AbsintheFairy

• 2080
  • Comments

Member since: 14.05.2009

22.12.2014 22:15

Advantages

• "Matches my skintone"
      • "No irritation"
      • "Doesn't cake"
      • "Good coverage"

Disadvantages

• "Need to reapply throughout the day"

A good quality powder that fits my face

I am super pale and find it very difficult to find base makeup products to suit my skintone. I was pleased when I was looking at the Maybelline makeup range in my local Boots and saw that their new Fit Me powder would probably suit. This is available in several shades; mine is 120: Classic Ivory, which is perfect for my skin.

Maybelline introduced the Fit Me range as a range of base products to perfectly fit your skin tone. It consists of 3 steps:

Step 1: Fit Me Foundation unifies the skintone.
      Step 2: Fit Me Concealer corrects the appearance of imperfections.
      Step 3: Fit Me Powder mattifies and sets for a natural, non-cakey looking finish.

So far I’ve only used the foundation and the powder, because despite the claims of suiting every skin tone, even the lightest concealer is far too dark for me. The foundation I have is ever so slightly too dark, though it is still wearable if I blend carefully; only the powder is a perfect match.

The powder compact is square and black, with a clear plastic window allowing you to see the colour of the powder. Inside, the powder is in a round pan, and you can lift it up to find a mirror and a powder puff. In one respect, this is very handy: everything you need to apply your powder in one handy portable compact. However, I do wish the mirror had been on the lid; as it is, I have to keep flipping it up and down, to get powder on the powder puff and then look in the mirror as I apply it!

The compact only costs £5.99, which I think is a bargain. It is reasonably sturdy and has survived a few months of being tossed around in my bag. Maybelline state that the powder is designed to give natural, flawless coverage.

I really like this powder; it does give good coverage, and doesn’t cake so long as I am careful during application. It matches my skintone and doesn’t cause irritation. I have to reapply it a couple of times during the day, but this is normal for face powders, I find.

Overall this is a really good product. It isn’t my favourite face powder – I still love L’Oreal’s True Match powder – but it is a high quality – and cheaper – alternative.

19.12.2014 10:26

Advantages

• " effective"
      • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• "Scent will not appeal to everyone"

Fly away with this lovely scent

As you will know if you read my reviews regularly, I love Lush and am always trying to sample their products. Recently I used up a bottle of one of their most popular products, the Flying Fox Shower Gel.

This is a nourishing, rebalancing shower gel that is an attractive orange colour. It contains angelica, burdock root and jasmine flower water, as well as jasmine absolute, ylang ylang oil and cypress oil. It also contains honey – this means that it is not suitable for vegans, although like all Lush products it is suitable for vegetarians. Honey is antiseptic and antibacterial; it soothes the skin and helps it retain moisture.

I love the smell of this shower gel, although it is fairly strong and won’t appeal to everyone. It is a distinctive, seductive scent of jasmine, with hits of honey and other aspects. It is meant to be uplifting, and I do find that if I am a bit grumpy when I wake up, using this shower gel makes me feel a bit better. It is good for my skin too, and doesn’t dry it out. The scent lasts on my skin for a couple of hours.

The shower gel is quite pricey: £4.95 for 100g, £9.95 for 250g and £16.95 for 500g. However it really is lovely and I like to keep a small bottle handy, not for every day but to use when I want to boost my mood. Definitely recommended.

If you like the Flying Fox scent, there is also a Temple Balm with the same scent although I think this may only be available in spa stores. There is also a soap, Lust, and a fragrance, also Lust, which have similarly strong jasmine scents.

• Lush Marathon / Bath & Shower / 11 Readings / 10 Ratings
      16.12.2014 16:23

Advantages

• " lots of bubbles"
      • Soothing

Disadvantages

A lovely relaxing bubble bar

I made an order from the Lush Retro section recently, when the limited edition range of Retro products was added. One of these was the Marathon bubble bar.

