AbsintheFairy

• Comments

Member since: 14.05.2009

• Lush Putty Your Hands / Soaps / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      03.03.2015 10:43

Advantages

• "Helps eczema"
      • "Cleanses well"
      • Gentle

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Love this stuff

As you will all know by now, I love Lush and all the lovely things they like to bring out. I am a fan of their soaps in particular, but a while ago this one in particular caught my eye. It has the unusual name of Putty For Your Hands.

In a nutshell, the product is designed to be a gentle handwash suitable for sensitive and sore skin. It appealed to me immediately as I have sensitive skin and sometimes suffer from eczema, particularly on my hands. Therefore, I was excited about getting hold of some of this. It costs £5.95 for 100g – expensive, but I decided that if it helped me, it would be worth it.

Suitable for vegans, Putty for Your Hands is made with a base of cornflour and talc, glycerine and water, with soothing marshmallow mucilage and oats and Fair Trade shea butter to moisturise. The essential oils don’t just smell nice: lavender oil is soothing, tea tree oil is antiseptic and chamomile is gentle.

There are two ways to use this product. One is to use it in the same way as soap, rubbing the whole bar over the hands under running water. Another is to break off a small piece, smush it into a paste in your hands with water, and rub hands together. I prefer the latter method as it keeps the main part of the bar dry, helping it to last longer. I find a small piece about the size of a pea is enough – though the bar doesn’t contain any lathering ingredients (as these can irritate skin) a little really does go a long way.

I tend to use this product out of the home: at home I use my Lush soaps but this putty comes with me in its tin, secure in my bag, and I use it at work and when I’m out and about. It doesn’t irritate my skin at all, and feels lovely on my hands. It is easy to work into a paste and my hands feel thoroughly cleansed after use. As a bonus, my hands smell of lavender for a good while afterwards!

The most important thing is whether the product does what it says it does – look after hands and cleanse them while being gentle. It completely fulfils its claims. Even if my hands have felt itchy beforehand, after using this product they feel soothed and not sore. My hands feel soft after use and I am using much less hand cream. In addition, my eczema has much reduced since I have started using this stuff.

If you have eczema, or the cold weather is playing havoc with the skin on your hands, I strongly recommend giving this a try. It’s expensive, but I think it’s worth it.

• DHC Deep Cleansing Oil / Skin Care / 8 Readings / 7 Ratings
      24.02.2015 11:31

Advantages

• Effective
      • Gentle

Disadvantages

Deep cleansing oil that performs really well

In a beauty box a while back, I got a little bottle of DHC Deep Cleansing Oil. I was sceptical about the ability of oil to cleanse – wouldn’t it just make your face really greasy? – but I decided to give it a go.

DHC is a brand I’d previously never heard of, so I went on the website, http://www.dhcuk.co.uk/, to find out something about it. DHC is a Japanese company (the letters stand for Daigaku Honyaku Center) and is a top company in Japan. It uses olive oil from Spain as a base to create a well-developed and researched skincare range.

The Deep Cleansing Oil is apparently a worldwide bestseller, and it has the full five stars based on 280 reviews on the website – quite impressive. It costs £21.50 for 200ml, which might sound pricey but considering that my small bottle lasted me a good couple of months, it seems pretty good to me.

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil is described as a make-up remover which completely removes dirt and cosmetics from your face, including waterproof mascara and eyeliner. At the same time, the oil nourishes your skin leaving it soft and smooth. It is made with a water-soluble formula designed to be rinsed off easily.

It contains olive oil, plus a bunch of other ingredients which I’m not familiar with. To use, you are meant to apply it to your dry face, massage it in, and rinse. I shake out a few drops and apply it to my skin. It feels gentle and soothing and the act of massaging it in is quite relaxing – plus I am sure it is good for the skin to give it a bit of a massage!

I am impressed by how well this product removes makeup. It seems to just melt away, even mascara. I don’t use waterproof mascara though so can’t comment on that. If I am wearing very heavy makeup, such as deep grey eyeshadow, I prefer to use an eye makeup remover first to get the bulk of it off. However, for my everyday makeup this product is perfectly adequate.

