AbsintheFairy

• 2078
  • Comments

Member since: 14.05.2009

17.09.2014 10:12

Advantages

• Refreshing
      • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A pleasant if pricey body wash

A while ago I got some Balance Me Pure Body Wash free with a magazine. I took it on holiday with me to use it up.

The Balance Me brand specialises in natural beauty created in the UK.

The packaging consists of a clear plastic bottle that is handy when judging how much product you have left. There is a red label with an attractive but simple design and the name of the product. There is a screw top lid which to be honest isn't ideal as it can be a hassle to use with wet hands.

Inside the bottle, the body wash is a dark yellow, honey colour with a fresh, natural, almost herbal scent. It contains juniper, bergamot, geranium and lavender oils to tone and refresh. It is 99% natural in origin.

The wash lathers up really well on a shower puff, which is impressive with a natural shower product like this. It has a pleasant scent and is easy to use. It doesn't have much of a scent once I have finished washing, but I don't mind this as I always use scented body lotion and/or perfume anyway.

The wash is really gentle on my skin. It doesn't dry it out and I don't have to use too much moisturiser afterwards. I really liked using the wash, and the only thing I wasn’t quite so keen on was the price - GBP9 for 200ml. However, I would consider paying this if I fancied a treat, as it is a really good product.

15.09.2014 11:26

Advantages

• " unusual scent"
      • Amazing

Disadvantages

• "None particularly"

Genuinely euphoric fragrance

Lush, my favourite store, recently released a number of new fragrances under the Gorilla Perfume name. These look, smell and sound very different to other perfumes from both Lush and other brands, with unusual ingredients and concepts, and I was very intrigued when I heard about them.

To coincide with the launch of the new fragrances, Lush opened a temporary gallery space in east London. I visited this gallery and had a memorable experience. The fragrances were displayed as works of art, with pictures or sets used to represent the perfumes. Simon Constantine, head perfumer at Lush, has stated that he wants to develop the concept of perfume as an art form, like painting or music, and I feel that he has met with success here. The new perfumes come in bottles of different sizes and shapes, and look like old apothecary bottles displayed in-store.

I actually got this bottle as a freebie! I made a purchase at the gallery and received a goody bag which contained a little bottle of Euphoria. As you can imagine, I was – well – euphoric!

***Bottle***
      Unlike other Lush perfumes, which come in standardised black bottles, the new fragrances come in clear glass bottles of all different shapes and sizes. I really like these bottles as they are unusual and attractive. The perfume itself is a pale yellow liquid while the label shows a blue and white background with yellow and red lettering, reminding me of a Victorian fairground.

***The Fragrance***
      Euphoria, like Sun, was inspired by the concept of “healing” scents. It has been made utilising the principles of aromatherapy, and is meant to induce a positive mood in the wearer.

The fragrance is suitable for vegans and, as the list of ingredients is so small, I have reproduced it here:
      DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Clary Sage Oil, Rose Oil, Petitgrain Absolute, *Geraniol, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Limonene, *Linalool, *Citral, *Farnesol, *Citronellol, *Benzyl Salicylate

Clary sage, grapefruit, lime and neroli are all scents that help to cheer the wearer.

***My Experience***
      I loved this scent from the moment I first tried it. I thought it was fruity and refreshing, perfect for summer. However, it seemed different from most fruity fragrances in one respect. It seems to have more depth and complexity than most of these. It started off quite sharp and fresh, then mellowed slightly throughout the day to a slight honey scent.

***Price and Availability***
      Euphoria is available online and in Lush stores. Prices range from GBP10 for a 7g bottle (the one I got free) to GBP40 for a 92g bottle. I do think this is good value, as the scent contains essential oils.

***Conclusion***
      I love this scent, it is a fruity and uplifting fragrance but it has more depth than you might expect. Definitely recommended.

11.09.2014 12:30

Advantages

• "Lovely product"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A lovely shampoo for dry and damaged hair

I often get samples from magazines, and I’ve received several samples of L’Occitaine’s Aromachologie Repairing Shampoo and Conditioner. It’s lucky I’ve got samples, because they are pretty expensive - GBP16 for 300ml of shampoo and GBP16 for 250ml of conditioner. Both products come in green bottles with silver flip-top lids and pink labels. Together, they are designed to make damaged and dry hair strong and shiny.

