FridaysArePurple

• Comments

Member since: 21.06.2012

• Ikea Billy Bookcases / Furniture / 7 Readings / 5 Ratings
      07.04.2015 17:13

Advantages

• "Looks nice"
      • Cheap

Great cheap bookcases

I bought one of these Billy bookcases in Ikea last summer as somewhere to store my overflow books which could no longer be crammed on my existing book case as I have far too many. There are lots of different shaped, sized and coloured bookcases available in this range but I have the smallest one which measures 40cm x 28cm x 106cm and has three shelves. I was actually in the market for something bigger - there are some really nice tall Billy bookcases but unfortunately they are taller than my car is long so I opted for this one! (Home delivery is an option though, if you can be bothered with it).

As with all Ikea furniture, it comes flat packed and self assembly is required following the picture instructions. Due to the small size of my bookcase, assembly was really quick and straightforward and presented no challenges at all. There is a cut out at the bottom at the back of the bookcase so it goes up against the skirting board. This isn't so useful if you live in a victorian house like I do as the skirting boards are a foot tall but the base of the bookcase is still large enough so that it sits stirdily anyway without needing a wall attachment for stability. The shelves are also strong and able to hold a decent amount of weight as mine are double-stacked with books.

I have the white version of this small bookcase which cost me £12 and which I consider to be good value for money. It is also available in birch veneer, black-brown and oak veneer but for some reason all of these three options are double the price at £25 each. I would not pay that much for this bookcase no matter what the colour is - bear in mind you can get a much larger white billy bookcase for the same price as these. This is a pattern with Ikea furniture though - the white stuff is always much cheaper.

In conclusion, this is a nice little bookcase which is strong, decent to look at and good value for money so I would recommend it.

07.04.2015 16:35

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not sure if it makes any difference"
      • "Smells like pick 'n' mix sweets"

Smells like pick 'n' mix to me

I don't usually buy conditioner for my hair but I after reading some decent things about this brand I decided to buy a bottle of this Alberto Balsam Sun Kissed Raspberry. It comes in a 400ml bottle and I bought it for £1 in a cheap shop. There is also a shampoo in the same scent but I have only tried the conditioner. Various other scents are available from the same brand and can be widely found in cheap shops and supermarkets.

The conditioner comes in a tall bottle which has a black flip-cap top which is easy to open with wet hands in the shower. It is a clear bottle and you can see the light-pink coloured conditioner inside. The consistency is ok and it squeezes out the bottle easily. It's not too gloopy and not too runny. It is easy to rub into your hair and it rinses out quite quickly even if you have long hair like me. I only use it on the length and tips of my hair as I find that many conditioners can make roots look greasy.

The scent is Sun Kissed Raspberry and it also contains juniper and chamomile extracts apparently. Unfortunately, to me it just has the sickly sweet smell of chewy pick 'n' mix sweets - not something I really like having on my hair. Thankfully it's not so bad when hair is dry but it's not a scent I like and I wouldn't buy this product again on that basis alone.

I don't use this conditioner on my hair every time I wash it, just sometimes and I can't say that I have noticed any difference in the smoothness or manageability of my hair when I have used it compared to when I haven't. I think the main reason I am still using it is because I'm trying to get rid of the bottle which has been sitting on the side of the bath for ages!

It is a cheap conditioner so I didn't really have any expectations for it but I still don't think it was really worth it so this is not something I would recommend. I'll stick to just using shampoo.

• Ikea Malm Chest: 6 Drawers / Furniture / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
      05.04.2015 15:47

Advantages

• "Good value for money"
      • "Looks stylish"

Disadvantages

Simple but stylish chest of drawers from Ikea

Ikea do a range of different sized chest of drawers in their Malm range with this six drawer unit being the largest. I have had one of these 6 drawer chest of drawers in my bedroom for about 4 years and it still looks and works as good as new. The whole unit is very sturdy and even though there is quite a lot of weight held in some of the drawers, it can cope with it all just fine.

The total assembled size is 80 cm in width, 48 cm in depth and 123 cm in height. The bottom four drawers are larger ones which cover the full possible width and the top two drawers are side by side, and are half the width of the others. I really like that there are these smaller drawers at the top as they are handy for storing smaller items.