***The Bubble Bar***
      The Marathon bubble bar was invented by Lush staff member Helen, who runs marathons herself and designed this to be a good product to use afterwards. It contains mustard seed oil, olive oil, myrrh, benzoin and olibanum, a selection of ingredients to comfort and soothe muscles after exercise. It is spicy and warming, and it is recommended that you use it with the Wiccy Magic Muscles massage bar – I didn’t, but that gives you a good idea of the scent of this bubble bar.

In appearance, the Marathon bubble bar is a simple square shape with rounded corners, like many of Lush’s retro bathing products. It’s a burnt orange colour, which fits in well with the concept and scent, I think. To make it a little more interesting, each bar has a different country’s flag poking out of the top!

The bar is suitable for vegans but it’s worth noting that it contains sodium laureth sulfate: this has been known to cause skin irritation in some people so you might want to be careful if you have sensitive skin, although it is a popular ingredient in shampoo, shower gel and bubble bath (it creates the foam) and most people are fine with it.

The bar costs £3.25, which is reasonable for a Lush bubble bar, especially as it can be used two or three times. I bought two of these bars and broke one into two, and the other into three, pieces. To use, you set the bath running and crumble a piece of bar into the running water. By the time you turn off the tap and settle into the bar, there will be tons of bubbles. This bar also turned the water a lovely orange colour.

In the bath, I felt really relaxed and soothed. I hadn’t been running a marathon, but I had had a busy day, so I was glad to get into the spicy, warming water. My muscles felt soothed and comforted and the lovely scent wafted around the bath.

I found that the bar didn’t irritate my skin at all, and made my skin feel quite soft. I still needed to apply some body lotion, though. The scent lasted, albeit fainter, on my skin, too.

***Conclusion***
      I definitely recommend this bubble bar, particularly if you have been doing exercise before using it! It has a lovely warming scent and provides a luxurious, comfortable bath.

12.12.2014 10:15

Advantages

• "Good range of shades"
      • "Widely available"
      • "Excellent price"
      • "Decent coverage"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly too dark"
      • "I've used better foundations"

A good, well-priced foundation

A while ago I sent off for a free sample of the then new Maybelline foundation, Fit Me. I soon received a tube of the stuff in Shade 115, Ivory. Though it’s a small tube, I only use a tiny amount per application so it’s lasted me absolutely ages. I tend to take it away with me on holidays and weekends away, as it is easier to transport than a large bottle of foundation.

Step 1: Fit Me Foundation unifies the skintone.
      Step 2: Fit Me Concealer corrects the appearance of imperfections.

The Fit Me packaging is square and black. The foundation comes in a tall square-edged bottle, clear so you can see exactly how much product you have left, with a black lid. It costs £7.99 which I feel is a really good price.

Maybelline state that this foundation contains no oils and no waxes. It is designed to provide natural coverage that makes your skin look fresh, a lightweight foundation with a translucent base.

I apply the foundation with either my fingers or a foundation sponge. Either seems to work and the foundation, which is a runny liquid (though not so runny that it drips easily), blends in easily enough. It doesn’t irritate my skin at all, and is easy to remove at the end of the day.

The coverage is light to medium, which is fine most of the time, unless I am having a particularly bad skin day! It helps to keep my shine under control, and I don’t have to apply as much powder, and as frequently, as usual. However I don’t think it’s quite as effective as my usual L’Oreal foundation for this.

Overall this is a decent foundation which I do recommend There are better foundations out there, but few as bargainously priced as this one.

• 17 Doll'd Up Mascara / Make Up / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
      10.12.2014 13:05

Advantages

• Effective
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Nothing

Love this mascara

As I have dyed brown hair but naturally pale eyelashes, I have to use mascara every day or else I look very odd indeed! I’ve tried lots of different mascaras, from budget brands to high end varieties, with mixed success. The latest mascara I’ve tried is the relatively new Doll’d Up Mascara from the Boots Seventeen range.