The shampoo contains an “anti-breakage complex”, and contains five essential oils (ylang-ylang, sweet orange, lavender, geranium, angelica). It is free of silicones and contains amino acids, derived from plants. Vitamin B5 has also been added. Together, the ingredients are designed to smooth and soften the hair, as well as protect and repair hair fibres.

The product is easy to use thanks to the flip-top lid, and a small amount is needed to create a good lather on wet hair. It has a pleasant floral scent that I can’t quite place. It doesn’t irritate my scalp and washes out easily.

After use (alongside the matching conditioner), my hair looks soft, shiny and healthy. It is easy to manage and much less frizzy than usual. I am in the habit of letting my hair dry naturally, and it is still easy to manage and comb. It feels softer and more silky, too.

This is a really good product. I’m not sure if I would buy it at full price, as it is pretty expensive, but as a magazine freebie it is great, and I would certainly keep an eye out for any special offers.

10.09.2014 10:23

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • "Amazing scent"

Disadvantages

• "Hard to get hold of"

Lovely raspberry shower gel

I’m a big fan of The Body Shop, and often buy their products when they are on special offer. Recently I’ve been using some products from their Retro range. This is a range of products that used to be sold years ago, and have been repackaged with their original labels. The bottles are the standard clear plastic ones, however the lids are black, and the labels are dark green with a picture of an old Body Shop store. The packaging is made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic, like all Body Shop packaging.

This product is the Raspberry Ripple Shower Gel. It is a luscious red in colour and contains Community Trade aloe vera, known to be gentle on the skin. It has an amazing fruity smell with a definite aroma of raspberries.

The shower gel lathers up well and cleanses perfectly adequately. It isn’t moisturising, and I do need to use body lotion afterwards, but the aloe vera ensures that it is still reasonably good for my skin. The best thing about this Raspberry Ripple shower gel is the scent – other shower gels perform just as well, but few smell as amazing as this one.

I have also used this product as bubble bath. It does produce a good amount of bubbles, and the smell is lovely, but for baths I do prefer to use my more luxurious Lush products.

I don’t think this is available at The Body Shop any longer, but it may come back in the future. Alternatively, it might be possible to track it down on eBay. It is a recommended product with an amazing smell.

08.09.2014 10:55

Advantages

• "Unusual scent"

Disadvantages

• "Might not appeal to everyone"

Incredibly unusual fragrance

My favourite store, Lush, makes beautiful and unusual fragrances under the name Gorilla Perfume. Many of these are available in-store, with some exclusively online. Several are available in sample sizes, and you can also buy two miniature sets each containing eight of the sample size fragrances.

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is The Smell of Weather Turning.

*Packaging*
        Each fragrance comes in a tiny 2ml glass vial and the bottles are laid out together in a recycled cardboard case. It is also possible to buy the fragrances in the following forms:
        - Solid GBP8
        - Spritzer GBP18
        - Atomiser GBP37

The concentrations are different depending on the form purchased, with the atomiser having the highest concentration. The perfumes come in the standard black packaging which is slightly dull, but fits in with the Gorilla Perfume ethos of concentrating on the perfume rather than the packaging. Some people on the Lush forum have found that perfume can leak from these black bottles, but I haven’t had any problems.

*The Fragrance*
        As the name suggests, The Smell of Weather Turning is one of Lush’s most unusual-sounding fragrances. Lush state that it smells like “A walk in the fields after a storm, raindrops drying on grass”. It has an interesting selection of ingredients, including oakwood, hay, beeswax, nettle, English peppermint, mint and Roman chamomile.

*My Experience*
        I find it really hard to describe this scent, but I will try! On first application I can smell a smoky mint fragrance, unlike anything I’ve ever smelled before. I keep sniffing my wrist to get another whiff! Over time the smell evolves into a smoky, herbal scent that reminds me of hay and warm summer air. It reminds me of nothing so much as Glastonbury festival at night-time, or an outdoor bonfire in the summer.

The perfume continually evolves on the skin, and lasts for several hours. I think this is one which would smell slightly different on each person, so I would certainly recommend trying it before purchasing. It’s one of the most unusual scents I’ve ever smelled and I think it would be suitable for both men and women.

*Conclusion*
        I love this scent! It’s original and unusual, really evocative and reminiscent of the outdoors. Highly recommended.

