Elaineee

Member since: 06.12.2009

User that trust you
      09.07.2014 13:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

Edible

I buy Tesco Everyday Value bolognese pasta sauce because it''s the cheapest sauce in there. The sauces in Tesco are expensive and if I''m not in Home Bargains buying decent stuff for half the price, then I make do with Value. The cost of 39p for a standard 440g jar is enough to make me repeat buy, even though it''s not the nicest sauce I''ve ever had.----- The sauce has had the ''Everyday Value'' overhaul and has done away with the red, white and blue label; now it''s cream coloured with relevant red and orange food pictures but is still easy to spot on the shelf. You can see through the jar that the sauce is not as dark red or herbie as it''s contemporaries, but for the price (which is considerably cheaper than even Tesco''s own at over a pound), that''s what I''d expect.----- I mainly use these sauce''s with cooked pasta without mince meat for a quick tea, it only takes 5 mins to heat through on the hob. In the pan a layer of what looks like shiny oil forms on top which is a tad off putting, however it''s low in calories at only 29 per quarter jar.----- This sauce really is quite thin, we had it last night with pasta and it was like pouring soup over it. It tastes okay, not overly flavoured but recognisable as a bolognese sauce. Not many herbs, but nonetheless you can taste them- not really any pieces of tomato to speak of either. It doesn''t say so on the jar but I have used this as a sauce with mince, it''s okay but having to cook it a while to reduce it does take some of the flavour out of it.----- In a nutshell it''s orange coloured bolognese soup with not much flavour, but for the price it''s worth a go----- 3 stars from me

24.06.2014 18:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good Value

I first came across Carex Aloe Vera Handwash at my sisters house, liking it I bought my own. It retails at about 1 pound 80 p but I paid about a pound from Asda, it''s on offer often in various stores. Carex is made by Cussons so paying a pound for a proper brand is really good value. There are quite a few different varieties to choose from all available for about a pound. I wanted an anti bacterial because we seem to have an endless round of colds in our house. The plastic bottle is square and neatly shaped to ease holding. It contains 250 ml of green coloured hand wash gel. The label claims it will kill 99.9 % of all germs with a new formula which works in seconds. The handwash is dermatology tested, contains moisturisers and supports the skins natural anti bacterial defences. I''m not sure what Aloe Vera smells like but the handwash smells sweet, not heavy or floral just pleasant. The pump action is easy to depress; one or two quick pumps is enough to create a good lather for a thorough hand washing. whilst using it feels cooling and refreshing on my dry hands. Although the handwash contains moisturisers it doesn''t feel particularly moisturising at the time of using, but my hands are some what softer after use. I like this hand wash, it does leave my hands feeling really clean with no residue or lingering smell on my skin. I don''t know if the claims of killing germs are true and I can''t say we get less colds but I''ll give it the benefit of the doubt. The claims of it being refreshing are true and it definitely doesn''t dry or irritate. 5 stars from me

18.06.2014 11:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cheap little candle

I like a scented candle but don''t like spending too much cash on them. Poundland sells candle jars so seeing a recognisable brand in there I thought I''d buy a few. I picked up a Skittles Melon Berry among others. Other fragrances they do include Strawberry, Cherry and Raspberry. Also Home Bargains have them sometimes as does the 99p Store. The candle jar comes in a bright green box, it''s open at the sides so you can smell it first. The box states this little 3 oz candle will burn for 25 hours, it has the usual precautions on there for example don''t burn your house down by leaving lit alone. The lime coloured wax fills about half the jar so I thought 25 hours was pushing it, however this is about right; I manage a week out of it using it for a few hours a day. The jar is ridged and looks quite pretty. Lighting it is easy, the wick is long enough and the jar small enough to reach into even when burnt low down. Once lit the candle takes about 10 minutes to get the wax pooling and the scent going. The fragrance is very much like skittle sweets, it isn''t a strong fragrance but thats okay as it freshens the room adequately enough; in fact sometimes heavy smells can be too much. These candles are nice for a background fragrance. They burn down well too, smoke free with a steady flame. I would recommend them especially at that price, and will buy more again myself. 4 stars from me.

