Elaineee

Elaineee
  • Comments

Member since: 06.12.2009

06.04.2014 12:11

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None on the whole"

Cheap in price but not in flavour

Pasta can expensive from Tesco's so when I'm not buying in -say- Home Bargains I tend to buy Everyday Value and have done on numerous occasions. Value do two types of dry pasta, long spaghetti and penne both 500g which is the same size as most average bags (unless you're buying the large sizes); I generally buy penne. Their spaghetti costs only 20p and penne 29p so really cheap, especially when Tesco own can be a pound for the same amount (Napolina is half price until 15/4/14 but still 65p). The pasta comes in a plain see through bag with the 'Everyday' rebrand depicting relevant pictures. The bag is no more likely to rip open than other pasta's I buy. Penne is inch long tubes with ridges, the pasta itself is slightly duller in colour than dearer pasta's but nothing to write home about. I wanted to know what was different about the pasta to warrant such a difference in price between brands so I looked up the ingredients: Everyday Value- Durum Wheat Semolina, Soft Wheat Semolina with 355 calories per 100g as sold. Expensive brand- 100% Durum Wheat Semolina with 362 calories per 100g as sold; so similar. To cook you just put in a large pan of boiling water for 10-12 minutes then rinse in boiling water, I find it takes a bit longer than this however. The tubes swell up to twice their size and a 500g bag of this will feed four people in our house; five at a push. But what do they taste like? Pasta really, when covered in sauce you can't tell much difference between these and more expensive brands; although there is a slight difference (value have a stronger taste) but I only noticed this after eating expensive pasta. The tubes are also firmer in comparison- but that's not a bad thing.... I would recommend this particular pasta because at that price there's not much difference in taste really, only the fact they take a bit longer to cook and slightly firmer in texture.

05.04.2014 11:14

Advantages

• £1

Disadvantages

I would recommend this shampoo

I discovered Creightons 'Beautiful' Brunette in Poundland a couple of weeks ago, I was looking for shampoo for brunettes as I felt my hair was looking dull and losing it's dark colour- even though it's natural and not dyed. The cost is obviously pound in there and I can't say how much it is in other places as I haven't seen it elsewhere. It's cheap enough however the amount of shampoo is 250 ml. The shampoo comes in a flip top tube rather than a bottle, slightly different than the DooYoo picture; it's 'Beautiful' Brunette rather than 'Perfect', looking online the two seem the same. The tube has an award winning sticker dated 2013. This shampoo is 'Extra moisturising to hydrate, soften, and smooth dry and damaged hair'. It claims that it will brighten both natural and colour treated hair. You just use it like normal shampoo, wet hair lather through rinse off- there's no instruction to leave it on for any amount of time, so I don't. This is a nice shampoo, thick in consistency and a dark golden brown in colour. It's not as dark as I would expect for a brunette shampoo, for example it's lighter than Henna shampoo's- the shampoo doesn't stain anything including skin. The smell is light, I suppose it just smells like shampoo but a little fruity rather than floral and the scent doesn't last on my hair. About a 50p size is enough to wash my hair, it lathers up okay and rinses out easily without leaving a residue. During rinsing my hair doesn't feel dry or strawlike, although it is squeaky clean and I don't lose any hair down the plughole. The shampoo hasn't irritated my scalp during or after use. This shampoo leaves my hair feeling soft and hydrated, I don't need conditioner. It doesn't flatten my hair down or make it lank or greasy, infact the opposite is true; it has body and shine once dried. But does it enhance the colour? it's hard to tell really, I've used this for two weeks and I do think it does look richer. Obviously it doesn't cover any stray grey hairs but it wouldn't as it's not a hair dye. A tube of this has lasted two weeks with only me using it, every other day or maybe every three. I would recommend to try it and have already bought another tube.

