AbsintheFairy

Member since: 14.05.2009

User that trust you
    • Lush Cosmetic Lad / Skin Care / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
      11.07.2014 11:38

Advantages

• " moisturises skin"
      • " lovely scent"
      • "Sinks in well"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly too heavy if used everyday"

Not just for men!

If you read my reviews regularly, you''ll know that I am a huge fan of the store Lush. I am trying to sample every product they make, including some of their less than obvious items!

As well as bath products and soap, Lush make a lot of skincare products including cleansers, toners and moisturisers. These can vary in price quite widely, depending on the ingredients. This moisturiser costs GBP11.75 for a 45g tub, which makes it one of the cheapest products. I find that Lush moisturisers last absolutely ages, with only a tiny amount needed for each use, so I was happy to pay this and after using all of the product, I feel it was worth the price.

As the name suggests, Cosmetic Lad is primarily aimed at men. Recognising that men often shave every day, it contains chickweed, which is said to contain antihistamine and be calming. Honey is antiseptic, while lavender water helps to soothe the skin. Linseed mucilage helps to keep the skin soft, while fresh wheatgrass acts as an antioxidant. Aloe vera is a soothing ingredient which can help to soothe the skin, while African marigold helps to reduce redness and regenerate the skin. As well as a moisturiser, the cream can be used as a shaving cream.

Obviously, as a woman, I don''t shave my face! However, the soothing, gentle ingredients in the cream can help all skin, particularly sensitive skin like mine. It is also a fairly light cream, so I hoped it would be good for my slightly oily skin.

As it contains honey, the moisturiser is not suitable for vegans. However, like all Lush products it is suitable for vegetarians.

It also contains tangerine and sandalwood essential oils. This means that the moisturiser smells amazing, fruity but slightly spicy. I thought it smelled a bit like a chocolate orange. It is white in colour and has a pleasant feel and texture, not too thick and not too thin.

On application, the moisturiser sinks in really well, and proves a good base for makeup. It doesn''t leave my skin feeling oily or greasy. If I use it for too many days in a row it can feel a little heavy, but it''s good for the winter, and on the plus side it effectively deals with any dry patches I might have. It keeps my skin feeling soft and smooth, and doesn''t cause spots or anything like that; it doesn''t massively help reduce shine on my skin, however.

In conclusion, this isn''t a perfect moisturiser but it is a very good one: effective, gentle and good value. Not just for men!

• Apple iPod classic 120 GB / MP3 Player / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
      08.07.2014 15:47

Advantages

• " good battery life"
      • " reliable"
      • "Massive memory"

Disadvantages

• "Need to use iTunes with it"

Super iPod with a memory capacity that can't be beaten

MP3 players seem to becoming less and less popular these days, perhaps because many people just listen to music using their phone. I''m not one of these people though: I much prefer a specialist dedicated music player. A couple of years ago, I got one for Christmas. I eschewed the most up-to-date touchscreen iPods in favour of the Classic edition, which seems practically retro!

*Statistics*

This is the 6th generation iPod Classic. It comes in black and silver; I have the silver, made with durable anodised aluminium and polished stainless steel. It has 160GB; is able to store up to 40,000 songs or 25,000 photos; and can store up to 200 hours of films and TV shows.

Though the iPod classic was already a few years old when I got it, I was easily able to obtain accessories for it, including a protective skin, faux leather sleeve and compatible music player (the iGhost).

*Music*

The main reason I wanted this iPod was as a place to store, and be able to listen to, all my music without exception. It easily does that: it can store up to 40,000 songs so I very much doubt I will ever fill it! You need to have iTunes on your computer to be able to sync your music. After initial confusion and trouble, I''ve got used to iTunes and I actually find it very easy to manage and navigate.

*Photos*

The iPod holds up to 25,000 photos. As there is so much space, I have set mine to automatically sync every single photo on my computer. This is very handy and makes using it hassle-free. It is possible to connect your iPod to a TV and look at your photos this way, however I have never done this.