16.06.2014 12:14

Advantages

• "Gets out creases quickly"

Disadvantages

• Heavy

Too heavy

I bought the Russell Hobbs Steamglide Pro a while ago. I''d been looking at it in Tesco but 45 pounds was more than I wanted to spend, so seeing it in B&M for 20 pounds I got one. I did look at it in store but getting it home I was surprised and disappointed with how big and heavy it was. The iron has all fancy features: (taken off the website) Ceramic soleplate, Dry / steam / spray & burst, Powerful vertical steam, Self cleaning function, Easy fill large 350ml transparent water tank, Variable steam, Vertical steam, 2m power cord, Soft touch handle & dial, Anti-calcium function, 40g continuous steam, 95g shot of steam, 2400 watts. The only feature that interested me was the ceramic plate and of course the high wattage, I figured the hotter the better. In use: There''s a cover over the fill hole- took me a minute to find where the water went....it holds a fair amount of water which is good that I don''t have to keep filling it during the ironing, but bad that it makes the iron heavier than it already is. Once plugged in (with a short lead by the way) it heats up incredibly fast; it reaches it''s hottest in minutes. Theres a dial to adjust the temperature but again it took me a bit of fiddling about with, it seems to turn anti clockwise but that might be just me. You can adjust the iron from steam to stream easily with a slider button on the top; there is also an extra steam button. I find the steam not constant, I have to move the iron about to make it do it- I''m not keen on the spray either. This iron says it will steam vertically which it does but it''s awkward to hold up. During ironing even at it''s hottest temperature, which is very hot, I find the iron spews and drips water onto the clothes, which annoys me especially as one of it''s features is non drip.....During ironing the clothes smell like they''re getting singed but fortunately they''re not, it just smells like they are. It''s not all bad though it is very good at getting creases out, the ceramic plate glides along with ease. One favourable thing about being large is a big surface area plate which irons a bigger area making it quicker to iron things. The self cleaning feature is handy as is the anti calcium. In conclusion I don''t like this iron, it''s too large I''ve never used such a big iron and it''s taken a bit of getting used to. It''s heavy too, if I had problems with my wrists or something I wouldn''t be able to use it. I''d give it 5 stars for ironing out creases but 2 for the awkwardness of it so 3 stars from me.

04.06.2014 11:28

Advantages

• Worked

Scholl Athletes Foot Powder, Great stuff

My son was suffering from sore itchy painful toes. The skin between his them was flaky, dry and red. They itched so badly that it was causing him to bleed through scratching. I looked it up on the internet and it matched the description for Athletes Foot. I think the problem was that his feet got wet in the particular trainers he was wearing and he'd kept them on all day; also these trainers were making his feet sweat. Athlete's Foot is a fungus called dermatophytes which lives in and feeds off dead skin, it multiplies under the right conditions causing a problem. Shoes etc can make your feet moist, warm and dark this can cause the fungus to grow. I'd heard of it and knew what it was but what I didn't know was that it is can be passed from person to person from towels etc. Also I didn't know that it can get infected so needs treating. I popped to Tesco to have a look for something to treat it with. I bought Scholl Athlete's Foot Powder containing Tolnaftate antifungal for 3 or 4 pounds. I settled on a powder rather than a cream, as I thought it would be easier to just sprinkle this over his toes and could be put directly in socks- also cream can feel uncomfortable on, especially when wearing socks. It does state that in severe cases use in conjunction with Foot Spray or cream. This powder is not for use on under 3 year old's, and not for your scalp. It is as easy to use as I thought it would be, you wash and dry your feet twice a day and apply. I just sprinkled liberally onto the affected area at bedtime and popped some in his socks; it didn't irritate the skin. The powder just looks like talc, not quite as 'smooth' as body talc but not rough either; it doesn't smell of much. I was amazed at how quickly it worked over night really. Certainly within days his feet were back to normal, the fungus didn't grow back either. I threw the trainers away and only on one or maybe two occasions has he suffered from this since, but again a quick sprinkle gets rid of it. I would recommend this foot powder, it worked. I still have almost a full tub left so good value for money too. 5 Stars.