I suspect that the range is aimed at teenagers rather than older women, but a mascara is a mascara, right? This one costs £6.29 (and it’s often on offer) and comes in two shades, Brown/Black and Blackest Black. I have it in Blackest Black.

The tube is attractive and curved; it’s black and red with the name of the product on the side. I really like the design – it’s eye-catching and stylish. It has a thin curved brush designed to give you “doll-like” lashes.

The mascara is easy to apply and dries quickly with no problems with smudging. I usually go for one coat for everyday and two for evening. The style of the brush makes it very easy to get product on even the end lashes. The look I end up with is slim, defined, curled and long lashes. For extra volume it’s best to apply two coats.

The mascara makes several claims:

24 hour curl and volume benefits: I’m not sure about the 24-hour claim, as I rarely stay out that long anymore (if ever!). However, I am impressed with the longevity of the product. If I am going out in the evening, I will usually apply a second coat to increase impact, however I am pleased with how well the mascara lasts without flaking or smudging. It gives me a wide-eyed look which in some respects is quite doll-like (but not OTT), with defined lashes.

Anti-clump brush: This mascara is one of the best no-clumps products I have used. It defines my lashes really well and doesn’t clump.

I have nothing to complain of in terms of this mascara. It does a great job for a very low price – highly recommended for all ages.

• Lush Honey Trap Lip Balm / Lip Care / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      04.12.2014 10:36

Advantages

• " effective"
      • " lasts ages"
      • "Lovely scent and taste"

Disadvantages

• "Can go a bit funny in the heat"

Amazing lip balm

I love the store Lush and am currently trying to sample every single product that they make. Actually, I say “currently”, I’ve actually been trying to do this for years and still haven’t managed it – who knows when I will complete my task?!

Anyway, back to the review. Lush make a number of lip balms and I have tried several. They are high quality, though expensive - £5.75 for 80g – and I find they do last a long time. The balms come in little silver tins which are very handy and convenient to carry about with you, as they will fit in even the smallest of clutch bags. The only problem I find is that occasionally the lid can get stuck – so I try not to screw it on too tightly! It isn’t the sort of tin which will come apart in your bag, thankfully.

Honey Trap has a yummy selection of ingredients to soothe and moisturise your lips. Lush describe it as their thickest and richest lip balm. Honey and oatmeal soothe and moisturise lips: honey also has antiseptic properties. White chocolate nourishes and hydrates, as does Fair Trade shea butter. Wheatgerm, olive and almond oils also nurture and moisturise, while beeswax and carnuba wax help to form a protective barrier over your lips. The presence of beeswax means that the balm is not suitable for vegans, but like all Lush products it is suitable for vegetarians.

The balm is a pale cream in colour and smells absolutely amazing, of sweet honey and chocolate. It is easy to use a finger to get some out and smooth it on your lips; only a small amount is needed. It does melt relatively easily, which is handy in the cold, but less good in the hot weather. I had it out with me during the very high temperatures a couple of weeks ago, and my lip balm (which is nearly used up, thankfully) got really hot and went a bit grainy, so it’s definitely a balm for the colder months. As it is so effective, it is much handier during that time anyway, as cold weather can really dry out my lips.

The balm stays on my lips for a good few hours and I don’t have to reapply too often. It helps to keep my lips in great condition even in bad weather. I find it is a good base for lipstick, so long as I am careful not to apply too much.

I love this lip balm and definitely recommend it. Despite my problems with using it in the hot weather, I really like it – especially the lovely scent and taste! I would definitely buy it again.

• Stila Lip Glaze / Make Up / 10 Readings / 10 Ratings
      03.12.2014 10:33

Advantages

• " feels soft on lips"
      • "Nice colour"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A good product, but a bit expensive for me

Stila is an American brand created in the 1990s. It is available at Boots and at a number of beauty stores online; I’ve also seen it on the ASOS site. This lip glaze costs £15.

