2012Saver

Member since: 08.08.2012

User that trust you
      05.08.2013 13:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

An excellent liquid iron supplement

Recently I had been feeling quite tired and run down and felt that my diet may be lacking somewhat in iron. My doctor said I was slightly anaemic, and so I decided to buy an over the counter iron supplement. Spatone is a liquid iron supplement. It is available in 2 flavours, original and apple. After reading some reviews and hearing about the disgusting taste of the original flavour, I decided I would buy the apple variety.

Spatone comes in a white and orange cardboard box. The apple variety has a picture of an apple in some water on the front. Each box contains 28 sachets, so enough to last for around a month if you are taking it every day. The sachets are very handy as each contains one dose. They are perfect for popping in your hand bag and there is no measuring of dosages required.

The sachets tear open easily and you can then pour out the liquid. The liquid is clear with a brownish tinge. You can take Spatone diluted in water or juice, or just how it is if preferred. As I have the apple variety I have been diluting it in half a glass of water. When taking it this way, you can taste the apple flavour but it remains reasonably low in volume and is therefore easy to drink. There is a slight metallic taste but it is not that unpleasant.

Each sachet of Spatone contains your RDA (recommended daily allowance) of both iron and vitamin C. The vitamin C is important as it helps your body absorb iron. It is worth noting that Spatone should be taken at least 30 minutes before/after ingesting other food or drink as certain components of other food and drinks can hinder the absorption of iron in the body. I therefore take my Spatone first thing in the morning at least half an hour before breakfast.

I have now been taking Spatone for approximately 3 weeks and whilst I haven't had my blood levels checked, I definitely feel a lot better. I have more energy and feel generally in better health. I have had no undesirable side effects of taking this product. I have never taken iron tablets myself but am aware that they can cause constipation and general stomach upset, so for anyone who suffers from this, Spatone liquid iron may be a better option.

I purchased my Spatone on Amazon for around £6.50 for a packet of 28 sachets. The original variety was slightly cheaper on Amazon at around £5.50 for the same size box, but I felt the extra £1 was worth it for a nicer taste. Comparably Boots are charging £10.75 for the same size of the apple variety. It is therefore definitely worth shopping around.

Another benefit of Spatone is that it is lactose and gluten free. It is suitable for vegetarians. It can be safely used in pregnancy and in children above the age of 2. I am giving this product a 5 star rating and would recommend it to anyone who thinks their iron levels may be low.

12.06.2013 21:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not what I expected

I had heard a lot of people raving about Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and as I have quite dry skin at times I decided I wanted to try it. I asked for a sample of the product at my local Elizabeth Arden counter so that I could try it out before I decided if I wanted to fork out for it or not.

The little sample size of this product that I received came in a white tube with a red lid that screwed on and off and contained 7ml of the product. I was surprised to find that the cream itself was quite firm and difficult enough to squeeze out of the tube. I imagine with a bigger tube this would be easier, however perhaps not when you are getting to the end of the tube.

The cream itself is an light orangey/amber colour. I was surprised to find that the cream had quite a thick and waxy kind of consistency. I would refer to it as more of a serum or a balm than a cream as such. The smell of the cream is quite medicinal and in my opinion, not that pleasant. I would actually prefer it to just be unscented rather than to have the scent that it does.

Elizabeth Arden say this cream has a multitude of uses. They say it will help restore, calm and relieve dry, cracked or chapped skin. It is also meant to sooth redness and roughness and relieve minor skin irritations. It can be used on any skin including facial skin and lips. It can also be used to smooth down eyebrows and to moisturise and care for cuticles.

Before I got the sample of this product, I was under the impression that it was a face cream, but it turns out I was wrong. This is not the kind of cream you would use to moisturise your face after cleansing as it is simply too thick and greasy for this. I have applied this at night time to dry patches of skin on my face but I was put off by the heavy, greasy feeling. It is definitely not something I would apply to my face during the day as I am sure it would leave my skin looking oily.

I am prone to mild eczema on my hands and I have used this cream to try to treat this and to moisturise my hands in general. Again I was put off this by the greasiness of the cream. A little really does go a long way but it still left my hands feeling too oily and as if the cream wasn't being absorbed. I think I prefer normal hand cream to the 8 hour cream for this purpose.

One thing I found this cream was quite effective at was moisturising dry cracked lips. Whilst this left my lips feeling soft and smooth, I didn't find the taste or smell to be all that pleasant, and again will probably stick to my normal lip balms in future.