02.06.2014 20:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

George Foreman

I use my George Foreman grill most days so it's had a lot of use over the year I've owned it. Mine is a 5 portion family sized grill, it is large and takes up quite a bit of space (about a foot and a half square). It cost 35 pounds reduced from 80 in Tesco. This model has no temperature control it just switches on at the wall, a red light comes on and then goes off when it's ready. It's really simple to use, the grill is 2 non stick plates that sandwich food together. You just put the food on the bottom plate and close the lid- there's no clip the lid just rests there, no oil is required. The top plate isn't as hot as the bottom plate therefore I do need to turn the food over during cooking, the middle of the grill is hotter too so the food needs rearranging. At the front of the grill (which is sloped) you place the plastic tray to catch the fat. The plates are large, I can fit 8 rashers of bacon at a push on it, 6 burgers or 4 toasted sandwiches. I use this grill for anything that would normally go under the grill, or 'flat' oven bake foods. I even spread out frozen chips, waffles, potato shapes anything like that. I cook a full fry up on there including mushrooms and eggs. It comes out okay a bit dry maybe, but perfectly cooked and the 'fried' egg is more successful than you'd think... I just crack an egg on it, it stays more or less in shape and the yolk doesn't burst either even with the lid closed on top of it. This grill will toast bread (eventually) and make toasted sandwiches- I've given up on toastie makers and just use this now. Anything I cook comes out well, except thick sausages need slicing lengthways as they cook too quick on the outside; as do thick chops. In particular frozen battered fish, chicken, pork chops or burgers (loads of fat comes out of chops them but it doesn't impair the flavour) do well on this grill. I don't have a sticking problem with any of them, they lift right off. This is a much cleaner way to cook than using the grill or oven, there's no spitting either. The machine is easy to clean, I give it a wipe when it's still warm and food bits just slide right off. The non stick is still like new in fact the whole thing is like new. I've looked at the electricity meter spinning around whilst the grill is on so it does use quite a bit of power, however food cooks quickly much quicker than the oven. Frozen fish takes less than 10 mins, it takes a lot longer than that in the oven, so in that respect it is more economical to use. I recommend one of these and wish I'd bought one sooner.

30.05.2014 09:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cadbury Crispello

I bought these from Tesco, the offer was 3 bars for 1.20. The chocolate bars normally retail at 60p each so 3 for 1.20 works out at 40p. Crispello Double Chocolate are made by Cadbury and are less in calories than other bars of chocolate but that's because the whole 'bar' is only 30g. In comparison a Mars bar has 449 cals per 100g these have 560 cals per 100g which surprised me as Crispello seem much lighter than a stodgy Mars bar. They come in the usual Cadbury style purple wrapper which describes them as 'Thin crispy shells with a creamy chocolate filling covered in Cadbury milk chocolate' Inside the wrapper you get three individual chocolates being 55 calories each. These are nice although the milk chocolate covering them is a tad thin (but is recognisable as Cadbury) as is the wafer shell or 'pouch' but the wafer is crispy and tastes good. I'm not normally a fan of wafer type chocs but I like these. Inside the wafer shell is a firm chocolate cream which is nice as it's not a strong sickly flavour although maybe a bit salty, mind you the whole bar tastes a bit salty to me but according to the nutritional information they're not high in salt- the sugar per piece is 4.1g the salt 0.02g; no one else here thinks they taste salty though. The individual pieces are about an inch square so not filling even the three together. These are vegetarian but may contain nuts and egg. I would recommend them if you like kit kat style snacks. However they're not worth 60p.4 stars from me

• Tesco Quality Tea Tea Bags / Tea / 12 Readings / 11 Ratings
            30.05.2014 01:30

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

Nice tea

I bought own brand Tea bags because there wasn't really any offers on in Tesco for tea when I was in there. These cost me 1 pound 20 for 80 bags which is considerably cheaper than the other brands (except Tesco value of course but I've learnt my lesson there- it's horrible). These are available in larger sizes but there isn't much of a saving in buying them only about 10 pence.

