Essexgirl2006

Essexgirl2006
  • Comments

Member since: 14.11.2006

01.09.2015 15:17

Advantages

• "Interesting characters"
      • " easy read"
      • Light

Disadvantages

• "No deep mystery "

The First in a Light Mystery Series set in the Cotswolds

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death is the first in a series of Agatha Raisin 'mysteries' written by MC Beaton. It is also the first I have read.

Agatha Raisin is a newly retired PR executive, who has upped sticks and relocated to a picturesque village in the Cotswolds to live out her dream. However, whilst everyone is freindly, Agatha struggles to make friends and finds not a lot actually happens. She decides to enter the Quiche competition in order to get herself known within the village. However as Agatha has never made a quiche in her life, she decides to buy one and pass it off as her own. However when one of the villagers dies after eating her quiche, village life livens up somewhat, but not quite in the way that Agatha expected nor wanted!

Agatha is an interesting character. She isn't very nice to most people, being a bit grumpy and abrupt, but her heart was in the right place most of the time. I still quite liked her as she had a bit of spirit about her, even as she thundered about rubbing everyone up the wrong way. The only other characters we really got to know was Roy, one of Agatha's former colleagues, and Bill Wong a local policeman who befriended her. The other villagers are interesting enough but sometimes border on caricatures. In a short, light book like this it didn't actually bother me.

The mystery aspect is entertaining enough and there is a fair amount of amusing moments caused by Agatha's 'nosey-parkering'. It isn't a dark thriller or twisting mystery, and in some respects reminded me of Mma Ramotswe if the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - except not set in Botswana. The story is as much about the people as it is about the mystery.

I would definitely read another book in this series again and recommend it for those looking for a quiet read.

• Love Happens (DVD) / DVD / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
        30.08.2015 18:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "No comedy"
        • "Not great perfomances"
        • "Weak Story"

Not the Best Romance Film You'll Ever Watch

Love Happens is a romance film starring Aaron Eckhart as Burke Ryan. After losing is wife in a car accident he wrote a book about coping with grief and is now a sort after self-help guru, holding seminars for other grief sufferers. He returns to Seattle, his late wife's hometown, and realises he still has some issues surrounding his wife's death that he needs to deal with. It is whilst he is there he meets local florist Eloise (Jennifer Aniston), who helps him on his journey. This is pretty much it as far as plot is concerned.

Considering the main cast I was expecting this to be more of a rom-com, but the comedic aspect is poor, I don't think I cracked a smile, let alone laughed. It's not even that romantic, nor much of a drama, it is a bit of a flat film to be honest, and not one either actor is likely to be proud of.

The film was written by Brandon Camp (who also directed) and Mike Thompson. I'm not sure what their motivation was or what they hoped to achieve (other than a hot movie, presumably). I found it a bit of a nothing movie, by the end when we hear Burke's sad story I had lost interest enough to not even be moved. I was very disappointed as both actors can give better performances. I also didn't feel any chemistry between them.

If you like rom-com movies than I don't suggest watching this one as it is far from a good example. Maybe OK for fans of these actors, but as mentioned, it isn't their best work.

• Pitch Perfect / DVD / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
        28.08.2015 11:31

Advantages

• " Light film"
        • Fun
        • "Good Musical Numbers"
        • "Some good performances"

Disadvantages

• "Not original"

Great Comfort Viewing

Pitch Perfect is a fun musical chick flick, seemingly inspired by Glee.

Beca is a freshman in Barton college and would rather be in LA where she hopes to become a DJ. Under pressure from her father she has to join a group and get involved in college life for a year, before he will support her decision to drop out. She joins the Barton Belles, an a capella singing group, who compete at national level. However they are considered a bit of a joke after one of their soloists was sick on stage. There are four a capella groups in the college, but the Treblemakers were the main rivals to the Belles.

Anna Kendrick takes the lead role and she was good but I liked Chloe (Brittany Snow) and Aubrey (Anna Camp) with their uptight spats as characters more. Rebel Wilson as Amy was always playing it for laughs. Skylar Astin and Adam Devine play some of the treblemakers.

