85fiona

• Comments

Member since: 11.05.2006

24.05.2012 22:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

great value nail varnish from boots

I'm a big fan of the boots number 17 range of make up. It is really good value and good quality stuff as well. I have bought a number of different things from the number 17 range including eye liner, mascara, concealer and nail varnish, which I will be reviewing today. The nail varnish comes in a huge variety of colours, I tend to go for black, red, pink or blue but there are a whole load of other colours available. I usually go for the number 17 fast finish nail varnish because I am very impatient when I'm waiting for nail varnish to dry! Even after it drys I still do everything with the weird my-nails-are-still-wet manerisms, the nail varnish wearing people will know what I'm talking about! As well as fast dry nail varnish the boots number 17 range also does crackle coat, lasting fix and supreme shine. The fast finish nail varnish comes in 8ml bottles and currently costs £2.99 in boots, I think that is very good value, a brand named nail varnish would probably charge you up to ten pounds for a similar sized bottle. The bottle is made of clear glass so you can see the colour of the nail varnish inside and see how much nail varnish you have left. The lid is made of plastic and has a twist top, the underneath of the lid has the nail varnish brush attached. I find the nail varnish is very good and it does dry a bit quicker than other nail varnishes which are not quick drying, The consitancy of the nail varnish is nicely thick without being too gloopy, nor is it too runny so it runs off your nails! My only gripe with the nail varnish is it tends to chip fairly easily, although I have tried some other brands of nail varnish and they chip as well, I guess a solution would be to by a chip resistant nail varnish! All in all this is a great nail varnish, I would recommend you give it a go, might even save you a bit of money :)

24.05.2012 20:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

good value tissues

I have been buying these tesco value tissues for a while as they are the cheapest available at my local tescos. The come in a box of 150 2ply tissues and currently cost 68p per box (though a quick look at the tesco website it says the box has 225 tissues in it, my box only has 150 tissues) The box is very plain as you would expect from a product from the tesco value range. The box is rectangular and is mostly white with a red stripe around it. the top of the box has a push out oval bit that you remove after buying the tissue so you can get the tissues out! Tesco has recently rebranded its value range to "everyday value" so the packaging has changed slightly, I have found with other items from the new "everyday value" range is nicer looking than the old value packaging. The tissues themselves are plain white and rectangular shaped, they are 2ply so are relatively thin compared to more expensive brand named tissues. Although I prefer thicker tissues, for the price I paid I didn't expect the tissues to be equivalent to more expensive brands. The tissues are quite soft, not as good as more expensive brands but are pretty good, I find the don't hurt my nose when I blow it and are also good for wiping up small spills. The tissues do tent to tear more easily than other tissues, I sometimes use more than one to stop them tearing. Overall these tissues are pretty good, for the price of 68p you cant really go wrong as long as you don't expect them to be the best tissues ever! I will certainly keep buying them but if you have a sensitive nose or prefer thicker tissues you might want to go for something more expensive.

24.05.2012 00:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great value plasters

I always like to have plasters in the house, nothing more annoying than cutting yourself and being unable to find a plaster, have to use some toilet roll or something to stem the bleeding. I don't think I have ever really bought branded plasters, don't see the point really for something your going to wear for a day at most and then bin. I usually go for shops own brand plasters, whether that be the supermarket or boots I try and make sure I always have a box kicking about the house/ These boots cushioned plasters come in a green cardboard box and area available in most boots stores and online. They come in a pack of 20 assorted sizes, 16 that measure 19mm x 72mm and 4 that measure 30mm x 72mm. The plasters are all individually wrapped so they are easy to apply. The boots range also do clear plasters and waterproof plasters if that is more what you are after. The plasters themselves are nice and cushioned without being too bulky. I find these especially useful for cuts or injuries somewhere they might get rubbed, such as on your feet or round the waistband of your trousers, the padded bit of the plaster gives the area more protecting. I have sometimes even used the plasters proactively if I am wearing shoes that rub. Overall I would recommend these plasters, especially if you are looking for plasters with a bit of padding. They currently cost around £2 in boots for a pack which I think is a great deal.

