AbsintheFairy

• 2078
  • Comments

Member since: 14.05.2009

20.08.2014 10:51

Advantages

• Effective
      • "Easy to use"
      • "Amazing scent"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Go nuts for this massage bar

As I’ve probably mentioned before – actually, as I’ve DEFINITELY mentioned before – I am a huge fan of the store Lush, and am trying to sample every single product that they make. One of the recent products I’ve tried is the Nutts Massage Bar.

I originally came across Nutts when it was released as part of the Retro range. Retro is a selection of products which were discontinued from stores, but which were not unpopular enough to get rid of completely. They are only available from the Lush website, not in-store. In recent years, the company have begun to release different products from Lush’s past every month or two as limited editions, so that customers are able to sample a variety of different products. I purchased the Nutts Massage Bar from the website at a price of GBP5.95.

What’s a massage bar? Well, as the name suggests, they are designed to be used during massages. Lush intend them to be used with a partner, hence why there are a lot of them released on Valentine’s Day! The idea is that your partner rubs the bar between their hands and massages you, releasing relaxing or energising scents and moisturising your skin at the same time. Having said that, you can just use the bars as solid moisturisers, which is what I tend to do.

The name for this particular bar could have been derived from the fact that it is made from coconut oil (which is very moisturising). However, the bar is described as having a masculine scent, so maybe the name comes from something else! The bar is also made with cocoa butter, another very moisturising ingredient. It also contains tahini, vetivert oil, sesame oil, vanilla and tonka absolutes, sandalwood oil and bergamot oil. This combination of rich, sweet and uplifting ingredients has resulted in an amazing smell – I love the scent, it reminds me of cakes. It has a nutty aroma with a bit of sweetness.

The bar is designed to melt at just above room temperature, meaning that it will begin to melt fairly soon after holding it in your hands. This is definitely a luxurious bar for intensive moisturising, as it would be a bit rich for every day. I rub the bar between my hands to release the oils then massage into my skin.

The bar feels very luxurious to use and doesn’t irritate my skin at all. It keeps my skin soft for several hours, which is impressive as I do suffer from dry skin on my body. The smell is amazing too – I can still smell it the next day on my skin. Though the smell is described as masculine, I feel it is more of a general unisex smell that anyone can enjoy. Though the bar melts fairly quickly, I don’t need to use much at any one time, so it is lasting me for ages.

I highly recommend this massage bar. It smells amazing and is really effective.

14.08.2014 10:32

Advantages

• " original idea"
      • "Impressive longevity"

Disadvantages

• "Disliked the scent"

Not for me

My favourite store, Lush, makes beautiful and unusual fragrances under the name Gorilla Perfume. Many of these are available in-store, with some exclusively online. Several are available in sample sizes, and you can also buy two miniature sets each containing eight of the sample size fragrances.

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is Ladyboy.

*Packaging*
      Each fragrance comes in a tiny 2ml glass vial and the bottles are laid out together in a recycled cardboard case. It is also possible to buy the fragrances in the following forms:
      - Solid GBP7.50
      - Spritzer GBP15
      - Atomiser GBP31

The concentrations are different depending on the form purchased, with the atomiser having the highest concentration. The perfumes come in the standard black packaging which is slightly dull, but fits in with the Gorilla Perfume ethos of concentrating on the perfume rather than the packaging. Some people on the Lush forum have found that perfume can leak from these black bottles, but I haven’t had any problems.

*The Fragrance*
      Ladyboy fragrance is very unusual, with notes of violet, banana, seaweed and amber. Lush describe it as a ‘carnival’, a complex and sophisticated scent that is unconventional.

*My Experience*
      When I first tried this perfume I thought it smelled like a bit of a mess to be honest. There was a musty scent but I could detect a couple of the notes, such as violet and amber.

The longevity of the scent was impressive. It lasted nearly all day although it had fainted slightly by the end. I couldn’t work out whether I liked it or not. Sometimes I thought it was a bit boring and musty, but at others I caught a whiff of sweetness which I quite liked.

*Conclusion*
      I’m not sure what I really think about this one. I probably wouldn’t buy it for myself as I just wasn’t keen. Sometimes I thought I quite liked it, but overall this is not one for me!

