AbsintheFairy

• Comments

Member since: 14.05.2009

17.03.2014 10:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

Amsterdam: a lovely place to visit

I have my friend Elisa to thank for persuading me back to Amsterdam. She'd never been; I had spent a few days there when I was a student, having travelled over on the ferry from North Shields. Perhaps I still wouldn't have gone back if it wasn't for the reopening of the Rijksmuseum - Amsterdam's national art museum that had just undergone a ten-year refurbishment. Unlike last time, I was to travel by plane; I came up to Newcastle on the train the day before. Elisa picked me up at an unearthly hour the next morning; we drove to Newcastle Airport, parked the car in Car Park K ("K for Kardashian", Elisa said, so we'd remember) and began the tedious process of checking in, leaving our bags and navigating the maze that is the airport. I couldn't decide whether I was horrified or impressed at the number of hen parties already dressed in matching pink T-shirts and accessories. Though we felt pretty tired, we did recognise the advantages of getting such an early flight. Even after we'd landed, got the train to the city centre, taken the tram to our hotel and then packed, we still had most of the day left. The first stop was the aforementioned Rijksmuseum - I'd said that I would only go to Amsterdam if we could go here! I was impressed by the building: it was huge, and stunning. There was a bit of a queue to get in, but once inside, there was lots of space and a huge amount to see. The great attraction is Rembrandt's 'Night Watch' but there are lots of other paintings from the likes of Vermeer and Van Gogh. There is also a modern art section, which I found rather bizarre, particularly the 'womb tomb', a brightly-coloured, coffin shaped, fluffy object with a hole in the middle. I got separated from Elisa and ended up wandering around the ground floor - which had the medieval art and the costumes - on my own. When I got back to the foyer she'd been sitting in the café with a glass of wine, having given up on the museum some time ago. We still had plenty of time, so we decided to head to the Heineken Experience. Now, this was not somewhere I would have thought of going; I'm not the biggest fan of Heineken, and it would never have occurred to me to go here. Elisa wanted to, though, and I'm so glad she did, because I loved it! There was so much to see and do. The experience began with a short exhibition on the history of Heineken, followed by a look at the old brewing equipment and a look at the creation process. We got to taste some Heineken and then experience a kind of interactive presentation where you could 'be' the beer on its journey from creation to bottling! The best bit, though, was when - slightly tipsy by now - we reached the interactive part of the experience. We got our photo taken on some Dutch bikes against a background of an Amsterdam street, and sang along to a music video showing us on a canal boat - which I promptly emailed to my mam! We then had a free canal boat ride up to the Heineken Brand Store. Obviously this is all just a big ploy to get people to buy Heineken products, but it was fun nevertheless! We had a great day altogether, actually. It ended with drinks and Chinese food and frozen yoghurt covered in lots of amazing toppings. The next day, we had planned to go to the Anne Frank museum. Elisa set the alarm on her phone, but unfortunately hadn't realised that it was still on UK time. So by the time we got up and went out, we were an hour later than we should have been. Still, it was such a lovely morning that we took our time getting to the museum, having a slow walk along the canal with bagels. When we got to the museum there was a massive queue, as expected, but although we had to wait an hour, it didn't seem that long. The museum is small, but as moving as I remembered. Later we visited the Sex Museum. Again, this was somewhere I had already been, although it was just as entertaining this time around. The flasher in the foyer was still there, and I recognised several of the exhibits. This museum also has one of the fanciest bathrooms I have ever seen - it is inspired by Mucha and the Art Nouveau movement and the sinks are shaped like flowers. Afterwards we went on a canal boat trip which was really relaxing. We went for a walk in the evening, had some tea, and then went back to the frozen yoghurt store - naturally. We didn't have time to do anything the next day, as we had to go to the airport. I would definitely go back, though - even after two trips to Amsterdam, there's so much to see and do there, and it's such a lovely place, that I'd be happy to see it again. *This is a version of a piece I posted on my blog*