As you can tell, I was not that impressed with Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and would not buy it. I am glad I got a sample before buying as at the price of £25.00 for a 50ml tube (Boots) it is extremely pricey. Just one star for me for this product. Thanks for reading/rating.

02.06.2013 16:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good hand hygiene gel from Cuticura

I like to keep a hand hygiene gel in my handbag for when I am out and about. I use it periodically to clean my hands and in particular for example last weekend when I was at an outdoor concert and had to use portaloos! I also keep a little hand gel in the glove box of my car as my job involves driving about a lot and I often have to eat lunch on the go.

I find hand gels in general really convenient to use. They assure me that my hands are clean and germ free at times when I don't have access to soap and water. The hand gel that I have been using lately is this Cuticura Cucumber hand hygiene gel. It comes in a 100ml clear plastic bottle. The lid flips open easily and can even be opened with one hand. The lid stays firmly shut when the bottle is in my handbag and I have never had any problems with leakage.

Inside the bottle is a clear gel with a slightly green tint. The opening in the lid is small enough to allow you to easily control how much or how little of the gel you squeeze out. The gel itself is quite thick. I find that a small amount, about the size of a 5p piece is sufficient to clean my hands. To use I simply squeeze it into the palm of my hand and quickly rub it all over my hands and fingers.

I find this gel is really easily absorbed and quickly dries on my hands. The gel has a pleasant cucumber smell which masks the alcohol smell really well. As well as being able to smell the fragrance when applying the gel, I find that it lingers on your hands for a while afterwards as well leaving them smelling clean but without being overpowering.

I find this hand gel to be quite mild on my skin. My hands are easily irritated and I occasionally get eczema on them. Hand hygiene gels will therefore sometimes sting my hands when I apply them but this is not the case with this product. It is gentle on my skin.

I only use this hand gel on my hands when they are visibly clean. It isn't suitable for use on soiled hands, these will need washed with soap and water. Cuticura claim that this hand gel destroys 99.99% of germs. Obviously it is difficult for me to prove or disprove this claim, but I think it's safe to say that a product from such a trustworthy brand probably works. My hands definitely do feel clean after applying this gel and I am confident that they are germ free.

This product costs around £1.50 for a 100ml bottle which lasts me absolutely ages. I would definitely recommend it, particularly for those with sensitive skin like me. A full 5 star rating from me. Thanks for reading/rating, I hope you found this useful.

• Rimmel Scandaleyes Mascara / Make Up / 60 Readings / 58 Ratings
        23.05.2013 21:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

Wouldn't buy this again

I usually use Estee Lauder mascara, but on a quest to find a cheaper alternative I purchased some of this Rimmel Scandaleyes mascara from Boots for the price of £6.99. It is actually on offer in Boots at the minute for £4.99 (£2.00 off) for a 13ml tube.

I think I chose this mascara as the tube really stood out. It is quite chunky and is bright and bold. I have used other Rimmel products in the past and have found it to be a decent enough quality brand at a reasonable price. I am trying to save a few pennies in the make up department and find cheaper varieties of the normal high end products I buy.

In the same style as other mascaras, this product has a lid which screws on and off with the mascara wand being attached to the lid. When I unscrewed the lid for the first time I was surprised to see that the brush on the end of the wand was also quite "chunky" and large. It is a lot larger than the brushes on any other mascaras I have ever used.

The brush was also quite heavily coated in thick, black mascara. When I tried to apply this to my eyelashes I found my eyelashes clumped together straight away, and while the mascara did go onto the lashes, it did nothing to define or separate them. The size of the brush makes the mascara particularly difficult to apply to lower or corner lashes. Due to the thickness of this mascara, it was also difficult to apply more than one coat. The mascara is a nice dark, black colour, which is one positive point.

One of my 'must haves' with a mascara is that it does not smudge onto my face and leave me with panda eyes. Unfortunately this mascara did not pass the test and when I applied it in the morning, by mid afternoon I had smudges below my eyes.

Unfortunately, I really did not like this mascara and after using it a couple of times I threw it out. Buying this reminded me why I just stick with the tried and tested Estee Lauder. This is quite a negative review but it reflects my true opinion on this mascara, and I am sorry to say that I would not recommend it! Just a 1 star rating from me.

Thanks for reading/rating and I hope you have found this review helpful.

• Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner / Make Up / 34 Readings / 34 Ratings
        20.05.2013 20:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

The best pencil eyeliner I have tried

Even though I wear make up every day, I prefer a more natural look for the days when I am at work. On my days off work I therefore like to dress things up a little and apply a bit more make up, namely eyeliner and eyeshadow. I have a liquid eyeliner that I like to use for special occasions and nights out, but I prefer a pencil eyeliner for during the day.

This Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil comes in a massive range of colours. I opted for a plain shade of black ("Zero") as I didn't want anything too funky. The eyeliner pencil itself comes in a nice purple cardboard box. The pencil itself is quite long in length in comparison to other eyeliner pencils I have used in the past. There is a lid covering the tip of the pencil that you simply pull on/off. The lid fits snugly and doesn't come off by itself in my make up bag, which is again a problem I have had with other eyeliner pencils.

The eyeliner itself is a dream to apply. The tip of the eyeliner is quite soft and has a creamy consistency which means it easily glides across your eyelid. There is no snagging or pulling which I have experienced with other cheaper eyeliners. The eyeliner goes onto my eyelid evenly and I do not need to press too hard to apply. I find that this eyeliner can be applied as lightly or as heavily as you like depending on how much pressure you apply. This means you can make your look as bold as you like.

The eyeliner can be smudged during application to create a smokey look. I usually only apply this on my top eyelids but have tried it on the bottom eyelids also and found it easy to apply here also. This eyeliner is waterproof which makes it easy to apply to the inner bottom eyelids that can be wet at times.

I have found this eyeliner really hard wearing. It lasts on my eyes all day without leaving me looking like a panda. It doesn't smudge or run down your face, yet is easily removed in the evenings with my normal cleansing routine. The pencil is quite easy to sharp and I have currently sharpened mine down to almost the very end.

This eyeliner currently costs £14.00 and is available from all stockists of Urban Decay. £14 is more expensive than other eyeliners available out there but I am yet to find one that I like as much, therefore I do not mind paying this price for it. Thanks for reading/rating and I hope you enjoyed my review.

• Benefit Dr. Feelgood / Make Up / 53 Readings / 52 Ratings
        13.05.2013 21:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

A bit of a waste of money in my opinion

I received this Benefit Dr. Feelgood from a friend who didn't like it, and gave it to me to try. Benefit's tag line for this product is:
        "Mattify shine with our invisible, weightless balm. Leaves skin silky to the touch."

This product comes in a round, silver tin which fits snugly in the palm of your hand. The front of the tin has the words "Dr. Feelgood" and a picture of a man kissing a woman. In a style similar to most of the Benefit products, the tin design is quite unique and quirky. To open the tin you simply lift the lid on/off. The balm itself is a pale, creamy coloured wax. Inside the tin there is also a round, white sponge that can be used to apply the balm. The balm itself had a nice smell, a pleasant lemony scent which I quite liked.

There are some brief instructions as to how to apply the product on the back of the tin. Benefit say the product should be applied by "sweeping over make up, or simply applying to a bare face". Now to be honest, a shiny face is not something I usually suffer from but I thought since this Dr. Feelgood balm was a freebie as such, I would give it a go anyway.

As per the product instructions, the first time I applied the product I used the sponge to put it on over my make up. I was disappointed to find that this simply wiped my make up away, leaving me with a dirty sponge and a patchy face with make up that needed reapplied. I am not sure if any of the balm actually made it onto my face, and I am unsure as to how anyone could apply this product over the top of their make up without completely ruining it!

The next time I used the balm I applied it to a bare face, before applying make up. The balm itself was much easier to apply in this way as I was not concerned I was ruining my carefully applied make up. After applying the balm, my face felt smooth and soft and was matte in appearance. I have to admit that this surprised me, as the waxy feel of the balm gave me the impression that it would make my face greasy/shiny, but this was not the case.

When applying my make up after using this product, I did not notice my make up going on or looking any different. My make up just looked the same way it always does and I don't think this Dr. Feelgood product made my skin look any brighter or better. I was a little disappointed by this, as other than making my skin soft, I can't really see any advantages to this product.

This product costs £22.50 for a 10g tin. After using this product 3-4 times and noticing no benefits, it has stayed in the bottom of my make up bag since. I can therefore conclude that this product is not worth the rather large price tag. For the reasons outlined above, I wouldn't recommend Benefit Dr. Feelgood and am only giving it a 1 star rating. Thanks for your reads and rates.