• 17 Eye Shadow Solo Pot / Make Up / 20 Readings / 20 Ratings
      22.05.2012 22:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

very good value range of eyeshadows from boots

The number 17 range is a make up range by boots. They do everything from eyeshadows to lipgloss, nail varnish to mascara. The number 17 range is usually one of the cheapest ranges of make up you will find in boots and is great value for money. I have bought several things from the boots number 17 range including the eyeshadow pots and I am very pleased with the range as a whole The eyeshadow pots come in a huge variety of colours from subtle nudes and browns to vibrant purples greens and blues as well as sparkly silvers and golds. I have owned quite a few different colours from the range and I like to try different colours every now and again. The eyeshadow pots are circular and are a bit bigger than a 10p piece, they are made of black plastic and have a clear plastic lid so you can see the colour inside. The lid twists off easily and you get a good amount of eye shadow within the pot. The eyeshadow is in a powder form and can be applied to your eyes with a makeup sponge or brush or even your finger. I find that the eyeshadow lasts very well and I only need to apply it once before I go out. The current price per eyeshadow pot in boots is £3.89 which is a great price, some brand named eyeshadows can cost you up to £10 or more which I think is shocking! I would definately rather save my pennies and buy the boots number 17 eyeshadow pots. Overall I would definately recommend these eyeshadow pots, the price is great, the colour range is excellent so there is likely to be a colour to suit everyone and every ocassion, so definately worth giving them a go.

21.05.2012 22:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great value hayfever tablets

I have suffered from hayfever on and off for around 11 or 12 years, some years I get it quite bad, some years its pretty non existent. It is not nearly as bad as it was when I was around 15 or 16, my eyes were streaming and nose was running no matter what I did! I always like to keep some antihistamines in the house just in case it flares up again. These tesco non drowsy hayfever relief tablets contain 10mg of loratadine, I usually go for non drowsy hayfever relief as I don't want to be falling asleep! How much the others would make me fall asleep I'm not really sure. Though if loratadine doesn't work for you tesco also do cetirizine tablets which may make you drowsy. The tesco non drowsy hayfever tablets are very cheap, currently costing 85p for a packet of 7, the cetirizine tablets cost even less at only 50p for 7! This is compared to brand named tablets such as clarityn (which contains loratadine as well) costing up to £3 for a pack of 7. The tablets come in a cardboard box with instructions and the tablets themselves are in a blister tablet packet. The tablets are very small, kind of oval shape and white. They are very very easy to swallow, I usually don't even need to use water to swallow them. You should take one tablet every 24 hours so if you are having a massive hayfever attack one packet should last you a week. As with most antihistamies if I am having a bad hayfever attack I find it doesn't completely stop all the symptoms, but makes them more bearable. My hayfever hasn't been too bad for a number of years, when I was younger I used antihistamines, eye drops and nasal spray to keep the symptoms at bay, and I still suffered sometimes! Overall these are great value for money and I would definately reccomend these to any hayfever suffers, especially if you normally buy more expensive tablets. some people may fine these don't work as well for them but for 85p a packet, it is worth it to give them a go, you may save a lot of money!

• E45 Cream / Skin Care / 17 Readings / 14 Ratings
      20.05.2012 19:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