*Using the iPod*

I find the iPod very easy to use and I like the click wheel function. When I want to listen to a particular album, I tend to navigate using the Cover Flow function which helps me recognise albums easily. Otherwise, I can navigate to a particular artist or album, as well as a genre. It is also possible to save playlists. I like the Shuffle function as it adds an element of surprise to my music listening.

The battery life is pretty good, not the 36 hours that is claimed, but since when did any electronic device ever live up to the promised battery life? I can use it for a week on and off (not constantly of course!) without needing to recharge.

***Conclusion***

Despite a few minor issues ? such as the lack of a plug charger ? I really like my iPod. It might seem a bit ?old skool'' now but it works for me and it''s been going for a couple of years with no sign of breaking. For sheer space it can''t be bettered, and overall it''s a great device.

• Argos Beech Baby Bookcase / Furniture / 10 Readings / 9 Ratings
      07.07.2014 12:07

Advantages

• Sturdy
      • Cheap
      • "Looks good"
      • "Easily assembled"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

A highly recommended little bookcase

As I''ve probably mentioned in earlier reviews, I have a particularly small bedroom, and I am always trying to think up ways to give myself more space. A while ago I had the idea of buying a small bookcase to put on my desk, so that I could line up my books and other items without taking up floor space. I chose this Baby Bookcase from Argos, cheap at only GBP12.99, and with dimensions small enough to suit me. These are: H82.5, W65, D16.5cm. The bookcase comes in various finishes: I chose the beech as it would go best with the furniture already in my room. I reserved it on the website and went to pay and collect. It was pretty heavy, but I was able to carry it by myself. Luckily the Argos store is only about ten minutes from my house! The weight is 9kg so this should give some indication of how heavy it is to carry. It comes packed flat, which makes it much easier to carry, but obviously then you need to assemble it yourself... ***Assembly*** It is recommended that 2 people assemble the bookcase, but I managed to do it myself, and seriously, if I can do it then anyone can! I didn''t find it too arduous either. There was some balancing of the various panels needed in order to screw them together in a non-wonky manner, and when it came to hammering the nails into the back panel to fix it to the structure, I may have got some of the nails a bit skewiff. However, the unit is still standing over a year later so I must have done something right! It''s a lot sturdier than the price might suggest. The 2 shelves (thickness 1.5 cm) are adjustable ? you select where you want them to go before fixing them to the unit. It''s worth pointing out that the shelves don''t actually stick to the unit ? they balance on some sticky-out things (don''t know the technical term!) inside the unit. This isn''t a problem when you''re using the unit ? it has shown no sign of being unsteady or collapsing ? but if you move it, it''s best to remove the shelves before doing that. ***Use*** I''ve used the bookcase to store books, DVDs, makeup, storage boxes and a jewellery box, as well as other random items. I haven''t paid attention to any weight limits, but I''ve put quite a lot on the shelves and they show no sign of wear or damage. The wood seems to be hardwearing, and any marks can easily be removed with a cleaning cloth. ***Conclusion*** I definitely recommend this ''baby bookcase'' if you need a small bookcase to store books, DVDs or anything else you would like to keep on display. It''s attractive, sturdy, long lasting ? and very cheap! Highly recommended.

02.07.2014 11:16

Advantages

• "Interesting concept"

Disadvantages

• "Smelled of barbecue sauce"

Smelled of barbecue sauce!