12.05.2013 19:03

Advantages

Disadvantages

Makes eyeshadow last longer and improves colour intensity

I first tried this Urban Decay Primer Potion when an Urban Decay eyeshadow palette I bought contained a mini sample of the primer. I liked using it so much that I bought a full size version of the primer.

The Urban Decay Primer Potion is a product that you put on your eyelids underneath eyeshadow to help the eyeshadow last longer and prevent it from creasing. Urban Decay have recently updated the packaging of their Primer Potion, it now comes in a purple squeezable tube with a pointy shaped lid that screws on and off. It no longer has a wand with a brush on the end, but when you remove the lid there is a needle nose tip which allows you to control how much of the product you squeeze out.

The product itself, when squeezed out of the tube, is a fairly thick, light beige coloured lotion. It is easy to squeeze out of the tube and I simply apply a small amount to my finger tip then dab it over my eyelids. It is easy to blend.

My eyelids are prone to irritation and the skin on them can sometimes be red/pinkish in colour as a result. When I apply this potion it really neutralises this and leaves my eyelids a natural, matte shade. This makes my eyes look brighter and wider immediately and for this reason I have started to wear this primer potion on my eyelids even when I am not applying eyeshadow over the top. The primer potion feels light on my eyelids and does not leave them feeling greasy or looking shiny.

When I apply eyeshadow over this primer, the eyeshadow blends easily over my primed eyelids. The colour of the eyeshadow definitely looks more intense when it is applied over this primer, and I have found that I need to use less eyeshadow to achieve the desired colour intensity. I usually find that with more expensive, better quality eyeshadows, creasing is not a problem even when the eyeshadows are used without a primer. But when I used a cheaper eyeshadow that would usually crease, with this primer underneath the eyeshadow stays smooth with no creases in the colour. When I have this primer on I have found that eyeshadow definitely lasts longer and stays put all day, which it often doesn't when used on a bare eyelid.

I think this primer potion has moisturising properties, because I am prone to dry skin and irritation around my eyelids but since I have started using the primer I have noticed that this has cleared up a bit and my eyelids are really soft and smooth. The primer is easily removed at the end of the day using my normal cleansing routine.

As well as recently changing the packaging of this product, Urban Decay changed the size of the product increasing it from a 10ml tube to an 11ml tube. An 11ml tube costs £15. I have been using my primer most days for over a month and there is still at least half of the tube left, as so little is required per application. I think this is therefore a reasonable price for what is a very good product.

This product is available to buy at anywhere that stocks Urban Decay products - namely House of Fraser and Debenhams as well as online. I am giving this a 5 star rating along with my full recommendation, as I cannot fault this product and will probably never wear eyeshadow without it again! Thanks for reading/rating.

• Benefit Georgia / Make Up / 44 Readings / 44 Ratings
            06.05.2013 21:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not the product for me!

I bought this Benefit Georgia face powder around a year ago when I was on holiday in New York as I got a bit carried away with all the make up being a bit cheaper than it is here in the UK. This product is a face powder that can be used in numerous ways - dusted over the full face to give it a glow, on the cheeks as a kind of blusher, or even swept over the eyelids.

This product comes in similar packaging to the other Benefit bronzers/blushers - a square box with a lift on/off lid. Inside the box there is a small brush which is quite an unusual shape, with just a straight line of bristles attached to an equally small wooden handle. The brush is something that I don't like about this product, I have never really used any of the Benefit brushes that come with their blushers/bronzers. I think they are just too small and hard to grip. I always end up using my own brushes. I'd rather they left the brush out and just gave me an extra gram or two of the product itself.

The product itself is a light peachy colour and has a slight, subtle shimmer. There is also a subtle scent that comes from the product, it is a peach/apricot-like smell that is noticeable if you smell the box but not so noticeable when the product is actually on your face. When you swirl your brush in the product it is easily picked up on the brush.

I have tried wearing this product in a couple of ways. Firstly I have used it instead of a bronzer and swept a light coating of it all over my face. I found that I didn't really like to wear it in this way and it didn't suit my quite pale skin tone. My face looked too "peachy" and it didn't really give me a glow in the same way that other bronzing products do.

I have also tried using this product as more of a blusher, applying a heavier layer just on my cheek bones. Again I wasn't keen on it this way, as it did not really stand out on my skin and I reverted back to my usual pink blusher which I prefer. This may be just a personal preference issue, but Benefit claim that this product suits all skin tones but I would have to say I disagree with this statement. I feel that the product may suit those with darker skin better.