Being from Ikea, it comes in pieces and self assembly is required, following the pictures in the instruction manual. It is nothing too challenging but is quicker and easier with two people. The drawers pull out smoothly and they all have stop mechanisms which prevents them from falling out completely. None of the drawers have handles which is something I like as it makes it look quite sleek and modern - the drawers are opened by pulling the top of the drawer which is angled diagonally downwards for easy grip. Another advantage of this is that because of the gap between each drawer, even if they were to drop slightly over time, the drawer above can never prevent the one below from opening/closing properly - a problem I had with my previous set of drawers from elsewhere which was quite annoying.

I have the white chest of drawers which is the cheapest colour in the range, costing £79. The surface is shiny and easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth when required. Other colours are also available which include black-brown, oak veneer and white-stained oak veneer. These three varieties are marginally more expensive at £85 each.

In conclusion, this is a good value set of drawers which I would recommend.

• Felix Goody Bag Seaside Mix / Cat Food / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
        05.04.2015 14:06

Advantages

• "Resealable pouch"
        • "Cat likes them"
        • "Good value"

Disadvantages

The cat likes them so they must be good

I recently bought a packet of this Felix Goody Bag Seaside Mix for 80p from Wilkinsons as it seemed like good value. What you get is a resealable pouch containing 60g of different coloured and different-shaped biscuits. The biscuits are around the size of a 20p piece and are mainly yellow, brown and pinkish in colour and smell kind of meaty but they are not horrible-smelling. This Seaside Mix flavour is floured with salmon, pollock and trout. The ingredients consist of the usual cereals, meat and fish derivatives and various additives including vitamins and omega 6 fatty acids.

The packet describes these as a 'complementary pet food for adult cats' so they are obviously intended as an occasional treat. The packet says that you should feed an adult cat a maximum of 15g or 40 treats per day which seems quite a lot to me but it does say you should adjust your cat's main meal accordingly! I put down around 8 or so to see what the cat would make of them and they all got wolfed down within about 5 seconds so they are obviously a hit!

There are two other flavours available in the same range which are the Original Mix (flavoured with chicken, liver and turkey) and Cheesy Mix (flavoured with cheddar, gouda and edam). Erm, do cat's eat cheese? To me the idea of cheesy cat biscuits is just disturbing! I will steer clear of that flavour and stick to the seaside mix thanks.

In summary, these are cheap cat biscuit treats which the cat will love. I would recommend them.

05.04.2015 13:14

Advantages

• "Body Shop had frequent online offers"
        • "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive when full price"
        • "Staying power is awful"

Only worth it if it's half price

After trying a tester of this Japanese Cherry Blossom Eau de Toilette in my local Body Shop, I found that I really liked the scent so I purchased a bottle of it online.

It comes in a tall, attractive, rectangular shaped bottle which contains 50ml of the eau de toilette. The glass bottle has been updated compared to the picture of this given above and in my opinion, it now looks much more sophisticated. There is a matt silver cap which pulls of and a spray pump underneath which is easy to operate.

The liquid itself is clear and the Japanese Cherry Blossom scent is light and refreshing. It's a lovely floral scent which I really like. According to the website, the top notes are of Fuji apple, the heart notes are cherry blossom and there is a base of sandalwood, hinoki wood and fruity musk. As mentioned previously, you can test it out for free in the Body Shop before committing to a purchase.

The only issue with this product is that the staying power is pretty terrible. You can smell it nicely when you apply it but it fades very quickly indeed. The reason I chose the eau de toilette rather than the fragrance mist from the same range is that I was hoping for a decent level of longevity which unfortunately this doesn't provide. At full price this eau de toilette sets you back £16.00 and at that price I would say it is definitely not worth it. I bought mine for half price on ebay so I was happy about my purchase but there's no way I would pay full price for this. The Body Shop also frequently have online offers which could be taken advantage of to get better value.

I would only buy this again in the future if it was half price or alternatively I would buy the fragrance mist instead at £7.50 as I love the scent and this is much more reasonably priced for what you get.