28.03.2014 22:31

Advantages

• "Great in sauces"
          • Cheap

Disadvantages

Everyday Tomatoes are good for adding to sauces

I like to buy Value where possible; some stuffs good, some bad- but mostly edible if a bit iffy. Their tinned tomatoes I would say are pretty good. They cost 34p for 400g so a full sized can. Tesco own brand are 55p for the same amount and the 'proper' brands can be well over a pound so quite a difference. The tin is now updated from Tesco Value blue, white and red and now is beige with relevant food stuff pictures- easy to spot on the shelf. These have no ring pull so need a tin opener to open. The label has enough info such as 'Produced and packed in Italy', 'No artificial preservatives, flavours or colours'. There aren't many ingredients, no herbs or anything just as follows: Tomato (60%),Tomato Juice ,Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) The expensive brand for comparison: Chopped Tomatoes (70%),Tomato Juice ,Citric Acid So really just a tin of tomatoes and only 10% less tomatoes than the dear brand. The tin once opened isn't swimming in tomato sauce, but pretty much full of chopped tomatoes, quite mushy but that's fine for adding to sauces. I tend to use this in spaghetti bolognaise or I add a can to curry to bulk it out, plus it adds a bit of extra nutrition without the kids noticing. I have served these as part of a fry up, they're a bit soft, chopped on the small side and have a bit thinner juice than I would like, but again they're perfectly nice. These aren't strongly flavoured or as rich or as red as some of the more expensive brands but do taste like tomatoes. I recommend this product for cooking with and for 34p they're good value. 5 stars from me.

15.03.2014 21:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bit bland but perfectly edible

I like to buy cheaper where I can and often buy Tesco 'Everyday Value' especially since their upgrade from plain 'Value'. I often re buy their baked beans even though they're not the best of things; it's the price of 24p for 420g that entices me....... 24p doesn't sound particularly cheap (they used to be 9p then shot up a bit at a time) but it's all relative, compared to other brands these are dirt cheap. Tesco own brand are 45p and the leader is 68p for 415g so quite a difference. The tin is updated from the old 'Value' white, blue and red it's now beige with relevant red and orange food pictures depicted; the label just says 'Everyday Value' baked beans in tomato sauce. The ingredients and other info is printed on the back, these contain no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. It's easy to spot on the shelf amongst the other brands but not so easy to spot at home if there are several Everyday Value tins in the cupboard- especially if their backs are turned. There isn't a ring pull opening on these, they need to opened the old fashioned way with a tin opener. Everyday Value ingredients: Haricot Beans (44%), Tomato Puree (27%), Water, Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Onion Powder, Paprika, Maltodextrin, Spice Extracts. Half a can contains 182 calories and 1.3g salt. Leading Brand: Beans (51%), Tomatoes (34%), Water, Sugar, Modified Cornflour, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Spice Extracts, Herb Extract. Half a can contains 164 calories and again 1.3g salt however this can is slightly smaller by 5g. So Everyday Value contain less percentage of beans, this is evident when you open them; the tin is full to the brim with sauce maybe an inch layer before you get to the beans. The sauce is really thin and doesn't coat the beans rather the beans just swim in it. I have to use a slotted spoon to dish the beans up, otherwise the plate or toast is soaked with it. It tastes okay, it's not richly flavoured however it does just about taste like a tomato beans sauce. The beans themselves are firm and small, again they taste okay- a little hard but okay. The tin isn't packed with them but enough for two portions. For the cost of them they're good enough, not the nicest of beans but certainly edible. 3 stars

• Toms Classic / Shoes / 34 Readings / 33 Ratings
              14.03.2014 16:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

Surprisingly hard wearing and charitable too!