Lush, my favourite store, recently released a number of new fragrances under the Gorilla Perfume name. These look, smell and sound very different to other perfumes from both Lush and other brands, with unusual ingredients and concepts, and I was very intrigued when I heard about them. To coincide with the launch of the new fragrances, Lush opened a temporary gallery space in east London. I visited this gallery and had a memorable experience. The fragrances were displayed as works of art, with pictures or sets used to represent the perfumes. Simon Constantine, head perfumer at Lush, has stated that he wants to develop the concept of perfume as an art form, like painting or music, and I feel that he has met with success here. The new perfumes come in bottles of different sizes and shapes, and look like old apothecary bottles displayed in-store. Testers of the perfumes are available, and I''ve tried The Voice of Reason a few times now. ***Bottle*** Unlike other Lush perfumes, which come in standardised black bottles, the new fragrances come in clear glass bottles of all different shapes and sizes. I really like these bottles as they are unusual and attractive. The perfume itself is a rich brown shade while the label has a picture in black and white of what I assume are two poets. ***The Fragrance*** The Voice of Reason was inspired by the beat generation of poets, including such figures as William Burroughs and Leonard Cohen. It was designed to evoke clubs, cigarettes and coffee shops. Suitable for vegans, the fragrance contains sandalwood oil for a woody, masculine note, buddah wood oil for a spicy aspect, and rose oil for a more floral note. ***My Experience*** I won''t beat around the bush. This smelled of barbecue sauce. It smelled of barbecue sauce when it was in the bottle and it smelled of barbecue sauce on my wrist. The smell of barbecue sauce remained for the entire time the perfume lasted on my skin, which was a good few hours. Over time, the smoky aspect to the fragrance came out more, the only resemblance the scent bore to the description. Maybe I''m just unlucky, and this smells better on other people. I liked the sound of this, so I was rather disappointed. It isn''t that I dislike barbecue sauce, but I''d rather not smell of it ? and if I did want to smell like a condiment, it would be much cheaper to grab a bottle of sauce and smear it over myself! ***Price and Availability*** The Voice of Reason is widely available in Lush stores and via the website. It comes in a range of sizes ranging from 7g (GBP20) to 92g (GBP100). It is the most expensive of the new perfumes, even more so than Hellstone and The Devil''s Nightcap. Needless to say, I won''t be purchasing! ***Conclusion*** I liked the concept behind this fragrance, but it smelled of barbecue sauce. Enough said.

30.06.2014 10:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

Unusual and exciting scent

***Bottle*** Unlike other Lush perfumes, which come in standardised black bottles, the new fragrances come in clear glass bottles of all different shapes and sizes. The label on the bottle shows a large rugged stone set in a landscape against a backdrop of blue sky.

***The Fragrance*** Many of the new Lush scents, including Hellstone and Flower''s Barrow which I have previously reviewed, have been inspired by ancient English landscapes. This fragrance is one of these: the Devil''s Nightcap is a megalith standing in Studland, Dorset; it is claimed that the Devil himself hurled this stone across the sea in an attempt to hit nearby Corfe Castle. It was first noted in 1058, so its heritage goes back years.

The fragrance is suitable for vegans. A base of sesame oil allows the perfume to stick, while oakmoss absolute adds a woody, bitter aspect to the scent. Orange flower absolute adds a hint of natural freshness while clary sage is herbal and clears the mind.

***My Experience*** On first applying this fragrance, I thought it smelled herbal and woody; it reminded me of the outdoors, of the fresh air and rolling landscapes.

When I first applied the perfume, the herbal, green aspect was the most prominent, and there was a fresh, lighter side to the fragrance. The perfume lasted for several hours on my skin, and gradually transformed into a darker, more woody fragrance.

***Price and Availability*** Devil''s Nightcap is widely available in Lush stores and via the website. It comes in a range of sizes ranging from 7g (GBP18) to 92g (GBP85). Along with Hellstone, it is the priciest of the new perfumes, though in fairness it does last a long time and you are paying for quality.

***Conclusion*** I wasn''t sure if I would like Devil''s Nightcap, but I really did. It isn''t my favourite and I''m not sure if I would buy a bottle myself but it would probably appeal to those who like natural, herby, woody scents ? male or female. The scent isn''t as exciting as the unsettling Hellstone, but is more wearable in my opinion. Unfortunately it is one of the most expensive new scents.

23.06.2014 10:53

Advantages

• " well-priced"
      • " pretty packaging"
      • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

Lovely perfume, great packaging, etc.