Over several weeks of use my skin feels soft, cleansed and clear. I have combination skin, but the oil hasn’t had the adverse effect on my skin I had feared. The dry patches I used to get, particularly in the cold, have gone, and overall I am very impressed.

Despite the high price I would certainly consider buying a full-price bottle of this facial oil. It does an excellent job and really cares for the skin. Highly recommended.

16.02.2015 10:38

Advantages

• " great sound"
        • Cute

Lovely iPod dock

A while ago I decided that I wanted a music system for my room. I used to listen to music on my computer, but it isn’t all that powerful and music slows it down, plus it doesn’t always sound very good. I decided that a docking station compatible with my iPod Classic (which has all my music on it) would be a good idea. After some research I chose the iGhost, and bought it from Amazon for around £40.

The iGhost comes in three colours, black, white and red. Originally I fancied the white one, as after all, aren’t ghosts white? (!), but at the time of my purchase the white was out of stock so I went for the black. With hindsight this was probably the best decision as white plastic might have discoloured. Also, the black goes with everything in my room.

The iGhost is pretty cute: small and compact with a smile and two large round eyes that are also the speakers. It’s possible to control speaker volume by touching the ears gently, although I tend to use the remote instead. The iPod goes on top of the iGhost, and it comes with a selection of cradles to fit the right size of your iPod. The iPod Classic doesn’t use a cradle, but smaller models do. The iGhost is compatible with several models including the Nano 4th gen, iPhone 3g, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and Classic. An added bonus is that the docking station charges it up while it’s playing music.

The iGhost comes with the following features:
        +Remote Control
        +3 Speakers (I know about the eyes but I’m not sure about the third speaker!).
        +15W Subwoofer
        +Bass Reflex
        +Sound Stabilisation Technology
        +3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Lead
        +Power Supply

It is possible to operate the speaker either by using the remote control or using the controls on the iPod itself. I tend to use the iPod itself in the first instance, when I am switching music on in the first place, and then use the remote. Anything you can do on your iPod you can do with this iGhost – choosing music by album, artist, playlist, random etc. I find the sound quality to be excellent. I’m by no means an expert but it goes as loud as I need it to, sounds rich and layered rather than tinny, and generally sounds good. If you love really bass-heavy music or have other specialist requirements, this may not be for you, but for most people I think this would be fine.

Personally I highly recommend the iGhost to all music listeners apart from the most specialised. It is easy to use, well-priced and looks good.

12.02.2015 10:08

Advantages

• "Nice smell"
          • "Lovely scrub"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Pleasant scrub

I got a 50ml tube of This Works Daily Boost Body Scrub in a beauty box a while ago. Research has indicated that this would cost £7, so I was happy to get it in my box.

I hadn’t previously been aware of the This Works brand, so I did a little investigation. The brand offers “award-winning” natural skincare for all skin types and is ideal for busy modern lives. This particular item is designed to be a gentle, creamy scrub to remove dead skin cells. It is meant to leave skin moisturised, soft and supple.

The “natural” aspect of the product is evidenced in the crushed bamboo, an unusual ingredient which I haven’t seen before in a beauty product. The bamboo is eco-cert approved, which I take to mean that it is harvested in an eco-friendly way, and it is the ingredient that polishes the skin. The scrub also contains grapefruit and rosemary which stimulate and revive. The “modern” aspect comes out in the ingredient of tourmaline, designed to improve blood flow.

The scrub has an amazing citrus scent which I love. It really is something special and it is incredibly refreshing. It is easy to squeeze a small amount out of the tube, and it sticks on my skin, unlike some scrubs which seem to fall off so that you can end up using far more than you would like. The scrub feels very gentle on the skin, but even so it does a very effective job. It is gentle enough to use on my upper arms and thighs, but effective enough to work on my elbows and lower legs. After use my skin is left feeling soft and supple, with no added dryness.

