Ninski1

Member since: 12.03.2012

User that trust you
      26.02.2014 10:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

Has a variety of uses

I purchased this gel from my local health store for £4.99. It comes in a 200ml plastic tube, with a screw top lid that is easy to remove and you can stand the tube on the lid so all of the product runs down to the bottom for easy dispensing.

I have used Aloe Vera gels in the past for a number of reasons, including use as an after sun product, as an anti- stretch mark gel during pregnancy and for general use such as a moisturiser for my body and hands.

This gel is made using 100% organic Aloe Vera and contains Vitamins A, C and E. The gel has a slight green tinge to it, is quite thick and is free from colours, perfumes and additives. In addition the gel is paraben free and is not tested on animal.

The gel has a slight antiseptic smell, that is not over powering and does not linger once absorbed in to the skin.

The gel is designed to provide soothing and restorative results, whilst moisturising and nourishing the skin. The gel can be used for a variety of reasons for example on dry skin, to help with sun burn, scars, chapped skin, minor burns and minor skin irritations, such as an insect bite, as it has soothing properties.

The ingredients are as follows: Aloe Barbadensis (Organic), Polysorbate 20, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Panthenol, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate.

I use the gel as an after sun lotion, keeping it in the fridge and I apply it after having a shower, finding that it cools my skin and helps to prevent any skin peeling. I also use it on my 3.5 year old in the same way and we both have sensitive skin and have not experienced any irritation. In addition to this I have a tube that I use as a hand gel, as I find that I get very dry skin and this helps to sooth the skin, restore moisture and also not irritate or sting my skin.

The gel is easy to apply, at first it seems a little sticky, but absorbs well into the skin and does not leave any heavy residue, unpleasant smell or tackiness. It dries well if used on the whole body, so you can get dressed quickly after application.

Overall I would recommend this gel to others as it helps with dry skin, is excellent as an aftersun care gel and can be used for all the family. In addition the product is well priced and a little goes a long way so a tube last for ages.

30.09.2013 16:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great shampoo that is very well priced

I picked this 400ml bottle of shampoo up in my local Morrison supermarket as while ago when it was on offer 3 for £3. The shampoo comes in a tall plastic bottle, with a flip top lid that is easy to use, dispenses the product well and does not leak.

The shampoo is designed for coloured or damaged hair and is infused with blueberry and ginseng that are supposed to provide your hair with nourishment, added shine and strength. In addition it is designed to restore the vitality of your hair, using pro vitamin B5. In addition it also helps to cleans and revitalise your hair as it contains antioxidants.

The shampoo is blue in colour, and quite thin in consistency, but it cleanses well and leaves my hair feeling clean and refreshed, I find that although you do not need much the dispensing nozzle is quiet wide so a lot of shampoo will come out if you are not careful. Too much and you end up with loads of lather, though it does rinse out easily. The smell of the shampoo is very strong, I can detect lots of blueberry and I find this to be very pleasant, the scent lingers for ages my hair smell great for hours. My hair is very dry and after use I find it to be manageable and a bit shiner than usual.

The ingredients are as follows:

Aqua (Water, Eau),Sodium Laureth Sulfate ,Sodium Chloride ,Cocamide MEA ,Cocamidopropyl Betaine ,Glycerin ,Parfum (Fragrance) ,Tetrasodium EDTA ,Polyquatermium-7 ,Citric Acid ,Amyl Cinnamal ,Panthenol ,Propylene Glycol ,Polyquaternium-39 ,Vaccinium Angustifolia (Blueberry) Fruit Extract ,Panax Ginseng Root Extract ,Methylchloroisothiazolinone ,Methylisothiazolinone ,Cl 60730 (ext. Violet 2) ,Cl 42090 (Blue 1) ,Benzophenone-4 ,Triethanolamine ,Hexylene Glycol

Overall I would recommend this to others who like fruity smelling shampoo, it cleans well, smells great, adds shine and is very well priced.

15.08.2013 09:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very poor product overall

I was starting to get a tad paranoid about a few hairs on my chin so decided to give this product ago to see if my paranoia subsided.

You can currently pick up the product for £2.33 from Boots, it is for normal skin and is supposed to be easy to use, leaving you hair free and moisturised in 5 minutes. The product comes in a cardboard box and contains two plastic tubes, one is the removal cream (25ml), which is pink and stinks of hair removing cream (why do they all have to smell so bad?), the second is a white cream, 15ml tube which is an after care cream. The box also comes with a million reasons why we should probably not use it, these include:

* Doing a patch test prior to use
      * Not using hot water or soap immediately before using the product;
      * Waiting 24 hours after application to apply creams or other products;
      * Waiting 48 hours between applications;
      * Not using on irritated skin
      * Not to let the cream come into contact with fabrics, furnishing or household items as this may cause staining or damage (ok on the face though!)

I could go on. I did a patch test on the back of my ear and it did not fall off so I whet ahead and used the product.