12.03.2014 10:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lovely shampoo

I bought this shampoo as part of a special deal in a beauty box just before Christmas. As I go home to my parents' house quite a bit, I keep toiletries there to save me carrying lots home on the train. I used this over the Christmas period and have used it on other occasions when I've been at home. The 300ml bottle costs £13.95; as I got the whole beauty box for around £20 I was impressed, but I'm not sure if I'd want to spend that much on a shampoo by itself. The Joico K-Pak Shampoo comes in a bronze bottle which narrows towards the top. It is described as a reconstructing shampoo that helps to repair damaged hair, hydrating and protecting while restoring strength and condition. It cleanses gently and helps protect colour. The shampoo contains aloe and Vitamin E to condition and protect hair. I thought the shampoo smelled lovely, with a fresh, if slightly chemical, aroma. A normal amount was needed per use, and was used just like any other shampoo, being applied to wet hair, rubbed to work it into a lather and then rinsed out. I have dry hair, so I always used conditioner after using the shampoo. This shampoo didn't irritate my scalp at all, and scented my hair faintly after use. It made my hair soft, shiny and healthy-looking: I was definitely impressed. It appeared smoother and looked in much better condition than usual. Over several days of use, my hair did seem to be more healthy and in better condition generally, although this is hard to judge. It seemed to be easier to style and certainly behaved better. Despite the high price of this shampoo, I was impressed with it and would consider repurchasing. It did a really good job, and seemed to strengthen and improve the condition of my hair deep down as well as on the surface. Recommended.

10.03.2014 12:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great product

Though I have tons of lip balms at home, I have annoying habit of forgetting to take them with me when I go out. On one such occasion, I popped into Boots and picked up a tube of this Blistex Raspberry Lemonade Blast lip balm. I chose this one from the balms available as the flavour appealed to me! This lip balm is widely available at the usual places which sell lip balm, including Boots and Superdrug. It is priced at between £1 and £2 which is normal for products of this type. The balm, which comes in stick form, has red and blue packaging which is striking and eye-catching. The balm itself is clear, with no tint. Containing SPF15, the balm contains jojoba oil as well as vitamins C and E to moisturise and care for lips. It smells amazing - definitely an authentic raspberry lemonade smell! The lip balm applied easily and wasn't sticky or greasy. It tasted great, and I had to be careful not to continually lick my lips! It didn't look obvious on my lips, and didn't add a gloss or a shine - great as a base for lipstick. It lasted a good couple of hours, and I didn't need to apply it too often. I definitely recommend this lip balm - it does a good job and it has a lovely unique scent.

07.03.2014 12:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Gentle eye makeup remover

I subscribed to a beauty box for a while and got to try some products I'd never come across before. One of these was the Bioderma Sensibio H20 makeup remover. The product is a micellar water. I'd never heard of such a thing before, but it appears that Bioderma has pioneered them. They are water-like solutions that are meant to be highly effective at cleansing and removing makeup, including stuff that is water resistant. The Sensibio product is designed for normal to dry and sensitive skins. If I could have chosen I would have probably gone for the normal-to-oily version, but I got the sample in my beauty box. The product comes in a clear bottle so it's easy to see how much you have left. It looks pretty much like water, being clear and very thin. To use, I soak a cotton wool pad in solution, hold it to my eye for a few seconds, and wipe away. I do find the product to be pretty good at removing eye makeup. It works well on all kinds of eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara (though I don't use waterproof mascara so can't comment on that). I do have to wipe a few times, and if I am wearing heavy makeup I sometimes have to use two cotton wool pads soaked in solution. The product is very gentle. It doesn't irritate or dry my skin whatsoever and it doesn't leave any kind of film: it's non-oily even though it's designed for dry skin. The product is priced at £4.50 for 100ml, £9.99 for 250ml and £14.80 for 500ml. These prices are pretty reasonable especially as the product works really well. I would consider buying this product again. I don't find it as effective as the double-layer, shake-before-using makeup remover that Johnsons and Nivea make (among others), but it is a good product and doesn't leave any oily residue. Recommended.