My daughter was a huge fan of Toms when they first came out a couple of years ago and has several pairs. I bought them mainly from Republic/USC (well the shoe company in there) as they have quite a few different styles to choose from; however I'm reviewing Toms classic in grey. She doesn't wear them anymore so I do- yes I'm too old for them but my goodness they're comfy! These little 'pumps' are expensive really costing around £30 but for every pair you buy one gets donated to someone in need. I've just looked Republic's website and the Toms are on sale starting at £17.50 down from 35. They come in a eco looking shoebox with a flag or shoe bag inside with the shoes. These are flat summer slip on canvas pumps or more accurately espadrilles, with a brown leather/suede insole. They are a bit more stylish than bog standard pumps having been sewn with a sort of cross over front and the toe area is neatly tucked under giving some detail; you know they're Toms by the little square label on the side. The insole is super thick and shaped with a firm arch and plenty of air holes. The bottom is thin white rubbery stuff with some grip, this has now however worn down. It doesn't matter about the sole being thin because the insole is so thick- you can't feel the ground as you walk. Obviously these are suited for dry days as they aren't waterproof, saying that though they're quite warm when cooler but on the other hand keep my feet cool when hot. These are a size 4 and perfectly true to size, a tad tight when first worn but they soon seem to mould to your feet. Lately shoes have been feeling narrow on me but these don't. I can't believe how comfy they are, they have been worn loads and hammered but the only wear is the underneath. They've not come apart or frayed despite being cotton although are a little tatty at the heel. They do get dirty, I put her purple ones in the wash and the colour has faded, they tend to bleach in the sun too. The grey ones however seem to have kept their colour better. The only complaint I have is that the inner sole of one of them has come loose and moved back when I walked so I've had to glue it....... 5 stars from me

14.03.2014 15:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Doesn't keep me dry

I have been using Soft and Gentle Anti Perspirant and deodorant for the last few weeks. The one I bought is 'Soft Jasmine & Coco Milk' I bought it for around a pound from Home Bargains or B&M. Tesco have 250ml for £2.50. You can get a 50ml roll on in the same fragrance for a pound. The can is tall and slim and curves in towards the top making it easy to hold. It's white and pink with a small pink lid and a small nozzle; it looks like a large body spray can. The can has plenty of info printed on including directions- shake and spray 15cm from underarm. Tesco website states it lasts 48 hours my can says 24 so maybe they've reformulated it. However my can is available from cheap stores. It gives a good spray but is a strange one. As it goes on it doesn't seem to cover my skin very well, I end up having to spray loads on. It does dry quick though and doesn't leave powder residue on my underarms or clothes. Smells nice too- very floral. But does it work? No I'm soaked now, it may deodorise because I don't particularly smell of body odour but it definitely doesn't keep me dry. I've put it on this morning after a shower and have not only had to reapply but I've had to wash again too; which isn't easy as the deodorant clings to me as it leaves like a greasy layer.......I've not been active and I'm not hot either........My skin under my arms feels dry- not dry as in nice and dry but dry as in dry skin, it feels tight too. It feels really uncomfortable under there, not itchy just damp....... I'd never buy this again it doesn't agree with me!

14.03.2014 10:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

I'm not happy......