• Nurofen Caplets / Pain Relief / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
        04.04.2015 18:43

Advantages

• "Much more effective than cheaper brands"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Fast-acting and effective pain relief

Nurofen caplets are my favourite brand of painkiller. For years I used the cheap supermarket own-brand painkillers to help with general pains such as headaches, stomach aches and period pain, but after using these and noticing the obvious superiority, I will never be switching back.

These Nurofen caplets are 200mg ibuprofen pills. I don't like swallowing massive round pills so I like the longer and thinner shape of these which makes them comparative easy to swallow. They also have a shiny, sugar-coated surface which again makes them much easier to swallow and they don't have that nasty taste to them that cheap tablets have which is a much appreciated feature!

In my experience the pain relief kicks in much quicker than cheaper own-brand tablets and it also lasts noticeably longer as well. I keep a packet of these at home and at work as well just in case. They are suitable for a number of different pains including, headaches, back ache, period pain, toothache, muscle pain, colds and fevers, neuralgia, rheumatic pain and mild arthritic pain.

They are not suitable for children under 12 and there should be a minimum of four hours left between doses (which consist of max 2 caplets), not exceeding 6 caplets in 24 hours. Those suffering with certain health complaints or those on some other medications are told not to to take these so, as with any medication, you need to check the full instructions before deciding whether this is a suitable medication for you.

These caplets meet my needs well and I find them a good product and will continue to buy them in the future. Costing around £2.50 to £3.00 they are by far the not the cheapest ibuprofen available but I really do think you get what you pay for and they are worth it.

• Millie's Cookies / Supermarket / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
        04.04.2015 18:18

Advantages

• "White choc chip are to die for"

Disadvantages

• "Not that cheap"

I love white choc chip cookies

Millie's Cookies are shop/kiosk which you usually find in shopping centres selling a range of cookies, muffins, ice cream and hot drinks. The cookies are, of course, the star of the show. There are about 12 different flavours, most of which include some form of chocolate. I have only tired two of the range as once I discovered the white chic chip flavour, they are so delicious I have never been able to bring myself to order anything else! The white chic ones are crispy and golden on the outside and gooey in the middle, with delicious buttery taste and big white chocolate chunks throughout. In other words, they are absolutely delicious! The longer I spend writing this review, the more I want one... The cookies are about 7cm in diameter so not that big, which is perhaps the only slight down side.

I only ever get a cookie from Millie's cookies when I am out shopping and fancy a snack, so I only buy one at a time, or two if i'm getting one for someone with me. You can also get a selection of different cookies in a box if you wish but I have always avoided this so far as they are so nice I know they would get scoffed in quite a small timeframe! A box of 12 is £6.99 whereas I think one cookie is £1 so it is better value to buy more.

Sometimes there is a queue at my local Millie's cookies but I have always found the service to be quite fast and friendly. Sometimes they have an offer on where you by so many cookies and get a free drink/ ice cream or something along those lines.

In conclusion, the white chic chip come highly recommended!

04.04.2015 17:37

Advantages

• "Bright blue colour looks cool"
        • "Tastes nice"

Disadvantages

• "A bit expensive full price"

Colgate max fresh cool mint toothpaste

The cool mint version of this Colgate Max Fresh with cooling crystals toothpaste is currently my favourite toothpaste. It is also available in fresh mint and spicy mint flavours, although I haven't tried either of those two.

Max fresh cool mint is a bright-blue coloured gel toothpaste which contains cooling crystals. These crystals are actually little white squares which are distributed throughout the blue gel and which dissolve completely when brushing your teeth. It's definitely more interesting to look at than bog-standard white toothpaste!

The cool mint has a really nice flavour to it. Some toothpastes have a mild wishy-washy taste which doesn't do enough to make you mouth feel freshened, and others are so minty they almost seem to burn. For me, this one is a perfect middle-ground. I also like the fact that it is a gel toothpaste as I can't stand those white chalky toothpastes!

This cool mint toothpaste no longer comes in a garish red box (with the exception of the Colgate logo part) but in a metallic silver and blue box which looks quite attractive. The tube inside is a 100ml squeeze tube which a flip-cap lid. Alternatively, it is also available in those upright plastic containers with a pump lid which I usually avoid as the tops tend to get gummed up and gross.