03.03.2014 11:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Superb product

I really like The Body Shop, especially as there are always discounts and voucher codes. When there's a good one, I stock up. I also love the way that they produce whole ranges of a particular scent. Recently I've been using a whole range of products called Sweet Lemon. I'm not usually a fan of citrus, but the lemon here is more like sweet lemon tart than straight citrusy lemon. The range is packaged in cheery yellow and looks very appealing. The body butter comes in the traditional Body Shop packaging, a round screw-top tub which is pale yellow. The packaging design means that it is easy to get every scrap of product out of the tub, and be careful about how much you use. The product is pale yellow in colour, very thick, and designed for normal to dry skin. The body butter has a very pleasant sweet lemon scent. It contains Community Fair Trade shea butter which is a very effective moisturiser. The product is a bit heavy for daily use, but I like to use it in the evening after my bath to give my skin a luxurious treat. I suffer from dry skin so this body butter really is great. It melts into my skin and leaves it soft and smooth right up until the next day. I can also smell the lovely lemony scent on my skin. I definitely recommend this Sweet Lemon body butter - it's a great addition to the range.

27.02.2014 10:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good addition to the Vaseline range

I suffer from dry lips, so I always have a lip balm or three handy to ensure I can always moisturise my lips. One of my favourites is Vaseline - I have tried several of their pocket-size tins and really like them. In recent years the company have been releasing limited edition versions of Vaseline, usually around Christmas time. One of these was the Vaseline Pink Bubbly, inspired by rose prosecco and champagne. I love the packaging of the tin - it looks very sophisticated with its black and pink colouring and little crown design. Even the font used is quite posh - the packaging was obviously inspired by champagne too! The tin is as compact and easy to carry as any other Vaseline tin. Inside, the Vaseline is a very pale pink colour. It smells very sweet with a bit of a tang - it's not the 'warm' sweetness of the crème brulee themed tin of the previous year. I did like it, however. On application, the Vaseline doesn't have much of a taste, just a general sweetness. It is just as effective as other Vaseline, keeping lips moisturised for several hours. The product adds a bit of a gloss to the lips but doesn't add colour, as it is very pale pink. Because of the scent, it isn't really appropriate for some of the other uses of Vaseline such as moisturising elbows or smoothing eyebrows (although you could use it for this if you wanted to I suppose). However, it does a good job as a lip balm so this doesn't really matter. The balm is extremely long-lasting. I've used it several times a day for months and I still have some left! On release it cost £3.49, which is expensive for Vaseline, but still better than some of the other lip balms out there (and it DOES last for ages). I definitely recommend this product, if you can get hold of it. I don't think it's as nice as the Crème Brulee flavour, but it is nice to use and effective.

25.02.2014 13:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great hand cream

I like the brand Vaseline, which is one of those brands that is reliable and always around - you tend to take it for granted, but every now and then you are reminded that it is actually genuinely good. I have a couple of tubes of this Vaseline Healthy Hands & Stronger Nails Hand Cream, which I came across in gift sets, and have been enjoying using them. My tubes are 75ml - this is the best size for popping in your handbag, but the cream also comes in a 200ml tube, and according to the Boots website is even cheaper - £3.27 as opposed to £3.75. Therefore if you don't specifically need a small tube, I'd strongly recommend going for the big one! The cream comes in a simple but attractive pale pink tube with a darker pink flip-top lid - I prefer this type of lid as they are so much easier to use. Vaseline has been around since 1870, so it has a long history. However, it claims to make use of the latest science to help care for the skin. This cream contains keratin and stratys to provide multi-layer moisture for the skin. It makes a number of claims which I will discuss below. Softens hands - this product certainly does that. It isn't the most moisturising hand cream I've ever used - when I want an intensive treatment, or when my hands are exceptionally dry, I need to use something else - but for an everyday hand cream it is superb. Fast-absorbing and non-greasy - this claim is largely true. Few hand creams are completely and utterly non-greasy, but this one is better than many I've tried, and it is certainly fast-absorbing. Strengthens nails by 50% - I can't test this claim with immense accuracy, but I can say that my cuticles and nails seem stronger and are certainly less dry and painful after using this cream a few times. It does seem to keep my nails in excellent condition - I can't think of any other cream that does this. The cream has a faint but pleasant smell - slightly floral, but not at all overpowering. To conclude, I highly recommend this hand cream - it does a great job, especially on the nails.

