Jonni_boi

• Comments

Member since: 14.02.2008

27.10.2011 12:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

amazing storyline, by an amazing author, definitely one I can't recommend enough!

I was given this book from a friend, and I wasn't too sure if it was going to be my sort of thing. After reading "The Evil Seed" I did kind of wonder if a book by the same author is going to grip me as much as the other book did, but I don't even know why I questioned it... I loved this book more than you could imagine, and it's definitely up there amongst my favourite books of all time.

Joanne Harris is a British author who has written many books (most of them I have got and I'm just eager to read them). So far I have read "The Evil Seed", "Chocolat" and its sequel "The Lollipop Shoes". She was born to a French mother and an English father in her grandparents' sweet shop. Her great-grandmother had an odd reputation and enjoyed letting gullible people think she was a witch and a healer. These experiences fuelled Joanne Harris' novels and especially in this book, there are a lot of links from her life and this novel. I didn't think she would have been able to capture me, once again, in a delightful book. Her writing style is so engaging and very different to any I have come across, I know that if I pick a book up that was written by her I'd fully enjoy it, even if the story was totally boring and nothing great happened, her writing will grip me enough to enjoy it. She is currently writing a third book in this "Vianne Rocher" series, and I'm really looking forward to that.

This book is set in a quaint French village called Lansquenet. Vianne Rocher decides to open a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church. The people who live in the village are intrigued by her. However Father Reynaud believes she is a danger to his flock and decides to declare war on her and denounces Vianne's wares as the ultimate sin.

Vianne's shop-cum-cafe means that there is somewhere for secrets to be whispered, grievances to be aired, dreams to be tested. Vianne decides that the village needs an Easter Chocolate Festival, but this divides the community into a conflict that escalates into a 'Church not Chocolate' battle. Can Vianne make everyone believe that chocolate is a pleasurable thing? You'll have to read to find out.

The one thing that annoyed me when I was reading this book was that I had no chocolate in the house whatsoever. So when I was reading about the making of chocolate, it made me want to eat chocolate right then, I wanted to taste it as I was reading about it. I definitely suggest you get some sort of chocolate to eat while reading this otherwise, your mouth will water for the rest of eternity.

I really enjoyed this book, it's so detailed and very well written that the book absorbs you in the first few lines, and to try and get out so that you could eat a meal or something is really difficult. This is definitely one book that you don't want to finish, but you don't want to stop reading either. I like how Joanne Harris paints this perfect picture of a little village, in your head, and then creates these little cracks that may be something big if no one's there to prevent it. The ending is powerful, it's the only word I am able to describe it, and I definitely would re-read this book, if I wasn't stocked up with books that will last me a life-time. But I can definitely see myself reading this again in the future, and then again after that, and then again after that. It will be one that I'll probably keep for the rest of my life, and one that I'll just re-read over and over again.

Now the film... I have not watched it yet, this is because A) my mom hasn't read this book yet, and I always believe in reading a book before watching a film. Also we have this little house rule where everyone in the house must watch the film together, even if there are guests in the house. And B) I don't currently have it yet, but I know that I'm going to be really eager to watch it. The film stars Johnny Depp amongst many other well known actors and actresses, and the film has also won a few awards. There is no news that "The Lollipop Shoes" will be adapted into a sequel, but I really hope that it does.

This is definitely a book you should go and buy RIGHT NOW! Even if you think the story line isn't for you, I know that you really won't be disappointed. I also suggest you buy enough chocolate that will last you for about a week, because trust me you'll need some.

12.08.2011 22:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

A World Book Day 2008 novel

This book was specially written and published for World Book Day 2008. World Book Day is a worldwide celebration of books and reading. In 2008 it was their eleventh anniversary of World Book Day in the United Kingdom and Ireland. World Book Day is made possible by generous sponsorship from National Book Tokens, participating publishers, authors and booksellers. Booksellers who accept the £1 Book Token kindly agree to bear the full cost of redeeming it.

I used to be obsessed with World Book Day when I was younger, mainly because well-known children and adult novelists had contributed by writing a book especially for World Book Day. However recently things have changed and it is usually up and coming authors who write the books, which don't really interest me no more. Also there is normally two different books put together, one starting from the front, and one starting on the back, and they end at the middle, this usually infuriates me as there might be a short story I am really interested in, and the other story might be one I have no interest in what so ever. This usually really annoys me, especially since the two books tend to have nothing in common.

Neil Gaiman is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors, and it is all down to you people writing your reviews; otherwise I wouldn't have bought my first Neil Gaiman novel. I have most of his books added to my wish list, and I can't wait to read more. So Far I have read "The Graveyard Book", "Smoke & Mirrors", "Neverwhere", "American Gods", "Neverwhere the Graphic Novel", "Coraline", "Odd & The Frost Giants", "Stardust", "Interworld" and "Creatures of the Night". This is quite a collection of books I've read so far. He has a unique writing style that I can't help but read more and more of. He captures me every single time and the different stories he creates leaves me shocked that he's managed to write them perfectly. I really can't wait to read more from him.

Here's what the book is about..... The winter isn't ending. Nobody knows why. And Odd has run away from home, even though he can barely walk and has to use a crutch. Out in the forest he encounters a bear, a fox, and an eagle. Three creatures with a strange story to tell.

Now Odd is faced with a stranger journey than he had ever imagines. A journey to save Asgard, City of the Norse Gods, from the Frost Giants who have invaded it. It's going to take a very special kind of boy to defeat the most dangerous of all the Frost Giants and rescue the mighty Gods. Someone cheerful and infuriating and clever. Someone just like Odd...

This is such an interesting book, and one that can interest both children and adults, and it's quite interesting. As with most of Neil Gaiman books, he produces so unique and something that can easily be remembered by many people, children easily can relate to Odd, and can definitely learn a lot from the key character. The animals are really interesting, and while I was reading the book I really wanted to be Odd, just for that split second. To be able to meet and talk to these amazing, but deadly creatures of the Earth would be fascinating and intriguing.

I like how Odd easily become friends with the animals, and also proves that we are the same as them, and although we may be higher up the food chart than they are, we are still afraid of them, and it really surprises me that we are more afraid of creatures, than we are of anything else. And I really like how it comes across in the book, and it is really incredible, that Neil Gaiman managed to think up this superb story.

About six moths ago there were rumours of a sequel for this book called "The Tales of Odd", and I believe the book was confirmed by Neil Gaiman. However as of recently there has been no more about it and all websites that mentioned the sequel soon deleted what they put. For example: on "Fantasticfiction.co.uk" they had the book cover along with a synopsis and the release date of the sequel, however now they don't and there's no sign of it anywhere, which is a little confusing, and the only thing I could think of is that Neil Gaiman or his publishers decided it wasn't a strong enough sequel or there wasn't enough hype around it. Whatever the reason, I think it's wrong and I really would like to read a sequel, but maybe it isn't meant to be.

This book also has illustrations in, which are really appealing, and works well with the book, and I really think children would be interested with them. They are illustrated by Mark Buckingham. He is a well-known comic-book illustrator, and is best friends with Neil Gaiman, in fact.... Neil Gaiman served as his best man during his wedding in 2006. So I think they must have enjoyed working together. If these drawings are anything to go by, he is really good at what he does, and children would be definitely interested in the drawings.

Overall this book is an entertaining read for both adults and children, and I bet most people would be interested in reading it. It would be nice to see more reviews on this book, as I know I can't be the only one who's interested in this book. And for the Neil Gaiman fans who are worried that his children's books aren't as good as his adult novels, then I suggest you give them a go, otherwise you'll never know the answer, but in my opinion, I think they are just as good, although they are shorter due to the fact that he is interesting kids, and not adults.

27.07.2011 12:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

the fifth book in the Roswell High Series!

I haven't written a review on these Roswell High novels for quite some time, I don't really know why it has been so long, but it could be because they are "pocket books" and I tend not to have a lot to say about them, therefore not putting enough thought and interest into my review. Anyway here goes.

This book is the fifth book in a series called "Roswell High". The complete series is written by Melinda Metz, who has wrote a number of books and has contributed to many series, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to Animorphs (as a Ghost Writer). I have only ever read this series from her, and although I have many of her books in my collection, I have yet to come around to reading them.

Roswell High Series of Books:
          1) The Outsider
          2) The Wild One
          3) The Seeker
          4) The Watcher
          5) The Intruder (this book)

There are more books that follow on from this series, but there are some novels that have been based on the TV series, which was based on these books, I will get back around to this soon, and I hope I don't confuse you when I do.

As I have already explained Melinda Metz has written quite a few books although I have only ever read this series of books from her. I am really interested in what her other books will be like, since this series is really gripping. I think she has a unique writing style that many others have failed to pull off; she manages to capture the essence of each character and jump from one person to the next in her well, thought-out storyline. I love how one minute you could be one person, and then the next minute you'll be someone else.

Before I talk about the plot line, I'd like to introduce to you who's who and what has been happening, since it wouldn't make sense otherwise. There is Max, Isabel and Michael. They have kept a secret from the rest of humanity for over a decade. But when Liz Ortecho gets shot accidentally, Max risks everything in an attempt to save her; this all appears at the start of Book 1.

Max, Isabel and Michael are the survivors of the 1947 UFO crash known as the Roswell UFO incident. They are from the planet Antar. Upon emerging from stasis pods, they appeared to be 7-year-old orphaned humans. Max and Isabel are adopted by a loving pair of attorneys, the Evanses. Michael, who was not so lucky, entered the foster care system, bouncing from household to household with lots of families rejecting him. They each have superpowers that become really strong when they all combine with one another.

The aliens decide to tell Liz and her 2 best friends: Maria and Alex, about their secret powers, and they all learn to trust one another. But now suspicions are rising from Sheriff Valenti and his son (Liz's ex-boyfriend) Kyle. So the six of them attempt to push the suspicions aside, but is it really that simple?

The Intruder follows on from the 4th book "The Watcher". Michael is trapped in a secret compound. He's not afraid, but he is more concerned for his friends Max, Maria, Liz, Alex and Isabel. He needs to get out before he betrays the Roswell residents whom Sheriff Valenti is dying to capture. And once the Sheriff has the information he wants, he won't be needing Michael anymore. However there are more problems... Isabel used to think of Michael as her brother, but now he has been captured, she seems to be only ever thinking about him, they share the same dreams and thoughts and emotions while they are away from one another, could this mean there's a special bond between them? Are they meant to be together? Time is running out for Isabel to know for sure...