03.09.2014 14:10

Advantages

• "Paraben and sulphate-free"
        • "Absorbs well"
        • "Doesn't cause irritation"
        • Moisturises

Disadvantages

• "None really"

Good product

I got this tube of Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream free with a magazine. I was pleased to get this as a freebie as it is quite pricey to buy: £20 for 15ml or £14 for 10ml. You can buy this from the brand’s own site, www.balanceme.co.uk, as well as a number of other sites including lookfantastic.com.

The Balance Me brand is British and they specialise in making natural, paraben free and sulphate free beauty products. It is a relatively new brand but they have already won several awards including the ‘Red’ Best of Beauty Award in 2012.

This ‘Wonder Eye Cream’ is described as “A triple-action eye cream to help revitalise weary eyes, smooth away dark shadows and reduce the appearance of fine lines with super hydrating hyaluronic acid to help brighten and smooth the delicate skin around the eyes.” It comes in a squeezy tube. The packaging means it is easy to squeeze exactly as much as you need out of the tube, but unfortunately it’s not possible to tell how much you have left. Also, it is quite tricky to get the last remnants of the cream out. The tube is white in colour with a simple but attractive orange design.

Some of the ingredients for the cream include calming camomile, witch hazel which refreshes, cucumber oil which soothes and spruce knot which is an antioxidant.

To use, I squeeze out a few drops of the cream and dab them around my eyes before gently patting the cream in. It has a faint pleasant scent and feels cool and soothing on my skin; it doesn’t cause any irritation at all. It absorbs well despite being fairly rich.

I don’t really have any wrinkles under my eyes – yet. However I’ve noticed the skin there seems to be in better condition since using this, more moisturised and generally healthier.

Overall, this is a really good eye cream which I would consider repurchasing. It’s good quality and has a positive effect on my eyes, so despite the high price I would recommend.

22.08.2014 11:21

Advantages

• "Suits my pale skintone"
          • "Powder itself is high quality"

Disadvantages

• "Awful packaging"

A superb product let down by dreadful packaging

I really like the brand Urban Decay and like to try a lot of their makeup items. I got a small pot of this powder in a gift set.

When I got this I was intrigued because I’d never tried any of Urban Decay’s face makeup before. I love their eyeshadows but that was the extent of my experience with the brand. However, I do have slightly oily combination skin, so some sort of face powder is pretty much essential for me – I hoped that this would live up to expectations.

*About the Product*
          The full name of the product is Razor Sharp Ultra-Definition Finishing Powder. It fits in with the recent popularity of ‘high-definition’ or ‘photo-ready’ face products. UD suggest that the product will help you achieve a flawless complexion, creating a soft-focus effect. The powder apparently contains tiny water particles which burst on application, helping to moisturise and refresh the skin, which sounds bizarre to me!

*Packaging*
          My 3.75g sample pot (it doesn’t sound much but the powder is very light, and as it’s so fine I found it lasted ages) was a cylindrical tube with a clear base, handy for allowing you to see how much powder there was left. A razor pattern covered the clear part of the pot, while the lid was matte silver. The full-size pot has an iridescent Urban Decay logo on top, but my smaller size had a little mirror – this was a bit small to be used when applying a full face, but it came in handy when applying lipstick out and about.

The packaging has a twist mechanism to close and open the pot, and a sponge applicator attached to the top. I absolutely hated this as I had to shake the pot loads and practically hit my face with the powder sponge to get any product out. Also, the sponge was really hard so I hated using it to apply the product. In the end, I started removing the lid altogether and using a separate brush to apply the powder. This worked much better in terms of application, but also meant that the powder was not portable.

*Powder*
          The actual quality of the powder is very good. It is finely milled and applies without caking; it blends in perfectly, provides a great base for makeup, and makes skin look smooth and almost blemish-free. On bad skin days I had to apply foundation underneath, but on good days I could get away with just the powder. It was ideal to wear on hot days as it didn’t cake, unlike heavier powders.

The full-size powder costs GBP21, which is pricey, but the powder is good quality. It’s a shame the packaging is so rubbish, as I definitely wouldn’t buy it as it is. If the packaging changed, I would certainly consider it.

20.08.2014 10:51

Advantages

• Effective
            • "Easy to use"
            • "Amazing scent"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Go nuts for this massage bar

As I’ve probably mentioned before – actually, as I’ve DEFINITELY mentioned before – I am a huge fan of the store Lush, and am trying to sample every single product that they make. One of the recent products I’ve tried is the Nutts Massage Bar.