Despite the high price, I do highly recommend this body scrub. It smells lovely and does a great job. You can probably get other good scrubs which are cheaper, but this would be lovely if you can splash out a bit more.

• Soap & Glory Glow All Out / Make Up / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
          06.02.2015 13:18

Advantages

• "Well priced"
          • "Gentle glow"

A good product

At Christmas, I got a Soap & Glory makeup set. One of the products in the set was the Glow All Out Luminizing Face Powder.

This normally retails for £11 at Boots and comes in a white compact with a typical Soap & Glory label, a retro black and white picture of a woman. Mine came attached to the base of the makeup set. It has the Soap & Glory logo embossed into the surface; naturally this disappears with use.

Soap & Glory state that this powder can be used just on your cheekbones to highlight, or all over your face for a ‘moonlit’ look. It contains silicone technology for extended wear and ‘Lightscramble’ Luminospheres Pigment Pearls.

The powder is easily picked up by a brush, and I have used it both ways; it is easy to sweep it across my cheeks or my whole face. I tend to use it on my cheeks when I am going out, and all over my face if I am tired but don’t want to look it. The powder is light, so ideal for my pale skin, and subtle, so I can wear it for work.

Some people may prefer a liquid highlighter; I like them, but as I have slightly oily skin I can see the advantages of a powder highlighter like this one. It doesn’t cake but doesn’t enhance any oiliness on my skin. It lasts ages too. As mentioned, it is subtle, but adds a general glow to my skin.

A lovely product, recommended, and one which I may well purchase once the one in my set runs out.

03.02.2015 10:47

Advantages

• "Lasts ages"
            • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• Price

Expensive, but brilliant, cleanser

Among the items I got in a gift set last year were a number of skincare products, including a full-size tube of this Gel Éclat Clarifying Cleanser (Pearly Foam).

A tube of this cleanser costs £22.50 (125ml), a huge price that I would never have considered paying before I tried it. I don’t mind spending a little more on quality skincare, but even I have my limits! I must say, however, that this product won me over.

Lancome describe the product as “A foam so fine and voluminous that glides on the skin to gently liberate the skin from impurities. Rinse off and rediscover the radiant effect of clean skin.” It is suitable for normal and combination skin types (I have combination skin so this sounded perfect for me) and should be used twice daily, applied to the skin and rinsed off.

In the morning, I used the cleanser alone to wash my face in the shower. In the evening, I used a separate cleanser to remove makeup followed by this product to wash my face. I found that this product did clean very well and was able to remove most makeup, but I prefer to use a different cleanser first, particularly if I am wearing heavy eye makeup.

The product contains naturally-derived ingredients such as white lotus, rose de France and Japanese cedar bud. I had never heard of any of these ingredients, but they certainly sounded luxurious!

To use the product, wet your face, put a small amount of product in your hand and lather up before applying onto your face. Massage then rinse off.

The product has a subtle sophisticated scent. I was amazed at how well it lathered. You literally only need a piece the size of a garden pea – it lathers amazingly well and easily cleanses your entire face. It feels gentle and doesn’t irritate my skin at all. It rinses off easily and after use, my face feels completely clean and refreshed without feeling dry.

Regular use of this product has kept my skin in great condition, even-toned and bright. I haven’t had any problems with dry patches, even in the ongoing cold weather, and nor has my skin gone too oily. This stuff is brilliant!

I’ve been using the tube for several months already and it is still going strong - it is lasting for ages!

Despite the high price, I completely recommend this cleanser. It does a great job and as you only need a tiny amount each time, it is actually great value for money. I would definitely repurchase.

21.01.2015 15:59

Advantages

• Long-lasting
              • "Nice colours"

Disadvantages

Very happy with this stuff

I got a Soap & Glory make-up gift set at Christmas and included in the set were 6 shades of their Lid Stuff eyeshadow. I’ve used these shades frequently since.

Normally you can buy 4 shades in a palette, costing £10 from Boots. Each palette has a black base and a clear plastic lid for portability. There is no brush or applicator included so you have to use your own (though there was a brush included in my set).