a great cream for those with dry skin

My doctor recommended I get some of this cream after I was suffering from dry itchy skin on my legs. I dutifully popped off to boots to buy some and came away with a big 350g tub of e45 which cost me around £6 or £7. E45 is a cream especially for the treatment of dry skin conditions, this includes dry, itching, flaking, chapped, rough and calloused skin as well as sunburn and detergent hands. E45 can also be used for more severe skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. E45 is a very recognisable brand, all the products come in plain white packaging with E45 written on the front in a blue bubble, so although it is simple packaging it is easy to spot. As well as the tub of cream I purchased, E45 is also available in a variety of other forms, this includes, lotion, emollient bath oil, shampoo, shower cream, foot and heal cream, itch relief cream, lip balm, body lotion, junior bath foam and many more. The cream I bought is also available in a 50g tube and a 125g tub. The 350g tub will cost you about £6.50 in tescos and £7 in boots. Th cream itself a white colour and is really thick. This is really good as some creams can be quite thick and watery so If you are trying to apply the cream to a large area such as your legs it doesn't just run off onto the floor. The cream is unperfumed, it does have a bit of a smell to it but it is not overly strong, it should be suitable for most people, even those with allergies. The cream is nice and cooling when you apply it, I did find after only a few days use my skin felt softer and was less itchy. I don't use the E45 cream all that often just when I need it, so my 350g tub has lasted a long time. The active ingredients of the E45 cream are white soft paraffin, light liquid paraffin and Anhydrous Lanolin (Medilan). It contains other ingredients as well so anyone with any allergies should check the ingredients but E45 cream should be suitable for most people. Overall I would recommend E45 cream for those with dry skin conditions especially if you have skin allergies that might be aggravated by ingredients added to other creams.

20.05.2012 13:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great value beans and sausages for those on a budget

These tesco value beans and sausages are great value and can be turned into beans on toast in less than 5 mins! A 405g tin (weird amount I know) will cost you 33p, compared to heinz version which will cost you about £1 a tin. The whole tesco value brand has recently been rebranded to "everyday value" so the packaging has changed slightly but its still the same old beans! The tin needs to be opened with a tin opener (prefer ring pulls, but for 33p I'm not complaining) and the beans and sausages can be cooked on the hob or microwaved (they can probably be eaten cold as well if your desperate!). Half a tin does me for one meal of beans on toast but if you are extra hungry you could eat the whole lot! I usually microwave the beans and sausages and keep the half I haven't eaten in a bowl in the fridge. If you are doing this you should decant the beans and sausages out of of the tin and keep in the fridge, they should be eaten within 3 days. The beans and sausages come in a tomatoy sauce, I find the sauce to be quite thin and watery compared to more expensive beans and sausages, but it doesn't really fuss me, can pour out some of the sauce if it is too saucy for you ;) You get around 8 sausages per tin which I think is very good, I would have thought being from the value range they may have scrimped on the sausages but they haven't. The sausages are made of pork and are pretty tasty, I'm not a big fan of sausages but I like the ones you get in tins of beans. Nutritionally these beans and sausages are not bad. Per half tin: Calories: 230 Saturated fat: 2.4g Sugar: 8.3g Salt: 1.6g Compare this to heinz beans and sausages, per half tin: Calories: 193 Saturated fat: 2.6g Sugar: 9g Salt: 2.1g So overall they are very similar, you sometimes find that value products can be a lot less healthy compared to brand named or more expensive versions. In this case the value beans and sausages arn't too bad compared to heinz. Overall I would recommend these beans and sausages if you are trying to save a bit of money, I think heinz are better but I will definitely continue buying these as they are great value for money!

20.05.2012 13:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great toilet cleaner

Toilet duck is a well known brand of toilet cleaner with very recognisable adverts involving a duck! As well as the toilet duck toilet cleaner the brand also make fresh disks (deposit these on the side of the toilet instead of a rim block), fresh brush (a disposable toilet brush) and rim block Toilet duck 3 in 1 active comes in a 750ml bottle with a curved head, this allows you to squirt the liquid under the rim of the toilet for maximum cleaning. The lid on the bottle is child safe, meaning you have to squeeze and turn it to open the bottle. Toilet duck comes in 3 "flavours"; fresh (green bottle), marine (blue bottle) and citrus (yellow bottle). I have only ever bought the green version. The toilet duck liquid is quite thick, thicker than normal bleach and brightly coloured green (I'm assuming the other flavours are different colours). Toilet duck claims to kill 99.9% of germs, clean thoroughly and attack limescale. To use the toilet duck you just undo the lid and squirt the toilet duck under the rim of the toilet. You can either leave it in the toilet for a few hours to clean it or you can scrub it straight away. I find the toilet duck is very effective at cleaning and I only need to clean my toilet every so often as it stays clean. The smell is very pleasant, it smells kind of bleachy as you would expect from a toilet cleaner but that is fine. Toilet duck currently costs around £1.40 and is available in most supermarkets. I feel this is a very reasonable price. Overall I would recommend toilet duck as it cleans very well and leaves your toilet smelling and looking nice and fresh