This book introduces two new characters, and after seeing another alien in the past few books, and then he not being in the next book kind of makes me want to know more about the other people in Roswell. Michael finds two new characters in the secret compound, who are Adam, who is an alien, he was released from the fifth pod in the UFO, he was raised in captivity of the Clean Slate compound, and calls Sheriff Valenti "Daddy". This is a really interesting new character and could possibly split our nice little group in to two different directions. The other character is Cameron Whinger, she is runaway redhead hired by Valenti to obtain information from Michael. However this doesn't work well as they become romantically linked. She is a very strong character, but only appears in 2 books from the series (other book being book No.6 "The Stowaway").

I totally enjoyed this book, well, okay, I've totally enjoyed the whole series so far, and I'm only half way through all the books. I like to take my time in reading book series, as sometimes, you may end up reading too much of that one series and it can sometimes get boring, and your reading pace slows. I don't think that would ever happen to this series of books, but I prefer to be safe than sorry when it comes to series, and that sometimes explains why my reviews of book series are pretty far apart from one another.

Again this is another book that is published by "Pocket Books". Other series I am reading from "Pocket Books" are "Charmed", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch". Pocket books are quickly becoming a big part of my life, and I enjoy how quick, light and easy they are to read. It usually takes me between a day and 3 days to read one of their books, depending on how much time within those days one might have. I definitely am becoming obsessed with Pocket Books, and will probably end up adding many of their publications to my wish list, as I don't see how any of the books they've published will be unsatisfying.

This series is definitely one I'll be reading over and over again, just so that the stories keep fresh in my mind. They are definitely a series of books that I'd really like to send here there and everywhere as I feel not enough people know how great this series is. It is very difficult to describe how much you enjoyed a particular book without giving spoilers away. But I have to admit, that there are many people who have read these books, and have loved them as much as I have, so if you think it's your sort of thing then go for it, and I swear you won't be disappointed.

A TV Series was released back in 1999 entitled "Roswell". At the time Melinda Metz had only released the first three books in this series, and may have managed to release the next couple of books, she and her editor "Laura J. Burns", both became "staff writers" for the TV series. The last book was written in 2000, so this may suggest that the TV Series was lightly based on the books. Although I have not seen the TV series, I have got the DVD box sets. And I still haven't watched them. So I don't think I can comment much on the TV Series, but it was definitely based on this series of books.

These books then went on to be re-published, with actors from the show appearing on the covers (which are the books I have). The TV series also spawned spin-off book series, these books focus on events that are largely unexplained in the TV series. 11 more books were created. 3 of them were published by Pocket books, who ceased publication when the TV series ended. The 8 other books were published by "Simon Spotlight Entertainment". The first four novels were published as a bridge between season 2 and season 3, whereas the other 4 novels are set after the events of the TV series. They have all stopped publication, which kind of explains why some of these books that are on Amazon tend to be a hell of a lot of money from the "New & Used", one of which is over £100, just for a pocket-sized book. I have never read any of these 11 books, but I am interested in them to see if they are worth however much people are selling them for.

*Note*, for anyone who's wondering if they recognise the girl on the cover, it is Katherine Heigl; she played Isabel in this TV series (which I have just only found out). Anyone who's wondering who she is, she has had big success recently in Grey's Anatomy, 27 Dresses, Knocked Up, The Killers and The Ugly Truth. And probably lots of other films and TV series.

Overall I totally enjoyed this book and I would definitely recommend this book to ANYONE. I don't see how anyone could dislike this series, except for the fact that each book is around 150 pages each, but apart from that I don't think there is anything wrong with this series. If you're looking for a new supernatural book series, this is definitely for you. If you are obsessed with Aliens, then this book is for you. If you like the fast paced secrets that always keep you reading more and more, this book is for you. If you've ever been to Roswell, then this book is definitely for you, as you would totally be able to imagine what the characters are going through and be able to imagine the scenes where it is set. If anyone's heard about the UFO landing in Roswell (which would probably be 90% of the people reading this review), this book is definitely for you. Take a chance and believe me when I say that you should go out, or go online, and buy a few books from this series, as I know for a fact that you'll probably enjoy it as much as I did.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope I have interested at least a handful of you into adding the first book from this series to your wish lists.

07.07.2011 19:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

the fourth book in the Charmed book series

I have been reading these Charmed books for quite some time, as you can tell by the reviews. I do not believe in reading a complete series together, and prefer to space a series out, by reading numerous books in between before reading the next one in line, and although that builds up my sequels (which are all under my bed), that's just me as I know that if I read a whole series all at once I'm going to get bored with it.

This book is the FOURTH book in the series, it was a strong follow up, and I totally enjoyed it! This series, all have different authors for each of the books, so they don't exactly link up, and one could read them in whatever order one would like, but I'm the sort of person who can't read a book unless I've read the previous ones in the series.

The previous books (Just in case you want to read them before hand):
            1) The Power of Three - Eliza Willard (5 Stars)
            2) Kiss of Darkness - Brandon Alexander (5 Stars)
            3) The Crimson Spell - F. Goldsborough (5 Stars)
            4) Whispers From the Past - Rosalind Noonan (5 Stars) (this book)

All of the above books I've read all have a review added to it, which was posted before I received the 1st series of the TV programme, and so the information may not be as correct as this review will be. The reviews are also not very good, and since then my reviews have improved.

Charmed has recently become a big part in my life, when I was young, my best friend (back then, not so much now), wouldn't stop talking about this show called Charmed, and after a while I decided to start watching it, but I never got into it as it was always on at the wrong time and no one else in the household was interested in it. Besides I had missed the first few seasons and that could be the reason why I never got into it. So I decided to read the books (again it was my best friend back then, who got me into the books). And from that day on I was gripped.

Nowadays, I have bought the complete box sets and I'm slowly going through the DVDs, I would write a review on them, but I'm obsessed with writing book reviews at the moment, but I'm sure you'll find reviews from other members quite easily. Anyhow, I learned quickly that apart from the first book, the stories don't follow the episodes and have totally different storylines. The first book however is totally the same as the first episode of the first series. For people who loved Charmed back in the day, you'll get to read never before seen episodes in these exciting pocket books, who can resist?

The books are published by Pocket Books (whereas, with Buffy and other series, they are published by Archway paperbacks, which I recently learned is a subsidiary of Pocket books, so I've been right all along by calling the books pocket books!). However where they got the name from, I'm not sure, the books really are small and are easy to carry around, but you'll have to have quite big pockets to fit these books into, but they're also light which means you'll finish them in no time.

Rosalind Noonan is a new author I've never heard of and she has two new books on their way out, which looks interesting. And if they're as good as this book is then who knows where they would take her. She has led an interesting life, growing up in America, and then went travelling through Europe, where she attended a high school in Germany. She now lives in America again, and it looks like she's ready to become an author, I just hope she isn't another author we're going to have to leave behind, like so many Point Horror authors. I get upset that a really good author can disappear because they never got popular. I hope Rosalind Noonan has her chance. After this review, her books will appear on my wish list, I definitely want to read more from her.

Now about the book. On the back there is a little "spell", well it's a rhyme, but witches in films and TV series usually chant something like this, and I especially like this one:
            "A shard of mirror for a broken reflection
            A pocket watch with a cracked face
            A cache of herbs to burn for protection
            All will send me to another time and place."

The rhyme goes well with the story which mainly focuses on Phoebe Halliwell. She is having a VERY bad day. A demon has pulled her centuries into the past. She has no way to tell her sisters she's alive, no way to get back to her own time and the demon is trying to kill her. Back in the present, Prue and Piper are devastated at losing their sister. But that isn't their only problem. Something is wrong with them, too. Somehow, they're turning evil... But why? And how can they stop it - without the Power of Three?

The first few books in the series feature PRUE. I haven't quite watched Season 3 of Charmed the TV Series, just yet, but I am aware that Prue dies. This is reflected in the books to come as Prue is no longer on the covers and therefore I presume the new girl and half-sister "Paige", will appear in the books instead of Prue. This will definitely be interesting as we get a whole new character.

I fully loved this book, I really did enjoy it. I was fascinated at the unexpected things that arise in this book, and I really didn't expect what happened to Phoebe to actually happen, and I was interested in knowing more about what she was going to do in the past. And how she was going to defeat the demon. I also liked how it kept us up-to-date with Prue and Piper, so we were aware of what was happening to them and we wouldn't get too attached to Phoebe in the past.

For anyone who has never watched Charmed and has no clue what I'm talking about, here's a quick run-down. Prue, Piper and Phoebe are all sisters of different ages Prue being the oldest and Phoebe being the youngest. They are all witches, but they are new at it as their grandmother locked away their powers to protect them, when they were young. After they all start living in their old house, they discover their powers and that also allowed demons and warlocks to be aware that they are witches. So they are always getting in to tricky situations. (This is shown in the first episode of the first TV Season, and in the first book: "The Power of Three")

I like how I was always kept in surprise, and I'm surprised at the cover of my book, as it's been creased; I think I got into it a bit too much, and ended up gripping the book a little too hard, as the suspense built up and up and up. I loved the whole story as well, it definitely sounds as if it could be a Charmed episode, and as you read it you can definitely imagine watching it on TV. But Pocket Books are famous for publishing these sorts of books. And so it really is like sitting back and watching an episode you've never before seen, but instead you're reading it.

I think this book took me about a day to read, if that. There are only 179 pages, and since the book is "pocket-size" or small compared to other books, you could finish it in no time. If you took a week to read this I literally would die from surprise, because no matter how slow your reading speed is, and no matter how much time you have, I'm sure you would finish this in less than a week.

This series, and this book is definitely for fans of the TV series, people who have enjoyed the episodes will definitely love this book, and since Charmed was unfortunately cancelled in 2006, and the re-runs are rarely shown, and are more common on the not-much watched channels, these books will definitely get you're mind rolling, you'd want to buy the box sets just to remember what the episodes were like. And this really is how the books make you feel, which kind of makes me eager to read more Charmed books.

If you've never ever watched a Charmed episode, but like the idea, and don't really want to spend a lot of money buying the box sets, I severely suggest you buy the first book in the series. I read the first two books before my friend bought me the first season box set for Christmas a few years ago. I am obsessed with Charmed, and I'm really upset that there is only eight seasons, although I will take my time getting through them all. I shall also take my time in reading the books, I want to collect them all and read them right now, however, I want to experience Charmed for the rest of my life, so the slower I get through the book series, the happier I'll be. Also there are spin-offs, from the seasons, which are comic books and graphic novels, which are released as "Charmed Season 9", apparently they have been a big hit, and I definitely cannot wait until I finish the TV series, as I want to explore these comics. I definitely hope that they release a "Charmed Season 10" by the time I get around to them, and if there's more than that, I will be filled with glee.