The one down-side to this toothpaste is that it is a bit on the expensive side costing £2.99 at full price. The supermarkets and Boots do tend to put it on offer now and again and at the time of writing this review it is currently half price in Tesco so I took the opportunity yesterday to stock up.

In conclusion, this is a funky coloured, fresh and tasty gel toothpaste which I will continue to buy in the future and would recommend.

• Ikea Fado Table Lamp / Lighting / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
        04.04.2015 16:58

Advantages

• "Suitable for many different rooms of the house"
        • "Provides soft mood lighting"
        • "Attractive lamp"

Disadvantages

• "The coloured ones don't look so good"

Ikea FADO - Stylish white orb lamp

I bought a white one of these FADO table lamps from on my annual pilgramige to Ikea last summer. It was an impulse buy as I didn't specifically need a lamp but I liked how the example ones in the shop looked which convinced me to get one.

The dimensions of the lamp are 24.5cm in diameter and 23.5cm in height. The power cable is 185cm long and the switch to operate the lamp is a white flick switch on the cable. As far as I remember there was some minor assembly required - just fitting the bulb in and inserting it into the glass orb cover. They do not come supplied with a bulb but Ikea does sell an appropriate bulb which can be bought separately (LEDARE LED bulb E27 400 lumen), which is what I did.

This lamp looks great when it is turned on as it gives off soft mood lighting. I really like the frosted white finish it has and that you can't see the light bulb inside at all and the whole thing is just a big glowing orb. Despite the soft-light effect, I still think it gives off a decent amount of light. I have mine on a chest of drawers next to my desk and often have this on when I am on my computer rather than the harsher alternative which is my 'proper' desk lamp.

In addition to the white lamp I have, these are also available in blue, pink and orange. I decided to get white as I thought that the colour on the other coloured lamps looked a bit patchy and as a result were not as stylish-looking as the white one which is a bit of a shame. These lamps all cost £13.00 and as an Ikea product, can of course only be bought in Ikea.

This is a really cool-looking lamp which is appropriate for many different rooms of the house. I am really pleased which mine and would happily recommend it to others.

07.12.2014 21:44

Advantages

• "Smells gorgeous"

Disadvantages

• "Could last a little longer"

Lovely light scent

Every summer in the airport I spray myself with a random perfume which I usually end up regretting for the rest of the flight but this year I chose DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom and was surprised to find that I actually really liked it! So much so, in fact, that it went on my birthday list and was lucky enough to receive a bottle of the eau de parfum.

My initial decision to try this perfume was solely based on the nice little apple-shaped bottle that it came in which caught my eye. The bottom part is clear glass allowing you to see the delicate pink-colour of the fragrance within and the top half is the lid which is a shiny silver. The little DKNY sticker on the lid, which looks like the stickers you get on real apples, is a cute touch. The 30ml bottle I have has a lid which screws off revealing the spray pump underneath but the larger bottles just have a button on the lid. On my 30ml bottle, the lid is easy to twist off and the spray pump dispenses enough perfume so that only a single spray is needed on each wrist.

The fragrance is really gorgeous. It is fruity and floral whilst being light and subtle. I really like that it is light as it means it's appropriate for occasions as well as being wearable at work too so you have the freedom to wear it whenever you feel like rather than feeling like you should limit it's use to one particular purpose. According to DKNY, the top notes of the fragrance are citrus and apple blossom, with middle notes of rose and violet. The base notes are woodsy notes, orris roots and musk. I'm not a fragrance expert but I can tell that the fragrance does change as it is worn throughout the day and I really like how it smells both when recently applied and also how it smells later on in the day as it fades. I would consider the longevity of this perfume to be reasonably short however this is because it is a fresh light fragrance to start with. If you are after something which could make more of a statement then this may not be for you but I find it perfect for my needs.

A 30ml bottle of DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom costs £36.50 in Boots which is where mine came from. No doubt it can be found cheaper online but I am wary of fakes and would rather purchase from a shop. I would consider this good value as mine is lasting me well and it is such a lovely fragrance. I will happily purchase this in the future and I would recommend it to others.

