- Premium reviews
- Express reviews
- Reviews rated
- Ratings received
A quick and easy baking recipe for the Christmas period. It should be 30 minute preparation time and 15 minutes baking time.
I originally found the recipe on Tesco website and made them a few times so I thought that I would share this with everyone.
100g (3½oz) butter, softened
185g (6½oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg
350g (12oz) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1½ tsp baking powder
100ml (3½fl oz) milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the butter cream icing:
50g (2oz) butter, softened
200g (7oz) icing sugar
For the glacé icing:
200g (7oz) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
100g (3½oz) ready-rolled icing
1. Preheat oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until smooth, then stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
3. Using an ice cream scoop, place spoonfuls on a tray, well spaced apart, and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Leave on the tray for 5 minutes before removing to cool.
4. To make the butter cream, place the butter in a bowl with ½ tsp of boiling water. Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Use to sandwich the whoopie halves together.
5. To make the glacé icing, mix the icing sugar with ½ tsp water to make a very thick, pourable icing. Drizzle over the whoopies.
6. Dust a work surface with icing sugar and roll out the ready-rolled icing thinly. Cut out snowflakes with a cutter to decorate the whoopies with.
7. Put on a plate and serve.
More on me. Happy Reading!!
1. Which do you prefer - shower or bath? And why?
I prefer a shower - quick and easy to jump in and out. With a bath you have to wait for it to fill up then check the temperature.
2. What do you swear you'll never do?
Stay in my current job and take out another credit card
3. What's the most embarrassing thing you ever done?
Gone up to one of my friends and gave them a huge hug from behind to then my friend turning round and it was not them. Beamer!
4. What is your favourite quote?
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. - Bhudda
5. What was your favourite holiday? And why?
New York with my Best mate. It was in February and it was a 21st trip that we had planned when we turned 16. We had always promised each other when we were 21 we will go to New York together and we did. Great city. Loved the shopping, sights and shows. I would go again but not in February as we were knee deep in snow.
8. Savoury or sweet?
Sweet - but love peanuts too.
9. Hot or cold?
I am an in-between kinda person - I like a hot country but like a cool surrounding.
10. What's your favourite drink?
Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke
11. What's your favourite food?
12. 12. Who do you hate the most?
People who walk in front of you or are upright rude
13. Do you have a crush on someone? If so, who?
No other man in my life except from my husband to be
14. What is your favourite colour?
15. What did you do last night?
Went to my friends wedding. It was lovely but expensive.
16. What's your favourite thing to do?
shopping and doing up my house.
17. Favourite movie, TV Programme, Book?
Desperate Housewives, Cruel Intentions & Brown Owls Guide to life
18. Who's your hero?
19. Favourite song of all time?
At the moment I like all sorts of tunes. It is hard to chose a single one sorry.
20. Have you ever had a supernatural experience?
No but I would love too. I believe in the supernatural.
21. Favourite Sound?
Clock ticking 5pm so I can finish work.
22. Favourite Smell?
Fresh Cakes or curry yummy
23. Favourite place to be?
In my bed or on holiday in a hot country
24. Happiest moment in your life?
Getting engaged at the top of the Eiffel tower in Paris and moving into our new house.
25. Saddest moment in your life so far?
One of my friends dying when we were at school.
26. What is your dream job?
teacher or working with children.
27. What would be your idea of a perfect date?
Being whisked away on a spa day and spending quality time together.
28. What are your favourite Newspaper/ Magazine?
I like the usual gossip mags like new and reveal on a weekly basis. On a monthly basis it is Glamour, Cosmopolitan or the other one that I have forgotten.
29. Which celebrity do you like the most?
I used to admire Katie Price but she is out the window now. I have to say Kerry Katona is now in my good books since she has now got rid of the scumbag.
30. Do you have any siblings?
1 sister aged 15. There is 9 years between us.
31. Have you ever been in hospital? If so, why?
Yes I am in hospital for check-ups all the time with my medical condition.