I''m fond of Body Shop perfumes, as I generally find them to be lovely scents and very reasonably priced. One of my recent acquisitions, in a discounted set, was a bottle of Love Etc. perfume. ***Bottle*** This relatively new fragrance from The Body Shop comes in a simple tapered glass bottle, square when looked at from the top. It is clear, meaning you can see exactly how much of the clear perfume you have remaining. The lid is gold and the name on the bottle is pink. It''s a relatively simple bottle, but attractive and I am happy to display it on my dressing table. ***The Fragrance*** I couldn''t find any details about the components of the fragrance on the Body Shop website, but to me it smells like a light, delicate floral fragrance. It''s perfect for summer days in my opinion, and I think it would suit all women from pre-teens to older ladies, anyone looking for a lighter scent. I don''t think it would do so well for an evening fragrance, or for when you want to be noticed. ***My Experience*** I wasn''t wholly keen on this fragrance when I first tried it, I''m not sure why but I just didn''t take to it. Perhaps because it was more of a floral, rather than a fruity scent. However, I really like it now, it grew on me quite quickly. As with other Body Shop perfumes, I didn''t find this to have the best longevity ? just a couple of hours. However, for me the price makes up for this. Also, I don''t always want a strong long-lasting perfume, especially in the summer when it''s easy to be overpowered by scent if you''re not careful. ***Price and Availability*** The perfume costs around GBP13 for 30ml, very well priced in my opinion, like all Body Shop scents. ***Conclusion*** I definitely recommend this perfume. It might not have the best longevity, but it''s a lovely light floral scent, ideal for the summer.

09.06.2014 10:28

Advantages

• " keeps shine under control"
      • " ok match"
      • Effective

Disadvantages

• "Slightly too dark for me"

Good BB Cream

I tried the Maybelline BB Cream when I got a number of free sachets from magazines and the like. I got loads of sachets and they ended up lasting about two weeks! The full name of the product is Dream Pure BB Cream. It usually costs around GBP6.99 from stores including Boots and Superdrug, which I think is a really good price. It comes in two shades, Light and Medium. I got samples in Light. I am super pale and even the lightest shade of any foundation is normally too dark for me, but although I had to be careful with this as applying too much did look a bit dark, I was able to wear it so long as I put it on sparingly. This also had the positive effect of making it last longer, as I only used a teensy amount each time. The product is a light, fairly runny, foundation-like BB Cream with light but decent coverage. I did have to use moisturiser underneath, because although I have oily skin, this product alone wasn''t enough and I needed a bit more of a substantial base. The BB Cream made my skin look smoother, brighter and more even-toned. I normally have pretty good skin anyway, so I was fine with the lighter coverage, and I didn''t look too ?made-up''. The cream contains SPF 15 too, which is handy as it means I didn''t need to bother with a separate sun cream on a normal day (though on a warm day if I was outside a lot then SPF 15 wouldn''t cut it). Using this product, I found I had to use much less face powder and reapply it much less often, as it helped to keep my shine under control. Overall, this is a good BB cream. I don''t know if I would buy it again as there are other products that better match my skin colour, but if this isn''t an issue for you, definitely give this one a try.

More Comments
      • Breo Sports Watch / Watch / 14 Readings / 14 Ratings
        28.05.2014 11:05

Advantages

• Bright
        • Light
        • Cheap
        • "Casually stylish"

Disadvantages

• "Not the most amazing watch ever"

Does the job

A while ago I purchased this Breo Roam Sports Watch to use at the gym and during other exercise, since I didn''t want to use my ''proper'' watch. It is made of soft feel natural rubber, meaning that it is durable and hardwearing. It comes in a variety of colours, 25 to be exact; I chose the pink, as it was bright and pleasant.

The watch is water resistant to 10m, though I''ve never tried this out. It is made with tourmaline, a precious stone supposedly responsible for beneficial health effects, though I am rather sceptical about this! The battery is user-replaceable and the watch is very light ? only 10g ? making it ideal for exercise. It has an easy-to-read LCD screen.

The watch is very handy and convenient to wear during exercise. The rubber means it wipes down easily afterwards, and it is very comfortable to wear. It has lasted several months already, so is clearly hard wearing. The clear digital face means that the time is always easy to read, and as far as I can make out, it keeps accurate time.

In spite of the increasing popularity of smartphones and other technological devices for telling the time, I personally still prefer to wear a watch, even when I am exercising. This watch is perfect for that purpose. While not the most beautiful watch in the world, this Breo is stylish in its own way, and I am happy to wear it during exercise or for casual use.