The tea comes in a red box but updated from the DooYoo picture above, it's now 'Original' rather than 'Quality tea'. The box says medium strength- I thought only coffee had that rating besides I would say this tea is strong to medium, certainly compared to other tea's.....Inside the tea bags are round and kept in two foil bags they're easy to open and easy to separate. The bags seem robust enough and I haven't had a burst one yet, the tea inside is leafy rather than powdery and as such doesn't leave 'scum'.

These tea bags don't take long to brew, in fact they seem to have more body than my usual Typhoo, Tetley or PG Tips and reach my prefered strength much quicker. This is a nice looking golden tea once the milk is added too, and not orange like a few cheaper brands I've tried.

Is it nice though?

I've had this tea before and wasn't impressed, however it tastes different than it used to. It's not a bad brew, can be too strong if over stewed (even for me and I drink builders tea) but on the whole it tastes rather nice. I never add sugar to tea yet some brands are sweet, this isn't. One thing I'm not to keen on is that it occasionally gives me a dry mouth after drinking it making it sometimes not as thirst quenching or smooth as it's contemporaries, but nevertheless I will buy it again.

09.05.2014 00:17

Advantages

• "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

Nice shower gel

I was in Aldi last week and needed a shower gel. I bought Aqua V Sea Minerals, I thought I had paid about 60p but I've just looked on their website and it's 42p- this is not a bad size either at 300ml. There isn't much choice in Aldi however I was attracted by the smell so would have bought it anyway. The bottle is see through with a flip top lid and pour control hole. The shower gel itself is turquoise and clear not creme. The label says that it's a family shower gel, has real extracts and is PH balanced for the skin and dermatologically tested. I like this shower gel it has a nice consistency, not thick it's more on the thin side and not blobby at all making it easy to pour. I don't need much for a full wash maybe a 50p sized blob. It lathers up well with a sponge and rinses off quick this also smells delicious- I can't put my finger on it but reminds me strangely of shandy the scent doesn't linger on the skin though which is a shame. I feel clean after I've used this, don't know about energised and revitalised as the label claims although it is refreshing..... I've not been irritated whilst using this nor does it dry my skin out but it doesn't moisture it either (but it doesn't say it will) just cleans it. I will be buying this again and like the sound of their Lavender version so will try that one too. 5 stars from me.

08.05.2014 17:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

Waste of money

I like plug in air fresheners and I like a bargain 'Pure Air' being both I bought a couple. These are available from all sorts of bargain stores and pound shops, mine were 99p each from Home Bargains. There are several different fragrances and refill packs again for around a pound. I bought a fruity one and Winter Pine as it was christmas time and I thought it would make the room smell like pine needles from a real tree. The plug in air freshener is a plastic unit with pins to plug into the mains wall socket, into which you slot a small plastic bottle of fragrance; the idea being that once plugged in and warmed up the scent is released. It is not very big about 5 inches or so high. The plug in is not bad quality but one of the fragrance bottles did break when I opened it. The bottle has a screw top which you take off, revealing a stick that pushes into the plug in part, this snapped off. I put the screw top back on and then when the other bottle ran out I took the tops off and filled the unbroken one with the fragrance oil from the broken one. To be honest I needed have bothered because they are rubbish anyway. The plug in claims it will last 28 days and it does and subtly fragrance the room for this time- it doesn't. It doesn't smell of anything, neither of the them do. After assembling, plugging in and waiting nothing really happened. I would plug one in in the morning and come home late afternoon and still nothing much; you have to smell the actual unit to get any scent at all, which is not bad with the fruit one but the pine one smelt like toilet cleaner....They are a waste of money it is better to spend an extra pound or so to buy a decent one that works. 1 star from me.