32. Have you ever broken a bone or had stitches?
No broken bones thank goodness. I did fall out my back-door when I was 3 or 4 and cut the skin at the bridge of my nose open and had to get stitches. Small scar there now. All I remember was getting a cadburys creme egg as a present for sitting still.
33. Do you believe in Angels/Ghosts/Demons?
I believe in ghosts - would love to go to a ghost hunting night. That would be a highlight in my life
34. Are you superstitious?
I am very superstitious.
35. What colour eyes do you have?
36. What colour hair do you have?
37. What religion are you?
Think I was christened, but I'm not religious.
38. If you could change 1 thing about you, what would it be?
I need to be more organised in life and more assertive.
39. If you could change 1 thing about your personality, what would it be?
Stop trusting people who pull the wool over my eyes
40. What is your biggest fear?
That I may not be here tomorrow.
41. Do you have any regrets? If so, what are they?
What is the point of having regrets in my life. You only live once.
42. Have you ever been in love?
Yes I have been in love twice. Once heartbroken now very happy.
43. What's the most important thing to you in the world?
My family and future.
44. What is your most treasured possession?
My engagement ring at the moment
45. What's your job?
46. What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
Took me on holiday and spent loads on me.
47. What's the worst thing anyone has done to you?
Lied and cheated behind my back and made it out it was me all along. Needless to say I am no longer with that person and I have moved on happy as ever and do not dwell on my past.
48. Dream car?
49. Favourite celebration?
Christmas is the best and wonderful time of the year.
50. Where do you hang out?
at the moment at home because I cannot afford to go out as I have recently bought a lovely house. We are too busy decorating it and getting used to being the two of us.
Being an Avon representative I have to buy to try products which I then have to recommend to my customers. I bought Avon Care Hand cream which is for Brightening uneven & dull hands. I purchased this around Christmas time as my hands tend to go dry with the horrible weather that we have in Scotland (or the full UK).
Avon Care products are the branded name for the basic range of Avon's skincare range. They also have Lilv botanicals, Solutions or Planet Spa which are the premium ranges that Avon sells.
The packaging for this hand cream is white and has the AVON CARE logo at the top.
It has a purple picture of a hand imitating putting on hand cream.
Below this it has the description of what type of cream it is - "Brightening for uneven or dull hands".
Below this it has the cream description again but in French Transcript.
Last but not least what the cream is made with - "Lemon and Cucumber".
On the back of the cream packaging it has the usual instruction in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Greek and another few which I don't understand.
It also has the full ingredients list but not very helpful as it is in a foreign language.
It has a normal screw cap at the bottom to release the cream. Very easy to open and close.
From the packaging the cream was made in Germany for Avon.
It is 125ml which is a good sized hand cream.
When using the product you can instantly smell the lemon and cucumber. This smell is very refreshing not only on the hands but to smell itself. It is not overpowering or pungent like other hand creams can be.
You need to put a small dot of cream on your hand and rub into hands, knuckles, nails and wrists also.
The cream is quickly absorbed into skin. It is not greasy. The smell will linger on your hands until to wash off the cream.
After using the cream continuously for 2 - 3 weeks twice a day you notice your hands are softer, the skin healthy and your nails look bright and clean.
PRICE & AVAILABILITY
The cream is £3.50 and can be purchased through an Avon Rep or through website www.avon.uk.com.
These tasty chocolate pots are great for a special occasion dessert
100g Dark Chocolate (70% Cocoa solids)
1 Vanilla Pod
100ml whole milk
300ml single cream
2 level tbsp caster sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1. Preheat the oven at temperature 150C/130C
Break the chocolate into a heatproof measuring jug.
2. Make a slit in the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds.
Put the pod and seeds in a pan with Milk, cream and sugar
Heat until just below simmering point
3. Pour the hot cream on to the chocolate and stir until melted and
Set aside for 15 minutes the remove the vanilla pod.
4. Lightly beat the egg yolks and whole egg in a bowl with a balloon
whisk until just blended.
Pour into the chocolate cream in a thin stream, gently whisking all the
Strain through a sieve back into a jug.