• Lush Lip Lime Lip Balm / Lip Care / 13 Readings / 12 Ratings
        22.05.2014 15:06

Advantages

• " good for lips"
        • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• "Not intensive"

Citrusy balm for lips

I made an order from the Lush Retro section recently, when the limited edition range of Retro products was added. One of these was the Lip Lime lip balm.

***This Lip Balm***
        Lip Lime costs 5.95 for 10g and comes in the same little round tins as the normal lip balms. I really like these tins as they are compact and easy to carry around. They are secure and don''t open by themselves ? in fact, if anything they are a little too secure, as they can sometimes be a tad tricky to open! The price is an average one for a Lush lip balm ? it sounds like a lot but I find Lush balms tend to be high quality and also last for ages.

This lip balm is suitable for vegans and is made with a base of shea butter (which comes from a fair trade womens'' cooperative in Ghana), cocoa butter, mango butter and avocado butter. All of these ingredients are very moisturising. The first two are very common in products such as this. The second two are more unusual and add to the fruity citrus quality of the lip balm. The product also contains extra virgin coconut oil and apricot kernel oil, as well as grape seed oil, to add to the tropical nature of the product. Lime, orange and lemon essential oils add a citrusy refreshing tang.

***My Experience***
        Inside the tub, the lip balm is white in colour. To use, you rub your finger over the top and then apply to the lips. Only a small layer is needed and it doesn''t feel greasy unless you put loads on. I found it quite difficult to get enough out at first, but as I used the lip balm more and more and got further into the tin, I found it a lot easier.

I thought the balm smelled lovely, very citrusy and refreshing, and with a distinct aroma of limes. Sadly it didn''t taste of much when applied, although actually this is probably just as well, or else I''d lick it all off! It provides a good base for lipstick, as it isn''t too heavy. It definitely isn''t an intensive lip balm, and in the coldest winter weather it doesn''t really perform well enough. However, as the weather is improving, the balm is turning out to be pretty good, keeping my lips soft and conditioned throughout the day. I tend to apply every hour or two. In fairness, the smell of the balm is definitely summery, so I would imagine it is designed for the warmer weather.

***Conclusion***
        In conclusion, I think this is a lovely lip balm and I definitely recommend it. It smells great and works well, so long as you don''t expect an intensive lip balm. Recommended.

• Lush Twinkle / Bath & Shower / 16 Readings / 15 Ratings
        20.05.2014 10:40

Advantages

• Glitter
        • "Same scent as American Cream"

Disadvantages

• "Hard to find"
        • Pricey
        • "Not moisturising"

A lovely bath bomb for when you want a bit of glitter

American Cream conditioner is one of my favourite Lush products, partly because of the amazing strawberry and vanilla scent. As Twinkle has the same scent, I had to get it! The scent is created from vanilla absolute, clary sage oil and a hint of lavender oil to relax and calm. The result is a lovely sweet scent.

Pale blue in colour, this small round bath bomb, which is suitable for vegans, is made with a base of sodium bicarbonate and citric acid. These help it to fizz away in the bath. It also contains iridescent glitter, rather like the kind that is found in the Shimmy Shimmy glitter bar. The product is 2.95, which puts it at the cheaper end of Lush bath products. It''s still somewhat pricey, but as an occasional treat it''s not so bad.

The product was originally created for Christmas, and it is hard to find a non-Christmas occasion for which glitter is appropriate. I managed to do so, though!
        When I use bath bombs, I run the bath first then throw in the bomb as I lie in the water so I can watch it fizz. I did it with this product and it fizzed away. Though the bath bomb was pale blue in colour, it didn''t really change the colour of the water. However, there was a lot of iridescent glitter, and it looked really pretty in the water and floating on the top.

The scent was lovely too and spread around the bathroom.