The palette is available in 3 varieties: one containing nude shades (cream, gold, brown), one containing smoky shades (white, black, grey) and one with colours (such as blue and purple). My selection is a mixture of the above.

Minky: a shimmery light brown
              This is a lovely colour which goes with everything. I love the shimmer effect. I can wear it during the day with a light lipgloss, or in the evening with a darker lipstick – it’s very versatile.
              Dandy Plum: a rich dark purple
              I love this colour; it’s dramatic and makes an impact. I can wear it alone or blended with one of the other colours in the set: I’ve used it with the blue for a dramatic look, and with the grey and black shades for a smoky evening effect.
              Black Gold: black with tiny flecks of glitter
              This makes a dramatic impact worn alone over the lid in the evening. I also use it to accentuate other colours, and as an eyeliner.
              Vanilla: pale cream
              I use this as a base, and also as an all-over shade on the days when I don’t want to look as if I’m wearing too much makeup.
              Wild Blue: a rich bright teal
              This is a wonderfully bright and dramatic colour worn alone; I also like to pair it with the purple shade.
              Smokin’: matte dark grey
              Worn alone, this is a sophisticated smoky shade, but I also blend it with the purple colour for a strong look.

Overall I love the colours: they are versatile and together suit any occasion. I find that you can brush them on to give a light wash of colour or build up the shade using an applicator for a more dramatic look. It is claimed that they last for 8 hours: I wear them for work so it’s easy to judge this, and I find that the claim is true unless it is a particularly hot day. Any longer than that and they do crease; but applying primer beforehand helps them last all day, and also makes the colours ‘pop’ even more.

Overall I’m very happy with these eyeshadows, and would consider buying a palette in the future. Which one, though?

20.01.2015 12:16

Advantages

• "Lovely scent"
                • "Good range of products"
                • "Well priced"

Disadvantages

• "None in particular"

Shimmer and sparkle with this set!

I’m addicted to toiletries but I mostly have products from Lush, The Body Shop and Soap & Glory. After Christmas I was having a look around the Superdrug website and found a couple of gift sets from the I Love… range, which I’ve tried a couple of times. Though they weren’t in the sale, they looked like good value – each set cost £9.99 and contained five products: lip gloss, hand cream, soap, bubble bath and body butter. One was the Shimmer & Sparkle set and one was called Glitter & Gold. This review will discuss the Shimmer & Sparkle gift set.

*Lip Gloss*
                My favourite thing about this lip gloss is the taste. It really does taste chocolatey and sweet, although this could be construed as a bad thing since it means I lick it off more readily! The gloss adds a pleasant shine to my lips but doesn’t last incredibly long – about an hour or two. I tend to wear it for more informal occasions, such during a relaxed weekend or on a quiet day in the office.

*Hand Cream*
                The hand cream came in a flip-top tube which was easy to open and access, but luckily wasn’t loose so it didn’t come apart in my bag. The tube was just the right size to fit in my handbag and had a lovely chocolate scent. It sank in to my skin well and didn’t make my hands feel greasy.

*Soap*
                The soap was a pretty pale cream colour and had a lovely sweet scent. It was slightly drying on the skin but left a pleasant scent behind after use and the bar lasted ages.

*Bubble Bath and Shower Crème*
                I’d already tried this product, having bought it as a separate item in Superdrug previously, and was happy to have another bottle to use. It produced a good deal of bubbles with only a small amount of product. The product smelled lovely, though the scent was a mild one, and it lingered on my skin slightly after use.

*Body Butter*
                I really liked the Body Butter from the kit too. Again, it had a chocolate, slightly nutty scent that was rich and sweet but not too sickly. The butter was fairly thick, so I stuck to using it in the evening as it took a little while to sink in. It didn’t irritate my skin and it left it feeling moisturised.