The Belles sing a variety of songs and there are often mash-ups and sing-offs with other groups to keep the pace of the film using both modern and classic 80s or 90s songs. They don't sing original songs. No one warbles spontaneously in the canteen or sings to camera or anything like that - it is all within the confines of the choir. It isn't the most original film I've ever seen but I don't think you watch a film like this for originality and plot twists - it's comfort viewing for when you can't concentrate on anything else.

The first film has been out a couple of years now and a sequel has been released. Thus you could get a good deal when purchasing this film, or wait for it to appear on TV soon.

27.08.2015 11:15

Advantages

• " Basilica"
        • "Doge's Palace"
        • " museums"
        • Architecture
        • " unique city"
        • Interesting

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Well Worth Researching to Get a Long Weekend Here.

I visited Venice, in Italy, for three nights a few years ago. As many will know, this small island city can only be explored by boat or foot bridge. It is a labyrinth of alleyways and canals, and half the fun is getting a bit lost. The city is famous for the gondola rides, but they are extremely expensive, so we didn't do this. I preferred to travel by Vaporetto (a water-bus/ferry - much like a normal bus, but actually a boat).

The main part is St Mark's Square which is the place to go to get to the cathedral (Basilica Di San Marco), the tower (Campanile) and the Doge's palace (Palazzo Ducale). This square is too expensive to eat and drink in and is always thronged with tourists. I would advise getting here early in order to see these sights, especially in the summer months. Then walking back out a few streets for lunch/drinks.

There are also plenty of art galleries and small museums in the city. I quite enjoyed walking around the city on foot and seeing what I discovered, I also enjoyed taking the water-bus up the Grand Canal and along other routes and looking at the buildings. You can also visit the other islands such as Murano where they make the famous coloured glass, Burano where they make lace and San Michele, where the cemetery is.

If you are flexible you can stay on the main island for a reasonable price - some hotels offered shared facilities or no air-conditioning in some rooms. We got one with air-con and a shower room though, but such hotels tend to offer better rates overall, so don't ignore low star ratings.

• Velocity - Dean Koontz / Fiction Book / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
        26.08.2015 10:37

Advantages

• "Action Thriller"

Disadvantages

• "Not as fast paced as some"

Average Thriller

Dean Koontz is an American author of modern fiction. He tends to write mysteries and thrillers with male protagonists. This one is no exception. I have read quite a few of Koontz's novels in my time, but none for a while, so decided to revisit with this book which had been on my shelf for a good few years.

Billy Wiles is a barman with a past and a fiancée in a coma. One day he leaves work and finds a note on his car telling him that if he goes to the police and elderly woman will die, if he doesn't a schoolteacher will die. He informally approaches a cop friend who believes it to be a hoax. The schoolteacher is murdered and Billy has to take on the mystery killer without the police as he has been set up.

Of course the book is far-fetched - a super organised sociopathic killer doesn't torment random barmen for no reason. However I did find Koontz's writing style engaging as he weaves an intriguing web of connecting events to ensure Billy has very few appealing options. Therefore the reader is curious as to what Billy will do and continues to turn the page.

If I am honest I wasn't entirely gripped with the book until the last quarter when the story became more urgent and dramatic. At times it had been slower than I had expected from the author (and a book called Velocity). I can't say I loved it, but it is a good, easy to read for long journeys or the sun lounger when you don't require anything that will make you think.

• Easy A (DVD) / DVD / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
        25.08.2015 11:34

Advantages

• "Wacthable by an Older Audience"
        • "Good Cast"

Disadvantages

A Watchable Teen Movie

Easy A is a watchable teen flick starring Emma Stone as the lead character of Olive. Pressurised by her best friend she makes up a story about having lost her virginity. Unfortunately she is overheard by school gossip and bible bitch Maryanne (Amanda Byrnes) and rumour spreads, provoking Olive to swear at her and get detention. She then meets a kid in trouble for fighting because he was gay and they come up with the idea that they are sleeping together so other kids leave him alone.

It basically snowballs as she helps unpopular kids become popular by saying they slept with her in exchange for gift vouchers. This backfires somewhat and Olive ends up with a terrible reputation in the school leading to much bigger problems than she could have anticipated.