5. Pour into heatproof pots and put them in a roasting tin.
Boil a kettle of water and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up
Cover with tinfoil and cook for 45 minutes
6. Remove the foil and lift out pots.
Place in fridge to be served as chilled.
The Milky Way Crispy roll is better than the original Milky way. The sweet was not around for a while but now I can get them in my local garage, my work shop & at tuck shops.
The sweet has a low calorie count and is the perfect diet snack to treat you. There are no artifical colours, flavours preservatives in the sweet also so it would be ideal for a child's snack also.
So here is my complete review of this product
I bought my milky ways in a pack of 6. The box has the original milky way packing the blue and yellow with stars on it but shows the picture of the crispy rolls at the front with a picture of wheat and chocolate.
The box opens from the side and lifts at the front - easy enough access to get to the tasty treat. The back of the box holds all the nutritional values on it. The bar has two fingers within them.
In each bar you will have two chocolate fingers. The fingers are about an adult's index finger to thumb in length and are in a tube like appearance.
In the middle of each finger is the delicious creamy Milky Way filling which is the same style as the original Milky Way, then you have the thin wafer tube which holds the filling and then the chocolate coating on top of this.
The tasting of the product is great - when you bite into one of the fingers you instantly get the crunch of the wafer and then taste the smooth filling. The filling is creamy but sweet but tastes sensational.
It is a light and tasty snack for any one. The combination of the filling, wafer and milk chocolate coating works well and will not be too overpowering or sickly.
The price of the single items varies from 30p to 55p. On average I would say that the price is 36p. For a multi pack of 6 crispy rolls the price is £1.50 - £3.00 in larger supermarkets.
However I have seen it for £1 in Pound land recently which means mums can stock up for play snacks for schools.
1 bar of Milk way Crispy Rolls
May contain trace of hazelnuts - please be vary for allergies
What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before?
Joined MSE Forums, went to Disneyland Paris & bought a house.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes my best friend gave birth to a wee girl in April and my finace friend partner gave birth to a baby boy in July
Did anyone close to you die?
yes a good friend died aged 27 from cancer in Jan 2009
What countries did you visit?
France & England & Scotland
What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I would like to have went to the Gym more - I am paying for something which is not getting used as much. I'd like to be healthier, going to the gym more.
I would have also wanted to applied for more jobs to get out of my current job.
What dates will you remember from 2009?
September 30th 2009 I got engaged to my partner of 3 years & 5th August 2009 when we took a hot air balloon ride over Fife
Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just problems with weight. I did go into hospital for chest pains, which turned out to be strain on my chest from sports
What was the best thing you bought?
My house - can't wait to move in!
Where did most of your money go?
It went on my Disneyland Paris trip, Christmas, house, & Car repairs
What did you get really excited about?
The prospect of being asked to be married at the top of the effiel tower and meeting Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Was starstruck :P
What song(s) will you remember from 2009?
Sexy Bitch (David Guetta) I gotta feeling (Black eyed peas)
Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive?
happier and more productive
What do you wish you had done more of?
I wish I had concentrated on losing weight and being more active.
What do you wish you had done less of?
Spending money on rubbish like stationary and magazines.
What was your favourite TV programme?
Big Brother & Desperate Housewives
Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year?
I dislike certain people now than I did last year - not ellaborating on it though
What's been the best book of 2009?
I am not really a reader
What did you want and didn't get?
A new car but I bought a house instead.
What is your favourite film of the year?
Bruno was good
What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Me & my family went through to Edinburgh for a day trip and went for an indian - I was 23 on my Birthday
What political issue stirred you the most?
Mostly around the recession and how bad it was. Lots of companies were going bust and lots of people losing jobs.
Who was the best person you met?
Mickey & Minnie Mouse and all the disney characters lol
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
Don't let people walk all over me and don't instantly trust people otherwise you will be bitten back in the bum.
Today I had a great starter and pizza out of my local pizza hut.
My Other half and I decided to have a quick lunch while we were out shopping today. For a Christmas present we received a pizza hut gift card so we had some money to spend on it.
We arrived at our local pizza hut about 1pm and it was quite busy with lots of families with young children so it was noisy.