• Lush Sea Spray / Hair Styler / 50 Readings / 49 Ratings
          22.02.2014 15:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

Haircare product from Lush

As I've mentioned (frequently!) in previous reviews, I'm a huge fan of the store Lush and I enjoy sampling all of their different products. Recently, they released a number of different hair products, which I have been working my way through. One of these is the Sea Spray Hair Mist. This normally retails for £9.95 (for a 100g bottle), but I managed to pick one up on eBay for less. The product is designed as a 'sea mist' for the hair that "leaves you fresh, uplifted and perfumed". It is a salty spritz that is supposed to give body and hold. At first I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a gel or a spray. Lush state that you should spray it on to hair to fix your style in place, or else use it to refresh the hair throughout the day. However, they also say that it contains a light hair gel. The product is suitable for vegans and is made with sea water, fine sea salt and carrageenan extract to be just like the sea. It also contains neroli, grapefruit and rosewood oils to add to the scent. I did love the smell of this - I found it really refreshing and it reminded me of summer. I think the scent is unisex too. At first I tried to use the product as a hairspray. This didn't work out to well. The mist wasn't fine enough, it felt tangible and just landed on my hair leaving it looking slightly greasy. The smell was lovely, and my hair felt refreshed - it just didn't look it! Later, I tried a different method. I sprayed the product once or twice into the palm of my hand, rubbed my hands together and then ran my hands through my hair. This seemed to work better - it was rather like applying a gentle hair gel, leaving my hair conditioned and its style maintained without looking really obvious. So would I recommend this product? Yes and no. Not if you want a hairspray - it simply doesn't work. However, if you want a light, vegan, pleasant-smelling hair gel, this is ideal.

20.02.2014 10:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

Lovely bath melt

My favourite store, Lush, released several limited edition items in time for Christmas. Included among them were several bath products. One particularly exciting item was the Star Light, Star Bright bath melt. Bath melts are luxury bathing products designed to soften your skin in the bath. This one contains cocoa butter, organic shea butter and extra virgin coconut oil, all of which are fantastic at making skin soft. In appearance, the melt is very pretty indeed, being a silver shimmery star covered in silver lustre. To use the product, I ran the bath then dropped the melt into it before getting in. The melt dissolved very slowly, leaving a shimmering silver trail in the water. The lustre only covers the surface of the melt, which can be disappointing if you want to be covered with shimmer, but on the other hand it means you don't have to scrub your bath afterwards! The star was, surprisingly, blue on the inside, turning the water a lovely shade of pale blue, with a subtle sparkle and shimmer on the surface of the water. The bath melt had a lovely smell, refreshing and zesty with a spicy twist. It contains Chinese ginger oil, lavender oil and Persian lime oil to create a unique and refreshing scent. I really enjoyed my shimmery bath with the lovely smell. The melt is suitable for vegans and costs £3.30. This is pricey but it's a price I'm willing to pay for an occasional treat. It's enjoyable to use, fun and even moisturises the skin. Definitely recommended!