I can't recommend this book enough, along with the rest of the series. I love Charmed, and I think I always will do. And if they ever do more spin-offs, I will be there, and if it gets remade or a new season is created, I will be well over the moon!

With the last book being written in 2008 (which I haven't got yet, and don't think I will for a number of years), it looks like Pocket Books has stopped publishing new Charmed books, and although there are rumours that there are more books on their way, I very much doubt Pocket Books will release any more, since there has been a gap of three years so far. However "Charmed Season 9", which are the comic books, have really picked up and have become really popular, will Pocket Books attempt to jump onto the bandwagon and release more Charmed books? Well we can only hope.

I hope I have interest a number of you into this book, and I sure hope I've helped many of you decide if this book is right for you. Thank you all for reading. And I hope I see there are new Charmed reviews popping up.

27.06.2011 17:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

a Buffy The Vampire Slayer book

Ever since I was young I've been secretly interested in Buffy the Vampire Slayer; however I never tuned into any of the episodes as my parents thought it was a scary show and that I shouldn't watch it. So I came across the books, and realised that there is many different series (along with some comics) and even Fantasticfiction.com doesn't have a clue on the correct order. So I just chose a series and started reading,

So far the books I've read:
              1) The Harvest
              2) Halloween Rain
              3) Coyote Moon (this book)

As I have already mentioned, I was banned from watching Buffy, however I made my parents sit and watch the first series and they are totally gripped with it, and although I haven't had a sorry, I know that they mean it somewhere. Buffy, for those of you who don't know, was a major big TV series between 1997 and 2003 (which sort of explains the ban since I'd only been 4 when it started and 10 when it ended.) It had span lots of major merchandise, from novels (like this one) to comics and even games (that are still being released). There are a lot of rumours that it is going to return, Anthony Head (who played Buffy's Watcher) mentioned a bit in an interview with Digital Spy, but it sounded as if he was hiding something big. Furthermore Sarah Michelle Geller (who played Buffy) said "You show me a script; you show me that it works, and you show me that [the] audience can accept that, [and] I'd probably be there. Those are what my hesitations are." Suggesting that scripts may have already been done, but not to the satisfaction of some people. I hope it returns as I'd love to actually watch it on live TV, however, I will have to buy all the box sets and watch them all the way through before it starts, which will be a nightmare!

Anyway, the author of this book is John Vornholt. I hear you say who? Well that's what I'm wondering, so just going to check the internet and the description in the book to see if it will shed some light. He has had many different careers, from being a stuntman to writing animated cartoons, but he enjoys writing books most of all. John Vornholt has written over a dozen "Star Trek" books, plus novels set in such diverse universes as "Babylon 5" and "Alex Mack". He lives in Arizona with his wife, and their two kids. He used to see a lot of coyotes in the hills of Hollywood, where he lived for seventeen years, and he often sees them now in the Sonoran Desert. Hence, why the book is about coyotes. He has written four "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" books and also a "Salem's Tails" book, which explains why I recognise the last name, as those books are on my shelf hiding somewhere, waiting to be read. I was gripped when I read this book, but I don't think he'll ever become a famous author, since he has no new books out anytime soon, and I do not think he'll be able to compete against the bestsellers of today. But maybe I'll be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

So here's what the book is about:
              As longs as there have been vampires, there has been the Slayer. One girl in all the world, to find them where they gather and to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their number.

The carnival looks like just the thing to give Buffy and Xander and Willow, a break from staking vampires. Some food, a few thrills, what more could Buffy want? But then Buggy senses something evil behind this carnival. Xander and Willow aren't so sure. They don't buy what Buffy's saying that the carneys are somehow connected to the corpses turning up around Sunnydale. It doesn't help that her two best friends are each interested in someone at the carnival. Which puts the burden of proof on Buffy. Can she find out what's going on in time to save her friends? Or has the Slayer become the prey?

I fully enjoyed this book. It has little connection with the series, it has the sae setting and the same characters but totally different storyline, which makes it gripping and therefore, because there is no episode that has the same storyline as the book should interest you more, as this is a never-before-seen episode, but it's in book format.

The book is pocket size (although I don't think it would fit into a pocket, I'm not too sure), which makes it an easy-read. It doesn't take you long, and you can finish it within a day easily given the time. It doesn't feel like a chore at all, if you have a gripping book reading is enjoyable. And what better way than to use your free time, than delving into a Buffy novel and catching up on all those lost years without Buffy.

I like how this was a sequel, the fact that I could get into the book within seconds without having to bother with the introductions of which character is which and what their role is. (In the first book: The Harvest. That book was EXACTLY the same as the first episode of Series 1 of Buffy TV Series). So In my opinion, all pocket books (or in this case "Archway paperback" which I always mistake for pocket books) are easy to get into, and you don't have to worry about knowing the characters as they presume you watched the TV Programme.

I also liked the plot outline, it was well constructed that you could actually imagine this being an episode of Buffy, furthermore it seemed more like the episodes than "Halloween Rain" did, and it wasn't too over the top. I really like how I'm watching the TV series while I'm in the middle of the books, it makes it more interesting and I have to keep up, so that I know which characters are which and what they are like.

My favourite character will have to be Willow, she is such a vulnerable character, and she is just like that in these books. But then that is to be expected as the books are based on the TV series. DO NOT mix that up; the books are different because the series was made first, so it's not the TV series fault that it doesn't follow the books. Many people get this confused, since there are films and TV series being created now that are based on books (such as Twilight and the Vampire Diaries). Whereas Buffy, Charmed and Sabrina the Teenage Witch books were created after or during the TV programme (This has all started up again, as Glee have started creating their own books).

Overall, I have given this book 4.5 stars, but it won't allow me to do that so I've put 5 stars. For a truly gripping tale that spun me here there and everywhere and I had no clue how this was going to end up. For imaginative ideas, since the characters HAD to be the same, however John Vornholt took them out of character, with a specific meaning which worked really well. I also think that it is quick to read and doesn't take that long is always a great factor. My only problem was that some bits were predictable, but don't people expect that from a pocket book?

Thank you for reading and I hope I have interested some of you at least, into reading this book.

16.06.2011 16:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A book written from a dog's perspective

It seems like well over a year since I last read this, and m extensive "need to review" list is getting longer and longer and longer. So this review could be a lot more concise if I had reviewed it the day after I read it.

I totally believed that this story was real and it came as a surprise to find out that it is a work of fiction. The author has made this book really well, and it is captivating, and at the end of it I think you truly could think that it was real, and that it actually happened.

Garth Stein is definitely an author I'm going to look out for in the future, and all his books will appear on my wish list shortly after this review, because if he made me think a book was real, means he is a superb writer and hopefully it follows through to his other books. And maybe he'll end up as one of my favourite authors...... But we'll have to wait and see.

Since it has been over a year I have read this, I don't think I can sell it well enough with the description I was going to give you (yes I've tried 5 times now and I can't describe it well enough) So, after reading fantasticfiction.co.uk's description, I think it's only right to put it on here, as it would be pretty similar to what I would have put, but it is a lot better:

"Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.

On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny's wife; the three-year battle over their daughter, Zoë, whose maternal grandparents pulled every string to gain custody. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoë at his side. Having learned what it takes to be a compassionate and successful person, the wise canine can barely wait until his next lifetime, when he is sure he will return as a man.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it."

Now don't be put off with the whole fact that it is linked with motor racing. I am the only person in my entire family, who hates and detests motor racing and the F1 and anything else. Well I hate sport full stop! I'm the missing link out of our family, but I like to be different. And even though this book has quite a big link with racing, I totally fell in love with the story, and I think I may just read it again sometime in the future as the story seems real and it captured me right from the start, just like it will with you when you start reading it.

There is quite a few heart-felt scenes and YES I am turning into the biggest softy ever, this is the third book that has made me cry (1st being "The Host - Stephenie Meyer", 2nd being "Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson"). And usually I don't get upset about these sorts of scenes, but for some reason I've started getting emotional over things, maybe it's because I'm getting older.... Or maybe it's because the author's writing style has gripped me that much and then ends up breaking my heart. When I get around to reading it again, if I cry again, we'll all know that it's the author's amazing writing style.

I really like the cover of the book that I've got as it has a golden retriever on the front who looks adorable, however some of the other covers have different dogs on them and I don't like the other dogs, so I'm really happy that the person who sent me this book gave me this cover, but personally I think I would've waited and waited to read it, maybe I'd still be trying to read it, if it had a different dog on the front, as the other covers doesn't appeal t me, and I'd probably not get round to reading it. And I know "don't judge a book by its cover", but everyone does, otherwise you'd end up buying ever book you see when you walk into a bookshop.

I found this book realistic and extremely interesting. I have a dog (called "Harvey") he's a border-collie, and he is occasionally really intelligent, but doesn't most dog owners say that about their own dogs? Anyway I imagined Enzo being Harvey, and I could totally see Harvey doing the exact same things if our family went into so much turmoil. Maybe that's the reason why I'm so attached to this story, and why it gripped me straight away. And although this brilliant book made me cry, the ending is not at all sad, it is quite interesting how it has been put, and a really nice ending, one that I really liked and found memorable. It is definitely a book that I'm planning to read again in the future sometime, and I really do think I will love it just as much as I did a whole year ago.

I officially gave this book a 4.5 stars, but since it don't let me, I'll have t give it a five, even though I very much feel that this book deserves a drop of half a star, but no more, since some bits can be considered as slow going to a certain extent but it jumps back in not long after. Those bits are when Enzo talks about motor racing, and I kind of switched off. But I'm pretty sure that the people who do like the F1 and other motor sports will totally enjoy these bits!

So who would enjoy this book? Well I think it goes without saying that people who like motor racing would really like this book, which is really weird as it makes this book stand out as it isn't a common theme found in these books (NOTE: you DO NOT have to like motor racing to like this book), fans of "Marley & Me" would definitely like this (I haven't read Marley and Me so I can't comment), fans of "Dewey: The library cat who Touched The World" as it is similar to an extent, anyone who likes books taken from a pet's perspective you'll really enjoy this! Also people who like Family Tragedies and books about Family love, as those are strong issues found in this book.

A lot of author's have recommended this book from Jodi Picoult (Best known for "My Sister's Keeper") to Sara Gruen (Best Known for "Water for Elephants"). I am also someone who would totally recommend this book. And it should definitely end up on your wish lists at some point.