After my bath, I was absolutely covered in glitter! Do not buy this product if you don''t like glitter! Even if you do, be prepared for the fact that it gets EVERYWHERE. I didn''t mind, in fact I was quite happy with looking sparkly for a while! It''s the perfect item to use before a night out.
        The bath bomb didn''t moisturise my skin, and I didn''t expect it to as there are no moisturising ingredients contained within. However it didn''t dry my skin out either. There was a faint vanilla and strawberry smell on my skin afterwards, which was very pleasant, although for a night out I applied perfume as I prefer a stronger fragrance in such circumstances.

As the item contained glitter, I was slightly worried about getting glitter stuck all over the bath. However, although there was a lot of glitter left in the bath afterwards, I was able to rinse it away very easily with the shower head.

Twinkle is a lovely bath bomb for a special treat or to use before a night out. Don''t buy it if you don''t like glitter, but if you do, what are you waiting for?

• Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub / Lip Care / 18 Readings / 16 Ratings
        13.05.2014 14:32

Advantages

• Delicious-tasting
        • Long-lasting
        • Effective

Disadvantages

• "None in particular"

Lovely bubblegum lip scrub

I''m a huge fan of Lush, as I''ve probably mentioned several times before! One of the items I''ve tried recently is the Bubblegum Lip Scrub.

***What is Lush?***

Lush is a store that makes toiletries and cosmetics, using natural and organic ingredients where possible and minimising packaging where they can. It started out as a mail order company called Cosmetics to Go, but this failed and the new store, Lush, opened in Poole, Dorset. Later branches of the shop opened in London and beyond, and there are now Lush stores all over the world. As well as in store, you can also buy products from the website, www.lush.co.uk. There are similar websites for many different countries including the USA, Japan and Germany.

Lush buy ingredients only from companies that do not test on animals. All of their products are suitable for vegetarians and many are suitable for vegans.

***Lip Scrubs***

As well as making soaps and bath products, Lush make several products for the face including moisturisers and lip balms. A couple of years ago, they began to make lip scrubs too. Lip scrubs basically help remove the dead skin from your lips, helping keep them soft and smooth. Often, they contain moisturising ingredients. Castor sugar, a very fine sugar, makes an excellent natural lip scrub, and it is mixed with jojoba oil to condition and moisturise the lips. In all honesty I think you''d be able to make one at home, but I can''t really be bothered! The scrubs come in the clear glass jars with the black lids, the ones the skin tints come in. Each scrub costs #5.25. This is a tad pricey, but they do last absolutely ages!

***Bubblegum Lip Scrub***
        This particular lip scrub was one of the first scrubs to be introduced, and has remained ever since ? clearly it is popular! This is unsurprising seeing as it is basically Snow Fairy ? Lush''s hugely popular Christmas shower gel ? in lip scrub form. Lush describe it as the pink and girly lip scrub with the bubblegum flavour, and they''re right. It is very pink and smells amazing ? it tastes pretty good too! The scrub is suitable for vegans.

***Use***
        To use the scrub, you take a small amount on your finger and gently scrub your lips. Afterwards you are free to lick your lips ? all the ingredients are safe so it''s fine to eat! I find it one of the most effective scrubs: it removes dead skin effectively, leaving my lips soft and smooth, and it also moisturises gently without being greasy. Using a scrub before a lip balm is a great base for lipstick, which always looks better on smooth lips.

***Conclusion***
        I definitely recommend this lip scrub. It is one of the best scrubs that Lush make and is highly effective as well as tasting yummy. It is expensive, but it does last for ages. Recommended!

12.05.2014 14:24

Advantages

• " gentle face cream"
        • " very moisturising"
        • "Delicious - scented"

Disadvantages

• "A little heavy for me"

Cover your face in almond kisses

I made an order from the Lush Retro section recently, when the limited edition range of Retro products was added. One of these was the Almond Kisses Moisturiser.

Normally, Lush release bath and shower products as part of Retro, so I was pleased to find a facial moisturiser as part of the range. Almond Kisses is scented with the same scent as Potion Lotion, which is also the same smell as the Ruby Red Slippers bubble bar. I love this scent ? in fact, I''d go as far as to say it is one of my favourite ever Lush scents ? and I knew straight away that I would want to try this moisturiser.