18.02.2014 11:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

Awesome powder, highly recommended

A while ago, my favourite store, Lush, most famous for its bathtime, skincare and haircare products, released a number of makeup items. Called Emotional Brilliance, the idea was that you would spin a wheel, choose three colours and wear them to reflect the emotions you wanted to project. These colours included lipsticks, eyeshadows and eyeliners. Lush also made a selection of face makeup items to go with the colours, which were also given names of positive emotions and qualities. These came in the same little glass pots as the lip scrubs and colour supplements, and each cost £12 for 20g (8g in the case of the powder, which is very light), although I managed to pick them up for half price in the post-Christmas sale. They were as follows: Charisma - a blend of golden colours to give you a warm glow Feeling Younger - a shimmering highlighter Emotional Brilliance - a translucent powder All three were suitable for vegans. Today I am going to review the Emotional Brilliance face powder. I am super pale, so I have trouble finding a face powder light enough for me. Luckily, this powder is translucent so blends perfectly with my skin tone: I think it would suit most white skins but I am not sure about olive, Asian or black skins - it would probably be too light. I have combination skin so I always need to use powder on my forehead, chin and nose to reduce shine, and often on my cheeks too, although some areas of my face can get slightly dry. You can see why I find it difficult to get hold of a good face powder! I use this powder after moisturising and applying a tint or foundation. I have a powder brush which I dip into the pot lightly before dabbing the powder onto my face. I find that it blends really easily and does not leave any dry patches whatsoever, unlike some other powders I have used in the past. It does not cake and in fact, the finish is perfect - I am very impressed. The effect lasts around half a day which I have found to be normal for this type of product. The biggest problem I have with the powder is that it can be messy. For this reason, I normally use pressed powder rather than loose, even though I find loose offers a better finish. No matter how hard I try, I cannot avoid getting powder on my floor! It doesn't help that the jar is so small. On the plus side, I only need to use a very small amount at once, so the jar will last me for ages. The powder is made with a talc base and also includes mica for an even finish. Jojoba oil helps to prevent dryness and iron oxides are also included (why, I don't know). Overall, I love this powder, it works absolutely brilliantly and makes my skin look near-flawless. I have deducted a star because it does make a bit of a mess, but I do recommend it.

12.02.2014 10:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Lovely highlighter from Lush

A while ago, my favourite store, Lush, most famous for its bathtime, skincare and haircare products, released a number of makeup items. Called Emotional Brilliance, the idea was that you would spin a wheel, choose three colours and wear them to reflect the emotions you wanted to project. These colours included lipsticks, eyeshadows and eyeliners. Lush also made a selection of face makeup items to go with the colours, which were also given names of positive emotions and qualities. These came in the same little glass pots as the lip scrubs and colour supplements, and each cost £12 for 20g (8g in the case of the powder, which is very light), although I managed to pick them up for half price in the post-Christmas sale. They were as follows: Charisma - a blend of golden colours to give you a warm glow Feeling Younger - a shimmering highlighter Emotional Brilliance - a translucent powder All three were suitable for vegans. Today I am going to review the Feeling Younger Skin Tint. I am super pale, so I really like using highlighters to make my skin glow. I loved the shade of this, as it seemed like a shimmering off-white with a faint hint of pink. I don't think it would really suit someone with darker skin, but for pale skin like mine it is perfect. You can mix this tint with a moisturiser or foundation, which is what I decided to do at first. I thought I would be able to achieve a subtle effect this way. I found that the tint blended well with any moisturiser or foundation I used it with, and sank into my skin well. It wasn't at all streaky and didn't cause any irritation. It made my skin look extremely healthy and faintly glowing - a perfect hangover cover-up! I also decided to try using the tint on my cheeks, like a Benefit highlighter. I dabbed a tiny amount onto my cheeks and blended in. I was impressed with how well it worked: it gave my skin a light shimmer, and made me look more healthy. The tint can also be used on the brow bone, the eyelid and the décolletage, so it is very versatile. So how is Feeling Younger created? It is made with oatmeal decoction, orange flower water, almond oil and cocoa butter - a gentle combination of ingredients which help to look after the skin. Also included are jojoba oil and glycerine. It does contain a couple of parabens for preservation purposes. Overall, I am impressed with this product. It is versatile, gentle and long-lasting. Though it is expensive, only a tiny amount is needed at any one time, so it lasts ages too. It is suitable for a number of different skin types, and I strongly recommend it.