The waitress put us in a corner booth which had the table set and was very clean.
The menus were given to us open to the main pizzas which is the dearest selected ones. She did let us know about the specials that were on and the set menus that we could order.
After 10 minutes, the waitress came back to take our drinks orders. When she came back with the drinks she advised that because it was juice we had chosen we could have free refills and to give her a shout. At this point she took our order.
After debating for a while we decided to get one of the set deals.
The deal that we choose was 2 course for you. This consisted of any starter from the starter menu and any individual pizza for £7.49.
Usually an individual pizza which is a small pizza quartered is usually prized from £4.99 to £6.50 depending on what base and what toppings you get. Also the starters on offer range from olives at £1.99 to Garlic Mushrooms at £3.79.
We both optioned for Breaded Chicken Strips which consisted of Strips of succulent chicken breast, marinated then coated with crispy breadcrumbs, served with your choice of dip. Since we both choose to get the chicken strips we got one of each dip sour cream and Barbecue sauce.
We got the starters within 15 minutes of ordering. In total we got 5 breaded chicken strips in total and they were large sized portion. They were delicious. With the chicken strips is a small side salad.
Our main meal which was an individual pizza for each of us, came 5 minutes after the starter. In between clearing our starter plates we also automatically were given our drink refills.
I optioned for pan base which is unique to Pizza Hut. It is thick and fluffy base. I also opted for create your own pizza so with the standard sauce and cheese I got red onions and chicken.
My partner got pan based individual pizza which had chicken supreme topping which consisted of chicken pieces, mushrooms, green peppers and red onions.
The pizza tasted great and was very filling.
The whole bill cost us just under £19 with the drinks which I feel is good value for money. Due to the voucher we only had to pay £11 so a £8 saving today.
I would recommend Pizza hut for a lunch during a shopping trip which will definitely fill your stomach till dinner time.
If I was lucky enough to win a big jackpot on the National Lottery or the Euromillions I would have a few ideas/dreams on what to spend the money on. I rarely play the lottery. I only purchase tickets if I feel lucky or when people give me tickets in my birthday card. If I want to win I will have to be in it to win it.
So my dream list if I won the lottery is as follows:
1. I would pay off any of my personal debts like student loan, loan, credit card etc
2. would pay off partners personal debt.
3. We have recently bought our first house so I would pay back my partner as he has put down large deposit. We would put the deposit in a savings account for the future like our wedding.
We have never had a mortgage before so I would like to get used to paying up a mortgage. However we would probably use the "lotto money" to help overpay it.
4. We have a shared equity on our mortgage with the housebuilders so we would pay off the remaining amount with the housebuilders.
5. Buy a new car for myself and partner. Mines is currently 6 years old and his is 8 years old. We would get brand new cars.
6. I would like to go back to university to do a postgraduate course in teaching or social work. I would use the money to pay my fees and give myself a salary as I would drop to part time hours at work. Freeing up time from work will also help with my volunteer commitments with the Guide Group I help at.
7. Helping families - I would pay off my mum and dad's mortgage and any personal debts that they had. I would also give them money so that my mum can take early retirement from work. I would also open an account for my younger sister and put a vast sum of money in it for her future to do what she wants with it when she turns 18. I would like her to use it for either flat deposit, driving lessons with a car or university.
For my partners side of the family we would pay off their mortgage and help his parents out financially.
8. I would help other members of my family and find out what their needs were.
9. charities - I would invest my money into GirlGuiding UK but would focus on my local division. Recently our Guide Hall was sold due to dry rot so I would ask the local council for free land to build a new hall.
10. I would love to take the whole family to Florida and Disneyland. I would also like to travel the world with the other half before we get married have kids.
11. Have a nice wedding with family and friends as well as not having to have other people forking out a lot of money to pay for it.
12. Put money away for the future and our children.
1) How old are you?
I am 23 years old - Will be 24 in May 2010
2) Colour of your eyes?
3) How tall are you?
5'6" in flat shoes about 5'9" in heels
4) Hair colour?
5) Any brothers or sisters?