***Conclusion***
                I really liked this set: the products were all of good quality, if not as amazing as Lush, and what they lacked in brilliance they made up for in price – the set works out at only £2 per item. The scent was lovely and the products worked well together. Recommended as a gift or for a personal treat.

16.01.2015 11:52

Advantages

• "Nice smell"
                  • Natural
                  • Effective

Disadvantages

• Expensive
                  • Messy

A good product, but a bit messy for me

I am gradually trying to sample every Lush product, but it’s taking ages! The most recent product I’ve tried is The Guv’ner.

This product is a deodorant powder that was designed for men, but there’s no reason why women can’t use it too. Lush describe this as “a hardworking, absorbent deodorant powder that means business”. It is made up of charcoal powder and lycopodium powder (made from an Icelandic moss) which are both super-effective and absorbent powders. They control perspiration by absorbing it; this deodorant is designed to be a more gentle, more natural version of the normal deos you get in a shop. It also helps to mask scent thanks to a combination of vetivert, patchouli and sage.

The packaging is a clear plastic bottle with a black flip-top lid, which stays securely on so the powder won’t fall out. The bottle is easily recyclable once finished, and it’s easy to see how much product you have left. I was somewhat troubled, though, by the grey colour of the powder – did I really want to put this on my underarms?

I first applied the powder after my evening shower. Despite my best efforts it was rather messy, so I’m glad I put a towel down. My hands were a bit messy too but I wiped them on my towel and they were fine. Unfortunately my underarms looked rather dark and a little dirty – I was glad I was using the product at night, and not out and about during the day!

The product has an unusual charcoal smell – I can’t really detect the presence of the herbs and spices included. I really like the smell though – it is strong without being overpowering, and I am confident that it would help to mask body odour.

As an overnight product, the deodorant worked fine, causing no bad smells although it didn’t actually stop perspiration altogether. I tried it a couple of times during the day, and though it wasn’t as good as my usual antiperspirant, it wasn’t as bad as I had feared.

I have experimented with using this on my feet and it seems to work fairly well, with the scent helping to mask the horrible smell of my sweaty feet. Again though, I need to be careful with the shoes I use it with – sandals, for example, would show up the dark powder.

Although the product does look messy on the skin, it doesn’t seem to transfer onto clothes: I don’t get grey marks on my nightclothes or on my (white) bedsheets and duvet cover, which is impressive. I am happy, therefore, to use it overnight, and I will continue to do so until it is used up. I probably won’t buy it again, however, as I would rather use another product that isn’t so messy.

• Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara / Make Up / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
                  14.01.2015 12:08

Advantages

• " lasts ages"
                  • " dramatic look"
                  • " no irritation"
                  • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A star of a mascara

I really like Lancome mascaras so I was happy to get a sample of one of their newer products, Hypnose Star. Mine came in a small cylindrical tube, but the normal packaging is the typical curved black Lancome tube, with a pretty silvery star pattern. The packaging for this brand is among the most luxurious I’ve ever come across, which is just as well, as it’s pretty expensive!

The brush is dual-sided, with a triangle design, supposed to create volumised, curled lashes. The mascara is easy to apply, and I particularly like the pointed end of the wand, making it easy to get into the corners of my eyelashes. The mascara doesn’t clump or flake, nor does it irritate my eyes, and although it is not waterproof if doesn’t run except in cases of extreme wetness – like a massively heavy downpour!

Mascara is a necessity for me as I have naturally pale eyelashes and dyed dark brown hair, so if I don’t wear mascara I look pretty odd! I wear contact lenses so want a mascara that won’t irritate my eyes; I don’t use waterproof mascara as I don’t go swimming or anything, so I don’t really need it; but I don’t like mascara to run really easily! This mascara performs really well in all of those respects.

One coat gives a pretty natural look, making my eyelashes look longer and more defined. Two coats give a more dramatic look, with increased volume, and again no clumping.

The mascara is quite pricey at £22.50, but it is a really good quality product that I would definitely consider purchasing again. I would probably wait until there was a special offer, however.