I don't like to review things I haven't had for long as I wouldn't be able to comment on it's longevity, however when something is rubbish and breaks quickly then I think it's fine to write an early review. I don't have much luck with toasted Sandwich Makers, I'm yet to find one that doesn't actually break in some way within months. The Russell Hobbs one I bought a few weeks ago is a record breaker. Like I say I haven't had it long and it's already lost it's non stick. The Toastie Maker was £15 in the CO OP a place I don't normally go in. The machine comes in a posh mainly black box, inside the box you get the toastie maker and the instruction leaflet. I don't normally read these things but because of my track record with non stick thought I'd better had. It does actually have some do's and don'ts regarding caring for the non stick that I didn't know about (some which are obvious for example: don't use knifes etc on the plates and wipe with a soft cloth) such as don't over cook or use low fat spread as this can burn, resulting in burnt plates and damage to the non stick. I've been careful this time when making my sandwiches but have still had problems....... The Sandwich Maker looks good, better quality than most I've had. It's black with a stainless steel top. There's a green and red light to tell you when it's ready. It just plugs straight in the wall to switch on- there's no on off button or temperature control. It's neat but doesn't look that small, but when I opened it up I was surprised and disappointed at how small the sandwich plates actually are. It looks smaller than my broken Tesco Value one, but I've just measured them side by side and they're the same. I'd hoped the plate area would be bigger but it's not. I don't know why they make these things so small, they don't fit normal sized bread so the slice's need to be cut down by atleast and inch. Cheap value bread slice's fit better but it's still a squeeze to cook two butties at a time; most of the time I cook one sideways on. It takes no time at all to heat up, about the time it takes me to make up the sandwich. The sandwich needs to be placed in the machine butter side up to help prevent sticking and to give a crispy texture. The lid is then forced down over the sandwich and clipped in place; I like to open it now and again to let any steam out otherwise the toastie can be a little soggy. The sandwich is cooked in about 6 mins so quick enough. Care needs to be taken not to over stuff with filling as it just oozes out and more often than not out of the back making it difficult to clean later. Talking of cleaning, I find all of these machine's a pain to clean (the plates have corners and crevices in order to seal and shape the sandwich) this model is no different. The first few uses with this left me very impressed, the sandwiches came out really nice. They just lifted off the plates with ease. However with a bit more use they started getting more difficult to lift out. On closer inspection I see the black non stick is picking off, not rubbing off or being scraped off by an implement as I haven't used one; it's lifting off on it's own.......there are 4 bare metal areas showing, one being an inch long sliver. I'm taking this back this week for a refund..........

12.03.2014 17:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lot of watch for the price..

I'm not a big fan of watches but they're a necessity. However I do like a Kahuna watch; they're a bit different, fun and quirky. The watch I have is the 'Ladies White Plaited Strap' and was bought for me last year for my birthday. This watch is £35 on the Kahuna website and Debenhams but is available from other retailers cheaper than this, Amazon have it for £20. I love the look of this watch when worn, the picture doesn't do it justice. Kahuna watches are described as 'extreme' wristwear on their website and are definitely designed with surfing in mind, even so I don't feel too old to wear the particular watch I own. The watch is really good quality for the price, it has a thick real leather strap, stainless steel case in a brushed gold colour, a matching buckle and a really nice face. The thick strap is about an inch wide and more white than beige, it's half beige on the inside with Kahuna written in gold. The design is a weave or plait for the front half of the watch with stitching detail, becoming solid toward the buckle. The strap has enough holes to fit my slim wrist. The buckle is also tarnished/ brushed gold coloured and is robust looking and nicely shaped. The face is a rectangular plain white with gold lines for numbers, 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock are accented in 'orange'; the case size is 30mm with a 9mm thickness which sounds large but it doesn't look like a man's watch or anything. The clock hands and second hand are also gold coloured and 'sword' shaped making it easy to see the time. The protective lens is tough mineral for scratch resistance; I would say this works as my watch face isn't scratched. The watch is quartz battery powered and not wind up, the pin and wheel are to adjust the time. I haven't had to change the battery yet however it's not expensive to get them changed in a shop. This watch is water resistant and according to some websites at a depth of 10 even 30 meters! however the official Kahuna website says slash proof......so I shan't go diving in it anytime soon......besides the most 'extreme' water sports I do is the washing up. It has been splashed once or twice when washing my hands with no damage to the watch. Kahuna watches are casual on the whole but I think this one could pass as quite smart too- depending on what it's worn with. I'm pleased with this watch it looks good on and is comfortable to wear. I can wear it for long periods without it irritating me or my wrist getting all sweaty. More importantly it's a good time keeper that doesn't need adjusting. Being white I'd expect it difficult to keep clean but all it needs is a quick wipe now and again and it comes up like new. Kahuna watches come with a 2 year guarantee which I haven't had to put to the test. I like it so much that I'm on the look out for another one, not because mine has broke but because I've 'mislaid' it over the last week......... 5 stars from me