Lush skincare is not cheap, but prices can vary widely depending on the ingredients used in a particular product. A 45g black pot of this product costs 22.50, so it''s at the higher end of the scale, but nowhere near as pricey as Gorgeous which is nearly 40. The black pot can contribute to the offer whereby if you take five of them back to a Lush store, you can get a free fresh face mask.
        Almond Kisses is suitable for vegans and is made with a base of almond oil and rose water. Almond oil is very luxurious and moisturising, and rose water calms and soothes the skin. Shea butter and cocoa butter are also included, to help moisturise the skin. The shea butter comes from a fair trade womens'' cooperative in Ghana, where the shea nuts are hand processed.

The product also contains rose absolute, carnation absolute and tangerine oil. The rose and carnation in particular are what gives this product the familiar scent of Potion, not forgetting the tangerine. It''s a luxurious, sophisticated floral scent and I''ve never smelled anything quite like it.

Inside the pot, the moisturiser is fairly thick, and off-white in colour. It smells amazing ? though I had expected nothing less. It has a smooth texture, and is easily applied to the skin. Despite the fairly strong scent, the product was very gentle and didn''t irritate my skin in the slightest.

The moisturiser sinks into my skin fairly well, but it is slightly greasy and leaves something of a shine. When using it at night, this isn''t a problem as I am going to sleep anyway. It is extremely moisturising and I wake up the next day with super-soft skin.

If I try to use it in the morning, however, it can make my face look a little shiny, and I feel it is too heavy to be used as a makeup base. In addition, if I use it twice a day, I find it can sometimes bring me out in spots as it can be too much.

This is a lovely moisturiser which smells delicious and is good for the skin. It is better for dry skin although all skin types could use it for an occasional or a night cream. Recommended.

17.03.2014 10:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

Amsterdam: a lovely place to visit

I have my friend Elisa to thank for persuading me back to Amsterdam. She'd never been; I had spent a few days there when I was a student, having travelled over on the ferry from North Shields. Perhaps I still wouldn't have gone back if it wasn't for the reopening of the Rijksmuseum - Amsterdam's national art museum that had just undergone a ten-year refurbishment.

Unlike last time, I was to travel by plane; I came up to Newcastle on the train the day before. Elisa picked me up at an unearthly hour the next morning; we drove to Newcastle Airport, parked the car in Car Park K ("K for Kardashian", Elisa said, so we'd remember) and began the tedious process of checking in, leaving our bags and navigating the maze that is the airport. I couldn't decide whether I was horrified or impressed at the number of hen parties already dressed in matching pink T-shirts and accessories.

Though we felt pretty tired, we did recognise the advantages of getting such an early flight. Even after we'd landed, got the train to the city centre, taken the tram to our hotel and then packed, we still had most of the day left. The first stop was the aforementioned Rijksmuseum - I'd said that I would only go to Amsterdam if we could go here!

I was impressed by the building: it was huge, and stunning. There was a bit of a queue to get in, but once inside, there was lots of space and a huge amount to see. The great attraction is Rembrandt's 'Night Watch' but there are lots of other paintings from the likes of Vermeer and Van Gogh. There is also a modern art section, which I found rather bizarre, particularly the 'womb tomb', a brightly-coloured, coffin shaped, fluffy object with a hole in the middle.

I got separated from Elisa and ended up wandering around the ground floor - which had the medieval art and the costumes - on my own. When I got back to the foyer she'd been sitting in the café with a glass of wine, having given up on the museum some time ago.

We still had plenty of time, so we decided to head to the Heineken Experience. Now, this was not somewhere I would have thought of going; I'm not the biggest fan of Heineken, and it would never have occurred to me to go here. Elisa wanted to, though, and I'm so glad she did, because I loved it! There was so much to see and do. The experience began with a short exhibition on the history of Heineken, followed by a look at the old brewing equipment and a look at the creation process. We got to taste some Heineken and then experience a kind of interactive presentation where you could 'be' the beer on its journey from creation to bottling!

The best bit, though, was when - slightly tipsy by now - we reached the interactive part of the experience. We got our photo taken on some Dutch bikes against a background of an Amsterdam street, and sang along to a music video showing us on a canal boat - which I promptly emailed to my mam!