The film attracted a great supporting cast in Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci as Olive's parents. Lisa Kudrow, Thomas Hayden Church and Malcolm McDowell were her teachers and principal respectively. All are established and respected actors in their own rights, so was surprised they would pop up in supporting roles in a teen movie. However this is definitely one of the better teen movies (admittedly I'm not a teenager, so probably aren't that qualified to judge) as Olive is a strong character who is not easily beaten down, she is bright, witty and likeable. It is quite a mature teen movie, so is watchable by older adults too.

I think this was an entertaining drama (with a bit of comedy - but not laugh out loud) and recommend for an easy watch

24.08.2015 10:53

Advantages

• "Good for sensitive skins"
        • Antispectic
        • Soothing

Disadvantages

• "Initial smell"

Soothing Skinwash

I had started to get a few nasty spots on my back, at the top, from either hair products, general sweating/stickiness from hot cars or packed tubes (ewww) or scratching due to other irritants (neck labels, itchy knits, seams in clothes). This was recommended as tea tree oil and antiseptic will help it. The RRP is £12.50, but offers are available (I paid £8.15 online).

Tea Tree Oil is a natural essential oil and can be used for its antiseptic, fungicidal and antibacterial properties. It is also a good mosquito repellent. The skinwash contains 2% tea tree oil.

My 250ml bottles comes in a chunky pump-action dispenser.

The product has a distinctive camphorous smell, much like Olbas Oil, which I know isn't to everyone's taste. To use twist the pump head to activate it and press down. Two-three pumps onto a bath puff or mitt should be sufficient, as the skin wash does lather effectively. It rinses off easily and the smell doesn't linger on my skin afterwards. The scent did linger subtly in the bathroom for a few hours, usually if I'd used lots of the wash.

When I first used it I did not moisturise immediately after, so I could see that my skin mostly felt soft, smooth and not dry.

After a few weeks I wasn't seeing much improvement, One time I switched to a scrub instead and found my back was slightly more itchy than it had been after using the wash. I started using the wash again and found that it definitely soothed my skin and it was less prone to irritation, meaning I was less likely to try and scratch it and inflame it more.

As far as the spotty back was concerned, well a month later and it is still there and in fact got slightly worse for a time. There could be various reasons for this, and none of them to do with this product. After that, I have exfoliated a bit more and followed up with this wash after the exfoliation and this reduced the irritation and itchiness.

This appears to be a quality product from natural ingredients – It has soothed my back, even if some irritation is still occurring. It isn't a miracle product but I think it can certainly help those prone to sensitive skin or similar problems, as long as you don’t expect 100% results overnight.

• The Negotiator (DVD) / DVD / 14 Readings / 13 Ratings
        21.08.2015 15:47

Advantages

• "Good Action & Drama later on"
        • "Jackson & Spacey - Great performances"

Disadvantages

• "Slow start"

Great Acting in an Average Action Movie

This is quite an old film which I watched after it had been on TV. Samuel L Jackson was the lead actor in it and I was both pleased and surprised to see him in a straight role - these days I tend to associate him with comedy parts or action-comedies such as Die Hard or Kingsmen. The second string role is played by one Kevin Spacey, who I always find to be an excellent actor and very watch-able. There are a number of supporting roles with actors you would recognise if you ever watched CSI (Las Vegas) or Breaking Bad. It's a male-centric action film with few female roles.

Jackson plays Danny an experienced and respected hostage negotiator. After his partner Nathan takes him into his confidence about corruption in the force, Nathan is shot and killed. Danny suspects this is connected and starts to investigate, but meanwhile it seems the true villains have framed Danny and set him up to take the blame for Nathan's murder. This leads to a few connected events and means Danny then is the one holding hostages. He requests Chris Sabian (Spacey) to negotiate with him whilst he continues to uncover who set him up.

I found the beginning part a bit slow and it lagged a bit but once Spacey joined the cast the film took on a more dramatic (and action packed) edge. This is not the best action film I've ever watched but I did find the middle/later part entertaining and enjoyed the performances. You will have to suspend your disbelief a bit, but that is par for the course in films of this nature.