The lip glaze is apparently one of Stila’s top sellers and comes in a variety of shades. Mine is “piñata” which must be a limited edition shade as I can’t see it on the Boots website; however there are lots of other shades to choose from. This is a pretty pink shade.

The packaging is an easy-to-use twist pen style. When you first use the pen you have to twist the bottom 10-15 times to activate, then 1-3 times after that each time you want to apply some lip glaze. The packaging is handy to carry and doesn’t cause mess. It is clear in colour, which is good as it means you can easily see the colour of the product inside, and see exactly how much you have left. However, it also shows you just how little product you get considering the size of the tube! The Stila name and logo is printed on the tube in a minimalist style.

On the lips, the glaze feels slightly sticky, but not overly so. I actually prefer sticky glosses anyway as I find they have better staying power. The gloss has a lovely smell and taste, which is rather fruity. Apparently each gloss has its own flavour and scent.

The lip glaze is meant to minimise dryness in the lips. I would agree that it does this, as I do suffer from dry lips and, while I could not use this as a complete substitute for lip balm, I can often get away with just this product on several occasions during the day. It feels soft on my lips, and pleasantly conditioning. It seems to reduce the appearance of dry lips.

It is stated that the shine in the lip glaze will help to enhance the lips in terms of size and texture. It does seem to do this as it makes my lips seem fuller. The pale pink colour is subtle and suits my pale skin; I think it would suit a lot of skin tones.

The gloss lasts an hour or two on my lips before I have to reapply. It would be nice if it lasted longer, but it’s a gloss, and they don’t tend to last that long everything.

I like everything about this product other than the price. Yes, it is good but £15 is a lot to pay for a lip gloss, though I’d pay that price for a lipstick. As things stand I probably wouldn’t buy it for myself, but if I found it in the sale I might well do so.

02.12.2014 10:56

Advantages

• "Good price"
      • "Beautiful colours"

Disadvantages

• "Peel off quickly"

Beautiful colours, but longevity lets them down

I picked up a couple of these Maybelline Color Show nail polishes when they were on special offer in Boots. Normally they are priced at £2.99, which I think is a good price for nail varnish anyway, but on offer they were even cheaper.

The new nail polishes have been made with a transparent gel-based formula “combining bold, crisp color with a runway-inspired wardrobe for your nails”. It comes in lots of bright and attractive colours, apparently inspired by catwalk runways and New York’s global role in fashion.

I didn’t actually get the brightly coloured varnishes – I got glitter ones instead! I bought a rose gold, a silver and a red glitter. I love glitter varnish and I thought the colours looked gorgeous, particularly the rose gold which I thought was really unusual.

As with all glitter varnishes, I used a base coat before applying and a top coat afterwards. The varnish was easy to apply, with a decent-sized brush that didn’t drag, and it dried in a reasonable amount of time. I used two coats to get the best coverage, though one would have sufficed for a subtle sparkle. As the varnish itself is clear, this would be a nice product to layer over another colour.

The nail varnish – all three colours – looks beautiful once on. However, unfortunately it peels really easily. Within a couple of hours of application I found it was peeling. I have problems with glitter varnish anyway – I do find that it chips more quickly than standard polish – but this was ridiculous. I suppose the up-side is that it peels off so easily you don’t need to bother with nail polish remover!

Though this polish comes in beautiful colours, I would not buy it again because of the very poor longevity. As to the colours I already have, I will continue to wear them on special occasions – I should hopefully be able to get it to last a night, with a good top coat, even if it peels off the next day! Normally, though, having to reapply constantly would really irritate me. I might give one of the plain colours a go, but certainly not the glitter.

• Lush Starcraft / Body Care / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
      25.11.2014 16:33

Advantages

• Effective
      • "Lovely gentle product"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A lovely cleanser

A while ago I purchased a bottle of the Lush cleanser Starcraft from the Retro section. This cleanser comes in a bottle and I got 95g for £5.95. This is pricey, but I hoped that, like all Lush products, it would be worth the money.