24.11.2014 23:12

Advantages

• "Quite cheap"
        • "Fine as a cleanser"
        • "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "Feel a bit rough when removing make up"

Fine as a facial cleanser, not that great for make-up removal

I recently bought some of these Boots Essentials Refreshing Cucumber Cleansing Wipes as part of a three for two offer. I had never tried them before but I wanted a cheap everyday wipe and they seemed to fit the bill.

Each pack contains 25 wipes and has a resealable sticker over the opening. It is easy enough to pull out one wipe without ending up with a whole load of them and the sticker works well and doesn't let the remaining wipes dry out at all. I really like the cool, refreshing cucumber scent. It's pleasant without being at all overbearing.

These wipes are intended to clean your skin from both oils and make-up however I only tend to use these to clean my face and not as a make-up remover. They are perfectly fine as facial cleanser as they smell nice and have a decent amount of dampness to feel good without leaving your face all wet. To remove make up you have to rub them harder against your skin and I find this feels quite rough especially around the delicate eye area if you are trying to remove eye make up. I hardly ever wear make up so these wipes are fine for me most of the time but if I was a make-up wearer I would be looking at getting a more expensive product that is softer against my skin.

One pack of these wipes currently costs £1.50 from Boots and they are usually not the 3 for 2 offer making them even better value. I would buy them again the future but I wouldn't go out of my way and if I saw something similar of a similar price in a different shop I wouldn't just as easily pick that up instead rather then these.

In summary, these cheap wipes are fine as a basic everyday cleanser but something a little less basic is needed for make-up removal.

23.11.2014 21:19

Advantages

• "Nice slight tingling sensation"

Disadvantages

• "Hard to judge the effectiveness"

Clean and Clear deep cleansing lotion

Skin cleansers and products designed to reduce spots can be really expense and I'm not that convinced any of them are that effective so I was on the look out for something towards the cheaper end to try out. I bought a £2.99 bottle of this Johnson and Johnson Deep Cleansing Lotion for sensitive skin from their Clean and Clear range as it also has a good reputation. I don't particularly have sensitive skin but I hoped that it might just be less harsh than non-sensitive alternatives.

I'm not sure why this product is called a lotion to be honest as that suggests a thicker, cream-like consistency to me but it is actually the same viscosity as water. This means that it comes out of the bottle very quickly when it is tipped up and just soaks straight though a cotton pad. It's a bit annoying, so tip it carefully. The cap can also be a bit stiff to open too.

The scent is quite a strong minty smell but it is perfectly fine and smells much better than a lot of clearsil products. It's easy to apply to your face using a cotton pad and it does leave a slight cool tingling sensation on your skin especially where you have sore areas or spots. I quite like as it shows that it is actually doing something! You can also see the results on the cotton pad too. The product doesn't need to be washed off afterwards unlike soaps and masks which is a good time-saver. It's also cheaper and leaves my skin less wet afterwards than pre-impregnated pads. Seeing as I get a tingling sensation when using this and my skin isn't that sensitive, people with really sensitive skin might not get along with it.

I like the fact that you can use this product as often as you feel necessary as often with these sorts of products you can only use it maximum once day. Having said that it is very rare for me to use this more than once a day, but it's still nice to have the option!

As with any cleansing product, it is so hard to say whether it has prevented you getting spots. Remember that if there was a universal cure for spots, we wouldn't even know what they are so don't have unrealistic expectations. However I feel that this product does indeed cleanse my skin preventing oil and grease buildup as the packing claims and is indeed more effective than just washing with soap and water. (It makes no claim on the bottle about removing make up so it's not a product intended for that purpose). I also like the fact it is much quicker and easier to apply than a soap, a mask or a gel which encourages me to use it more regularly and I think it is good value for money so I would be happy to buy it again in the future.

23.11.2014 20:40

Advantages

• "Natural exfoliating seeds"
          • "Smells good"
          • "Feels really nice when applying"

Disadvantages

• "Takes a little while to wash off"

Excellent value raspberry mud mask

This Mud Therapy face mask is a Superdrug product which I picked up when whilst originally searching for a single use sachet mud mask. I noticed that a 75ml tube of this Raspberry Exfoliating mask was around the £2.50 so it was much better value for me to get this product instead.