07.08.2014 11:55

Advantages

• "Adds gloss"
      • "Effective balm"
      • "Lovely packaging"

Disadvantages

• "Too thick and glossy for under lipstick"
      • "Loose lid"

Lovely balm in a vintage tin

I love lip balms and always seem to have quite a collection! One balm I’ve been using lately is the Rose & Co Strawberry Crush Glossy Lip Balm.

Rose & Co is a retro-inspired brand based in Haworth, England, though their products can be bought at a number of UK outlets and online. This particular product is a lip balm, made with almond oil to moisturise, and scented with strawberry.

The balm comes in a white round tin with a red polka dot pattern and a picture of a woman dressed in vintage clothing. The tin is attractive but unfortunately it is fairly loose – so it’s not one to carry around in your handbag as the lid will certainly come off. Luckily, I use this lip balm at work so this isn’t a problem.

Inside, the balm is red and has a lovely fresh strawberry smell. To use, simply scoop some balm out with your finger and apply to your lips. The red is much lighter on the lips and doesn’t really add colour, though it does add a very faint red tint.

The balm is very moisturising and feels pleasant on. It lasts for quite a while too, a couple of hours on the lips. I do suffer from dry lips so it’s nice to find such an effective product.

I don’t think this is the best balm to use under lipstick as it is a bit too thick. It is best for a light natural look.

Strawberry Crush costs around GBP4-£5 from stores such as House of Fraser, Amazon and Fragrance Direct, as well as several independent outlets. It’s pricey, but you do get a lot of balm (20g). Recommended, so long as you don’t want to carry it around in your bag!

04.08.2014 11:16

Advantages

• " versatile"
      • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• "Not effective enough to use regularly"

Coconut deodorant from Lush

In my favourite, store, Lush, a while ago I made some new purchases, one of which was the Coconut Powder Deodorant.

***What is Lush?***

Lush is a store that makes toiletries and cosmetics, using natural and organic ingredients where possible and minimising packaging where they can. It started out as a mail order company called Cosmetics to Go, but this failed and the new store, Lush, opened in Poole, Dorset. Later branches of the shop opened in London and beyond, and there are now Lush stores all over the world. As well as in store, you can also buy products from the website, www.lush.co.uk. There are similar websites for many different countries including the USA, Japan and Germany.

***About the Product***
      As well as the bath products for which they are famous, Lush make a number of other products including deodorants. One of these is the Coconut Powder deodorant, priced at GBP4.20 for 50g. It resembles talc, and comes in a black shaker. Lush describe it as the world’s only deodorant with powdered coconut milk, creamed coconut, dessicated coconut and coconut oil. That’s a lot of coconut! These ingredients are designed to help the deodorant stay in place all day. The bulk of the product is made up of tapioca, cornstarch and magnesium carbonate, ingredients which help to absorb moisture, and it is scented with vetivert and benzoin.

The deodorant is easy to apply but it does make a bit of a mess – it is white powder after all. Only a tiny amount is needed at any one time, so it lasts for ages. I’ve tried it as a deodorant and also as a talc.

As a deodorant, I’ve stuck to using it at night after my evening shower. This is because it makes a bit of a mess, which doesn’t matter when I’m about to get into my pyjamas, but can be a problem when I am getting dressed in the morning. I find it reasonably effective at keeping my underarms dry, so long as I don’t undertake too much exertion. It is very gentle on my skin and makes it feel more moisturised. I really like the scent of this – the coconutty aroma is very pleasant. I wouldn’t want to use it as an everyday deodorant, but for light use it's fine.

I also use the product as a talc, and it is particularly good in the summer owing to its deodorising properties – not strong enough for the underarms, but fine for the rest of the body. It helps to keep my skin dry in the heat, and makes my skin feel soft. The scent of the product is lovely, and very refreshing and summery.

Overall I do recommend this Coconut Deodorant Powder. It isn’t strong enough to be used as a proper deodorant – unless you are one of those lucky people who hardly sweat at all – but it is ideal to use on the rest of your body, especially during the summer.

01.08.2014 12:12

Advantages

• "Interesting ingredients"

Disadvantages

• "Too musky"

Not for me

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is 1000 Kisses Deep.