To give the product credit where it's due, it does apply evenly onto the skin and lasts well, staying put on my face even at the end of a long day. It is then easily removed with make up remover/wipes/my normal cleanser. Another advantage is that it does not irritate my sensitive skin in any way.

From looking on the Benefit website this product seems to have been discontinued. I am not sure of the price it sold for in the UK but as the other blushers/bronzers sell for around £22.50 I imagine it was a similar price. There is 11g of powder in the box. I do think this is quite expensive especially for a product I didn't like that much.

I am giving this product a 3 star rating, as despite not liking it that much it is probably more of a personal shade preference issue. It is still a good quality product despite the fact that in my opinion it does not suit all skin tones, as Benefit claim. Thanks for reading/rating and I hope you found my review helpful.

• St. Ives Apricot Scrub / Skin Care / 47 Readings / 46 Ratings
            03.05.2013 20:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice budget face scrub

I like to exfoliate my facial skin regularly, and for a while now I have been using this St. Ives Apricot Scrub. St. Ives is quite a well known skincare brand and is widely available in chemists, supermarkets and other shops that sell skincare products. St. Ives claims to be the UK's number 1 scrub brand. This product is a facial scrub and St. Ives say "this cleansing forumla gently exfoliates, removing dull, dead skin to reveal smooth, radiant, healthy looking skin".

St. Ives Apricot Scrub comes in a white/peach tube with the product name and some information on the front, along with a picture of some apricots. The packaging has recently been updated. The tube has a flip top lid on the bottom meaning it kind of stands "upside down" which is helpful when you are nearing the end of the tube and need to squeeze some out.

To use this face scrub you need to moisten your hands and face then gently massage into skin, avoiding the eyes. I find that I need about a 10p sized dollop to cover my whole face. The scrub itself is a creamy beige in colour and has visible granules throughout it. When I apply it to my face and gently rub it in, I can feel the little granules getting to work and scrubbing my skin. The scrub has a creamy/soapy consistency.

I do find the scrub quite difficult to remove from my face, the creaminess means you need to rinse quite thoroughly to remove all traces of it. For this reason I tend to use it in the shower as the running water makes it easier to get off than when I am just washing my face over the sink. I have used this scrub to take my make up off before but as it can't really be used around the eyes I don't find it effective for this purpose. I usually use it around 2-3 mornings a week when I am in the shower. On times when I have used this scrub over the sink I have found that it leaves a bit of residue behind in the sink and is quite difficult to rinse away from there too, I usually have to give the sink a bit of a wipe afterwards.

This scrub smells delicious. It has a fruity apricot/peach smell that is evident when you are using it. The smell doesn't really linger on your face after you have rinsed, however. This doesn't bother me as I am usually applying moisturiser and make up afterwards anyway, so wouldn't notice a smell that lingered.

After using this facial scrub and drying my face, my skin does feel slightly tight and in need of a good moisturise. I don't think this is out of the ordinary for facial scrubs as they are getting rid of dead skin cells. My normal, quite light, moisturiser resolves this problem. After using the scrub and applying moisturiser my skin feels soft and smooth. Any flecks of dry skin that I had disappear after using the scrub. I definitely think my skin looks a lot fresher and brighter on the days when I have used the scrub.

This apricot scrub is quite a gently scrub and could probably be used daily if desired. I tend to use it 3 times a week maximum because my skin can be quite sensitive and I don't like to exfoliate it too much. Having said that, this scrub does not irritate my skin in any way and therefore I would recommend it to anyone else with sensitive skin.

This facial scrub costs anywhere between around £2 and £4.50 for a 150ml tube depending on where you buy it and what offers are available at the time. I think it is a decent product at a decent price. Thanks for reading/rating.

• Benefit Sun Beam / Sun Care / 51 Readings / 51 Ratings
              28.04.2013 20:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Liquid sunshine in a bottle

I have been a fan of Benefit High Beam for a while now and use it fairly regularly. I have recently had the pleasure of trying Benefit Sun Beam as my friend kindly gave me an almost full bottle that she did not want, as she felt it did not match her skin tone.

My skin is naturally quite pale but in the summer months I can get a bit of a tan. Also when I am wearing fake tan I tend to make my face make up a little bit darker to match the rest of my skin. I therefore thought that the Benefit Sun Beam would be a nice alternative to High Beam when my skin is tanned.