10.02.2014 10:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

Handy tweezers

After using, and loving, my Tweezerman for Benefit tweezers, I decided to invest in some mini tweezers from the same brand to keep in my bag and take away on holiday or when I go home for the weekend. These are slightly cheaper, at £12 compared to the price of almost £20 for the full size tweezers. Tweezerman mini tweezers are available from several stores including Boots, Debenhams, House of Fraser, ASOS and Amazon.co.uk. There are a number of different designs including pastel colours, paw prints, polka dots and even glittery ones. Mine are white with a pretty red ladybird design, but I'm not sure if this design is still available. Tweezerman tweezers are high quality, with stainless steel tips that have been hand-filed and perfectly aligned. This pair has a glossy coating all over (except for the tips) which makes up the design. They arrived in a clear plastic cylindrical case, in which I keep them in my makeup bag to protect them. When they arrived they also had a protective plastic tip, but I appear to have lost this! These mini tweezers are just as effective as my normal tweezers. They grip every hair perfectly and can even pull out small hairs that lesser tweezers can't get hold of. The small size isn't a disadvantage at all, in fact it helps as it means I can grip closer to get a more secure hold on the hair. I've found that cheaper tweezers tend to go rusty after a while, but these haven't done so at all - possibly because of the stainless steel and the glossy coating. When I was at home I asked my mam to pluck my eyebrows for me with these tweezers (she shapes them really well!). She commented on how good they were, and I ended up getting her some for a Christmas present - a glittery pink set of mini slanted tweezers like mine and some pointed ones. I completely recommend these tweezers and I'm so glad I purchased them. Yes, they are pricey, but they are worth it - they are the best tweezers I have ever used. The quality hasn't declined at all, even though I carry them about with me, so I hope they will last me for many more years.

07.02.2014 12:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Lovely shower gel

I really like The Body Shop, especially as there are always discounts and voucher codes. When there's a good one, I stock up. I also love the way that they produce whole ranges of a particular scent. Recently I've been using a whole range of products called Sweet Lemon. I'm not usually a fan of citrus, but the lemon here is more like sweet lemon tart than straight citrusy lemon. The range is packaged in cheery yellow and looks very appealing. The shower gel comes in a clear plastic bottle so it's easy to see how much you have left. It has a flip top for ease of use and is a pleasant yellow colour, summery and cheering. The shower gel is soap-free and contains real lemon seed oil. I find that the product has a lovely sweet lemon scent. I only need to use a small amount at a time, as it lathers up really easily. It cleanses well and rinses off with no problems. It doesn't irritate my skin at all. The scent doesn't really last on my skin after use, but I don't mind as I then layer up with the matching body lotion. I feel it is more of a product for the summer, because of the refreshing citrus scent, but I've been using it very recently in order to finish it off, and I find that the lemon aroma helps to wake me up on the cold dark mornings. This shower gel is expensive at full price but cheap on offer - and it's on offer frequently. I definitely recommend it, especially as part of the Sweet Lemon range.

• Lush Blousey Shampoo / Hair Care / 43 Readings / 42 Ratings
                  05.02.2014 11:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