- Solid GBP6
      - Spritzer GBP12
      - Atomiser GBP24

*The Fragrance*
      Lush describe this fragrance as complex and developing. It is made up of top notes of mandarin and osmanthus blossom, with undertones of myrrh and labdanum. I thought this combination of ingredients sounded rather bizarre, so I was looking forward to trying it.

*My Experience*
      When I first smelled this I thought it was really unusual. It was light and fresh with a musky undertone, unlike anything I’ve ever smelled before.

Unfortunately, after a while the scent dried down and became a bit too musky for me. It did last for ages, but I wasn’t that keen on it.

*Conclusion*
      1000 Kisses Deep is a good value fragrance and I would recommend it if you like unusual perfumes. Unfortunately, it isn’t really for me.

30.07.2014 12:42

Advantages

• "Unusual and refreshing"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Love this perfume!

I bought the second set, including many of the perfumes originally called ‘B sides and rarities’. These are scents from Lush past and also from B Never, Lush’s sister company which closed a few years ago. I have sampled all the perfumes in turn and I am going to review them all. The fragrance I am going to review today is Love.

- Solid GBP 7.50
      - Spritzer GBP 15
      - Atomiser GBP 31

*The Fragrance*
      Love has the following main notes: lemon, lemongrass, bergamot, apple, cinnamon, cassia, jasmine, rose and ylang ylang. I think it sounds very appealing and fresh. The scent has been used in some Lush products such as the limited edition Love Potion massage bar for Valentine’s Day and the Dragon’s Egg ballistic.

*My Experience*
      I was familiar with the fragrance as I had previously sampled products scented with Love, so I was excited about trying it. On first application, I loved the fresh apple scent. Apple is a very unusual smell to have in a perfume, so this is a really unique fragrance.

Over time, the scent dried down and the spicy cinnamon aspect of the fragrance became more prominent. The perfume lasted for ages on my skin – a good few hours – and I also found that it lingered on my clothes. I kept getting whiffs of apple – it reminded me of mulled cider!

It’s the sort of smell you can enjoy all year round – the freshness is ideal for summer, while apples can also evoke autumn and cooler weather, cinnamon being reminiscent of Christmas.

*Conclusion*
      I love ‘Love’ perfume! It’s an unusual and refreshing scent. I would be happy to pick up a full size bottle and would recommend it to anyone who likes unusual, fruity scents.

28.07.2014 10:01

Advantages

• "Unusual packaging"
        • "Unique scent"
        • "Interesting concept"

Disadvantages

• Pricey
        • "A bit too unusual?"

An unusual perfume from Lush

Lush, my favourite store, recently released a number of new fragrances under the Gorilla Perfume name. These look, smell and sound very different to other perfumes from both Lush and other brands, with unusual ingredients and concepts, and I was very intrigued when I heard about them.

***Bottle***
        The new fragrances come in clear glass bottles of all different shapes and sizes. I really like these bottles as they are unusual and attractive. The perfume itself is a reddish-brown purple shade while the purple and white label shows a security camera.

***The Fragrance***
        The Bug is one of the most bizarre perfumes in the new Gorilla fragrance range. It was inspired not by creepy-crawlies, but by the modern culture of surveillance, security cameras and computers tracking us even as the Internet becomes an even more important part of our lives. How would you begin to transform this very abstract concept into a scent? The perfume is suitable for vegans.

Perfumers Mark and Simon Constantine were inspired by “the paranoia of the modern age”. Designed to both attract and repel, the fragrance contains a woody base of sandalwood and a lighter note of elemi, as well as labdanum resinoid which creates an unsettling aspect to the scent. Other ingredients are included as part of the ‘secret’ perfume.

***My Experience***
        I wasn’t keen on The Bug the first time I smelled it. I thought it was rather unremarkable and musky. However, judging from past experience I knew I should try it on my skin before making a final judgement. I did so, therefore.

I thought the scent was a bit strong and overwhelming at first, but within a few minutes it settled down into an unusual aroma, with a sweet aspect alongside a pepper note. I find it hard to describe this scent, as it is so different from anything else I’ve tried, and anything else in the Lush range. Like Hellstone, I found it quite unsettling, but kept sniffing my wrist nevertheless – there was something compelling about it. It was pleasant and wearable, but edgy.