Benefit Sun Beam is a golden bronze complexion highlighter that is described by Benefit as "liquid sunshine in a bottle". Similar to the High Beam, Sun Beam comes in a round bronze coloured glass bottle similar to a nail varnish bottle. The brush is attached to the inside of the lid which screws on/off.

To apply the product you dot it onto your skin using the brush and quickly blend it in with your fingers. Similarly to High Beam, I have found that Sun Beam does not blend well if you apply too much, it is therefore best to apply sparingly. I usually apply it on top of the rest of my make up to my cheek bones. The liquid is lightly scented and feels quite pleasant and light on the face.

Sun Beam gives my skin a really natural looking, sun-kissed glow without making my skin appear greasy or oily. I tend to use only a small amount if I want a subtle daytime look, but it can also be built up for a darker appearance which I do if I am going on a night out and have fake tan on. In comparison to High Beam, Sun Beam has more of a bronze tone whereas High Beam has a pearlescent, pink tone.

This product stays put on my skin all day but at the same time doesn't feel like it is clogging my pores. I have very sensitive skin but this does not irritate it in any way. When I clean my skin using my normal regime the product is easily removed.

I was lucky enough to be given this product by a kind friend who no longer wanted it, but the Boots website tells me it sells for the same price as High Beam which is currently £19.50 for a 13ml bottle. This is quite pricey and for those who are considering buying it but not sure if they will like it, it would probably be best to go to a Benefit counter and try it out first. It is available in larger Boots stores and any other stockists of Benefit products.

I give Sun Beam a 4 star rating. I like it and will continue to use it throughout the summer and whenever I have a tan (natural or artificial). I am taking one star off because of the price and also because it won't suit all skin tones. Thanks for reading/rating.

• Clinique Powder Blush / Make Up / 44 Readings / 44 Ratings
              27.04.2013 20:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice blusher from Clinique

I always buy my foundation from Clinique and last time I was at the counter they had a deal on where if I purchased 2 items I got a free gift. As I needed new blusher at the time and I don't yet have a favourite blusher, I bought one of the Clinique Powder Blushes.

There are a variety of shades to choose from in this blusher range, names and descriptions (where applicable) as per the Clinique website are listed below:
              Bashful blush
              Aglow - a soft coppery nude with golden pearl
              Sunset glow - a mid tone redish bronze
              Smouldering plum - a heathered purple
              Iced lotus - a blue blue pink with white shimmer
              Pink posy - an energetic pink peach with gold pearl
              Pink love
              Innocent peach

I chose the "pink posy" shade as I thought this colour would suit me best. I prefer pink, girly blushers.

The blusher comes in a rectangular shaped, shiny silver compact. When you open the compact it is split into two sections, one containing the blusher and the other containing a brush to apply it. The brush itself is quite small and it requires a few strokes to apply enough blusher onto my face. For this reason if I am applying the brusher at home I just use my standard size blusher brush, and save the little brush that comes in the set only for use when I am out and about and want to touch up my make up. Despite being a small brush, the bristles are soft and the blusher clings to them well, allowing for a relatively easy application. There is a mirror on the inside of the compact which makes it handy to apply on the go.

I find that this blusher transfers from the blusher brush onto my skin really easily. The 'pink posy' shade that I chose colours my cheeks a natural shade of pink that doesn't stand out too much or look too bright, but is still a nice feminine colour. More or less can be applied as required to build the right colour intensity.

One of my favourite things about this blusher is that it is really long lasting. Even 10 to 12 hours after application, it is still in place on my face and doesn't fade much. In the past I have bought other expensive blushers that are barely visible after a couple of hours but that isn't the case with this Clinique blusher.

This blusher is oil free so doesn't make my face look shiny or greasy in any way. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin in any way. As Clinique are well known for their skin products it is safe to say that this blusher is good quality and I would agree with their claim that it is suitable for all skin types.

This blusher cost me £21 for 6g of product. I do think that this is pricey but don't mind paying it for something that is good quality. I would recommend it, and am giving it a 4 star rating, taking 1 star off because of the very small brush and the cost. Thanks for reading/rating.

23.04.2013 21:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

I can think of better quality moisturisers for cheaper

At Christmas time I received a tub of this Body Shop body butter in the "Cocoa butter" variety. I don't use a lot of body moisturiser but do like to put a bit on my legs after shaving them to avoid any dryness.

This body butter comes in a 200ml round, flat tub. The packaging is light brown in colour with a picture of a cocoa bean on the front of the lid. The lid screws open/closed and when open reveals a pale, creamy coloured product.