Expensive shampoo

A while ago, my favourite store, Lush, released several new haircare products. I have dry, coloured hair so I was pleased to see that there was a new shampoo designed to be suitable for hair like mine. Even more pleased to note that it had a rhyme on the tub quoting the Spice Girls! "Colours of the world! Spice up your life! Yellow hair and purple too Colour for both me and you Bottle blonde or afro queen Natural to damaged and all that's in between" This banana-scented shampoo is pricey at £18, and comes in a 240g tube. It is described as a "rich moisturising wash that lets true colours shine through". I loved the smell, which was fresh and appealing. It is suitable for vegans, and uniquely for Lush is preservative-free. Fresh banana and cocoa butter add moisture, and help wash the hair without damaging, drying or stripping the colour from it. Cloves, star anise and pimento berry oil help to add shine. The shampoo is fairly thick, but thanks to the tub design, it's possible to get every last scrap out of the packaging. It's brown in colour, with a few little seeds in. The shampoo is used like any other. Wet your hair, scoop out a small amount (about the size of a 50p piece) and rub it into your hair before rinsing off. I tried it without conditioner once for reviewing purposes, but in general I prefer to use conditioner because of my dry hair. I found that the shampoo washed my hair very well, and didn't dry it out or make it look greasy. The lovely banana scent lasted on my hair when I didn't use conditioner - when I DID use it the smell of the conditioner sadly overpowered that of the shampoo. The shampoo lasted for ages as I only needed to use a small amount, and made my hair look shiny and healthy. It was very gentle and didn't irritate my scalp at all. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to the claim of not stripping hair colour. I dye my hair dark brown, and I noticed that much more was coming out than usual, even when I use other Lush shampoos that are not designed for coloured hair. By the time I finished my tub of Blousey I was certain that my colour had faded much more than usual, and that this was down to this shampoo. For this reason, I wouldn't buy this again, and I wouldn't recommend it for those who dye their hair. If your hair colour is natural then Blousey is a lovely shampoo to use with many plus points, but to be honest it's no better than many cheaper shampoos.

• Lush Charisma Skin Tint / Make Up / 45 Readings / 44 Ratings
                  04.02.2014 10:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bronzing skin tint from Lush

A while ago, my favourite store, Lush, most famous for its bathtime, skincare and haircare products, released a number of makeup items. Called Emotional Brilliance, the idea was that you would spin a wheel, choose three colours and wear them to reflect the emotions you wanted to project. These colours included lipsticks, eyeshadows and eyeliners. Lush also made a selection of face makeup items to go with the colours, which were also given names of positive emotions and qualities. These came in the same little glass pots as the lip scrubs and colour supplements, and each cost £12 for 20g (8g in the case of the powder, which is very light), although I managed to pick them up for half price in the post-Christmas sale. They were as follows: Charisma - a blend of golden colours to give you a warm glow Feeling Younger - a shimmering highlighter Emotional Brilliance - a translucent powder All three were suitable for vegans. Today I am going to review the Charisma Skin Tint. I am super pale - to the extent that the lightest shade of foundation in most ranges is too dark for me. Therefore, I tend to shy away from bronzing tints of this kind, as they tend to make my skin look dirty. Lush state that Charisma is ideal for adding a glow to tanned skins - especially in the summer - or for giving a bronzed effect to paler skins. I decided to give it a go. You can mix this tint with a moisturiser or foundation, which is what I decided to do. I thought I would be able to achieve a much more subtle effect this way. I found that the tint blended well with any moisturiser or foundation I used it with, and sank into my skin well. It wasn't at all streaky and didn't cause any irritation. I found that the tint made my skin look healthier and gave it a slight glow. It was very subtle, which I liked - although if you prefer a stronger bronzed glow you can easily apply more. I also decided to try using the tint on my cheeks, like a blusher. I dabbed a tiny amount onto my cheeks and blended in. I was impressed with how well it worked: it was like a blusher, and did make me look more healthy. So how do Lush create charisma? It is made with oatmeal decoction, orange flower water, almond oil and cocoa butter - a gentle combination of ingredients which help to look after the skin. Also included are jojoba oil and glycerine. It does contain a couple of parabens for preservation purposes. Overall, I am impressed with this product. It is versatile, gentle and long-lasting. Though it is expensive, only a tiny amount is needed at any one time, so it lasts ages too. It is suitable for a number of different skin types, and I strongly recommend it.