We then had a free canal boat ride up to the Heineken Brand Store. Obviously this is all just a big ploy to get people to buy Heineken products, but it was fun nevertheless! We had a great day altogether, actually. It ended with drinks and Chinese food and frozen yoghurt covered in lots of amazing toppings.

The next day, we had planned to go to the Anne Frank museum. Elisa set the alarm on her phone, but unfortunately hadn't realised that it was still on UK time. So by the time we got up and went out, we were an hour later than we should have been.

Still, it was such a lovely morning that we took our time getting to the museum, having a slow walk along the canal with bagels. When we got to the museum there was a massive queue, as expected, but although we had to wait an hour, it didn't seem that long. The museum is small, but as moving as I remembered.

Later we visited the Sex Museum. Again, this was somewhere I had already been, although it was just as entertaining this time around. The flasher in the foyer was still there, and I recognised several of the exhibits. This museum also has one of the fanciest bathrooms I have ever seen - it is inspired by Mucha and the Art Nouveau movement and the sinks are shaped like flowers. Afterwards we went on a canal boat trip which was really relaxing. We went for a walk in the evening, had some tea, and then went back to the frozen yoghurt store - naturally.

We didn't have time to do anything the next day, as we had to go to the airport. I would definitely go back, though - even after two trips to Amsterdam, there's so much to see and do there, and it's such a lovely place, that I'd be happy to see it again.

*This is a version of a piece I posted on my blog*

12.03.2014 10:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lovely shampoo

I bought this shampoo as part of a special deal in a beauty box just before Christmas. As I go home to my parents' house quite a bit, I keep toiletries there to save me carrying lots home on the train. I used this over the Christmas period and have used it on other occasions when I've been at home.

The 300ml bottle costs £13.95; as I got the whole beauty box for around £20 I was impressed, but I'm not sure if I'd want to spend that much on a shampoo by itself. The Joico K-Pak Shampoo comes in a bronze bottle which narrows towards the top. It is described as a reconstructing shampoo that helps to repair damaged hair, hydrating and protecting while restoring strength and condition. It cleanses gently and helps protect colour. The shampoo contains aloe and Vitamin E to condition and protect hair.

I thought the shampoo smelled lovely, with a fresh, if slightly chemical, aroma. A normal amount was needed per use, and was used just like any other shampoo, being applied to wet hair, rubbed to work it into a lather and then rinsed out. I have dry hair, so I always used conditioner after using the shampoo.

This shampoo didn't irritate my scalp at all, and scented my hair faintly after use. It made my hair soft, shiny and healthy-looking: I was definitely impressed. It appeared smoother and looked in much better condition than usual.

Over several days of use, my hair did seem to be more healthy and in better condition generally, although this is hard to judge. It seemed to be easier to style and certainly behaved better.

Despite the high price of this shampoo, I was impressed with it and would consider repurchasing. It did a really good job, and seemed to strengthen and improve the condition of my hair deep down as well as on the surface. Recommended.

10.03.2014 12:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great product

Though I have tons of lip balms at home, I have annoying habit of forgetting to take them with me when I go out. On one such occasion, I popped into Boots and picked up a tube of this Blistex Raspberry Lemonade Blast lip balm. I chose this one from the balms available as the flavour appealed to me!

This lip balm is widely available at the usual places which sell lip balm, including Boots and Superdrug. It is priced at between £1 and £2 which is normal for products of this type. The balm, which comes in stick form, has red and blue packaging which is striking and eye-catching. The balm itself is clear, with no tint.

Containing SPF15, the balm contains jojoba oil as well as vitamins C and E to moisturise and care for lips. It smells amazing - definitely an authentic raspberry lemonade smell!

The lip balm applied easily and wasn't sticky or greasy. It tasted great, and I had to be careful not to continually lick my lips! It didn't look obvious on my lips, and didn't add a gloss or a shine - great as a base for lipstick. It lasted a good couple of hours, and I didn't need to apply it too often.

I definitely recommend this lip balm - it does a good job and it has a lovely unique scent.