Thank you all for reading and I really hope I have interested at least a few of you into reading this book, as I totally believe it is one you will like!

27.05.2011 21:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

a book about the possible future!

I got this book on a whim. I had previously read a review about this book, which was rated it highly. Then I saw promotion for it here and there. So to try something new, decided to go for it, if I didn't like it I could easily sell it, or pass it on. To be totally honest, I am amazed that I fully enjoyed this book, and I have got it!

I hadn't heard of Scott Westerfeld before reading this book, I had heard that he was the author of "Uglies" but that was all that I knew about him. I always like stumbling across new authors that manage to spike my interest in the first few pages of one of their books. It shows a likeable writing style that interests me into exploring other books written by them. He is a software designer and a composer of music, as well as an author. He has written many books, but he is mostly known for "Uglies". Some of his books have been commissioned to become films, but whether they will or not is a different story, but we'll see.

Uglies, has quickly become a well-known teen/young adult novel, and sometimes is used in schools. Unlike Twilight, it has failed to maintain its popularity, but hopefully it will get it back.

Uglies follows a girl called Tally. She is almost sixteen, and at sixteen you become a "Pretty". She talks about how much fun she used to have with a guy called "Peris" who recently became sixteen and he is now a "Pretty". She can't wait to be with him again.

One day she is really bored, and it's only a few days until she becomes a "Pretty". She meets this other girl called Shay, who has the exact same birthday as Tally. Shay is riding a hover board, and soon teaches Tally how to ride one. Their friendship grows quickly and they become best of friends. But Shay isn't sure she wants to be a "Pretty", and on the day before their birthday she makes a disappearance.

In a desperate decision Tally goes out to find her, breaking every single rule she has grown up knowing. She finds a resistance who have been "Ugly" all their lives. And who wants things to go back to the way they were in the stories found in history books. They want everyone to look "ugly", that way everything will be civilised, and there won't be people giving a hell of a lot of plastic surgery so people all look the same.

But will they do it? And to what drastic measures must they go through?

This book was AMAZING. People who like "The Hunger Games Trilogy" should go and get this book. It is BETTER than Twilight, and gives that futuristic feel that you could so believe might happen in the future. It also reminds me a bit of "Tomorrow, When the War Began" anyone who have read both books would realise why I think this as they are similar.

This is definitely a teen/young adult sort of novel; however this does not stop adults from reading it. Just look on here at the amount of young adult books that have been read by adults, such as Twilight and The Hunger Games. This is totally a book you should read!

I found this story gripping from the start, it must have been because of the writing style, but I think because this story was interesting and different from any story I have come across, and the ending is a definite surprise. I felt intent on reading this book more and more and I loved all of it, especially the bit when they ride on an old roller coaster on their hover boards, although they only knew what it was by the school books. (I feel sorry for them that there are no theme parks! They're really missing out).

I have to admit that I dislike the cover. The cover intentionally interests teenage girls or young adults who are girls. This usually would put the book under "chick-lit" (which in my opinion is not a genre at all since there are boys who enjoy "chick-lit" just as much), however this book is far from the usual "chick-lit" stories, and so why mis-lead the readers. However their intentions for doing this could be because they thought it is a bigger market and may interest this type of audience into reading this. However I think it is mis-leading and not something that publishers should do.

There are a lot of vivid parts of the book that you can imagine easily, which may be the reason why Twenty Century Fox has got the rights for making a film out of this book (which is supposed to be released this year according to Wikipedia) however there's so little information about this film, that I doubt anything has really happened with it. And to be honest, I very much doubt they will make it better than the book!

This is definitely an exciting, face-paced, exhilarating, action-packed, sort of book, it is one everyone will enjoy and a book you should go and get as soon as you can.

Thank you all for reading and I hope that I have interested some of you (at least) into reading this book!

04.05.2011 17:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

A FANTASTIC supernatural book, that deserves a lot more credit than what it's getting.

I cannot believe it has almost been a full year since I read this book. And I actually know this because there is a story behind this book. At College a General Studies trip was organised, according to the teachers it was compulsory (since General Studies is compulsory in our college), and so people paid for the trip to London, we went to the Imperial War Museum, and we were promised that we'll have time to go into other museums and do lots more exciting things. When the day came around, I remembered thinking "I MUST take a book on the way down on the train, I MUST." Guess what? I forgot to take a book.

This is usually a BIG disaster; I hate not having something to do when I go on a train journey. Anyway, me and some of my friends were wondering why the tickets were so cheap, our General Studies teacher has put us as children (although we were all over 16), we got stopped a few times and he had to explain that he messed it up, not only that, but we lost someone on the way down to London. He happened to have got on the wrong train, although that train went to the same station in London. On the way down I occupied myself by asking my friend Sam, to lend me his iPad, and so I went on the internet wi-fi, and looked at my wish list, hoping to remember one of the many books on there, so that when I get to finally shop in Waterstones, I'll be able to pick a book off my wish list. After a lot of boring time spent in The Imperial War Museum (Let me tell you, if you are not interested in War, DON'T GO!), I ended up just pretending to look interested. Anyway, I got to Waterstones, found this book, remembering "Sherrilyn Kenyon" books were on my wish list, and it was 3 for 2, so I couldn't resist. I only found out later on, that all 3 books I bought were not on my wish list. :(

I read some of it on the train, hearing snickers from the people in my class who were behind us, some of them saying "What's the point in buying a book to read on the way back home?" I ignored them, they may have thrown a few more comments my way, but this book captured me in the first few pages, and I ended up in a world of my own, Sam had to vigorously shake me when it was time to get off the train. I finished the book at home, and I truly believe it is one of the best books I have come across in a while, and definitely one I will not stop recommending to people! Personally, all that hassle and being bored in all the museums, was totally utterly worth it! I would have not got this book if I didn't go to London, so although I dislike General Studies, I am grateful it led me to this book.

Right, I am aware some people will tell me that how I acquired the book is not at all needed, and I agree, however in my opinion people like to know what made me pick this book up, and why I liked it so much. If there's a story to tell, why not tell it?

I first came across this author (as some of you may know) in a collection of stories called "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding". The story that Sherrilyn Kenyon wrote for that book was not rated very highly by me, and although her writing style captured me from the start, I was very unaware of what was happening in the book and didn't understand what it was all about. I later found out that it was part of a series that she had written called "Dark Hunter", and the story was pretty much a continuum of a previous book in the series. This explained why the story didn't make sense, however her writing style gripped me again. I have later found out that I will be receiving the "Dark-Hunter" series from a friend, and so I may be able to match some things up. Furthermore, this book ("Chronicles of Nick: Infinity") is based on the "Dark-Hunter" series, however do not think you have to read the "Dark-Hunter" series to read this. I didn't and I still loved this book. Her writing style shined in this book, and I don't think I can explain how much I fell in love with this story. Sherrilyn Kenyon uses a pseudonym name "Kinley MacGregor". Thanks to someone on here, I now know why authors use pseudonym; it is so that they are able to write in a different genre without being criticised for it. I also wondered why most of her main characters in the books she has written are all male. Thanks to fantasticfiction.com I learnt: "Raised in the middle of eight boys, and currently outnumbered by the Y chromosomes in her home, she realizes the most valuable asset a woman has for coping with men is a sense of humour (not to mention a large trash bag and a pair of tongs)." Personally I think it is great, as it prevents these books from becoming the sort of books only women read, by making the main character a guy, also influences male readers into reading these books, and therefore I am not ashamed to read her books in public and at college.

Right, on with what the book is about. Nick Gautier is our main character, he is fourteen years old and he thinks he knows everything. He's tough, streetwise and sarcastic and secretly caring. However everything changes on the night his friends attempt to kill him......

Saved by a mysterious warrior whose out of this world, Nick is sucked into a whole new world of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

It doesn't take Nick long to learn that the human world is merely a veil for a much dangerous one. A world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

Now he has to fight, but before that, all his fellow students are quickly becoming zombies, and Nick is next on the menu.

Nick has to try to survive, all while making his mother be none-the-wiser, and so she thinks everything is fine. Her has to hide his new friends from her, has to hide the chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the Demon from entering his brain. Without getting grounded or suspended. Think high-school's tough - try this!

This book is pretty much a pure escapism type of book, it is the sort of book supernatural fans would totally enjoy! And I like how it has breached into the teen novels of Dark Romance, there is so many out and about at the moment, but one read of this from you, will make this book stand out. I also reckon there is a slight hidden meaning to the book, and although I am fully aware that Demons and Zombie and Were-Wolves and Vampires are not real (sorry for the people who don't agree with me), but there truly is a hidden meaning. I think this hidden meaning is that the world is never as it seems, people aren't who they say they are, and this is easily shown through friends. I'm pretty sure everyone has had a friend, and they've fallen out over either something big or something small, but it's all to do with trust. You trust this person and they end up stabbing you in the back, maybe they were your enemy from the start and were using "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer", but I reckon everyone has that friend they've fallen out with, and that shows that the world is never as it seems. This book definitely shows that.

In my opinion I think it is definitely difficult to link this book with other similar books, HECK! The only similar series of novels would have to be the "Dark-Hunter" series, since it has a direct link. However I reckon Twilight fans would be obsessed with this book (yes I am a twilight fan). Also similar books might include "The Hunger Games" as these books are just as in captivating; "Anita Blake" series, because it contains the exact same bunch of supernatural beings; and maybe the "Sookie Stackhouse" series, as it also contains supernatural beings. I reckon there are a lot more similar books, but my mind has gone blank, but if you are interested in those series I have mentioned above, this is definitely the right book for you.

I have recently found out that there is a sequel out, or coming out. It is called "Invincible", and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. If I have some spare money here and there, I might get it that way, I just know it will be an amazing sequel, and one I will revel in reading. However I reckon I'm going to have to read this book again (which I don't mind doing), just before I read the sequel, as I reckon I'm going to forget this storyline by the time I get the sequel.

I could so see this novel being turned into a film. I can picture it already, and I can picture the success this book would have if a film came out. I reckon a lot of people will love the film, and that will definitely interest others into seeing it. I very much doubt a film would be made, but there's no harm in wishing and hoping, maybe this will happen *fingers crossed*

So I fully loved this book and it's definitely one you should go and buy this minute, well the decent thing to do would be to rate this review, and then go and buy it! I totally enjoyed it and although some things I did not quite understand as it has been taken from the "Dark-Hunter" novels, I was gripped in seconds. This book has an amazing ending, but it also has an amazing middle, and a very definitive beginning. I can't rate this book up enough. You'll just going to have to trust me when I say this book is for you!