12.01.2015 10:03

Advantages

• "Makes hair shiny"
                  • "Lovely scent"
                  • Gentle

Disadvantages

• Pricey

Going bananas for this conditioner!

I really like trying products from The Body Shop – I’ve been using them on and off for as long as I can remember, and have seen lots of changes over the years. I remember their banana shampoo and conditioner from when I was a child, and was excited to see it back as part of their retro style range a couple of years ago.

I bought both the shampoo and conditioner; at the time they came in clear plastic bottles, the same style as the shower gel bottles, with a green-tinged picture of an old Body Shop store on the front. However, when I went onto the website to research the products for my review, I saw that the packaging has now been changed. The bottles are now opaque and the design is more modern, fitting in with the standard Body Shop haircare packaging design. I guess this means they’ll be staying around.

A full-size 250ml bottle of either the shampoo or the conditioner costs £4.50. This sounds pricey, but the store is always having sales or discount events, and personally I’ve never paid more than £2.50 for a bottle. The size and shape of the packaging is still the same, and the bottles have flip-top lids: handy for squeezing out the amount you need, and easy to use with wet hands. The new bottles are made from 100% recycled plastic (I am not sure whether or not this was the case with the old ones) but one of the things I don’t like about them is that you can’t see through them, so you don’t know when they are about to run out!

***Banana Conditioner***

This conditioner is just like the old one as far as I can remember – a real blast from the past! It definitely smells of banana and has an authentic pale yellow colour. It contains real banana puree, and the shampoo is designed to leave hair soft and tangle-free. You use it just like any other conditioner: shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner, leave for a couple of minutes, and rinse. I find I don’t need to use much of this product to do a good job. The conditioner feels as though it’s looking after my hair, and it is easy to rinse out.

I use the conditioner in conjunction with the matching shampoo. After use my hair smells lightly of banana, and it looks soft, smooth and shiny. I am impressed with both of the products as my hair can be quite dry, so the conditioner is clearly effective. I am particularly impressed at the softness of my hair.

***Conclusion***

I recommend this conditioner. It’s pricey but effective, and it smells lovely. No wonder The Body Shop brought it back!

08.01.2015 11:01

Advantages

• "It works"
                  • Moisturising
                  • "Small amount needed"

Disadvantages

• "A little thick"
                  • Expensive

Shave the planet - and your legs!

I am a huge fan of the shop Lush and am trying to sample all of the products that they make. Though I am not a man (obviously) I still use shaving cream when I am shaving my underarms and legs.

I have used Lush shaving creams in the past, including Prince and Dirty, and I like them because, although it is tricky at first to get used to the idea of using a cream that doesn’t foam, on balance I prefer this as I find it more moisturising. This is particularly true of Shave the Planet as the formula is based on the Handy Gurugu hand cream. This contains lashings of shea butter which makes it incredibly moisturising; in fact it is the richest and thickest of all the shaving creams that Lush make.

It has rather an odd smell, slightly herbal and fresh, unisex and pleasant. It is a very faint green in colour. I scoop some out of the tub – only a small amount is needed – and smooth over my skin. The cream helps me to shave without getting any nicks or cuts. It helps the razor to glide over the skin easily without drying out my skin.

After use, my skin feels incredibly soft with no irritation. I can often get away without using moisturiser. It’s worth noting that the smell does linger so if you can’t stand it, this is a product to stay away from. Also, it is slightly too thick for me as it can sometimes be hard to use with a razor.

The cream costs £10.85 for a 200g pot and £5.45 for 100g. Although it is pricey, it is such a good product that I feel it is worth it. Also, only a very small amount is needed. The fact that it is so moisturising is a big plus considering it is likely to be used by men, many of whom I would assume don’t habitually use moisturiser, and this will help keep the skin on the face soft and moisturised. For women, it helps to prevent shaving rash and burn. Although it is a little thicker than I would prefer, it is an excellent shaving cream that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

07.01.2015 11:32

Advantages

• " softening"
                  • " unique packaging"
                  • "Amazing smell"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A lovely product, but very expensive

I went through a phase last year of subscribing to a lot of beauty boxes and I am gradually working my way through my stash of products. One item I got was a small bottle of this Rituals Zensation Organic Rice Milk and Cherry Blossom “foaming shower gel sensation”. A full-size 200ml bottle of this stuff costs 8.50 in QVC, feelunique.com and other places that sell it (there are several online) so I was very happy to receive this as a sample.