The product comes in an attractive deep-pink coloured tube with a flip-cap at the bottom. The mask isn't too thick so it squeezes out of the tube easily. I have had mine for quite a few months now as I only tend to use it occasionally but the opening hasn't got gummed up or dried out at all.

The mud is a slightly off-white grey colour with little black specks in it. These speck are natural raspberry seeds and apricot kernels and provide the exfoliating action. I feels so nice to rub this on your face! The mud is nice and cool and the seed sort of pop against your skin. It's nice and relaxing. I really like it that they are natural seeds rather than synthetically created particles as well. The raspberry scent is really nice too without being overpowering.

After application, you should leave the mask for 10 to 15 mins to set. Sometimes I wash it off sooner if I'm not in the mood to wait, happy with just the exploiting aspect of the product, and other times I leave it on for the full time to set. As it dries, it gets stiffer and tightens on your skin which feels nice. Washing it off can be a bit more difficult to do without making a mess around the sink. It will take ages to get it off by just splashing water on your face - I usually rub it off with a wet flannel which works fine. By far the best way to do it is to just wash it off in the shower.

My skin feels really nice and fresh after using this product and I will happily repurchase it when my current one runs out which might not be for a little while as one bottle lasts really well. I am quite liberal with the amount I use and it is still lasting me ages so this product is excellent value for money. It gets 5 out of 5 from me.

• Tesco Cotton Wool Round Pads / Make Up / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
          23.11.2014 19:55

Advantages

• "Good value"

Disadvantages

Tesco cotton wool pads: good value

I picked up a pack of these Tesco cotton wool pads on a weekly shop as I needed something to use to apply facial cleanser. You get 100 cotton pads in a pack which will cost you £1. Each pad is round and is 5.5cm in diameter. They are made out of 100% pure cotton. I decided to buy these pads as they were a good price but weren't the absolute cheapest ones (Tesco everyday value cotton pads are just 49p).

When using these with a liquid cleanser to cleanse my face I have been very impressed with how well they hold together. At first I was worried they might disintegrate but this hasn't been the case at all. I can rub my face with them quite vigorously even when they are soaked through and they hold up perfectly which is great. I haven't used them to removed nail polish or makeup so I can't comment on their suitability for those purposes.

According to the packaging, these cotton pads are 'hydroentagled' which stops them fluffing up. I have had no issues with this with this when using mine so this obviously works. The softness of the pads is fine for me and I haven't found them to be coarse or irritating at all.

I would be more than happy to buy these pads again in the future so I recommend them. I might even be tempted to try the cheaper Tesco essential pads next time to see if they are just as good.

23.11.2014 19:11

Advantages

• "Nice colour"
          • "Good price"
          • " clean scent"
          • Simple

Aloe vera antibacterial soap

I have a bottle of this Carex Aloe Vera antibacterial hand wash in both my kitchen and bathroom at the moment. They are often on offer in the supermarkets for just £1 which is really good value. There are other fragrances available in the range but this one is my favourite.

The soap is a nice see-through pale green colour and comes in a clear 250ml bottle with a dispenser pump. It looks a bit more interesting than boring white or magnolia coloured liquid soaps. It recommends that you use two squirts of soap each time but seeing as it foams up really well, I often just use the one. It obviously last longer this way too. The pump is really effective and dispenses a decent amount of soap each time. In fact, if you push it down too hard, the soap can overshoot your hand so be gentle!

This soap is antibacterial and claims to kill 99.9% of bacteria. The antibacterial claims are reassuring especially in the kitchen where food gets prepared. I'm not sure how effective it is against viruses as this is not mentioned on the packaging.

The aloe vera scent of this soap is fresh, clean and quite subtle. I really like the fact that it isn't very strongly scented as I don't like the smell of a strongly fragranced soap on my hands when I am cooking.

I think this a decent product which provides good value and I will continue to buy it in the future so I rate it 5 stars.