12.03.2014 11:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

An okay vacuum for £39.99 howeverI wouldn't be happy paying anymore

I've not had this vacuum cleaner for very long but have already experienced problems with it so thought I'd review it. I bought the 'Cleanview Bissell Cylinder' vacuum from Argos for less than £50; at the moment their website (March 2014) is showing it at £39.99 so another good reason to review it. The vacuum comes in a good quality box in white and blue. This is a biggish box and a bit awkward to manage- it's not too heavy though. Inside the box you get the vacuum and an instruction leaflet; not that I needed instructions vacuums are pretty much straight forward to assemble and use. I don't think it came with crevice tools, there was just the vacuum, tubes and floorhead in the box. This vacuum body is a small size H27, W34, D24 cm, weight 4.54kg so reasonably light; the tubes seem narrow and a bit on the short side, the floorhead is small too (well the suction hole anyway). The actual vacuum quality is good but the hose and floorhead not so good; it does look stylish, modern and neat though. On the top of the hose is a hole with a plastic slider which can be moved to cover or uncover the said hole to adjust the suction power; fully closed gives the strongest. This is bagless and boasts a 2 litre dust collection capacity although the filter in there is large and takes up most of the room. The 'bag' is like a big clear plastic measuring jug if you like which clips in. The vacuum has the features you'd expect from the average vacuum; adjustable floorhead for carpets and hard floors, foot operated automatic cord rewind- I find the 5 metre cord on the short side though. This little vacuum has 250 air watts (whatever that means) for comparison purposes the Dyson Animal has 280 air watts. The vacuum hasn't got features like HEPA filtration it's just a basic sucker upper. In use; the good bits: The vacuum is relatively easy to assemble the dust collection jug clips on the body, then the hose twists into the top of dust collection jug. The 'jug' is easily emptied by unclipping the hinged bottom. It's got strong suction enough to lift the rug up, it can pick up most things with ease including mini dog biscuits and the like and hair (although my carpet sweeper lifts more hair!) it's light to carry around and it's neat enough to sit on the stairs. The floorhead is quick to adjust with your foot and seems to work on different flooring. I find the cord retraction works fast and well. The bad: I don't vacuum constantly or industrially- just average- but this vacuum cleaner constantly blocks up with dust (probably due to it's small size), larger debris goes straight into the collection jug; it appears to be dust and hair that blocks it.....thus the filter needs removing and cleaning often. To remove the filter you have twist it out of the dust collection jug which is a pain rather than difficult; rather a time consuming inconvenience. The filter has a cover which needs to be removed then I knock it about to clean the dust out. The vacuum always sounds blocked even when it's not, it screams at me. Once it was totally blocked and I couldn't figure it out, the hose, floorhead nor filter where blocked- turned out the blockage was where the dust collection jug meets the actual vacuum body. Second issue for me is that the floorhead won't stay on and I can't see why, can't see breaks anywhere. This has been resolved by taping it on which is okay but limits it's movement on the floor. This vacuum has large wheels but doesn't seem to wheel about, the thing is always falling over and getting dragged around. All in all it's got really good suction, is cheap to buy, easy to assemble and doesn't take up much room. However the vacuum gets easily blocked, the cord is short, it drags around after me and the hose seems narrow. 3 stars from me

11.03.2014 13:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great alternative to the clumpy vacuum