I originally came across Nutts when it was released as part of the Retro range. Retro is a selection of products which were discontinued from stores, but which were not unpopular enough to get rid of completely. They are only available from the Lush website, not in-store. In recent years, the company have begun to release different products from Lush’s past every month or two as limited editions, so that customers are able to sample a variety of different products. I purchased the Nutts Massage Bar from the website at a price of GBP5.95.

What’s a massage bar? Well, as the name suggests, they are designed to be used during massages. Lush intend them to be used with a partner, hence why there are a lot of them released on Valentine’s Day! The idea is that your partner rubs the bar between their hands and massages you, releasing relaxing or energising scents and moisturising your skin at the same time. Having said that, you can just use the bars as solid moisturisers, which is what I tend to do.

The name for this particular bar could have been derived from the fact that it is made from coconut oil (which is very moisturising). However, the bar is described as having a masculine scent, so maybe the name comes from something else! The bar is also made with cocoa butter, another very moisturising ingredient. It also contains tahini, vetivert oil, sesame oil, vanilla and tonka absolutes, sandalwood oil and bergamot oil. This combination of rich, sweet and uplifting ingredients has resulted in an amazing smell – I love the scent, it reminds me of cakes. It has a nutty aroma with a bit of sweetness.

The bar is designed to melt at just above room temperature, meaning that it will begin to melt fairly soon after holding it in your hands. This is definitely a luxurious bar for intensive moisturising, as it would be a bit rich for every day. I rub the bar between my hands to release the oils then massage into my skin.

The bar feels very luxurious to use and doesn’t irritate my skin at all. It keeps my skin soft for several hours, which is impressive as I do suffer from dry skin on my body. The smell is amazing too – I can still smell it the next day on my skin. Though the smell is described as masculine, I feel it is more of a general unisex smell that anyone can enjoy. Though the bar melts fairly quickly, I don’t need to use much at any one time, so it is lasting me for ages.

I highly recommend this massage bar. It smells amazing and is really effective.

14.08.2014 10:32

Advantages

• " original idea"
            • "Impressive longevity"

Disadvantages

• "Disliked the scent"

Not for me

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is Ladyboy.

- Solid GBP7.50
            - Spritzer GBP15
            - Atomiser GBP31

*The Fragrance*
            Ladyboy fragrance is very unusual, with notes of violet, banana, seaweed and amber. Lush describe it as a ‘carnival’, a complex and sophisticated scent that is unconventional.

*My Experience*
            When I first tried this perfume I thought it smelled like a bit of a mess to be honest. There was a musty scent but I could detect a couple of the notes, such as violet and amber.

The longevity of the scent was impressive. It lasted nearly all day although it had fainted slightly by the end. I couldn’t work out whether I liked it or not. Sometimes I thought it was a bit boring and musty, but at others I caught a whiff of sweetness which I quite liked.

*Conclusion*
            I’m not sure what I really think about this one. I probably wouldn’t buy it for myself as I just wasn’t keen. Sometimes I thought I quite liked it, but overall this is not one for me!

07.08.2014 11:55

Advantages

• "Adds gloss"
            • "Effective balm"
            • "Lovely packaging"

Disadvantages

• "Too thick and glossy for under lipstick"
            • "Loose lid"

Lovely balm in a vintage tin

I love lip balms and always seem to have quite a collection! One balm I’ve been using lately is the Rose & Co Strawberry Crush Glossy Lip Balm.

Rose & Co is a retro-inspired brand based in Haworth, England, though their products can be bought at a number of UK outlets and online. This particular product is a lip balm, made with almond oil to moisturise, and scented with strawberry.

The balm comes in a white round tin with a red polka dot pattern and a picture of a woman dressed in vintage clothing. The tin is attractive but unfortunately it is fairly loose – so it’s not one to carry around in your handbag as the lid will certainly come off. Luckily, I use this lip balm at work so this isn’t a problem.

Inside, the balm is red and has a lovely fresh strawberry smell. To use, simply scoop some balm out with your finger and apply to your lips. The red is much lighter on the lips and doesn’t really add colour, though it does add a very faint red tint.

The balm is very moisturising and feels pleasant on. It lasts for quite a while too, a couple of hours on the lips. I do suffer from dry lips so it’s nice to find such an effective product.

I don’t think this is the best balm to use under lipstick as it is a bit too thick. It is best for a light natural look.