Starcraft is a slightly runny liquid, white in colour, and it comes in a clear plastic bottle, the same as other Lush products. This is handy as you can see exactly how much you have left. The description states that it will “lift your skin to a higher dimension”. The cleanser is made with oat milk and almond oil, honeysuckle and lavender. It is suitable for vegans.

The instructions state to smooth over the face and remove using a warm face cloth or damp cotton wool. I did this and found it felt soothing and cooling on my skin. There was no irritation at all and though the product was runny, the small opening to the bottle meant that it was easy to control how much came out. I didn’t need to use too much of the product.

I then removed the cleanser using cotton wool, following with toner and moisturiser. The cleanser was easily removed and I thought it did a great job of removing all makeup and making my skin feel really cleansed.

Regular use of this product kept my skin clean, clear and healthy and it looked in great condition. I have no complaints to make about Starcraft – a highly effective cleanser that I think would suit even sensitive skins. The only real issue is the price – that, and the fact that it will be hard to get hold of now. However, Lush are releasing past products regularly via their new “Kitchen” so there is a good chance this will turn up at some point!

24.11.2014 12:30

Advantages

• "Excellent product"

Disadvantages

• "Not sure about the taste"

Superb lip balm for the cold weather

I suffer from dry lips so I always use a lip balm of some description, and I have quite a collection. I got this Hemp Lip Protector from the Body Shop. Normally it costs £4 for a 4.2g stick, but I got a bunch of stuff online using a discount voucher.

The Body Shop have a considerable hemp range, all products of which come in dark green packaging. The range contains Community Fair Trade hemp seed oil, which comes from hemp plants grown in England and produced by a co-operative of small-scale family farmers. The lip balm is designed to restore very dry lips and protect them in extreme weather conditions. Therefore, it is ideal for winter. It is dermatologically tested.

The balm comes in a stick, so it’s handy to use and carry around, no smearing lip balm on your finger to apply it. It has a faint hemp smell but it isn’t as strong as I feared it might be.

It is best to apply the balm fairly lightly so it doesn’t go on too thick. However, only a small amount is needed to make lips feel soft and smooth. It does feel like a barrier to the elements, and having used it all through last winter I can confirm that it does a really good job of protecting lips from the cold. It goes on invisible, provided you don’t apply too much, and is also a good base for lipstick, as it keeps lips in good condition so your lipstick goes on without dry skin or clumps getting in the way.

Overall, I highly recommend this lip balm, especially in the forthcoming colder weather. I’ve a good mind to go and buy some more for myself!

21.11.2014 11:33

Advantages

• "Good product that works"

Disadvantages

• "A little pricey"

A lovely cleanser

I’m a huge fan of the brand Soap & Glory, and have used many of their brightly-packaged, effective body products. The brand also makes facial skincare products, which I also like to sample. I am currently using the Peaches & Clean 4 in 1 Wash-off Deep Cleansing Milk, which I got in a set at Christmas.

The bottle has a pump dispenser, making it easy to get the cleanser out in a hygienic and simple way. A couple of pumps is enough to cleanse my face. I rub the cleanser over my face, adding a little water to help it lather. It has a pleasant peach scent but doesn’t irritate my skin at all. I remove the remains of the cleanser with a cotton wool pad, and follow with toner and moisturiser. If I have been wearing heavy eye makeup I sometimes use a specific eye makeup remover first; otherwise this is the sole cleansing product I use. I only use it at night, as I have another product for the daytime.

I will discuss the different claims of the product below:

3-in-1 cleansing, smoothing and revitalising milk – The product definitely cleanses effectively. It is very good at removing makeup and my face feels very clean afterwards. My skin does feel soother and fresher afterwards: by night time I can often feel tired and lethargic but using this product helps my skin feel refreshed and revitalised – which makes me feel better in general.