Overall I recommend this film for a lazy evening movie night.

20.08.2015 15:31

Advantages

• Reliable
        • "Consistent Colours"

Disadvantages

• "Loss of quality with compatible inks"

Reliable and Consistent Colour Laserjet

We've been using this printer in my office for about two years now. I can't say how much it cost as I wasn't involved in the purchase. I also wasn't involved with the set up but it seemed pretty straight-forward as I recall, even for our IT department! In fact any technical issues we've have had tended to be network related - connection being lost and whatever. As that happens with the PCs too, I'm assuming this is caused by network issues rather than the printer having a hissy fit.

It is a bulky printer and takes up a fair amount of worktop space, and is heavy to move. It isn't as quiet as some, I can usually hear it where I am seated 'around the corner' from it. It requires four ink toners: yellow, cyan, magenta and black. It is best to buy them as a multi pack to save money and I would strongly urge you to buy the official inks - we have had nothing but print quality problems when we experimented with various refills and non-branded compatibles. It was a false economy. Using the genuine inks we have seen that the colour is consistent and we don't get patches and shading. Due to the nature of our business it is important to get a good colour representation and for this to be consistent.

It does not scan or colour copy - it is just designed to be a standard colour printer. It prints A4 only as far as I can tell, and the feed tray has coped with regular paper, Avery labels and thin card with no problems or jams.

Depending on the size of the file, it can sometimes take a while to 'see' that it has a print waiting, but this could be down to our company network. Normal text documents print in no time at all, it is colour photos and diagrams that are slower but I would expect that.

Overall I think this printer was a good choice - it seems reliable and print quality is good (with genuine inks)

• Sony Xperia Z3 Compact / Smartphone / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
        19.08.2015 11:44

Advantages

• "Good Battery Life"
        • "Good Camera"
        • "Easy to use"
        • "Good features/specs"

Disadvantages

An Xcellent Phone

Initial set up is simple and you will need a Gmail account, but you can add other e-mail accounts anyway.

Calling is straight forward, I thought reception was clear and the other person can hear me clearly also. The phone is touchscreen but I found the on-screen keys to be quite small compared to previous phones, and mis-hit letters regularly.

The usual apps are present – Facebook, WhatsApp, BBC News, Kindle. The usual stuff you can get from Google Play store which is pretty comprehensive. You have to add a credit card or link it to your mobile bill to purchase – even a free app.

As a Sony phone, the Walkman app comes pre-installed and I find it easy enough to use. The music sounds clear and is not tinny, I was pleased with it, even via the supplied headphones.
        You can drag-and-drop other music tracks from your computer onto your device by USB or purchase directly from Google Play.

With a 20 megapixel camera, I had high expectations. I just want to take simple photos, and the occasional video, usually in low light settings. It can do this well, but I found it slightly more complicated at first. It isn't as intuitive as some. However quality is good. The front-facing camera (selfie) is only 2.2 MP but I find it adequate for such a purpose.

Sony claim the battery can last two days and I find that this is possible providing usage is relatively low – I switched off mobile data msotly, so only surfed via wi-fi, but I did play some music, send texts, make (short) calls and generally faff about with it as it was a new toy. Overall usage would be pretty low, but I guess that is subjective. There are ways to save your battery in the settings menu, so have a look and see if these methods suit you.
        I probably charge it most days, but it is nice to know if I don’t have time, it won’t die on me on a night out. The exact amount left is clearly available on the home screen in percentage format.

I have got to like this phone. Android was a new operating system to me but I have got used to it quite easily. There are things on this phone that I prefer, and some things I like better on the old one, but I suspect I’ll get used to it.

For a compact phone there appears to be very little compromise compared to the full size one that a friend has, and it seems to offer better battery life, camera etc than other similar compacts on the market. If you are looking for a new smartphone and want to keep it compact then I highly recommend you consider this phone.