The fragrance lasted around four or five hours on my skin, which is reasonable enough. After a while some of the uniqueness of the perfume seemed to vanish, and it started to become a normal spicy-sweet scent. I still liked it, however – an unusual concept for a perfume.

***Price and Availability***
        The Bug is widely available in Lush stores and via the website. It comes in a range of sizes ranging from 7g (GBP14) to 92g (GBP65). The fragrance isn’t the cheapest, but it is less pricey than some of the others available in the new range.

***Conclusion***
        I really liked The Bug, much more than I had expected to. I don’t know if I would buy it as I don’t know if it is really ‘me’. However I do think it is a worthwhile fragrance, an abstract concept rendered as a scent, and I do recommend trying it.

24.07.2014 10:49

Advantages

• "Feels luxurious"
        • "Moisturises well"
        • "Amazing scent which lingers"

Disadvantages

• Price

Amazing body lotion, shame about the price

I subscribe to the monthly Birchbox which means I get a selection of cosmetics and toiletry samples every month. Last year, one of my samples was a Molton Brown Ylang-Ylang body lotion, which I received the month after my Molton Brown body wash. I’d never tried the Molton Brown range before – I usually use Lush or Soap & Glory – so I was intrigued.

Molton Brown describe their ylang-ylang products as follows: “London via Madagascar: Secrets from rainforest. Sun-warmed woods. Dozing heads beneath the canopy.” They certainly sound very appealing! The lotion is a pale lilac colour and is made with a “skin pampering complex” to firm, comfort and hydrate. It is scented with Madagascan ylang-ylang perfume oil.

Like the matching body wash, this body lotion smells amazing – it has a relaxing, sophisticated ylang-ylang scent. It is also pricey - GBP25 for 300ml. I use it after showering with the matching body wash, and only a small amount is needed. The lotion doesn’t irritate my skin at all, but sinks in really easily. The smell is amazing – I don’t have to apply any perfume for at least four hours, as the scent really lasts.

The lotion is fairly light, but still manages to be good enough for my dry skin. It doesn’t offer an intensive moisturising experience, but is ideal as a luxurious everyday body lotion.

Just like the body wash, the body lotion is a pricey product that is nevertheless of very high quality. Despite the high price, I would consider purchasing a full-size version.

23.07.2014 10:21

Advantages

• "Amazing scent that lasts"
          • "Lathers well"
          • "Lovely product"

Disadvantages

• "Very expensive"

An amazing body wash but a bit pricey for regular use

I subscribe to the monthly Birchbox which means I get a selection of cosmetics and toiletry samples every month. Last year, one of my samples was a Molton Brown Ylang-Ylang body wash. I’d never tried the Molton Brown range before – I usually use Lush or Soap & Glory – so I was intrigued.

A 300ml bottle of this body wash costs GBP18, so this stuff isn’t cheap. It contains Madagascan ylang-ylang, yuan zhi (which apparently helps to rebalance) and warm cedarwood oil. I love the scent of this product – it is rich and calming, having some of the properties of lavender without actually smelling of lavender. Ylang-ylang is often used in perfumes and this shower gel certainly smells sophisticated and luxurious. It is a lovely rich dark purple colour too.

Only a small amount of the gel is needed in the shower, and it lathers up brilliantly on the shower puff. The scent is very strong and it is really comforting to use. It doesn’t irritate my skin at all, and in fact feels slightly moisturising.

After use, I can smell the shower gel on my body. I am really impressed with how the scent lasts. I do need to use body lotion afterwards (I have the matching Molton Brown lotion) but not as much as usual.

Apparently the body wash can also be used in the bath – I haven’t tried this as I have lots of Lush stuff to use up. I think it would work really well though, judging by the lovely relaxing scent.

Despite the price of this shower gel, I would consider treating myself to a full size bottle. As my introduction to the Molton Brown brand, it has made me consider sampling some of the other items in the range – I’m definitely impressed!

• Lush The Brightside / Bath & Shower / 16 Readings / 14 Ratings
            21.07.2014 10:49

Advantages

• " lasts ages"
            • " soft"
            • " lots of bubbles"
            • " turns water orange"
            • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• Price

Bright and cheerful bubble bar

I’m a huge fan of the store Lush, and I am trying to sample every product that they make. This includes limited edition products as well as the permanent range. Lush often release special products for events throughout the year, including Easter.