Deep purifying, T-zone declogging – My oily T-zone certainly feels fresh and clean after using this. It is certainly a deep cleanser as when I wipe off the cleanser with a cotton wool pad all my makeup comes away – so the product is clearly shifting it. In general, my skin is in better condition with fewer spots and clogged pores.

Boosts circulation and re-energises skin – My skin certainly feels reenergised and revitalised after use.

Melts away make-up and blackhead-causing buildup – it definitely does this, even removing mascara effectively. I do like to use an eye makeup remover when I am wearing heavy eye makeup, just because it ends up all over my face otherwise, but this cleanser does an excellent job.

Balanced for all skin types – My skin can be sensitive but I have experienced no irritation with this product at all. I have oily-combination skin and the cleanser seems to help balance out my skin. It is non-drying so I think it would be good for dry skins too.

Overall, I highly recommend this cleanser. It’s a little pricey, but it lasts for ages, doesn’t irritate my skin, removes makeup effectively and thoroughly cleans my face, leaving it glowing and refreshed.

14.11.2014 17:08

Advantages

• "lovely scent"
          • effective

Disadvantages

I have a crush on this scrub!

As a huge Soap & Glory fan, I’ve been trying to sample all their products. I particularly like their body scrubs, which are extremely effective. A while ago I tried the Sugar Crush scrub.

This scrub was originally part of the S&G Spa range, and my tub was clear plastic with a blue lid and label. It has since been redesigned: it is no longer called “Spa” and the packaging is pink. However, as far as I can tell it is still the same product. It costs £8, but is often available as part of a 3 for 2 offer in Boots.

The scrub is described as a “smashed brown sugar body scrub”. It contains sweet lime and almond oils, as well as macadamia grains and glycerine. The lime gives it an amazing, refreshing citrus smell which really helps me feel more awake in the morning. It also has a sweeter, nuttier base aroma thanks to the almond oil, which also makes the scrub quite moisturising.

Soap & Glory recommend using the scrub one to four times a week depending on how much you need it. I tend to use it around three times per week. In the shower, I scoop some of the product out of the tub and scrub it on to my body, concentrating on my legs, arms, and (in particular) knees and elbows. The scrub isn’t too harsh, but it is very effective and I notice a difference immediately.

After use my skin smells lovely and feels very soft and moisturised – I do have to apply a little moisturiser but not much. The scrub makes a difference after just one use, and regular use has given me soft smooth skin.

This scrub is highly recommended, and I am glad it was redesigned and not just discontinued completely. It is effective, smells lovely and moisturises to boot. Excellent.

14.11.2014 16:56

Advantages

• "Works well"
          • "High quality"
          • "Luxurious packaging"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A good, albeit expensive, powder

I bought this Lancome Poudre Majeure Excellence in the Oxford Street Debenhams store, as it was being sold off at half price: £15 instead of £30. £30 is way too expensive for a face powder, but half of that is a bit more reasonable!

The powder comes in the traditional Lancome silver box, inside of which is a beautiful black jar with the Lancome rose. I love the packaging: it looks classy and sophisticated. I think the powder would be messy to apply when out and about, but in terms of carrying it around in your bag, I would have no issues: the lid fastens securely so there’s no risk of spillage.

The powder is designed for normal to dry skin, and the shade I bought – Shade 01 – is extremely pale and perfect for me. I was happy with this as the palest shade in a lot of foundation products is still too dark for me. I tend to have oily skin rather than dry skin, but I do get dry patches occasionally and hoped the product would suit my skin because of this.

A high quality powder puff is included in the box, but I tend to apply the powder with a brush. There is a mesh included in the packaging that you can lay over the powder, providing a kind of barrier between it and the brush so you don’t use too much product. I find the powder easy to apply: it is incredibly fine, with little discernible scent, and feels velvety-soft.

The powder is ‘micro-aerated loose powder’ which offers comfort and softness to keep skin hydrated and supple. The powder felt lovely on my skin, in fact I could barely tell that I was wearing any at all, except that I knew my skin looked more even-toned and less shiny. I occasionally get dry patches on my skin, but not with this powder, which fulfilled its claim to help keep skin hydrated. I experienced no irritation while wearing this product.