19.05.2012 14:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

not for me

I was quite surprised to see that the tesco value pasta sauce has got such high star ratings, in my experience it is not nice at all. I bought a couple of jars of tesco value pasta sauce a couple of months ago to go with some fresh tortellini pasta I had bought. The tortellini only needs a small amount of sauce so I didnt want to splash out on an expensive sauce, so when I saw the jars of pasta sauce for only 39p I though that was great deal and I actually bought two jars! The sauce is tomato based and comes in a glass screw top jar, each jar contains 440g of sauce. The sauce is pretty basic and contains mostly tomato, with some herbs and garlic added for extra flavour. The nutritional information per 1/4 jar is: Calories: 23 Saturated fat: 0.2g Sugar: 2.4g Salt: 1.6g Overall the calorie content is quite low which is good, though the salt and sugar seems a little high to me, though that is a common occurrence with value products, they tend to be less healthy than more expensive varieties. The sauce is very easy to cook, can just microwave it for a few minutes or cook it on the hob, it is very fast to heat up. Since the sauce comes in a screw top jar you can reseal the jar if you don't use all the sauce and keep it in the fridge for later. The sauce should be consumed within 3 days of opening. The sauce consistency is medium thickness and smooth. I would prefer a sauce that is a bit thicker with some lumps of veg in it but since this is from the value range I didn't expect it to be the perfect sauce. I guess if you wanted to add extra to the sauce, like bacon or chopped tomatos that would be very easy to do, I just had it on its own. The sauce smells very nice and tomatoy and i used around 1/3 of a jar to go with my tortellini. The taste of the sauce is quite sweet but also has a tomatoey taste. At first I thought the sauce was pretty good but after a few mouthfuls I began to get a nasty after taste in my mouth, sort of a metallicy kind of bitter taste, kind of hard to describe really. I'd had the tortellini many times before and had never experienced the taste so I assumed the taste was coming from the pasta sauce. I persiveered and finished the meal but I wasn't very impressed with the sauce at all. Overall I wouldn't recommend this sauce based on my experience, maybe I just had a bad batch as it gets mainly positive reviews from other dooyooers, but I have to say I put the rest of the the jar of sauce and the second jar I bought straight in the bin. I'm always willing to try items from the tesco value range to save a bit of money, some are good, some are not, this certainly goes in the latter category and I won't be buying it again.

19.05.2012 12:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great value foil from Tescos

I use foil quite a lot, mostly for covering the grill pan when I'm grilling stuff or for covering food in the fridge if I don't have a lid for it. I have bought this tesco value foil for a while now, at the moment it costs 90p but prices can vary. The next brand of foil up (tescos own, but not value) will cost about £1.49 but that is only for 10m of foil while the value foil measure 290mm by 25m. The foil comes wrapped up around a cardboard tube, is a good thickness and tears easily. Unfortunately the foil does not come with a cardboard box, this can make it quite difficult to tear as you don't have the edge of the box with the teeth on it to tear against. I have got round this by originaly buying some more expensive foil with a box and keeping the box to put new rolls of foil in. Not a major issue, but it is worth noting if you are buying this foil for the first time. Overall I would recommend this foil, especially if you use a lot of it, though I would suggest you keep an onld foil box so you can use the teeth on it to tear the value foil as it can be a bit difficult to tear other wise! (I guess you could cut it with scissors....)