The Brightside Bubble Bar first came out last Easter, and obviously proved popular as Lush have brought it back this year. It is slightly pricey at GBP4.25, but it is the same size (and shape, and design) as the Comforter and Blue Skies & Fluffy White Clouds bubble bars. These are larger than normal bubble bars, and you can get at least 4 baths from them.

The design is a swirl of dark and light orange, onto a circular bubble bar. You can break or cut a bit of the bar off to use it in your bath. It’s attractive, bright and sunny – perfect for welcoming in the warmer weather. The scent matches too – described as the ‘triple orange’ fragrance, it is light and citrusy, consisting of Sicilian mandarin oil, tangerine oil and bergamot oil – all uplifting, citrusy, pleasant scents.

The bar is suitable for vegans and is made with a base of sodium bicarbonate and cream of tartar. It does contain sodium laureth sulfate, which can cause skin irritation in some people, so it’s worth being aware of this.

When I use this, I use a quarter of the bar, crumbling it under running water into my bath. When I’m ready to get in, there is a huge mound of creamy white bubbles and the water is a lovely orange shade. The citrus smell is lovely and inviting.

In the bath, the water feels silky-soft and it doesn’t irritate my skin at all. The bubbles last ages and so does the scent. It’s a lovely uplifting bath. After getting out, my skin feels soft and isn’t dried out although I do still have to apply moisturiser. The scent lasts a couple of hours too, although it is fainter.
            I love this product and I’m glad it’s back this year. It’s refreshing and uplifting, a lovely luxurious bath experience. Recommended!

• Argan Oil Shampoo / Hair Care / 9 Readings / 8 Ratings
            17.07.2014 13:29

Advantages

• Gentle
            • Effective
            • Moisturising
            • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Lovely shampoo for a bargain price

I am signed up to websites such as Groupon and Living Social and occasionally purchase a bargain. One such was a haircare package including shampoo, conditioner, protection spray and hair mask. Today I will be reviewing the shampoo.

The packaging is brown and green which isn’t the most obviously appealing but it does fit in with the perception of argan oil as being a natural, ‘earthy’ product. What I do like about the packaging is the shape and form. It has a flip top lid, meaning that it is easy to open and close even with wet hands. The lid is actually on the bottom, meaning that even when the product is running out, gravity ensures it’s still easy to get it out of the packaging.

The tube is a 250ml one and the shampoo contains Moroccan Argan Oil extract. Argan oil seems to be a big thing at the moment and it supposed to be really good for your hair. It is claimed that the product nourishes and moisturises the hair, leaving it shiny, smooth and healthy.

The shampoo is easy to use: simply apply a small amount to wet hair, lather and rinse as you would with any other. It is white and has a light, slightly mousse-y texture. It has a faint pleasant smell but this doesn’t really last on my hair.

This shampoo does an excellent job. It cleans my hair with no issues, and doesn’t irritate my scalp. It keeps my hair moisturised without making it oily. When used alongside the matching conditioner, the results are superb. I colour my hair and have not noticed this stripping the colour at all – it is very gentle.

Apparently this is now available in Poundland, which makes it an excellent bargain as far as I am concerned. Based on the excellent price and the high quality of the product, I definitely recommend it.

• Lush Furze / Perfume & Fragrance / 15 Readings / 13 Ratings
            14.07.2014 10:59

Advantages

• "Reasonably priced"
            • "Gorgeous unusual scent"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Lovely summery perfume

***Bottle***

The perfume is a clear liquid while the label shows yellow flowers on a green background, emphasising the natural world the fragrance is intended to evoke.

***The Fragrance***

Many of the new Lush scents, including Hellstone, Flower''s Barrow and Devil''s Nightcap which I have previously reviewed, have been inspired by English lore and landscapes. Furze is one of these. Head perfumer at Lush Simon Constantine moved into a new home and noticed a prickly furze bush ? also known as gorse ? outside his back door. Furze is a typically British plant ? it actually flowers in the winter ? and it is claimed that the Vikings used it to brew beer. It is also supposed to have magical properties, protecting from curses if grown on your property.

The fragrance is suitable for vegans.