18.08.2015 15:32

Advantages

• "Amazing churches"
          • "Rich cultural history"
          • "Interesting country"

Disadvantages

• "Peace may be a long way off"

In the Time of Peace

I wasn’t going to review this country at the moment, but I have fond memories of my time there, just a few months before the troubles started, that I wanted to share them.
          Two years ago, when I visited, the country seemed to be proud of its independence after many years of being under the control of the Soviet Union (some parts of the Western Ukraine had also been under control of other countries prior to this). I started in the pretty town of Lviv before moving on to Ternopil and Chernivisti, two smaller towns in the West of the country.

After a few days in Moldova we arrived in Odessa before travelling onto the Crimea. We stayed in Yalta but whilst in the Crimean region we did visit a former Soviet nuclear submarine service place in the hills around Balaclava and saw many Russian vessels in Sevastopol harbour (five times as many as Ukrainian). We were told about the agreement the Russians had with the Ukrainians to leave their vessels here, but of course had no idea how this would dramatically affect the region some six months later.

After the Crimea we got an overnight train to Kiev. I found the city to be very vibrant and interesting. there is a lot to do here. The main square, which was photographed a lot when the problems first occurred, was very different - full of street entertainers such as fire eaters, not protesters clashing with police.

This is a peaceful Ukraine and I hope the country will be like this again soon.

• graze.com / Internet Site / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
          14.08.2015 13:27

Advantages

• "Easy to use website"
          • "Easy to see nutritional info "
          • "Good range of snacks"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Snack Happy

I've been ordering a Graze box on and off for a few years now. At £3.99 a box (4 snacks) they are not the cheapest snacks but they offer a pleasant change due to their variety and are nutritionally balanced - much better for you than a packet of crisps. At work I always eat fruit in the mornings as a snack, but I am usually peckish again long before lunch. These snacks help me bridge the gap that the banana failed to do.

As mentioned - the variety are great and if you have specific needs - such as wanting low calories, high fibre or protein then the website clearly tells you which snacks are the best and you can rate then, so you can get your favourites more often.

There is no guarantee what you will get in your box so it is worth going through the snack list on the website and taking out anything you don't like. Most snacks are vegetarian and quite a lot are vegan. I have my preferences set as vegetarian so I don't get the beef jerky - they can also adjust it for those that are gluten intolerant or prefer no nuts (all foods are prepared in the same facility so cross-contamination could occur if you have a severe allergy.

Some of my favourite snacks are the savoury and spicy ones such as the Veggie Sushi Plate (ginger and nori peanuts, wasabi coated peas and Japanese seaweed rice crackers), or Sesame Garlic Crunch (oat sesame sticks, garlic sesame sticks and multi-grain soy rice crackers). My sweet preferences include Sticky Chocolate Pudding (milk chocolate drops, green raisins and jumbo raisins). There are also olives or microwaveable popcorn and tea infusions. I don't like the latter but anything can be opted out of and the system recognises that you may have 'binned' a product and may ask you if it is because you don't like a certain ingredient. if this is the case you can the choose to bin all products with that ingredient (as I have done with coconut), so you don't need to worry again.

Although it is a pricey way to snack healthily, it is convenient - recreating similarly interesting snacks yourself at home isn't going to be easy.

13.08.2015 16:53

Advantages

• "Wide food menu - good value"
          • "Cheap And Cheerful"

Disadvantages

• "Lacking in atmosphere"
          • "No Gourmet cusiine"

Cheap and Cheerful

Wetherspoons pubs are known for being cheap and cheerful, the chain are now in many towns in the UK. It was also one of the first pubs to ban smoking inside.

As a rule the Wetherspoon pubs are in old buildings, often used for a previous purpose like and old theatre or bank. Some have taken over existing pubs or other premises and there are a few that don't have much to offer in the way of décor. Whilst these older, converted pubs can look quite nice, generally these pubs can be quite lacking in atmosphere. As a rule they do not have music playing in the background although they increasingly have TV screens for sports/news coverage. They often also have fruit machines, at a low volume.

As mentioned Wetherspoons are cheap for drinks, and they often have promotions on particular drinks or offer certain free drinks with meals. They usually have a good selection of real ales available, and have their own Real Ale Festival. In my local Wetherspoons I paid £2.99 for a single vodka and diet coke, with the glass full of coke - no tiny glasses or splash of cola here. There house wines are also on tap - I still find this a bit strange and would prefer mine from a bottle!