Unfortunately I did notice that the powder didn’t prevent oiliness so much as some of my other powders. I imagine that this is because it is designed for dry skin.

Overall though, this is a really good powder.

13.11.2014 16:09

Advantages

• Cheap
          • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "Hard to find"

Excellent conditioner for the price

I am signed up to websites such as Groupon and Living Social and occasionally purchase a bargain. One such was a haircare package including shampoo, conditioner, protection spray and hair mask. Today I will be reviewing the conditioner.

The packaging is brown and green which isn’t the most obviously appealing but it does fit in with the perception of argan oil as being a natural, ‘earthy’ product. What I do like about the packaging is the shape and form. It has a flip top lid, meaning that it is easy to open and close even with wet hands. The lid is actually on the bottom, meaning that even when the product is running out, gravity ensures it’s still easy to get it out of the packaging.

The tube is a 250ml one and the conditioner contains Moroccan Argan Oil extract. Argan oil seems to be a big thing at the moment and it supposed to be really good for your hair. It is claimed that the conditioner helps to rejuvenate and rehydrate the hair, leaving it shiny, smooth and healthy.

The conditioner is easy to use: after rinsing off your shampoo, simply apply a small amount to wet hair, leave for 3-5 minutes and rinse off. It is white and has a thicker texture than the shampoo. It has a faint pleasant smell but this doesn’t really last on my hair.

This conditioner seems to do a really good job. It doesn’t irritate my scalp, but keeps my hair moisturised without making it oily. When used alongside the matching shampoo, the results are superb. I colour my hair and have not noticed this stripping the colour at all – it is very gentle. It helps to tame my hair, keeping it moisturised and under control. It also makes it incredibly shiny – much more than some other conditioners I’ve tried.

I haven’t seen the conditioner anywhere in the shops, but I did a bit of searching and found a shampoo & conditioner duo being sold on eBay for £6.95, which I think is good value. Based on the excellent price and the high quality of the product, I definitely recommend it.

10.11.2014 13:07

Advantages

• Effective

Disadvantages

• Price

Effective product

A while ago, I got some samples from a magazine consisting of miniature REN skincare samples. REN is a company with a philosophy of “clean skincare” and combines the latest technology and product testing with 100% plant and mineral derived ingredients, free from skin-unfriendly synthetic ingredients. The full-size products can be bought from their own website at http://www.renskincare.com/, or from a number of other outlets.

I got a tube of Frankincense Revitalising Night Cream, which I gather from the website has been renamed V-Cense™ Revitalising Night Cream. It is quite pricey at £32 for 50ml, so I am glad I managed to pick up a sample! However only a tiny amount is needed at once so it does last a long time.

The cream has been “formulated to recharge, revitalise and intensively hydrate the skin overnight”. It is designed to help reduce and slow the signs of premature ageing by including antioxidant protection and smoothing fine lines. It also helps skin to feel softer, firmer and smoother, as well as hydrating and replenishing. Or so it claims.

I thought the cream had a light, slightly medicinal scent. It was fairly thick but a bit tricky to squeeze out of the tube. The cream was white and easy to apply; it seemed to blend into my skin well. It felt luxurious and rich on my skin; it felt too heavy for a day cream but perfect for a night cream. The product didn’t irritate my skin at all.

Overall I was impressed with the product. I didn’t have to apply much at all and my skin remained fully moisturised with no dry patches right up until the next morning. I definitely found that my skin felt soft and smooth, and appeared in good condition.

I can’t really talk about reducing wrinkles, as I’m young enough, luckily, not to really have any yet. However I’d certainly consider repurchasing it in the future, as I have reasonable confidence it would do a good job based on my experience with it now.

The negative aspect of this product is obviously the price. Right now, it’s not really worth me purchasing it, but in the future, who knows?