This body butter surprised me by how firm it is to touch. I expected it to be a thick moisturising cream, but it really is more like butter in consistency. You kind of need to dig your finger into it to scoop a bit up and when it is rubbed between your hands it melts a little and becomes thinner in consistency. When I rub this onto my skin it spreads easily and a little goes quite a long way.

I find that this body butter feels quite greasy on my skin and doesn't absorb that easily. After shaving my legs I like to moisturise and get dressed quite quickly but with this body butter I feel like I am always putting my clothes on before the cream has really sunk in. For this reason I have started to apply this moisturiser at night time only now so that it gets a chance to be absorbed. My hands need a good wash after applying to get rid of the greasy feeling.

After applying this body butter and allowing it to absorb I do find that my skin is well moisturised and feels soft and smooth. It definitely helps prevent any dryness or itching which I am prone to on my legs. The Body Shop claim this provides 24 hour moisture which I would agree with. The scent of this product is cocoa butter, a chocolatey/vanilla scent. I think it is quite a pleasant smell and isn't too overpowering or strong.

I didn't buy this product myself but I have checked on the Body Shop website and was surprised to find that at full price it costs £13.00 for a 200ml tub. I am aware that the Body Shop frequently have their body butters on offer or reduced in the sale, but at full price I definitely think this is pricey and would not pay this price myself.

Because of the disadvantages I feel this product has, I am taking 2 stars off and giving it a 3 star rating. It is something that I will continue to use up but wouldn't buy it myself and probably won't miss it that much when it's all used. Thanks for reading/rating and I hope this review was helpful to you.

23.04.2013 11:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fantastic intensive conditioning treatment

I like to give my hair a bit of a treat now and again by using an intensive conditioner. I was getting fed up paying over the odds for some of the more expensive conditioners and decided to try one of the Boots own brand range of intensive conditioners.

I purchased this Boots Coconut and Almond Intensive Hair Mask for the price of £1.99 for a 350ml tub. At the time I purchased this hair mask there was also a Honey and Jojoba variety available. The tub is round in shape and made from white plastic. There is a label on the tub which has quite an attractive, eye-catching picture of a coconut on the front along with the product name and the "Boots Ingredients" logo.

The tub has a screw on/off lid. The hair mask itself is a white, slightly pearly looking, thick cream. Immediately upon opening the tub you can smell the strong scent of coconut with a hint of almond. This hair mask is used in the same way as most conditioners, you apply it to wet hair after shampooing and rinsing. For best results you leave it for 5 minutes before rinsing it out.

I usually rub this conditioner well into the ends of my hair and smooth only a small bit near the roots as I am prone to greasy hair, and it is the ends of my hair that I feel are dry and need attention. My hair is medium length and quite thick. I find that a little of this conditioner spreads out and goes quite a long way, meaning the tub lasts for ages. I try to leave the conditioner in for as long as possible but there are times when I definitely haven't made it the full 5 minutes as I have been in too much of a rush!

This conditioner rinses out easily and leaves my hair feeling really soft. My hair is prone to tangles but when I use this treatment it brushes out quite easily. After drying my hair feels noticeably moisturised and smooth. One thing I really like about this hair product is that the smell stays in your hair all day. The smell is lovely in my opinion, as I do like the smell of coconut.

I tend to use this conditioner about once a week, as it is designed to be an intensive mask. I stick to my normal conditioners other times. Since I have started using this conditioner I have definitely noticed an improvement in the condition of my hair particularly around the ends where it is normally dry and can look a bit straggly.

I think this hair mask is really good value at £1.99, it is much cheaper than other comparable products. Given that you don't use it every day and a little goes a long way, it is something that does not need replacing often. I can't think of any disadvantages of this product so I give it a full 5 star rating along with my recommendation. Thanks for reading/rating and I hope you found this review helpful.

15.04.2013 21:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice shampoo from Dove

I am not particularly brand loyal when it comes to choosing shampoos and will often just buy whatever is on offer. The Dove range of shampoos are frequently on offer in Boots and the larger supermarkets so I will stock up on these when I see them at a good price.

I regularly get my hair coloured with highlights and I like the idea of a shampoo helping my colour last longer. For this reason the Dove Damage Therapy Colour Radiance Shampoo caught my eye. This shampoo within the Dove range claims to keep colour looking more vibrant for up to 10 weeks.

