Amazon iPhone App For me, Amazon and EBay come hand in hand so it goes without saying that if I downloaded the EBay App then I also downloaded this Amazon App as well. Having previously reviewed the EBay App, today I'll tell you about the Amazon App. I downloaded this App from the App store in iTunes, it was free so I didn't hesitate to get it downloaded and installed quickly, really simple process it's just a case of clicking the mouse a few times and I'm away. As there are different Amazon stores Amazon.com etc. The one I have downloaded is of course Amazon.co.uk. At first I was invited to enter my account details so I would be able to access all my own information within the App, on doing this I was able to move freely around the App. I'm first greeted with the name Amazon.co.uk when I open the App. The welcome page has a search bar across the top and also recommendations for me. I also have the option to sign out if I choose. Along the bottom are five static things I can press these include: Home: This is the first page I arrive on when I open the App. Search: This opens up the keyboard along with a search bar at the top so I can type in anything I am looking for on Amazon.co.uk Basket: This I think is self-explanatory, I just bung all my shopping here as I go along. Wish List: This is where I can put all the things I'd like and will maybe buy at some time or other. More: This takes me to a page that has a list of things I may want to use whilst using the Amazon App things like my orders and my account and how to contact Amazon etc. I find this App to be very handy; I must spend half my life on the Amazon website so being able to take Amazon around with me in my bag is very appealing to me. If Amazon disappeared over night I don't know what I'd do. With this App I can check up on orders browse the website....the list is endless for what I can do on this App, it's just like using the website only it's a lot smaller. So if you are a big fan of Amazon and regularly use the website, then I think you'd love this little App which is really easy to use, it has never crashed out on me, everything runs really smoothly on this App and I'm really pleased with it. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.

• Ebay (iPhone Application) / Apps / 77 Readings / 75 Ratings
                                  17.06.2012 13:08

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A great way to make sure you don't miss out on anything you may be bidding for.

EBay iPhone App Being a huge fan of both EBay and Amazon, I decided I would have to download both Apps. Today I'm going to tell you a little bit about the EBay App. I personally downloaded this App from the App store on iTunes, I'm not sure whether it is available on Android, but I would have thought it would be available for all. The App was free which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned. As with all Apps downloaded from the App store the installation is instantaneous, so no waiting around for long and because it's downloaded and installed in next to no time I was ready to open it up and enter my personal account details to enable me to get into my account, This is a really easy process and as soon as my details were entered I was on my way to finding my way around this handy little App. The first page I am greeted with is clearly marked with the three main things I want to see which are watching, buying and selling, these are set out at the top of the screen so at first glance I can see what's going on with them. Underneath these is a list of reminders, messages, saved and browse categories. Below this as I scroll down further is some further information which shows deals, recent items I've been browsing and finally at the bottom of the screen is my username, touching this takes me to my feedback scores. The App is really simple to navigate around and in my opinion works really well. Along the very bottom of the screen, which incidentally are always there no matter which page I'm looking at, are the main things I'm going to need whilst navigating around the App. The things listed here include: The main Homepage: This is where I started from. Search: This gives me a list of any saved search's I have. My EBay: This actually shows me what I'm watching, buying and selling. Sell: This I presume is to show all the details about what I'm selling, but as I've never sold on EBay I haven't used this particular part of the App. Settings: This allows me to set the App up exactly as I want, for instance I choose to be kept logged in all the time as soon as I open the App, so I have it set to this and there are lots of other preferences for me to choose from so I have the App working exactly as I like. That's really all there is to it. I've found this App to be really useful, especially if I'm bidding in an auction and the time is almost up, you can guarantee I will be in the middle of cooking dinner or something similar and so with this App enabled I can have it with me at all times so I don't miss out on anything. The App has always run smoothly for me, I've never had it crash on me and I love the fact I can check up on things I'm interested in at any time. I would recommend this EBay App to anyone who uses EBay as it's really easy to use and extremely handy at the same time and best of all it's free. Thank you for reading my review which may also appear on other sites.