I had, had my eye on a carpet sweeper for ages so took the plunge last year after seeing a Bissell one for £11.99 in Home Bargains. This is just a basic sweeper, it's called 'Sturdy Sweep'. On the Home Bargains website the sweeper featured is 'Carpet Mate' and is different to the one I bought off the shelf so I can only presume the one I have is newer in store. The box it comes in is good quality, glossy and blue and white. It's small, compact and light making easy to carry around and buy. The box has all sorts of information printed on it. The sweeper claims to be suitable for all floor types: Good for pet hair. Suitable for hard and carpeted floors. Sweeping width 23.5cm. Sweeper size W23.5, D7cm. Sweeper height (which isn't adjustable) 110cm Inside the box you get the sweeper and the handle which comes in pieces- this is the only assembly required. I was a bit worried that I'd have to put the bristle brush in etc but no it's already to go. Also prior to buying the sweeper I'd looked up reviews where people had said the handle was rubbish and came apart during use and how much better a screw rather than a push together handle would be- this model is screw together. It was dead easy to do this and also easy to screw the handle to the center of the sweeper head, none have come loose even during use (well maybe a little). The sweeper head itself has one large bristle brush running down the middle, small bristle tufts in each corner and a dust collection pan either side of the brush. To empty the pan there's push sections which you just lightly depress to pop open; it's all no bother to do. The sweeper is totally manual you don't plug it in, charge it or use batteries; it's alot quieter than a vacuum too. But does it work? Yes. I have a variety of flooring, wood, tiles and carpets. This is so simple to use you just push it backwards and forward over the floor. The dust and debris get flung up into the pans on the forward and backward motion. On the carpet I was surprised at just how effective it is at collecting bits. When I open the pans I'm always surprised at how much stuff is in there, particularly hair that wasn't visible to my eye; just goes to show that the vacuum cleaner must miss a lot of hair stuck in the carpet. Going by how much human hair it collects I should imagine pet hair wouldn't be a problem for this sweeper. It does get pretty close to the edges of the room if you sweep along it, obviously it's not as thorough as a vacuum hose attachment but it's close enough for me. The sweeper handle lies down flat so you can get it under the beds and stuff which is handy for storage too. The wooden and tiled floor is a different story though, it tends to just push bits around, don't get me wrong it picks up eventually but it's quicker for me to get the broom out. I would recommend having this sweeper, especially for a quick whip about in relative silence. It's much easier than getting the vacuum out, plugging it in and dragging it 'round; the sweeper justs waits in the corner ready for action- it's much lighter than the vacuum as well. I've had for months and upto now it's still like new. There doesn't appear to be any wear on the brush and the pans are still secure. 4 stars from me it would be 5 but it's not so good on the wooden floor or kitchen tiles.

• Tesco Value Cornflakes / Breakfast / 31 Readings / 29 Ratings
                  10.03.2014 21:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Huge improvement on what they were

If I'd reviewed these a few years ago they would have got 1 star (0 isn't an option) because they were horrible. However I braved them again this week as they've had an 'Everyday Value' overhaul. Costing 31p for a big 500g box, the bargain hunter in me had to have them especially as the big brand costs over £2 for the same amount. Before Tesco Value had their upgrade the cornflakes came in a bag. Since becoming Tesco 'Everyday Value' they come boxed, with the cornflakes kept fresh in an inner bag- so a big improvement already. The box is cream coloured with orange and red relevant pictures; it has loads of info on there too, including nut and gluten allergy warnings, ingredients and just general stuff. These are fortified with vitamins and minerals, contain no artificial preservatives, flavours or colours and there's no MSG or hydrogenated fats- sounds healthy. The Tesco website says they contain 112 cals per 30g serving without milk, the box says 115 cals but I won't quibble over 3 cals....when served with 125ml of semi skimmed milk add 63 cals, this works out about the same as the brand leader. The ingredients of these and the leader are somewhat similar: Top Brand: Maize, Sugar, Barley Malt Flavouring, Salt, Vitamins & Minerals: Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 Everyday Value: Maize, Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt Extract, Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 The difference between them mainly is the size of the flakes, these are really small- not broken up large flakes just small in general. Everyday Value are also thicker than the big brand cornflakes. The colour is a bit different too, these aren't as golden. Taste wise they just taste like cornflakes, maybe not quite as nice as the dear ones and a little bitter, but on the whole they're okay. For 31p they're a brilliant buy and far improved on what they used to taste like; I couldn't even get away with making chocolate cornflake cakes. The bottom of the bag appears not to have loads of broken bits and powder and that's always a good thing. 4 stars from me

10.03.2014 14:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

mmmm...... More makes me happy than I thought!