Strawberry Crush costs around GBP4-£5 from stores such as House of Fraser, Amazon and Fragrance Direct, as well as several independent outlets. It’s pricey, but you do get a lot of balm (20g). Recommended, so long as you don’t want to carry it around in your bag!

04.08.2014 11:16

Advantages

• " versatile"
            • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• "Not effective enough to use regularly"

Coconut deodorant from Lush

In my favourite, store, Lush, a while ago I made some new purchases, one of which was the Coconut Powder Deodorant.

***What is Lush?***

Lush is a store that makes toiletries and cosmetics, using natural and organic ingredients where possible and minimising packaging where they can. It started out as a mail order company called Cosmetics to Go, but this failed and the new store, Lush, opened in Poole, Dorset. Later branches of the shop opened in London and beyond, and there are now Lush stores all over the world. As well as in store, you can also buy products from the website, www.lush.co.uk. There are similar websites for many different countries including the USA, Japan and Germany.

***About the Product***
            As well as the bath products for which they are famous, Lush make a number of other products including deodorants. One of these is the Coconut Powder deodorant, priced at GBP4.20 for 50g. It resembles talc, and comes in a black shaker. Lush describe it as the world’s only deodorant with powdered coconut milk, creamed coconut, dessicated coconut and coconut oil. That’s a lot of coconut! These ingredients are designed to help the deodorant stay in place all day. The bulk of the product is made up of tapioca, cornstarch and magnesium carbonate, ingredients which help to absorb moisture, and it is scented with vetivert and benzoin.

The deodorant is easy to apply but it does make a bit of a mess – it is white powder after all. Only a tiny amount is needed at any one time, so it lasts for ages. I’ve tried it as a deodorant and also as a talc.

As a deodorant, I’ve stuck to using it at night after my evening shower. This is because it makes a bit of a mess, which doesn’t matter when I’m about to get into my pyjamas, but can be a problem when I am getting dressed in the morning. I find it reasonably effective at keeping my underarms dry, so long as I don’t undertake too much exertion. It is very gentle on my skin and makes it feel more moisturised. I really like the scent of this – the coconutty aroma is very pleasant. I wouldn’t want to use it as an everyday deodorant, but for light use it's fine.

I also use the product as a talc, and it is particularly good in the summer owing to its deodorising properties – not strong enough for the underarms, but fine for the rest of the body. It helps to keep my skin dry in the heat, and makes my skin feel soft. The scent of the product is lovely, and very refreshing and summery.

Overall I do recommend this Coconut Deodorant Powder. It isn’t strong enough to be used as a proper deodorant – unless you are one of those lucky people who hardly sweat at all – but it is ideal to use on the rest of your body, especially during the summer.

01.08.2014 12:12

Advantages

• "Interesting ingredients"

Disadvantages

• "Too musky"

Not for me

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is 1000 Kisses Deep.

- Solid GBP6
            - Spritzer GBP12
            - Atomiser GBP24

*The Fragrance*
            Lush describe this fragrance as complex and developing. It is made up of top notes of mandarin and osmanthus blossom, with undertones of myrrh and labdanum. I thought this combination of ingredients sounded rather bizarre, so I was looking forward to trying it.

*My Experience*
            When I first smelled this I thought it was really unusual. It was light and fresh with a musky undertone, unlike anything I’ve ever smelled before.

Unfortunately, after a while the scent dried down and became a bit too musky for me. It did last for ages, but I wasn’t that keen on it.

*Conclusion*
            1000 Kisses Deep is a good value fragrance and I would recommend it if you like unusual perfumes. Unfortunately, it isn’t really for me.

30.07.2014 12:42

Advantages

• "Unusual and refreshing"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Love this perfume!

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is Love.

- Solid GBP 7.50
            - Spritzer GBP 15
            - Atomiser GBP 31

*The Fragrance*
            Love has the following main notes: lemon, lemongrass, bergamot, apple, cinnamon, cassia, jasmine, rose and ylang ylang. I think it sounds very appealing and fresh. The scent has been used in some Lush products such as the limited edition Love Potion massage bar for Valentine’s Day and the Dragon’s Egg ballistic.

*My Experience*
            I was familiar with the fragrance as I had previously sampled products scented with Love, so I was excited about trying it. On first application, I loved the fresh apple scent. Apple is a very unusual smell to have in a perfume, so this is a really unique fragrance.

Over time, the scent dried down and the spicy cinnamon aspect of the fragrance became more prominent. The perfume lasted for ages on my skin – a good few hours – and I also found that it lingered on my clothes. I kept getting whiffs of apple – it reminded me of mulled cider!