Neroli oil is used as a light uplifting element in fragrances, while mimosa absolute is a soft floral. The perfume also contains warm vanilla and fresh coconut aspects.

***My Experience***

I first tried Furze on a day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon. I liked the fragrance straight away. It was lighter and fresher than a lot of the new fragrances, with a feminine aspect. It reminded me of ?proper'' perfume, yet it still had a unique twist.

At first when I applied the perfume I could smell a coconutty scent with a hint of floral. I was surprised with how much I liked it ? although I like the smell of coconuts, and use body products with the scent, I never thought I''d like a fragrance that smelled of it. However, I thought this was lovely. Also surprising was the fact that the scent reminded me of English landscapes in summer, rather than a tropical island! The coconut in here is really tempered and set off by the floral aspect, so I recommend you giving it a try even if you''re not keen on coconut.

The perfume lasted a good few hours on my skin, and even longer on my scarf. The coconutty scent faded slightly as the day wore on, giving way to a sweeter, warmer, more vanilla-like scent, albeit still with a fresh floral aspect.

***Price and Availability***

Furze is widely available in Lush stores and via the website. It comes in a range of sizes ranging from 7g (GBP10) to 92g (GBP40). I''m very pleased to note that it is one of the cheapest of the new fragrances ? I hope to buy a bottle in time for the summer!

***Conclusion***

Furze is natural and evocative, yet smells like a ?proper perfume'' and is unusual in its makeup. Highly recommended.

• Lush Cosmetic Lad / Skin Care / 11 Readings / 11 Ratings
            11.07.2014 11:38

Advantages

• " moisturises skin"
            • " lovely scent"
            • "Sinks in well"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly too heavy if used everyday"

Not just for men!

If you read my reviews regularly, you''ll know that I am a huge fan of the store Lush. I am trying to sample every product they make, including some of their less than obvious items!

As well as bath products and soap, Lush make a lot of skincare products including cleansers, toners and moisturisers. These can vary in price quite widely, depending on the ingredients. This moisturiser costs GBP11.75 for a 45g tub, which makes it one of the cheapest products. I find that Lush moisturisers last absolutely ages, with only a tiny amount needed for each use, so I was happy to pay this and after using all of the product, I feel it was worth the price.

As the name suggests, Cosmetic Lad is primarily aimed at men. Recognising that men often shave every day, it contains chickweed, which is said to contain antihistamine and be calming. Honey is antiseptic, while lavender water helps to soothe the skin. Linseed mucilage helps to keep the skin soft, while fresh wheatgrass acts as an antioxidant. Aloe vera is a soothing ingredient which can help to soothe the skin, while African marigold helps to reduce redness and regenerate the skin. As well as a moisturiser, the cream can be used as a shaving cream.

Obviously, as a woman, I don''t shave my face! However, the soothing, gentle ingredients in the cream can help all skin, particularly sensitive skin like mine. It is also a fairly light cream, so I hoped it would be good for my slightly oily skin.

As it contains honey, the moisturiser is not suitable for vegans. However, like all Lush products it is suitable for vegetarians.

It also contains tangerine and sandalwood essential oils. This means that the moisturiser smells amazing, fruity but slightly spicy. I thought it smelled a bit like a chocolate orange. It is white in colour and has a pleasant feel and texture, not too thick and not too thin.

On application, the moisturiser sinks in really well, and proves a good base for makeup. It doesn''t leave my skin feeling oily or greasy. If I use it for too many days in a row it can feel a little heavy, but it''s good for the winter, and on the plus side it effectively deals with any dry patches I might have. It keeps my skin feeling soft and smooth, and doesn''t cause spots or anything like that; it doesn''t massively help reduce shine on my skin, however.

In conclusion, this isn''t a perfect moisturiser but it is a very good one: effective, gentle and good value. Not just for men!

08.07.2014 15:47

Advantages

• " good battery life"
            • " reliable"
            • "Massive memory"

Disadvantages

• "Need to use iTunes with it"

Super iPod with a memory capacity that can't be beaten

MP3 players seem to becoming less and less popular these days, perhaps because many people just listen to music using their phone. I''m not one of these people though: I much prefer a specialist dedicated music player. A couple of years ago, I got one for Christmas. I eschewed the most up-to-date touchscreen iPods in favour of the Classic edition, which seems practically retro!