Wetherspoons also have an extensive food menu - Burgers, steaks, curry, pasta, sandwiches, breakfasts (daytime) are all on offer. The menu usually states the calories per portion also. They also have theme nights and 'clubs'. For example, when I went last Monday, it was Mexican Monday and I could get a burrito and a drink for £6. They also do Curry Club, Steak Club and various other ones that involve a drink promotion too. If I am popping in at a weekend lunchtime or just want a quick bite I sometimes have their cheese and tomato toastie with a side of chips. Food comes quickly - it is ready prepared and just heated up, so you don't get to go have an ingredient removed if you don't like it.

I've usually found the staff to be friendly, very rarely have I seen a staff member being 'off' with a customer. The toilets are usually adequate. They are supposed to be checked hourly, but this doesn't always happen, particularly at peak times.

11.08.2015 13:03

Advantages

• "Excellent Staff"
          • "Excellent Tour"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Going To Visit The Queen

For ages I have been meaning to go to the Summer opening of Buckingham Palace, and this year I finally got round to it! Space is limited so I would advise booking to avoid disappointment, or a long wait. There is no booking fee and you can collect tickets on arrival. Adult tickets for the State Rooms only cost £20.50, or for £36 you can visit the Queen's Gallery and Royal Mews also. This would make a long day, as the Palace alone is 2-2.5 hours.

You will have airport style security checks before you go in - large bags will be taken through to the end for you to collect. The tour is done by an audio/multi-media guide.
          There are a few videos to watch, and coloured photographs to look at, to help you match the topic with a particular piece of art (for example). there are 16 room which are discussed with a brief talk - usually about a minute - and sometimes supplementary talks/videos of a similar length. There is nothing too long so you don't get bogged down, but it is completely up to you what you choose to listen to.

The summer 2015 exhibition is about State Visits and the work that goes into preparing for a state banquet - table plans, plates, menu choices. It was very interesting and it was nice to see the room laid out as if for a banquet.

There is a Garden Cafe, lavatories and a shop in the gardens.

If you are thinking of going I would advise planning ahead, garden tours for this summer are already sold out so planning your visit is a good idea. The palace staff were lovely - polite and friendly, and happy to help anyone, and do what they can for less able visitors. I had a lovely afternoon and hope to have a return visit for a different exhibition next year.

• Slug and Lettuce / Pub / Bar National / 10 Readings / 9 Ratings
          10.08.2015 11:12

Advantages

• "Good Offers"
          • "Extensive Menu"

Disadvantages

• "Inconsistent prices/offers between branches."

Worth Checking Out Their Happy Mondays Offer!

Usually once a month or so I meet a couple of groups of friends for a bite to eat and often we go to a Slug & Lettuce pub/bar chain. As pub chains go this is a little bit more upmarket, more like a wine-bar. My local branch can get very lively at weekends, with a DJ and a pre-club crowd. However mid-week we can often get table service when eating. Meeting up in London sometimes you'll get bars showing sports, or sometimes more low-key eating venues. Each branch is different, and 2-4-1 happy hour cocktails promotions varies from bar to bar which can be confusing, as well as different menus (some have more limited choices).

If I meet locally on a Monday it is to take advantage of their Happy Mondays half price food offer. Sometimes we meet up at the one in County Hall, London as it does 2-4-1 cocktails on a Saturday night.

Food wise the menu is extensive - burgers, wraps & sandwiches, salads, pub classics (fish & chips, chilli, curry, lasagne). Prices for mains average between £8-10 at my local one (different in city locations). They also offer starters and desserts if you want a bigger meal. They also have a 500 calorie section on the menu for those wishing to watch their waistline. They change the menu every so often (twice a year), but not by much - they've only recently changed the veggie burger offering after 6 years!

The usual suspects of drinks are available wines, beers and spirits, and the cocktail menu is extensive - I love the Porn-star Martini!

As I've mentioned there is often difference in menu, offers and atmosphere amongst different branches but I generally know I can find a reasonably priced meal when I do go. It is worth reserving a table if there is a group of you on a weekend evening - this is never a problem.