03.05.2014 21:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Healthier way to cook.

I've only owned one of these a year or so but wish I'd bought one sooner. They are so much more convenient than using a traditional grill. It's more economical because food cooks much quicker; healthier too loads of fat runs out of chops etc and solidifies in the catch tray. There are a few different models to choice from ranging from around 20 pounds. Mine is just a no frills model, however some have a grill feature for melting cheese. I'd recommend one of these grills.

06.04.2014 12:11

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None on the whole"

Cheap in price but not in flavour

Pasta can expensive from Tesco's so when I'm not buying in -say- Home Bargains I tend to buy Everyday Value and have done on numerous occasions. Value do two types of dry pasta, long spaghetti and penne both 500g which is the same size as most average bags (unless you're buying the large sizes); I generally buy penne. Their spaghetti costs only 20p and penne 29p so really cheap, especially when Tesco own can be a pound for the same amount (Napolina is half price until 15/4/14 but still 65p).

The pasta comes in a plain see through bag with the 'Everyday' rebrand depicting relevant pictures. The bag is no more likely to rip open than other pasta's I buy. Penne is inch long tubes with ridges, the pasta itself is slightly duller in colour than dearer pasta's but nothing to write home about. I wanted to know what was different about the pasta to warrant such a difference in price between brands so I looked up the ingredients: Everyday Value- Durum Wheat Semolina, Soft Wheat Semolina with 355 calories per 100g as sold. Expensive brand- 100% Durum Wheat Semolina with 362 calories per 100g as sold; so similar.

To cook you just put in a large pan of boiling water for 10-12 minutes then rinse in boiling water, I find it takes a bit longer than this however. The tubes swell up to twice their size and a 500g bag of this will feed four people in our house; five at a push. But what do they taste like? Pasta really, when covered in sauce you can't tell much difference between these and more expensive brands; although there is a slight difference (value have a stronger taste) but I only noticed this after eating expensive pasta. The tubes are also firmer in comparison- but that's not a bad thing.... I would recommend this particular pasta because at that price there's not much difference in taste really, only the fact they take a bit longer to cook and slightly firmer in texture.

05.04.2014 11:14

Advantages

• £1

Disadvantages

I would recommend this shampoo

I discovered Creightons 'Beautiful' Brunette in Poundland a couple of weeks ago, I was looking for shampoo for brunettes as I felt my hair was looking dull and losing it's dark colour- even though it's natural and not dyed. The cost is obviously pound in there and I can't say how much it is in other places as I haven't seen it elsewhere. It's cheap enough however the amount of shampoo is 250 ml.

The shampoo comes in a flip top tube rather than a bottle, slightly different than the DooYoo picture; it's 'Beautiful' Brunette rather than 'Perfect', looking online the two seem the same. The tube has an award winning sticker dated 2013. This shampoo is 'Extra moisturising to hydrate, soften, and smooth dry and damaged hair'. It claims that it will brighten both natural and colour treated hair.

You just use it like normal shampoo, wet hair lather through rinse off- there's no instruction to leave it on for any amount of time, so I don't.

This is a nice shampoo, thick in consistency and a dark golden brown in colour. It's not as dark as I would expect for a brunette shampoo, for example it's lighter than Henna shampoo's- the shampoo doesn't stain anything including skin. The smell is light, I suppose it just smells like shampoo but a little fruity rather than floral and the scent doesn't last on my hair.

About a 50p size is enough to wash my hair, it lathers up okay and rinses out easily without leaving a residue. During rinsing my hair doesn't feel dry or strawlike, although it is squeaky clean and I don't lose any hair down the plughole. The shampoo hasn't irritated my scalp during or after use.