19.05.2012 12:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great value kidney beans I buy again and again

These tesco value kindey beans are very good value, for only 18p for a 400g tin the cant be beaten on value! Next brand up (tescos own kidney beans, not value) are 49p for a 400g so more than double the price! The kidney beans come in a metal tin which is plainly decorated. The tesco value range has recently been re-branded as "everyday value" so the packaging has changed slightly. The tin is now a sort of off white colour, with a nice colour picture of some kidney beans. The tin says "everyday value red kidney beans in water" and states that half a tin counts as 1 of your five a day (should have 5 portions of fruit and vegtables a day). Half a tin contains Calories: 140 Sugar: 4.3g Fat: 0.7g Saturates: 0.1g Salt: trace The kidney beans tin needs a tin opener to open, would be nice if you had a ring pull on them but I guess you need to pay more than 18p to get that! The beans can be just cooked by themselves, either in the microwave or on the hob or can be added to meals (need to be drained first). I use them mainly for adding to home made turkey and beef burgers or for chilli concarne. The beans are a nice dark red colour and taste really nice! Once opened the kidney beans should be used within 2 days and should be kept in the fridge. You should transfer the beans to a non metallic container and put in the fridge if you are keeping them. Over all I would recommend these kidney beans, I have been buying them for a while and have never had any problems with them, why pay more when you can only pay 18p!

• Boots Antiseptic Cream / First Aid / 15 Readings / 14 Ratings
      19.05.2012 00:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

a good value antiseptic cream

I have a wee first aid kit at home that contains things like plasters, painkillers, tape, bandage, antiseptic cream ect.I'm a bit of a clutz (not so much now but when I was a kid I actually used to fall over every day) so its handy to have these things around. I used to keep savalon in my wee kit but as I'm a cheapskate (times are hard right now, every penny is a prisioner!) I decided to try boots own brand antiseptic cream instead. It cost me around £1.39 for a 35g tube, it is also available in a 60g or 100g tube, but as I don't use it that much (my clutzy days are coming to an end) I decided to go for the 35g tube. A 60g tube of savlon will cost you around £2.89 in boots. Ok so not a huge price difference if you look at gram for gram, but better than nothing. The boots antiseptic cream comes in a green coloured cardboard box with the tube of cream inside which is also green (I'm guessing this is an old picture that is shown here. The box has instructions on it as well as on the tube. the tube has a screw cap and it is sealed when you first open it. Boots antiseptic cream is a non-greasy cream that can be used for healing and soothing of, minor cuts, grazes, burns or scolds, sunburn, dry chapped skin, nappy rash, insect bites and spots/pimples. I mainly use it if I get a cut or a small burn. The cream is a white colour and has a slight scent too it, it smells quite medical, like a hospital or something but it is in no way unpleasant. I find the cream to be very cooling and soothing and I do feel it helps things heal a bit faster. Overall I would recommend this cream, I think it is great value for money and a great item to have in your first aid kit.

17.05.2012 22:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice smelling deodorant from lynx

My boyfriend was in need of some new deodorant, he was a bit fed up of his old deodorant (I forget what it was, some other lynx deodorant though) so next time we were at the shops we browsed the isles for something new and came across this. This review is on africa lynx dry, not sure if its exactly the same as africa lynx but I'm assuming its very similar. The lynx africa dry comes in a silver 150ml metal can with a black lid. The lid is quite funky, instead of coming off the lid bit twists which pushes up the spray bit of the can. I guess this means that you can't lose the lid which might happen! The smell of the lynx is very nice, I think some lynx deodorants can smell horrible but this one is lovely. It is quite sweet smelling which might put some people off, but it does have that kind of "manly" smell to it as well, other wise it would be quite girly! The instructions on the can suggest you shake it well, hold it about 15cm from your armpit and spray, pretty standard instructions for deodorant really. Obviously since this is an aerosol can it is highly flammable so no spraying it and lighting it! My boyfriend says the deodorant works well and tends to last him all day, he sometimes has to re-apply if he's been out working on his car or something but otherwise its fine. The deodorant cost around £3 which is pretty standard for a brand name deodorant, if you want cheaper you can go for own brand. Overall I would recommend it based on the smell and my boyfriend would recommend it because it works well :)