I'm a miserable bugger and I'm never happier than when I'm moaning about something, but to be fair it doesn't take much to make me happy; I have simple needs! When the kids are happy then I'm happy, and I'm always happy when they arrive home safe. Listening to music, but I have to be mindful because favourite songs played too much, are soon not favourites anymore....which disappoints me...... Box sets- I love a Box set, I got Game of Thrones for my birthday and am very happy with that! I don't know what's wrong with everyone in this house but they groan when I get a Box set out....especially Alien 1, 2, 3 and 4.... Looking up interesting facts makes me happy, I can't even watch tele without googling what's on, it's ridiculous really and a shame I forget most of the interesting facts I've looked up.. I'm always happy to see my sister, nieces and nephews.. Judge Judy and Modern Family make me happy. Pot Noodle for my tea makes incredibly happy, as does a bag of Salt and Vinegar crisps- having both for tea followed by a Caramac or a Walnut Whip is my idea of a three course meal.. Museums and Stately homes make me happy, I just love the quiet atmosphere of these places. The sea makes me happy, it's just so tranquil looking at it; and I love the smell of it. I could quite happily mess about in rock pools for hours, days even; infact thinking about it I'm never happier than when I'm using the boulders on the beach to walk out to sea. Saving money makes me happy, I'll probably be buried with it.. I just hate spending it (especially on myself), if I won the Lottery I'd be the poorest millionaire with the most expensive stuffed mattress....on the other hand I love buying things for the kids that I know will make them happy... Bargains or finding that elusive item on the Christmas list- especially on sale, I love it when Christmas comes together and I never think it will but it always does! I also love giving pressies particularly when I know it's something a person wants.. When the car is running properly, I feel very happy when I don't have to worry about breaking down..although there's always a chance.. likewise it's always a relief to get the MOT done and the tax disc sorted for another year. Not having to get up on the weekend, I can't lie in anyway because it gives me a headache; even so it's nice to know I don't have to get up if I don't want to. A sneaky kip on the sofa makes me happy too. Thunderstorms and heavy downpours make me happy, snow- I love the snow but only if I'm not driving anywhere and it doesn't stick around for too long, I soon tire of it. I like the early dark nights but they're not really convenient as life's easier when it's light; nevertheless I do love cosy dark nights.. ...and of course when everyone is happy and well.

10.03.2014 11:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Just a few things that make me me I suppose!

Everybody is different but I do have funny quirks that people I know don't seem to have! 5 isn't a big list but anymore and I might get taken away........... In no particular order.. 1. I hate the phone to the extent that I will avoid it at all costs, even if it innocently rings I'm jumping about...if I don't recognise a number on caller display I won't answer it- besides half the time it's a machine cold calling to see if it's a live number, so not answering it stops pest calls eventually!!I hate the Bin man as well.....and as for the Postman forget it.....although he does catch me saying ridiculous things when the back door's open. Thinking about it I wonder if I hate these things because potentially they may bring bad news or in the Bin man's case I've thrown something away by accident......mmm one to think about- maybe I recieved really bad news in a past life.... 2. I get upset when I see animals suffering (especially sea life Dolphins, Sharks etc), but I can't help looking these things up; Youtube especially contains some pretty graphic stuff. I just can't believe what people are capable of. Another strange thing about me is that I used to be a veggie for many years then became cynical in my old age and started eating it- even though I hate to and won't even kill insects; I felt terrible putting woodworm killer down...eating meat gives me the creeps yet I still do it.....I'm a hypocrite.. 3. I love Sharks- I'll spend hours looking up facts, pretty sad I know......A perfect day for me is visiting Sea Life centres, I can watch the Sharks for hours....I blame Jaws for that one, when I was little I cried when he got blown up......everyone thought I was nuts.......still do........ 4. I'm not very social and I hate the pub, I don't drink so pretty pointless being in there......the noise, the crowds, the smell- not for me... 5. I don't do fashion and makeup but to be honest I put that down to laziness on my part, but I do pride myself on being scruffy; besides it saves a fortune! So that's a few things that some people would find strange!!