This Dove shampoo comes in a white plastic bottle. The bottle is quite sleek looking - it is wide at the bottom and becomes narrower as it gets to the top. The "colour radiance" logo is in pink which stands out well against the white and can be clearly identified. The bottle is shaped in a way that makes it easy to grip and has a flip top lid that is easily opened even with slippery hands.

When you squeeze this shampoo out of the bottle it is noticeably thick and creamy. It is pearly white in colour. When applied to wet hair this shampoo creates a thick lather, meaning only a small amount of shampoo is required to cover my shoulder length hair which is quite thick. The shampoo also rinses out of my hair easily and there is no stickiness or residue left behind. When I brush my hair after using this Dove shampoo it is noticeably less tangled than normal. After drying my hair feels clean and really soft and smooth to the touch.

One thing I love about this shampoo is the smell. It is hard to describe the smell but it is a creamy, feminine scent. I find the scent of most Dove products to be similar - the scent of this shampoo is nearly exactly the same as the scent of the Dove cream bar soap and also the body washes. After drying my hair I find that this scent stays in my hair all day and when I move my hair I get a lovely reminder of the nice scent of this shampoo.

One thing I would say about this shampoo is that the second day after washing, my hair is not as clean as it is with other shampoos and tends to be a bit on the greasy side. I am prone to greasy hair so this may not be the case for everyone. I do find however that this Dove shampoo does not keep my hair as clean for as long as other shampoos. This is probably due to the creamy nature of the shampoo, I find translucent, less creamy shampoos tend to keep my hair cleaner for a bit longer.

I find it difficult to say whether this shampoo actually helps to prevent my colour from fading, I haven't noticed much of a difference but then again I also haven't used this shampoo for longer than a couple of weeks at a time before as I usually switch around shampoos quite frequently depending on what mood I am in. I like it as a shampoo but wouldn't buy it especially for it's colour protecting properties.

At full price, this shampoo costs £2.69 in Tesco for a 250ml bottle. It is often on half price offer, including at the minute, at a bargain £1.34 per bottle. I think this is a great price for a branded shampoo. I give this product a 4* rating, I am taking one star off because it doesn't keep my hair clean for as long as other shampoos, and also because I am not sure if it actually protects my colour. Thanks for reading/rating.

13.04.2013 20:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Refreshes greasy hair and leaves it smelling great

I have previously reviewed the Batiste "blush" dry shampoo which used to be my favourite in the Batiste range until I recently tried this "cherry" Batiste dry shampoo. My hair tends to last only around 24 hours after being washed before it starts to look a bit greasy. As I can't be bothered washing and drying it every day and don't think it's great for my hair to do so either, I regularly use dry shampoo to freshen my hair up a bit.

The Batiste range of dry shampoos come in various scents, each in a different coloured tin. The Batiste "cherry" dry shampoo comes in a lovely tin - it is turquoise in colour with red cherries dotted all over it. There is a white banner on it with the "Batiste" logo in darker turquoise. On the back of the can is the product ingredients and instructions for use.

To use this product you simply apply it in the same way you would any dry shampoo. You spray it onto your hair, rub it in a bit and brush it out. Hair can then be styled as normal. I find giving the can a good shake before spraying, and also spraying lightly minimises the white tinge that is often left behind. I usually apply the shampoo only around my roots as this is where is affected, and I find that immediately after spraying and rubbing in this product the grease has disappeared.

After using dry shampoo in my hair I find that my hair looks a bit duller and less shiny than it does if I have washed it with ordinary shampoo. While the dry shampoo removes the grease it doesn't leave my hair looking as "nice" as it would when I have washed it properly. This is something that I find happens with all dry shampoos so isn't a negative for this product in particular.

This product smells gorgeous - it is fruity and sweet and smells mildly of cherries. I find that unlike other scents in the Batiste range, the cherry variety has a smell that stays in your hair all day which adds to the clean and fresh feeling. I definitely prefer the cherry scent above the other varieties that I have tried.

The can size is 200mls which lasts me around 3 months, with an average use of about 2-3 times a week. The price of Batiste varies depending on where you buy it, as it is readily available in many shops including chemists and supermarkets. I purchased mine for £1.99 and on a 3 for 2 offer in Tesco.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Batiste and it is definitely the best out of any dry shampoos I have tried. The "cherry" fragrance is lovely and is definitely my favourite in the range. I give this product 5*. Thanks for reading/rating and I hope you found my review useful.