I have rated this book 5 stars out of 5. This is definitely a MUST-READ book, even if you think it's not for you. This book put me into a whole new world, that difficult to come out from, I felt bad once I finished it and I couldn't pick up another book for some time as this story-line wouldn't get out of my head. Maybe a part of me is still locked away in that imaginary world. Or maybe, just maybe, Sherrilyn Kenyon wrote about the real world, maybe this book is not fiction, but in fact non-fiction, and you, yeah you there reading this review, maybe, just maybe you're a supernatural being pretending to be human......

Thank you for reading, I hope I have interested at least someone to read this book, and I'd be extremely happy to find out I have. I will also take an interest in any reviews of this book pops up, as I doubt anyone will rate this book lower than 3 stars. Yeah! This book is actually that great!

04.04.2011 18:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

An Anita Blake Novel

Here's another Anita Blake novel, and as I'm sure you are all aware, I am slowly going through every book of this series. This is the THIRD book in the series, and although I am encouraging you to buy this book, since the people who want to read this review would be a person who wants to know if they should carry on with reading this series.

This book was published in 1995; therefore this book is the same age as my brother. I was born in 1993, so I was 2 years old when this was published. Of course, I have only read it recently and never knew that this series has been going on for that long, although I am aware of other book series that have been going on for longer.

The author of this book is Laurell K. Hamilton. I have only ever read this series from her, and so I cannot possibly tell you if she is a good writer or not since I am unaware of her writing style in other books. But her writing grips me within seconds in this series, and I look forward for every new book I come across, as I know I am going to be gripped with excitement. She has written many books, all of which have appeared on my wish list, and the ones that are no longer there, are now on my bookshelf waiting to be read. However, I reckon it will take me a while to get around to them, but I have them nonetheless. And eventually you will see a review of them on here, if this review site is still going.

Anita Blake is a vampire hunter, however do not confuse her with "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", since they are both very different, and "Buffy" books are aimed at a teenage audience, whereas "Anita Blake" books are very much aimed at young adult +. I definitely wouldn't give these books to anyone two or more years younger than me, although who am I to judge what people should or should not be reading?

This book is the third book in the series, and we follow Anita Blake's troublesome and hectic life. Anita is an expert on creatures of the night, she has dined with shape shifters, danced with werewolves, and been wooed - but not won - by Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire of the City. But now there is a bigger, scarier, and older vampire in town, who goes by the name of Alejandro.

Jean-Claude has already attempted to make Anita into his human servant, only a few more bites to go and she will be his. But Jean-Claude is not the only vampire who wants Anita for himself. Alejandro has now marked Anita, and n a true test of power, who will Anita obey? And who will become the Master Vampire of the City? This has trouble written all over it, and Anita is the cause of it all.

This book is definitely a pure escapism type of book, it is perfect for those vampire fans, and this book has everything you want in a vampire book and MORE! It is gripping and exciting all at the same time and I love reading Anita Blake books as I really do know that they are amazing and definitely a series I want to keep reading for the rest of my life, although, I have heard that the books change and become a little obsessive and not as good, if this is true, then I don't know how I shall react, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we?

There are a few books that I am aware of that are similar to this series. The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris is definitely a series that is very much similar in lots of different ways. If you are a fan of Charlene Harris' vampire novels (like I am) I totally recommend this series to you. Is it similar to Twilight? Well yes, and no. The fact that it contains supernatural beings could suggest that the books are similar, however if you think of the readers for both books, this one contains a few sex scenes, sometimes they are horrific, which Twilight does not have. However I would say if you are looking for something similar to Twilight, that is a little more for Adults, then I totally recommend this to you.

As I think you can tell by now, I am obsessed with this series and I do want to read more and more. But this book did capture me just the same as the two previous books did, and I was really interested in the way the storyline may go on. I think the ending was brilliant, and I was aware of my reading pace quickening up, which proved to me that I was really getting into the book, right at the end. I wouldn't say that I felt emotional while reading this, as this is not what it intends to do, but I was reading quicker which showed my anxiety for Anita Blake. Also the fact that it is written in first person gives you a connection towards Anita Blake.

Personally I believe this book series would definitely work as a TV Series, however I believe that they wouldn't have to change much, apart from adapting the novels into a near-enough script which is pretty similar. However I have heard they did think about doing this, but it has been scrapped, which is such a shame as I know this would be brilliant if you could tune in once a week.

So who should read this book? Well people who are into Vampires and Shape shifters and Ghouls and Lycanthropes and Zombies and various other supernatural beings. This is the perfect book for you! I personally think that people who are fifteen years old or younger should stay away from this series, but who am I to judge, as parents can decide themselves. But the books do contain sex scenes and references that are horrific at times.

I did give this book 4.5 out of 5, because it is a brilliant novel, and kept with the consistency of the two other books, however it was slow at the beginning, but what does that matter. It is a brilliant third novel in a fantastic series, so far and definitely one I recommend to people as I personally find it amazing!

14.03.2011 17:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

a story about an exciting Library cat!

This review is for "Dewey: The Small-town Library Cat Who Touched The World" I submitted a product proposal, however I was told that I should just type my review here! So make sure you are aware of which book I'm talking about.

I got this book through the door ages and ages ago, and I saw Dewey on the front and I thought this is definitely the book for me. I have had a lot of pets in my childhood, but I don't think anyone of them have lived up to the cats we had, I reckon I am a cat lover in my heart, although I rarely get to show it.

Getting off track a bit. When I was really young we had two cats, one called Ben, the other called Sam, however Sam fell ill (I don't even remember him) and so my parents replaced him with a new cat called Toby. Now I vaguely remember Toby, but he broke his paw and so he disappeared too. Ben and I were best of friends, and even though I am now 18 I can remember him as if he was sitting right next to me. Not long after I became four years old, Ben was passed on to a new family, since his life here had become unliveable as Cameron (my younger brother) started pulling his tail. So Ben would stay outside hiding under the slide, until Cameron had gone to bed, and that was when Ben came back in. I was also diagnosed with Asthma, and so that was another further reason why my parents decided to send Ben away. And I still miss him today. We have had many pets since then, we've had various goldfish and shubunkins and comets, our longest living Goldfish of 9 years recently died because of something called "white spot", and so after many different attempts we now have clean clear water and four new goldfish surviving, at long last. Also we had a hamster called "Lady" (Cameron named her after a Thomas the Tank Engine character) she died after a year and my brother blames my parents. And we now have a Border collie dog called "Harvey" he'll be 8 years old this November (which works out to be 56 doggy years old). I expect when I get a house of my own, I'll end up having my own cute cat, although there are various different pets which I am interested in having, but all in good time, right?

This book captured me right from the start. I don't know why I haven't really been interested in books to do with pets, so I was intrigued to find out how I would get on with this book. As it were, Vicki Myron's writing style is so unique that it gripped me in a calm exciting manner, which a book has never done to me before. I was extremely interested in Dewey, and I was so interested in meeting him, but I can't since he is no longer around. But he's already captured my heart, and I hope he catches yours too, when you read this book. Vicki Myron has written many different books, all of which tells the life of Dewey and his library cat adventures. I personally do not fancy reading another one of Dewey's books as I feel it will be pretty similar to this book, and there are far more books I have to read out there!

As I have already said, we follow the adventures of Dewey (real name being "Dewey Readmore Books"). At the age of eight weeks, in January 1988, on a freezing winter evening, Dewey was left in an outside book drop at the Spencer Public Library. The library staff discovered the kitten the next morning. The kitten was badly frostbitten and so filthy that everyone thought he was grey instead of his natural copper and white. Although the entire staff cared for him, library director Vicki Myron took primary responsibility. How he survived the night, Vicki will never know, but this truly is a remarkable tale of a cat that was loved by the whole nation, and definitely you need to read.

This book is about a Cat, I really do suggest that if you dislike cats, this isn't for you. But who knows.... I would definitely say that is probably links well with the other cat stories that are floating around, since it is just as good. On Wikipedia, they have linked this book with "Marley and me" I think it is to do with the fact that both are to do with pets and they are both totally true stories, although which ones better? I could not say. Personally I think it is to do with whether you like cats or dogs; if you like both, then you'll like both stories.

Dewey Readmore Books is a clever name for a library cat, since it basically says: "Do We Read More Books?" And although that wasn't an intention it happened anyway. And I really do like that name.

I totally fell in love with this story as soon as I started reading it, and I'm sure you will too. It was extremely interesting, and I wanted to know what a library cat did all day, I loved the whole idea of playing hide and seek with Dewey, it sounded very intriguing. I also couldn't stop laughing at the catnip incident, and Vicki Myron describes that bit amazingly well and you cannot help but laugh. The ending was nice, that's all I can say about it, it kind of left it exactly where I wanted it to and it wasn't too heart-braking, and just nice. It is definitely a pure fun read but you do learn a lot and how cats are like which is really interesting, I learnt a lot more. I felt very emotional through-out this book, it made me laugh it made me feel upset but it was a great story line, and I really felt sorry for Dewey in the first few pages when finding out he was shoved in the library's book drop. I don't think it's one that I would re-read (although I'll never get the chance to read it again). Purely because it is one of those one-time story's that you much, much, much prefer just to hear it once, that hearing it over and over again.

This would definitely appeal to people who have been fans of Dewey, but also cat lovers, and maybe people who just like a brilliant cat story, I definitely recommend this book to you lot.

For people who enjoy reading books before films come out, you better hurry up. This book is being made into a film fairly soon, and it is rumoured "Meryl Streep" will play Vicki Myron, although personally I would much prefer Vicki herself to act as herself, but then again you can't have everything you want.

This is a much loved book that I'm sure everyone out there would hate to miss the chance to read, so go ahead and buy it as it is definitely a book you desperately need, it is really gripping and an exciting tale that you'll love again and again.

22.02.2011 11:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

the second novel in a great SERIES!

This book is the SECOND book in a series called "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" I have read the first book and my review can be found easily. The sequel to the original novel is a very good follow up and I love Rick Riordan's writing style, it is so unique and extremely interesting, that I have no other option than to love it.

Anyway... Rick Riordan is an author who I have only recently come across thanks to this book series, and I may never have known about it unless a film of the first novel came out. The film was pretty rubbish compared to the first novel, but most films don't relate that well to the book and therefore tends to get negative reviews. Anyway Rick Riordan has written quite a few books, however this series is his most successful novels so far. I have yet to read any of his other stories outside of Percy Jackson. However they all are on my wish list, so I may get around to reading his other novels sometime. I believe that his other books will probably be in the same sort of writing style and I am eager to read them, because if they are as good as the Percy Jackson novels then I can't wait.