28.02.2014 22:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Creamy long lasting shower gel

I bought 'Cussons Pure Moisturising Shower Cream' from Home Bargains a few weeks ago. It's a large 500ml bottle for only a pound. I chose it above the others on the shelf as I liked the sound of shea butter and liked the smell when I sniffed it. The bottle is large and a bit awkward to hold, it has a flip top lid with a pour control hole. It's see through plastic so handy to see how much is left. The label is plain with a honey comb pictured; it tells us that the shower cream is 'Pure, moisturising with shea butter and honey'. The shower cream is mild enough for the whole family, is dermatologically tested has a skin friendly PH level and will leave skin clean, soft and smooth. The ingredients list on the back is extensive as usual. The shower cream itself is very pale peach in colour and thick in consistency, it blobs out of the bottle. Not much is needed, I only use a 50p sized dollop and that creates enough creamy bubbles for my whole shower. However this is dependant on whether or not I use a sponge or scrunchie- using a flannel or nothing requires more as it doesn't lather very well on it's own. What strikes me most is the fragrance; in the bottle it smelt nice, hard to describe although not honey or shea butter. It smells highly perfumed whilst showering floral almost. This strong scent stays on my skin for a while and to be honest I'd rather it didn't. Fortunately it dies down after an hour or so but is still evident- I think it's the strongest smelling shower gel I've used in a long time. This moisturising shower cream isn't sticky despite containing shea butter and honey it leaves no residue whatsoever. I feel really clean after using this and my skin does feel soft and smooth, somewhat moisturised and is not drying at all. I've not been irritated by this stuff except by the smell............ For the strength of the scent I'm knocking a point off so 4 stars from me.

28.02.2014 19:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

These scourers are good value even at full price

Spontex Tough Scourers aren't for everyday gentle cleaning- these things mean business. I don't normally have them in my arsenal but seeing a pack for less than a pound in a discount store I thought I'd try them. Tesco have the 4 pack on sale at the moment for 85p half price. The scourers are made from 90% recycled steel, these are a long tightly curled metal 'strip' rounded into palm sized balls. The packet is different from the above picture that looks like cardboard backing; they now come bagged- still blue and easy to recognise though. The pack tells us that these are 'Tough Scourers' 'maximum power' and are 'recommended by Pyrex'. These aren't to be used on delicate surfaces. These are rust free and that's true, what's not so true is the fact they rinse bits out easily. Being highly abrasive we're told to wear gloves when using them but I don't always...........that's not to say they're safe to use with bare hands but I just wanted to point out that they're not too harsh as to rub your skin off and that there's no metal file bits left in my hands after using; infact they're quite soft and springy. I use these scourers on burnt stainless steel pans, obviously they can't be used on non stick and the like. They do a grand job when used with a bit of washing up liquid, black stuck fast food doesn't just wipe off with these things but combined with elbow grease it does eventually come off. Where I find the scourers to be most effective is on dried on grease and fat- especially the welded on grease that sticks to the kitchen tiles. I was amazed at how the scourer just lifted it off. The tiles weren't compromised, the glaze nor colour are damaged. I don't really chance them on any other surface as they would be too harsh for most worktops etc. I don't risk using them in the bathroom either after a porcelain mug was left with silver 'scratch' marks. I don't use them everyday but atleast weekly for the last few months and I'm still on the second one of the pack so a pound is turning out to be great value. However they don't last for ever and do start to lose their abrasion and do unravel. I can't give any less than 5 stars for their grease removal on the kitchen tiles alone- nothing else would shift it.