I have one younger sister who is 14 years. I enjoyed being an only child for 9 years but having a sister about is nice too.
6) Do you prefer cats or dogs?
I prefer dogs to be honest. I used to have a collie dog when I was 5 but he ran away. However my grandparents had a lovely dog called Tina and she used to be my guard dog when I slept in the pram.
7) What job do you do?
At the moment I am an Insurance underwriter with one of the largest UK Insurers. I don' really enjoy my job but I am not intending to be there much longer as I am looking to do a postgraduate course in teaching or social work.
8) Do you like your job?
as above. I have been in the same company for the past 6 years but moved to different departments doing different roles. I used to enjoy the job but due to current climate and companies not recruiting there is a lot of pressure and stress in my current role.
9) Favourite dessert?
It has to be Ben and Jerrys chocolate fudge cake ice cream.
10) Food that I loathe?
Brussel sprouts and mushrooms
11) Sweet or Savoury?
sweet all the way.
12) The last 3 films I watched
My sisters keeper
13) Song I can't get out of my head?
All the Glee songs - Halo and Don't stop believing - love it
14) Favourite Programme?
Desperate Housewives - love the drama and the comedy in it
15) Next Holiday
No holidays at the moment as buying first home. Might try and get a long weekend somewhere in the UK
16) Favourite Country?
USA - I have only been to New York City but that was only a tastier for visiting the rest of a large country
17) Favourite beach holiday?
Majorca - magaluf beach is really lovely and clean.
18) Favourite hobby?
searching the internet and being involved in Guiding
19) The last thing that made me laugh?
A text message I received
20) Favourite cocktail?
sex on beach
What is in my bag? Well if I empty it that will make a start.
My bag at the moment is a black medium sized over the shoulder type bag. It has two small zips at the front for extra storage.
So what is actually in my wonderful Mary Poppins bag................
1. Pink Filofax - need this to keep all my appointments, my work schedule, put down any dinner dates with mates, nights out, birthdays etc
2. Avon Brazil Beat body mist - quick spray a couple times a day to make me smell fruity. (please read my first review on this)
3. Bursting at the brim with moths ....... yes its a bright pink purse which has all my debit cards, gym card (which has dust on it due to lack of use), student card (for all those student discounts), all my points cards for tesco, nectar & boots, couple of vouchers for John Lewis, M&S and pizza hut.
4. 1 Black Avon hair brush
5. A pair of glasses which rarely get worn
6. Sani Hands antibacterial cleaning hand wipes - if you are ever caught out
7. 50ml Hug Boss Deep Red ladies perfume - love the smell
8. Black and pink spotty Next Umbrella
9. Pair of grey primark gloves - it is very cold here
10. An ipod
11. Superdrug "The little Green tin" aloe Vera Vaseline
12. Avon Cotton Candy glaze-wear sparkle lip gloss
13. Pack of tablets for health reasons
14. Headset for nokia mobile - talk on handsfree
So there you have it. what's in my bag. I used to carry a small first-aid kit but have changed bags so often I keep on forgetting to put it back in.
Well I love this body mist so much that I have bought it lots of times.
I am an Avon Rep and this body mist has been one of my best sellers so far last summer. The smell it gives is so uplifting, refreshing and summery it will get you through a cold winter looking forward to the first sunny day of spring.
The look of the bottle ..... it is 100ml bottle (handy for going in Hand luggage for holiday), it is a spray pump, the mist itself is a bright orange colour and has a small lid on top. The label clearly shows Avon with Brazil beat in funky font and has red yellow and orange block design at the bottom of the label.
You have to press the spray button on the pump a few times to get a good coverage on the body. I usually spray myself in the morning before I leave for work, if i go to a comfort break I spray again, after lunch to get rid of food smells and on my way home just in-case I meet anyone.
You can smell the orange flavour straight away when it has been spray, it is a mixture of other fruits but the orange flavour is pungent in the spray.
The usual price of the spray is £3.50 but it does go to half price a lot and I have only ever paid full price for the item once.
I really like this item and would be ideal for taking on holiday with you as it is so summery and will brighten up your day.