In the first book Percy Jackson had to retrieve a bolt of lightning to stop a war that would have happened between the Greek gods. So now Percy is back in school thinking he can relax again. But there is one major problem, a friend of his: Tyson. He is a six-foot-three, mentally challenged homeless kid who follows Percy everywhere, making it hard for Percy to have any "normal" friends.

But things don't stay quiet for long. Camp Half Blood is having some sort of trouble. The magical borders protected by a tree, has been poisoned, and therefore allowing mythological monsters to enter the demigods safe haven. So again everything is turned onto Percy to save the day. He needs to find Grover, a friend who appeared in the first book, who has been taken prisoner on an island within the Sea of Monsters, which is now commonly known as...... The Bermuda Triangle.

Percy must retrieve the Golden Fleece from the Island of the Cyclopes by the end of the summer or Camp Half Blood will be destroyed. But there is a secret to be told, one that makes Percy question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honour or simply a cruel joke.

I fell in love with this story within seconds, this is definitely a book for people like me, however these books are frequently found in the children's section, however, do not let that put you off from reading it, there is many fantastic books that are frequently found in the children's section, such as "Twilight", "The Hunger Games" and "The House of Night Novels". There are a lot of great books in this section so don't let that put you off.

This is definitely a pure fun read, as it is a fantasy world that it is written about, however I think, as with most books, there is a hidden message behind it, which says that out in the world there will always be true friends, no matter who they are or what they are like, they care about you, and will be a true friend to you. This story shows this message clearly, Percy is not afraid to be seen with some of his friends, even if they are totally different to him and look very different, he doesn't care so why should we?

This book is definitely a fantasy novel, surely it's everyone's dream to be this awesome fighter who has to attack and defeat mythological creatures, to be able to draw a sword on a creature would be amazing. Unfortunately this is a fictional novel. If someone told me it was real, I'll be on the first plane to this place, as this book is really that good.

This book is can be easily compared to a number of different novels and series. To start off with, I believe that the action and adventure, along with its humour, is similar to "How to Train Your Dragon Novels" as they are both extremely entertaining. Furthermore I think the friendship is similarly found in "The Golem Novels" or "Odd and the Frost Giants" as both contain interesting friendship ideas and it really captures you as you read more and more.

The book was really interesting and captures you within seconds, but you kind of expect it, as you have previously read the first novel so there would be no need in introducing the characters in the book. The ending was pretty good, but it was a predictable ending and so it wasn't as dramatic as it could have been. It is a pure enjoyable read and definitely doesn't make you think you just read it and just wish that you're there. I really wish I was. It is a series of books I'll always remember, and if given the chance I would definitely re-read it!

This book would appeal to a lot of different people, however I believe that it is really for everyone, as it is definitely a book I think most people will enjoy and be extremely interested in reading, However I think children would definitely prefer over adults and it is one of those novels which I can imagine parents reading to their children just before they go to bed. It may even surprise adults, as by the time the child has fallen asleep, you may end up reading the rest of the book, since it also gripped you and not just your child.

This is definitely a great series of novels, one in which I very much recommend to lots of different people. Please be aware of the fact that this is the SECOND novel in a series so please don't read this book without reading the first novel. Thank you all for reading and rating. I hope I have interested a few people into reading this book.

10.02.2011 10:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great story written by Jaes Patterson and Maxine Paetro

This is a book I've been eager to read ever since it appeared on my doorstep. I read it in a matter of days, it really was amazing. This is definitely a book for someone who is planning on getting back into reading, and I shall tell you why later. This book was not actually on my wish list, however I have recently became a fan of James Patterson, and if anyone has read his books, they will know that his writing style is so gripping, that no matter if the story is dire and really boring, he'll still grip you until the very end.

James Patterson is an amazing author; I have read a total of two books by him ("The Angel Experiment" and this book). And I have a lot more books by him, waiting patiently for me to read them. I know he is an amazing author, and he has written a lot of books that I hope to read. For this book James Patterson teamed up with another author called Maxine Paetro, this is a new author to me, as I have never come across any of her books. She has written a few books here and there but none of them were big hits. Recently she is known for helping James Patterson on many of his books, such as "The Women's Murder Club" and the new series: "Jack Morgan".

Now I have a complete idea of how books that contain two or more authors work. However knowing me, I'm probably wrong and would much prefer if nobody told me how they are written as I'd love to keep this idea and believe it is truly how they write books like this. I believe that to start off with they decide to write a book, however they don't have time to meet up and write together, so instead they do a chapter each. For example: James Patterson might write chapter one. Once he is finished, he sends it to Maxine Paetro for her to do chapter two. And then Maxine Paetro, once finished with chapter two, sends it to James Patterson and he writes chapter three. It seems like a very slow way to do it, but I believe this could possibly have been written this way as there is many cliff-hangers at the end of chapters, and if they really did do it this way then they must have had a lot of fun writing it. However I do think that I could be wrong with this theory, and as interested as I am in wanting to know how it is written, I would very much like to keep my own theory and believe it. So please, no one tell me how it's actually written.

So Swimsuit... It is an amazing story; however I very much doubt I can write a great story outline to interest you, so I have decided to type up what Fantasticfiction.com says about the book because I don't think I can write it any better.

Syd, a breathtakingly beautiful supermodel on a photo shoot in Hawaii, disappears. Fearing the worst, her parents travel to Hawaii to investigate for themselves, never expecting the horror that awaits them.

LA Times reporter Ben Hawkins is conducting his own research into the case, hoping to help the victim and get an idea for his next bestseller. With no leads and no closer to uncovering the kidnapper's identity than when he stepped off the plane, Ben gets a shocking visit that pushes him into an impossible-to-resist deal with the devil.

A heart-pounding story of fear and desire, SWIMSUIT transports readers to a chilling new territory where the collision of beauty and murder transforms paradise into a hell of unspeakable horrors.

This is a pure fun read, however it does make you realise that there is some bad people out there, who would normally do anything for money. It kind of sets you back a bit, it is a major thing in this story money is one everyone's mind, but most people don't think they have enough and want more. Personally, I think we are led to believe we don't have enough and so we force ourselves to work harder and harder to get more and more. I fully enjoyed this novel and I am pretty sure you will too.

This book definitely comes under the thriller genre, it is one that could scare you and give you goose bumps, but it's not that scary that you'll have nightmares. Furthermore it has a few sexual scenes, which is to do with the thriller side of the novel, and it gives this whole book a twist, it shows a side that most people are willing to ignore, and maybe this is the main reason why this book is so good.

Again I can't link this book with any other books I have ever read, it stands alone and jumps out at you, I have read many books, and I'm sure you are all aware of that due to the amount of book reviews I have written, but I am still only young (well I turned 18 on 29th January) and I still feel that I'm still exploring the amount of books in the world, and I very much doubt that I will come across books that are similar any time soon.

The book gripped me in seconds, but it was probably James Patterson's writing that truly did it, if someone else had written it, I think I would have been extremely wary of this book, and I would have probably put it down and not read it, purely because it doesn't seem to be my sort of story. But great authors manage to make you enjoy a story you never thought you would. I could name a few authors who have done that to me, but once I start I'll never stop and I'm sure you are not that interested anyway. The story was really interesting and I just wanted to know more and more, however I still felt the ending wasn't as good as it could have been, I don't really know why, I could just have seen it being a lot better than it was. I totally enjoyed this book however the subject made me realise that not everybody in this world was nice and kind. The person you cross on the way to school or work, or anywhere else you walk to, could easily be a killer. And I think that what engaged me the most about this book. Emotions did get into me, I feared for Syd and Ben and I really wanted to know more and more, I just couldn't get enough of this book. I was kind of expecting myself to take a week maybe tow, to read the whole of this book, but I shocked myself when I got to the last page, and I had only started reading it three das beforehand. I am not a fast reader, I'm pretty average, in my opinion, and so to finish a book so quickly is an achievement in my eyes. This is definitely a book I would re-read if given the chance, it is a book that I will remember as it really made me see the world in a new light, and it is one of the first books that have done that. But knowing my luck I'll probably come across other books that also do that fairly soon.

This book is definitely for someone who has recently stopped reading and who is definitely eager to get back into reading. This book has simple chapters and they are pretty short, it doesn't mean that the book is easy to read, it just means that it will grip you enough so that you want to read more and more. I would also say this is a must for any James Patterson fans, I presume you have already read it, but if you haven't you must buy a copy right this minute, as I know that you will very much enjoy this novel. If you have not even heard of James Patterson (and I must say I'll be surprised if you haven't) then I definitely suggest this book, because it will really grip you, and you'll never ever want to stop reading, and you'll thank me lots for helping you find a new exciting author.

I have to admit, there was a few things I disliked about the book. The main one is the cover, I was seventeen when I read this, and I really don't think my parents would have appreciated it if they found out I was reading a book with that cover. I tend to hide my books on a shelf, that way the covers aren't that exposed, but occasionally I do leave books lying around here and there so that I can pick them up at anytime and read it. To be honest I reckon I would have finished this book quicker, however I kept it on my shelf most of the time, except for when I was reading it.

There is nothing else I can say to interest you into this book; I hope I have done enough because I know for a fact that this is definitely a book that you will enjoy. Thank you for reading and I hope you do read this book!

02.02.2011 19:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

A book about witches, and their past!

This is DEFINITELY a book for you. No matter whom you are. What books you prefer, it does not matter, this book has everything and anything you want. I can think of a few reasons why people may not want to read this book, but by the time you have started it, it is glued to you and you just HAVE to read this! It contains every genre possible, if a Waterstones employee asked me to place this book on a shelf under the correct genre, I wouldn't just have difficulty. I'd end up taking hours and hours, trying to work out where this truly belongs! This is definitely the books for you and you will find out why soon enough.

Before I start, I need to admit, not only to you, but also to myself, that I have been dreading writing this review. I adored this book, and I know many, many other people will, and have. However I believe it is difficult to write a review on this book. I have been struggling, the last few days, to try and work out how I was going to write this review. But I shall try my very best to sell this book to you, as I know for certain you would definitely enjoy it!