This shampoo leaves my hair feeling soft and hydrated, I don't need conditioner. It doesn't flatten my hair down or make it lank or greasy, infact the opposite is true; it has body and shine once dried. But does it enhance the colour? it's hard to tell really, I've used this for two weeks and I do think it does look richer. Obviously it doesn't cover any stray grey hairs but it wouldn't as it's not a hair dye.

A tube of this has lasted two weeks with only me using it, every other day or maybe every three. I would recommend to try it and have already bought another tube.

28.03.2014 22:31

Advantages

• "Great in sauces"
                      • Cheap

Disadvantages

Everyday Tomatoes are good for adding to sauces

I like to buy Value where possible; some stuffs good, some bad- but mostly edible if a bit iffy. Their tinned tomatoes I would say are pretty good. They cost 34p for 400g so a full sized can. Tesco own brand are 55p for the same amount and the 'proper' brands can be well over a pound so quite a difference.

The tin is now updated from Tesco Value blue, white and red and now is beige with relevant food stuff pictures- easy to spot on the shelf. These have no ring pull so need a tin opener to open. The label has enough info such as 'Produced and packed in Italy', 'No artificial preservatives, flavours or colours'. There aren't many ingredients, no herbs or anything just as follows:

Tomato (60%),Tomato Juice ,Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid)

The expensive brand for comparison:

Chopped Tomatoes (70%),Tomato Juice ,Citric Acid

So really just a tin of tomatoes and only 10% less tomatoes than the dear brand. The tin once opened isn't swimming in tomato sauce, but pretty much full of chopped tomatoes, quite mushy but that's fine for adding to sauces. I tend to use this in spaghetti bolognaise or I add a can to curry to bulk it out, plus it adds a bit of extra nutrition without the kids noticing. I have served these as part of a fry up, they're a bit soft, chopped on the small side and have a bit thinner juice than I would like, but again they're perfectly nice. These aren't strongly flavoured or as rich or as red as some of the more expensive brands but do taste like tomatoes.

I recommend this product for cooking with and for 34p they're good value. 5 stars from me.

15.03.2014 21:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bit bland but perfectly edible

I like to buy cheaper where I can and often buy Tesco 'Everyday Value' especially since their upgrade from plain 'Value'. I often re buy their baked beans even though they're not the best of things; it's the price of 24p for 420g that entices me.......

24p doesn't sound particularly cheap (they used to be 9p then shot up a bit at a time) but it's all relative, compared to other brands these are dirt cheap. Tesco own brand are 45p and the leader is 68p for 415g so quite a difference.

The tin is updated from the old 'Value' white, blue and red it's now beige with relevant red and orange food pictures depicted; the label just says 'Everyday Value' baked beans in tomato sauce. The ingredients and other info is printed on the back, these contain no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. It's easy to spot on the shelf amongst the other brands but not so easy to spot at home if there are several Everyday Value tins in the cupboard- especially if their backs are turned. There isn't a ring pull opening on these, they need to opened the old fashioned way with a tin opener.

Everyday Value ingredients:

Haricot Beans (44%), Tomato Puree (27%), Water, Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Onion Powder, Paprika, Maltodextrin, Spice Extracts. Half a can contains 182 calories and 1.3g salt.

Leading Brand:

Beans (51%), Tomatoes (34%), Water, Sugar, Modified Cornflour, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Spice Extracts, Herb Extract. Half a can contains 164 calories and again 1.3g salt however this can is slightly smaller by 5g.

So Everyday Value contain less percentage of beans, this is evident when you open them; the tin is full to the brim with sauce maybe an inch layer before you get to the beans. The sauce is really thin and doesn't coat the beans rather the beans just swim in it. I have to use a slotted spoon to dish the beans up, otherwise the plate or toast is soaked with it. It tastes okay, it's not richly flavoured however it does just about taste like a tomato beans sauce.

The beans themselves are firm and small, again they taste okay- a little hard but okay. The tin isn't packed with them but enough for two portions.

For the cost of them they're good enough, not the nicest of beans but certainly edible.

3 stars