17.05.2012 20:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

something the ease the cleaning of your bathroom

My bathroom seems to be a bit of a dust magnet for some reason. When I use a cloth to wipe it down it just gets full of the dust and when I try and rinse it away it just kinda sticks to the cloth which isn't great. I noticed these wipes in tescos recently so I thought I may as well give them a go. The wipes are located in the cleaning isle in tescos and come in a bright blue packet. The packet says "bathroom wipes" in large letters and currently cost £1.20 for 40 wipes. They are currently on offer at 2 for £2 and there is a whole range of tesco cleaning products included in this offer. The packet of wipes has a resealable opening, much like packers of baby wipes, to keep the wipes from drying out. It is easy to pull a wipe from the packet although sometimes 2 or more can come out at once so you have to be careful. The wipes do not have a strong scent and are only slightly moist but are very good at cleaning. I use them all over the bathroom including the sink, bath, toilet and even the floor so they are very versitile! The biggest plus side of these wipes is that you can just through them out after use so you don't have to rinse them out. I find the wipes do get the bathroom nice and clean and the wipes are pretty robust so they don't fall apart when they get wet (worth noting they should NOT be flushed down the toilet, will clog up the drains!) Overall I would definitely recommend these wipes, my only concern with them is they are rather wasteful (use once and through away) however I only have one bathroom and it is pretty small so I dont feel too bad about it!

• Barr Irn Bru Diet / Soft Drink / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      17.05.2012 20:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

the taste of Scotland!

I am a big fan of irn bru, although I don't drink fizzy drinks all that often but when I do I mainly go for diet irn bru (sugary stuff is good too but this I better for your teeth and your weight). Irn bru is made in Scotland (from girders!) and is sometimes advertised as "Scotland's other national drink" (whisky being the first national drink of course). Irn bru was first produced in the town of Falkirk in Scotland in 1901 and was then known as "Strachan's Brew", it was changed to Irn Bru in 1946 due to a change in the law, it couldn't be called a "brew" because it wasn't brewed. A low calorie version of Irn Bru was launched in 1980, it was re-branded as diet Irn Bru in 1991 and changed again in 2011 to sugar free Irn Bru. Sugar free Irn Bru is a low calorie fizzy drink which is a very vivid orange colour, the drink contains caffeine and a vast range of flavourings. What does Irn bru taste like? well that's anyone's guess really! The manufacturers claim that it has a slight citrus flavour, all I can say is it tastes like Irn Bru and I love it! Both standard and sugar free Irn Bru is widely available in the UK, especially Scotland where for a long time it outsold Coca Cola (number one seller everywhere else in the world) but now sales of Irn bru and Coca Cola are about equal. Sugar free Irn Bru comes in cans and bottles. It is available in a variety of can sizes which are: 150ml (fun size), 330ml (standard) and limited edition 500ml (not sure if this is available any more). The fun size and standard size cans available in multipacks of various amounts (6,8,12,24). There are also a variety of bottle sizes that sugar free Irn bru is available in, 250ml, 500ml, 1 litre, 2 litre and 3 litre. The 250ml bottles usually come in multipacks (but also come as single bottles) and the 2 litre bottles can be bough in packs of 2 or 4. You can also get sugar free Irn Bru in glass bottles (some people say it tastes better in fact) the glass bottles are 750ml and if you return them to a shop you get money back (think its 25p?). The cost of Irn Bru is about the same as any other brand named fizzy drink, around 60p for a 330ml can, £8 for a pack of 24 cans or around £1.70 for a 2 litre bottle. Irn bru certainly is a taste experience, some people don't like it, some people love it, so if you have never tried it then I suggest you give it a try!

1 2 3 4 5 6