Anne Rice is an author who is quickly and quickly becoming one of my top 10 authors of all time. If you would have asked me about a year ago if I had heard of her, I would have said: "no". If you would have told me a year ago if I have read "Interview with the vampire" I would have said: "I've watched the film, is there really a book to it?" This is the author who wrote "Interview with the vampire" back in 1976 (17 years before I was born). I first came across it a few months ago, I also wrote a review for it. Recently I have added almost all of Anne Rice's novels to my wish list, and I am slowly getting more and more. I have read a total of four books from her, and I have realised that she will be an author I would always read for the rest of my life, she has a very unique writing style and manages to interest you into reading a genre book you hate, and believe me I have come across two novels by her which is just like that. I have many more books to read from her and I really hope she releases more in the future, as she is definitely an author I will keep my eye on.

This book was my second book I have read from Anne Rice ("Interview with the Vampire" being the first). "The Witching Hour" is the first novel in "The Mayfair Witches Trilogy". I have to admit, I have yet to read the second and third novels, purely because I haven't got them yet, but I'm waiting patiently for them as my friend currently has them.

We follow Rowan Mayfair on a special adventure to find out her real family. She has an extraordinary power which is to be able to heal people. However her power could be used for both good and evil, but trying to figure out whom exactly is evil and who is good is not always the easiest thing in the world. She rescues a guy (who we also follow, so that we have two stories going at once) called Michael Curry, whose brush with death leaves him with strange sensory powers. The two form a passionate alliance, as they set out together to find out about Rowan's heritage, the key to his gift, and the long exciting past of the Mayfair Witches.

Before I go on and tell you all about my thoughts I want to point out to everyone that I get extremely annoyed when I hear people moaning at how many pages a book has got. I hear people say they have never ever read a book that has over 200 pages. This is utter nonsense; a book wouldn't be published in the first place if it wasn't worthy enough for the publishers to spend money publishing it. I have also come across books that have around 60 pages, but the text is so small that you end up reading the book for 5 to 6 weeks. I have also come across books which are totally the opposite and have around 300 pages and pretty big text that you end up reading in a matter of hours. Page count doesn't matter, and I constantly see people flipping to the back of the book to check out how many pages it has got. This book, believe it or not has 1216 pages, it is currently holds my record for the most pages in a book I have read. Also the text is normal size, it took me about two months to read, but God it was worth it, the story was extremely interesting and I just couldn't stop reading it, and I didn't care how many pages it had, I just knew it was a book I'd read over and over again, no matter how long it took.

This book is pure escapism, I don't think there is a morale or a hidden objective behind this amazingly crafted story, it is one book that I will forever keep in my mind, I don't ever need to read a book again to escape from my reality, all I need to do is think about this story line and I am there, it is set out really good and I couldn't get enough of this book and I don't think I ever will.

As I have mentioned before this book fits into next t every genre I can think of, however I know one place it will never ever appear in, and that would be in "Graphic Novels", there is no pictures in this book whatsoever, it is just a constant word after word after word sort of book. There is lots and lots of genres this could fit into, there is horror, because it is based around the supernatural species of Witches; it could fit into romance, as there is definitely a simple connection that we see right from the start, between Michael Curry and Rowan Mayfair; it could fit into adventure, because they attempt to discover the Mayfair history and we end up following their amazing adventure; there is also thriller, which sort of links in with the horror genre; there is chic-lit (one genre that needs it's name changed and it's stereotypical opinions about it changed) as we get to hear what Rowan thinks about Michael; it could also fit in with the crime/detective genre, because they find out something that has happened in the past and try to work out what happened... The list is endless, I don't want to carry on as it is possible I could bore you to death, but this is definitely a book you should at least consider reading.

This book is definitely not identifiable as a genre, so I very much doubt I will ever come across a book quite like this one (well apart from other Anne Rice novels). This book is not at all similar to any books I have ever read (I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but no books are alike, although there are some that have links.) I am only 18 (I was born in 1993, and my birthday has just recently gone) and although I have read many, many books in my life I'm sure there is a lot more for me to read. If I could read all the books in the English language that have ever been published before I die I'd be very happy, but I very much doubt that anyone could read so many, surely there is now more books than humans on this planet. Anyway, back to what I was saying, I think this book will always be in my mind, and I may end up reading it again and again because of how good I thought it was. I very much doubt that I will find any book that is similar to this one.

As you are probably fully aware of, I fell in love with this story straight away. I found it interesting and exhilarating, although there is boring bits (all books have them) I still loved this book and I was pretty much unable to put it down. I got into it straight away and I'm pretty sure you would too. The ending was annoyingly amazing and I cannot wait for the sequel (although I'm in for a long wait I reckon). I believe it is a pure fun read, however it makes you think that your own past could possibly be as large as the Mayfair Family's past. Emotions ran through-out and was beautifully written, that you end up feeling that emotion, and although it never made me cry or feel upset, I did feel affectionate towards the characters as the story progressed. It made me reflect on how little is known about my own family's past, although I am not that interested it is always something I think about now and again, sometimes I think it would be great to know all about what's happened in your family's past, but sometimes to get that information is really annoying an is it really worth the hassle? Personally I don't think it is. This book is definitely one to re-read again and again, and knowing me, if I didn't have so many books to read and review I would definitely read this again. But let's face it there are too many books in the world to afford to re-read a book.

Seriously, this book will appeal to everyone and anyone, you may have even come across it in a book store, and decided not to buy it because of the size and amount of pages, this is a real problem that people have, it doesn't matter how many pages a book has got, it's exactly the same as judging a book by it's cover, you really should judge it, but it's instinct and it is very, very difficult to not judge books. If you are looking for a perfect book to read or the perfect present for someone, I definitely believe this could be for you. I do have conditions though, I suggest that you don't read this if you've been put off from reading, and you're looking for a book to get you back into reading, keep away from this book. I reckon this book will haunt you and make you believe that you will never ever finish it, therefore making you stop reading for another few years. I highly suggest, if you want to get back into reading, looking for a short easy-to-get into sort of book, and then consider this book, otherwise, I reckon you'll stop reading for another few years, and surely you do not want that!

There is quite a lot of bad things that people (including me) may dislike about this book, for starters the amount of pages, I know I have touched up on this here and there, but it is a big important thing that people tend to judge a book for, and although the book was amazing I still felt it was too long! Furthermore, about halfway through the book, the characters come across "The Mayfair File" which is a collection of history from the very first Mayfair up until the latest one, which happens to be Rowan, (I'm doing my very best not to give too much away), however this file takes up mot of the book, and this kind of links in with the boring parts, as there is pieces and pieces of information that have had to be written or typed or made in a certain way that it can be included within the file. In doing so it makes the book easily put-down able, which is a big hazard, and I found that at times I would much prefer to do something else (such as homework) than read this book. But the files tend to get more and more interesting, so much more that before you realise, you are back with the normal characters (Rowan and Michael), and that you tend to be upset that you almost didn't finish the book because of the files. I personally felt this and I am very glad that I persevered with the files and got back into the book. There is occasionally confusing parts that appear throughout the book, such as the start when Michael develops these magical powers. We don't know what they do and we don't know how they work, and we don't understand why it has happened, pretty much we are linked with Michael and know everything he knows about these magical powers, so we are kept in the dark, which interests us more and more, making us want to know why and how this is happening. We quickly identify with Michael and become a part of him. Much later on we have a similar connection to Rowan. This definitely shows how much Anne Rice is good at what she does, and really manages to capture us within minutes. If we cannot identify with the characters (like we can't in the files) then we believe that the book isn't right for us. However Anne Rice's writing style is amazing and that would probably be why everyone would enjoy this book just as much as I did.

Given the chance I would definitely rate this book as a 3.5 stars out of five; however I am unable to do this and so have decided to give it 4 stars. It should be worthy of 5 out of 5, however those files really annoyed me, and bearing in mind how other people would think about this book, and the amount of pages, I feel that it doesn't deserve 5 stars. So I have dropped 1 star off for all the right reasons.

Thank you very much for reading, and I would be happy if I have interested a lot of people into reading this. If I haven't I hope it's all for the right reasons. Thanks again for reading!

29.12.2010 11:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

the third book in the twilight series!

As you may have known already, I have quickly become a big fan of Stephenie Meyer. I have decided to prevent myself from getting too caught up in the Twilight novels, and so therefore I have a break between the books, and the only time I get around to reading them is if the film is on its way out. For instance, this book has been on my shelf for a few months, maybe even a year, and I never got around to reading it until the film was released at the cinemas, by the time I had finished it, I had arranged with friends to go and see it at the cinema, and I'm going to do that with the last and final book: Breaking Dawn.

Stephenie Meyer is now a highly paid author, she appeared as one of my top ten authors of all time last year, and I believe she will stay in my top ten in 2011. She has released a few books, such as this Twilight series, The Host (a book I adored so feel free to check out my review on it), "The short second life of Bree Tanner" a book that accompanies the Twilight series, and she has also released a story in a book called "Prom Nights from Hell". The books/stories I have read from her have all been amazing and extremely interesting, she has a certain writing style that grips you immensely right from the first word, and she will always be an author who I would most certainly have their next book in my possession within the first few weeks of release, even if it takes me a year to get around to reading the book as long as I have it, I don't mind.

Before I go on any more, I'd like to state that this book is the third book in the series, and not a stand-alone book. The first book is called "Twilight", The Second is "New Moon" and this is the third one. I wanted to clarify this as some people comment saying "I might get this", when the book is the fourth or fifth book in a series, and for some reason it aggravates me. Anyhow... on with the review.

This book, yet again, follows Bella's life. In the first book, we had her falling for Edward Cullen, a vampire. In the Second book we had her falling for Jacob, a werewolf. Now we have the battle of the two, who does she really love? And who is the right person for her?

Apart from the little love story in the background of this book, we have more of a problem. Victoria is back with minions from nearby cities. Victoria and her friends first appeared in the first book, so now she wants her revenge, we have been aware of this happening as Laurent, a friend of hers, appeared in "New Moon". So will Victoria get her revenge? And in the end will Bella be safe? And who is she meant to be with?

People may consider that this book is centred around love and all that stuff, but there is a lot of action and adventure involved within this book, and I think that is what mostly grips me. Stephenie Meyer has managed to include lots of different types of storied, from horror novels to romance novels, all into one single story, and I believe that is what makes this book all the more interesting, And extremely worthy of being made into a film.

This book is identifiably a romance novel, however the fact that there is supernatural beings such as Vampires and Werewolves, makes this book a little on the horror side. Apart from that there is various other novel types identified within this book, however since his book is part of a series, it would have to go with the other books in the series, even if it is identifiable and totally different from the other books in the series.