It’s the sort of smell you can enjoy all year round – the freshness is ideal for summer, while apples can also evoke autumn and cooler weather, cinnamon being reminiscent of Christmas.

*Conclusion*
            I love ‘Love’ perfume! It’s an unusual and refreshing scent. I would be happy to pick up a full size bottle and would recommend it to anyone who likes unusual, fruity scents.

28.07.2014 10:01

Advantages

• "Unusual packaging"
              • "Unique scent"
              • "Interesting concept"

Disadvantages

• Pricey
              • "A bit too unusual?"

An unusual perfume from Lush

***Bottle***
              The new fragrances come in clear glass bottles of all different shapes and sizes. I really like these bottles as they are unusual and attractive. The perfume itself is a reddish-brown purple shade while the purple and white label shows a security camera.

***The Fragrance***
              The Bug is one of the most bizarre perfumes in the new Gorilla fragrance range. It was inspired not by creepy-crawlies, but by the modern culture of surveillance, security cameras and computers tracking us even as the Internet becomes an even more important part of our lives. How would you begin to transform this very abstract concept into a scent? The perfume is suitable for vegans.

Perfumers Mark and Simon Constantine were inspired by “the paranoia of the modern age”. Designed to both attract and repel, the fragrance contains a woody base of sandalwood and a lighter note of elemi, as well as labdanum resinoid which creates an unsettling aspect to the scent. Other ingredients are included as part of the ‘secret’ perfume.

***My Experience***
              I wasn’t keen on The Bug the first time I smelled it. I thought it was rather unremarkable and musky. However, judging from past experience I knew I should try it on my skin before making a final judgement. I did so, therefore.

I thought the scent was a bit strong and overwhelming at first, but within a few minutes it settled down into an unusual aroma, with a sweet aspect alongside a pepper note. I find it hard to describe this scent, as it is so different from anything else I’ve tried, and anything else in the Lush range. Like Hellstone, I found it quite unsettling, but kept sniffing my wrist nevertheless – there was something compelling about it. It was pleasant and wearable, but edgy.

The fragrance lasted around four or five hours on my skin, which is reasonable enough. After a while some of the uniqueness of the perfume seemed to vanish, and it started to become a normal spicy-sweet scent. I still liked it, however – an unusual concept for a perfume.

***Price and Availability***
              The Bug is widely available in Lush stores and via the website. It comes in a range of sizes ranging from 7g (GBP14) to 92g (GBP65). The fragrance isn’t the cheapest, but it is less pricey than some of the others available in the new range.

***Conclusion***
              I really liked The Bug, much more than I had expected to. I don’t know if I would buy it as I don’t know if it is really ‘me’. However I do think it is a worthwhile fragrance, an abstract concept rendered as a scent, and I do recommend trying it.

24.07.2014 10:49

Advantages

• "Feels luxurious"
              • "Moisturises well"
              • "Amazing scent which lingers"

Disadvantages

• Price

Amazing body lotion, shame about the price

I subscribe to the monthly Birchbox which means I get a selection of cosmetics and toiletry samples every month. Last year, one of my samples was a Molton Brown Ylang-Ylang body lotion, which I received the month after my Molton Brown body wash. I’d never tried the Molton Brown range before – I usually use Lush or Soap & Glory – so I was intrigued.

Molton Brown describe their ylang-ylang products as follows: “London via Madagascar: Secrets from rainforest. Sun-warmed woods. Dozing heads beneath the canopy.” They certainly sound very appealing! The lotion is a pale lilac colour and is made with a “skin pampering complex” to firm, comfort and hydrate. It is scented with Madagascan ylang-ylang perfume oil.

Like the matching body wash, this body lotion smells amazing – it has a relaxing, sophisticated ylang-ylang scent. It is also pricey - GBP25 for 300ml. I use it after showering with the matching body wash, and only a small amount is needed. The lotion doesn’t irritate my skin at all, but sinks in really easily. The smell is amazing – I don’t have to apply any perfume for at least four hours, as the scent really lasts.

The lotion is fairly light, but still manages to be good enough for my dry skin. It doesn’t offer an intensive moisturising experience, but is ideal as a luxurious everyday body lotion.

Just like the body wash, the body lotion is a pricey product that is nevertheless of very high quality. Despite the high price, I would consider purchasing a full-size version.