Actually, ‘bottle’ isn’t really the best name for it. The product comes in a pressurised can, and you squeeze it out just as you would a shaving gel. This packaging is pretty innovative, as far as I know, where shower gel is concerned.

The packaging is simple but attractive, with a white background and a minimalist grean leaf design. To use the product, just squeeze some out onto your hand or sponge, and wash as usual. I tend to use my shower puff, as it means I get a good lather from my shower gels without using too much.

The product came out easily and lathered up with no problems. It didn’t lather straight away like a shaving gel, does, though – I had to add a little water before it would do so. Just like a normal shower gel, really. In some ways the packaging was a little unnecessary, as the product could have just as easily been put into a bottle. However, the pressurised container does heavily reduce the chance of leaks, so it would be ideal for travel purposes (not on a plane though I’d imagine!).

The shower gel had an amazing smell, fresh and floral, that I loved. It was really strong and made my showering a genuinely enjoyable experience. The scent lasted a little afterwards, too. The product didn’t dry out my skin, but it didn’t actively moisturise it afterwards, and I did have to use moisturiser.

Overall, this is a really lovely shower product from a brand I hadn’t previously tried. It’s pricey though, so I’d only buy it again if there was a really good offer on.

06.01.2015 12:31

Advantages

• Effective
                  • "Pleasant scent"

Disadvantages

• "Nothing majorly special"

Apple shower gel

I’m a big fan of The Body Shop, and often buy their products when they are on special offer. Recently I’ve been using some products from their Retro range. This is a range of products that used to be sold years ago, and have been repackaged with their original labels. The bottles are the standard clear plastic ones, however the lids are black, and the labels are dark green with a picture of an old Body Shop store. The packaging is made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic, like all Body Shop packaging.

This product is the Green Apple Shower Gel. It is a lovely shade of green and contains Community Trade aloe vera, known to be gentle on the skin. It has an amazing fruity smell with a definite scent of apples ideal for the autumn.

The shower gel lathers up well and cleanses perfectly adequately. It isn’t moisturising, and I do need to use body lotion afterwards, but the aloe vera ensures that it is still reasonably good for my skin. I don’t like the scent of this gel as much as the Raspberry Ripple one, but it is certainly very pleasant and I’ve really enjoyed using it.

I have also used this product as bubble bath. It does produce a good amount of bubbles, and the smell is lovely, but for baths I do prefer to use my more luxurious Lush products.

I don’t think this is available at The Body Shop any longer, but it may come back in the future. Alternatively, it might be possible to track it down on eBay. It is a recommended product with a lovely smell.

05.01.2015 10:42

Advantages

• Gentle
                  • Effective
                  • "Lovely smell"

Lovely shampoo

***Banana Shampoo***
                  This shampoo is just like the old one as far as I can remember – a real blast from the past! It definitely smells of banana and has an authentic pale yellow colour. It contains real banana puree, and the shampoo is designed to cleanse hair gently and leave it shiny. You use it just like any other shampoo: wet hair, squeeze out some shampoo, lather up and rinse. I find I don’t need to use much of this product to do a good job. The shampoo feels as though it is doing a good job of cleansing my hair, and it is easy to rinse out.

I use the shampoo in conjunction with the matching conditioner. After use my hair smells lightly of banana, and it looks soft, smooth and shiny. I am impressed with both of the products as my hair can be quite dry, so the shampoo is clearly effective.

I colour my hair but have noticed no evidence that this shampoo strips the colour.

***Conclusion***
                  I recommend this shampoo. It’s pricey but effective, and it smells lovely. No wonder The Body Shop brought it back!