*Statistics*

This is the 6th generation iPod Classic. It comes in black and silver; I have the silver, made with durable anodised aluminium and polished stainless steel. It has 160GB; is able to store up to 40,000 songs or 25,000 photos; and can store up to 200 hours of films and TV shows.

Though the iPod classic was already a few years old when I got it, I was easily able to obtain accessories for it, including a protective skin, faux leather sleeve and compatible music player (the iGhost).

*Music*

The main reason I wanted this iPod was as a place to store, and be able to listen to, all my music without exception. It easily does that: it can store up to 40,000 songs so I very much doubt I will ever fill it! You need to have iTunes on your computer to be able to sync your music. After initial confusion and trouble, I''ve got used to iTunes and I actually find it very easy to manage and navigate.

*Photos*

The iPod holds up to 25,000 photos. As there is so much space, I have set mine to automatically sync every single photo on my computer. This is very handy and makes using it hassle-free. It is possible to connect your iPod to a TV and look at your photos this way, however I have never done this.

*Using the iPod*

I find the iPod very easy to use and I like the click wheel function. When I want to listen to a particular album, I tend to navigate using the Cover Flow function which helps me recognise albums easily. Otherwise, I can navigate to a particular artist or album, as well as a genre. It is also possible to save playlists. I like the Shuffle function as it adds an element of surprise to my music listening.

The battery life is pretty good, not the 36 hours that is claimed, but since when did any electronic device ever live up to the promised battery life? I can use it for a week on and off (not constantly of course!) without needing to recharge.

***Conclusion***

Despite a few minor issues ? such as the lack of a plug charger ? I really like my iPod. It might seem a bit ?old skool'' now but it works for me and it''s been going for a couple of years with no sign of breaking. For sheer space it can''t be bettered, and overall it''s a great device.

07.07.2014 12:07

Advantages

• Sturdy
            • Cheap
            • "Looks good"
            • "Easily assembled"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

A highly recommended little bookcase

As I''ve probably mentioned in earlier reviews, I have a particularly small bedroom, and I am always trying to think up ways to give myself more space. A while ago I had the idea of buying a small bookcase to put on my desk, so that I could line up my books and other items without taking up floor space. I chose this Baby Bookcase from Argos, cheap at only GBP12.99, and with dimensions small enough to suit me. These are: H82.5, W65, D16.5cm. The bookcase comes in various finishes: I chose the beech as it would go best with the furniture already in my room. I reserved it on the website and went to pay and collect. It was pretty heavy, but I was able to carry it by myself. Luckily the Argos store is only about ten minutes from my house! The weight is 9kg so this should give some indication of how heavy it is to carry. It comes packed flat, which makes it much easier to carry, but obviously then you need to assemble it yourself... ***Assembly*** It is recommended that 2 people assemble the bookcase, but I managed to do it myself, and seriously, if I can do it then anyone can! I didn''t find it too arduous either. There was some balancing of the various panels needed in order to screw them together in a non-wonky manner, and when it came to hammering the nails into the back panel to fix it to the structure, I may have got some of the nails a bit skewiff. However, the unit is still standing over a year later so I must have done something right! It''s a lot sturdier than the price might suggest. The 2 shelves (thickness 1.5 cm) are adjustable ? you select where you want them to go before fixing them to the unit. It''s worth pointing out that the shelves don''t actually stick to the unit ? they balance on some sticky-out things (don''t know the technical term!) inside the unit. This isn''t a problem when you''re using the unit ? it has shown no sign of being unsteady or collapsing ? but if you move it, it''s best to remove the shelves before doing that. ***Use*** I''ve used the bookcase to store books, DVDs, makeup, storage boxes and a jewellery box, as well as other random items. I haven''t paid attention to any weight limits, but I''ve put quite a lot on the shelves and they show no sign of wear or damage. The wood seems to be hardwearing, and any marks can easily be removed with a cleaning cloth. ***Conclusion*** I definitely recommend this ''baby bookcase'' if you need a small bookcase to store books, DVDs or anything else you would like to keep on display. It''s attractive, sturdy, long lasting ? and very cheap! Highly recommended.