Comparing books like this is extremely difficult. Personally I think books are a lot like people. As each book is different in their own right, and it's next to impossible to pick up the same book, which is the same as people, you can't possibly walk pass someone and then the next minute find someone looking exactly the same, with the exact same personality, it would be extremely difficult. Anyhow, in society we groups. If books happened, to one day, become people, then certain books will be friends when others will be enemies. This book would possibly be friends with "The Hunger Games Trilogy" by Suzanne Collins. Both series have amazing writing styles that I cannot get enough of. And if you wanted me to recommend a book that is just as good as the twilight series, then it's the hunger games you should go for.

I was captured in the book within the first few seconds, and I didn't want to finish it, as the writing style was amazing. I found the storyline was incredibly interesting, I just wanted to know more and more. The ending was superb and a really interesting ending. The book is in first person, which really gets the emotion that Bella is feeling, and makes me feel it too, which is always a good thing to happen in a book. Would I re-read this? Yes I would, although not anytime soon, purely because I have too many books to worry about re-reading others.

The film has recently been released on DVD here in the UK, and I have watched it. I personally loved the film as it is more or less an exact representation of the book, the way books that are made into films should be. And the film was just as good as the book.

Overall, the book is amazing and I definitely recommend the "Twilight series" to everyone and anyone who's thinking about buying it! Thank you for reading!

21.12.2010 14:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Ayla is from the other clan, but now she has to learn to fit in with a new clan!

When I received this book through the post my first instinct was that it wasn't a book I'd enjoy and knowing me, I'd probably put it down never to touch it or read it ever again. Well that's what judging the front cover does! Considering my rating you have probably realised that my first instinct wasn't my best instinct I've ever had. I fully enjoyed this book, and I SHALL be reading the next few books in the series, I shall also be watching the film, and since no one has reviewed it yet, I might just decide to review it.

Jean M. Auel is an author I have never ever heard of, and even though she wrote this book way back in 1980 (13 years before I was born). She is a completely new author to me. So after reading this book I went on the internet to find some information about her. I found out that she was born in 1936 making her currently 74 years old and she was born in Chicago. She has only ever written books for the "Earth's Children" saga, which "Clan of the Cave Bear" is the first novel in the series. I also found out that there is currently five books in the series, and a sixth book is on it's way and will be released in 2011, the thing is, this book shall be the FINAL book in the series, and so therefore I doubt Jean M. Auel will be writing anymore books.

Before I start to tell you about the story line of this amazing book, I want to share with you the funny little thing that happened to me. After I had finished this book, my mom asks me what I have been reading. So I tell her the name of the book and what it is about. She soon stops me and tells me that she thought it looked familiar. So she then goes searching for the book she believes this one looks like. She finds it, and guess what? It is the exact same book, and she tells me she has been a fan of Jean M. Auel since she was 17 (which she was in 1980, when this book was released). So I ended up buying this book and receiving it through the post, to only find out after I've read the book that I already had the book in this house somewhere.

Right, after that small but humorous tale, here is what the story is about. Ayla is only five years old when an Earthquake separates her from her mother. She ends up looking for her for a few days, and at one point she manages to escape from a cave lion.

She is later found by a group of Neanderthal Cave Men and Women; they are searching for a new cave as their last one was destroyed by the Earthquake. After much debating Ayla is allowed to stay with the group, as long as she pulls her weight and sticks to the rules of the group.

We follow her life as a lot of people end up trying to hurt her and destroy her, you get a lot of emotion towards her, and you feel so sorry for her. Ayla is clearly of the "Others" who are the other clan group who lives on earth, and they clearly don't like each other. Can Ayla learn to live by this group's rules, or will she endlessly rebelling until she is thrown out or worse?

I believe this is just a fun loveable read; however, the author must have spent ages finding all the necessary background information about what it was like in those days. If she hadn't got all the information and made it up as she went along, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. It pretty much seemed as if this really happened back in those Cave Men days, and it is pretty easy to imagine that actually happening. To be totally honest, this book at least helps you to learn more about the ways of Cave people and how they lived, I have to admit, I quite enjoyed reading this, as it helped me to truly understand what it was like there, and I could imagine being Ayla for the day (or an hour), before having to come back into my own world. To be honest, this taught me more than some of my history teachers did about Cave men's life. This is what I always say, scrap text books, and create all the information into a fictionalised book. I know personally that all the information that would be contained within that book, I would know off by heart, and when I go into an exam, I would definitely know the answer to every question. However I very much doubt text books will become fictionalised novels.

This book can easily be described as a historical novel, I don't see how this book could become anything else, I totally enjoyed this novel, and it is probably the first historical novel I have ever come across, and so therefore maybe I have found another genre I fully enjoy, or maybe it was just Jean M. Auel's brilliant writing, I'll probably find out soon enough the more books I read.

This book is definitely a book that stands out from the rest (I seem to be saying that about every book at the moment.) This book is like no other book I have ever come across, as I keep mentioning. And I fully enjoyed this. I don't think this book is similar to any book I know of, however I am very certain there is possibly some books somewhere that are also historical novels, and are just as good as this one, however I have never come across any as of yet however, I am only 17 years old and will probably find one similar as I get older. If you personally think this book is similar to any books, I'm open to suggestions, and I'll read them and find out if you are right.

Personally I fell in love with this story right from the start the writing style of Jean M. Auel is just amazing and it manages to grip you within seconds, and you seriously don't want to stop reading. It is a really interesting book and it seems very vivid at times, and you feel the emotion run straight through you, and that is when you realise that this book is one of the best books you have ever come across in your entire life.

This book was definitely an interesting read, purely because you were never quite sure what was going to happen next, and I was always surprised at each turning of events. From the very start I was gripped and I was totally in love with this book, and I think the writing style is what made this book a joy to read. Also the ending shocked me, and I totally loved it. I didn't know what was going to happen, and when it did I was extremely shocked and I felt really sorry for Ayla. It was an amazing ending, and I don't think I will come across such an interesting, shocking ending! It is a pure fun read but it also is a book to make you think about what it was like back then. The emotions of Ayla and the other people within the group was really shown really well within the story, and when they laughed, you laughed, when they were sad, you were sad, and when they were upset you also was upset, this really shows how much of a great author Jean M. Auel is as only a few authors in the world have ever made me feel as emotionally as this book did. It is definitely a book I will keep in my heart for a long time, and I don't think I will ever forget such an amazing story line. Given the chance I would definitely re-read this book, but as I keep mentioning I have too many books in my house that all need reading by me, that I doubt I will ever be able to re-read a book, no until I have caught up with the amount of books I get.

So who will the book appeal to? That is one of the worst questions people ask me, as everyone is different, and every book is different. I thought that historical novels were not my sort of genre, however this book has changed my mind and made me believe that I will enjoy other historical fiction, however I am not too sure if that is just the book's idea or mind, and I'll probably find out in the near future that historical fiction, after all, is for me. This book isn't just for the historians out there; I think it will appeal to everyone across the nation; however I could be totally wrong. By the looks of things this book gripped a load of people back in 1980 and I believe it is still growing strong, and if you are definitely wondering if this book is for you, I would totally just take a leap at it, and see if it is for you, as I'm sure this book would be loved by lots of people. And still is.

I always state on most of my reviews that children's reading shouldn't ever be censored, however some books are ones that should never even be touched by young people's hands. This book does contain some sexual scenes, which are totally understandable, as I can see it actually happening back in those days. However, some people may find it offensive, and it seems pretty much like rape. Although this appears in the book, it is only in there for a few chapters and it really shows to the readers how Ayla feels about this and you find it really easy to relate to her. Personally, I reckon a teenager will find this book really good and understand what is happening, but anyone younger may not understand. It is really up to you to decide, as everyone is different, I still have friends who are avid readers, just like me, but could never ever read a book that contains mild sexual references. I think it depends on the certain type of person you are and how you deal with things.

This book is amazing and nothing and I truly mean that, nothing lets it down. Everything within the book gripped me to the end; I loved Ayla and her Clan guardian Iza. However you learn to hate the leader's Son, Broud, who will not give Ayla the time of day, and really resents her, the ending really shows this and as Ayla becomes more and more loved by the rest of the Clan, Broud hates her more and more and he believes she is taking his popularity from him. Personally, if the book was set in modern times, I believe Broud would be described as a Male chauvinist pig; he seems exactly like that but worse. Purely because each clan member has a role they play. There are Male and Female roles within the Clan and so therefore chauvinists weren't around in those sorts of times. You love to hate Broud as time goes on, and he really got me annoyed at times. This shows that Jean M. Auel is an amazing author, and I definitely intend on reading her other books!

Now usually on my book reviews I rarely touch upon the book cover, purely because I don't think it's important. However this book's cover is especially important, because it made me not want to read the book. The old saying is "Never judge a book by its cover" this is now constantly used in everyday life to describe not only books, but to also describe people and inanimate objects. However I'm using this saying in a book sense, due to the fact that you cannot tell me there is a person on this planet who doesn't judge a book by its cover. You cannot possibly tell me, you go into Waterstones or another book seller, and pick up every book you see, and read the blurb (the writing on the back of the book). A) It is impossible, surely Waterstones has at least two thousand books in a single shop, and B) There would be no reason to have book covers if everyone did it. So when you walk into a book shop, you pick up the books which covers stand out from the rest, and usually the better book covers, have the better storyline. However this book is quite he opposite, with a brilliant storyline, but not a very good cover. This cover would probably have been a good cover in 1980, but now in the 21st century, it is probably classed as one of the worst covers on a shelf. Covers are what make books unforgettable and distinct; one certain cover could shine, where as all the others could fade into one another.

I recently found out that this book was made into a film in 1986, personally I have not watched it, but I do plan on going out side (when the snow has cleared up) and get the DVD. I have heard that this film was given mixed to negative reviews, however others are surprised that it was, and now consider it to be a brilliant film and definitely rate it positively. This leaves me in two minds. Will the film be similar to the book and manage to change certain bits because it needs to, or will it be totally nothing like the book? I won't know until I have watched it. I also feel sad that they didn't consider making a sequel to the film. Okay, I get that the sequel ("The Valley of Horses") may not be worthy of being adapted into a film (I don't know I haven't read it yet). But maybe it will be picked up soon. Maybe someone might just read the sixth book (when it's released in 2011) and decide to remake the films, if that happens; I'm definitely going to se them all in the cinemas!

Thank you all for reading, and I sure hope I have helped people make up their minds on whether or not they should read this book!

More Comments