But anyway to use the cream your skin must be clean, using tepid water and dry. To apply they provide you with a small spatula, a bit like one of those weird chip shop forks you can get, but without the prongs. All you need to do is apply the product to the hairy area, without rubbing it in and wait for 3 minutes (I used a digital clock for this as you are not supposed to guess the time), then you test to see if it has worked, if not leave it for a further two minutes, but never longer that 5 minutes, as this will turn you into a hairy ogre, or was it that your skin will be damaged? Then you rinse the product off using the spatula and tepid water, apply the finishing cream and that's that.

Did it work? Yes but there were consequences. The hair I was removing was very fair and soft, so it worked well at the actual removing part, it did not tingle or burn and as I was using it I felt ok. I used it before I went to bed and then did not use any products other that the finishing cream until the next morning. When I woke up my chin felt a bit numb, and after looking in the mirror I had developed a few tiny white spots on my chin, they took a few days to go, so rather than being hairy I was spotty!

Anyway, overall I wish I had not bothered with this product as the results were not great after all. The list of things that the cream should not be in contact with should really be a warning that it will not be good for your skin and I will not be using any hair removal creams again.

14.08.2013 10:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great tasting cordials

I have, and always will have cordial in my life, I even take it on holiday with me as I hate fizzy drinks and you can never seem to find undiluted cordial, and when I am camping a little cordial is a luxury!

My favourite flavour is the Orange Fruit and Barley. Robinsons do a whole load of other flavours ranging from peach, strawberry and kiwi and summer fruits, they also produce other cordial ranges and are even responsible for Fruit Shoots!

Anyway, the orange fruit and barley contains no artificial colours or flavours and has no added sugar. A 1 litre bottle is supposed to make 20 glasses, if you follow the instructions on the bottle and dilute 1 part cordial to 4 parts water. Everyone has their own opinion on how strong or weak to make their cordial, I prefer mine weaker than that, though not so you can still taste water and definitely not as weak so you can see through it, as my friend does.

The cordial is suitable for vegetarians, but does contain artificial sweeteners, it does however contain a source of phenylalanine. The bottle it comes in is recyclable plastic and has a twist off bottle top that is easy to use and does not leak. Robinsons cordial is also made by appointment to the Queen, so I bet Prince George Alexander Louis (?) will be weaned on the stuff!.

Well, as said I love cordial, the Robinsons orange has a good, well rounded orange taste, that does not taste overly processed and does not tend to go bitty, or grainy as other cordials can, it dilutes well in water and can also be added to lemonade. Overall I would recommend this cordial to others, the prices tend to vary and the bottle I currently have was 99p for a litre from the 99p store, I think it tastes great and is well worth the money.

• ELC Skittles / Outdoor Toy / 36 Readings / 36 Ratings
        13.08.2013 13:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

Poor toy overall

My son was given these Skittles for his 3rd birthday from his Aunt. They are made of quite sturdy plastic and you get 6 skittles; two red; two blue and two green. In addition the set comes with 2 yellow plastic bowling balls, about the size of one of those mini footballs.

The bowling balls have three finger holes that are a little big for my three year old and just big enough for adults sized fingers, so they can be used my everyone. The bowling balls are fairly light weight, though plenty big enough to knock skittles down.

They are designed to be used indoors and outdoors and are easy to set up and cost around £6 from the Early Learning Centre. They are a good idea in that they help with hand and eye coordination and are a way of learning through play without it being to boring for children.

Although they are fun to play with and are made of plastic so they can be easily cleaned if being used outside, they are not very good at standing up unless the surface is very flat outdoors and they will blow over if it gets a bit windy, so as outdoor toys they are not great, and as for using them on grass, I found it practically impossible to get them all to stay up at the same time!. They can be used indoors and the results are much better, though we are lucky enough to have a few large reception rooms to play in so things do not broken in the excitement of bowling.

Overall I would not recommend these to others as they are not really fit for purpose, although they are inexpensive, my son found them to be very frustrating as they would not stand up and it just ruins the overall experience.

• Boots Freezer Pots / Nursing / 32 Readings / 30 Ratings
          12.08.2013 09:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good little pots that are versatile

When I first started weaning my son I wanted something small enough to put fruit puree in, as I had a glut of apples and pears from the garden and I also wanted something that was freezer friendly. I bought these pots in a pack of 8 and I remember them being on a 3 for 2 deal at the time, which was 2.5 years ago now. They can currently (August 2013) be purchased from Boots for £2.99 for a pack of eight. They come in 1oz and 3oz sizes and have green or yellow lids and the plastic the actual pot is made of is opaque white.

They are easy to store as they stack up but the lids always seem seemed to get lost when put Tupperware/plastic container drawer, so in the end I would put the lids on them when they were not in use. They were easy to clean as well.

Like I said I only used these pots for fruit purees and although they were very small they were plenty big enough for my needs. I would sometimes add the fruit to rice pudding or just feed it straight to my son as a pudding. They would not be big enough for a main meal for a weaning baby.

I found, after trial and error that it was best not to over fill them, I would add hot fruit puree to them and then let them cool before putting the lids on and freezing, mostly the lids would stay in place, though I had a few instances where the lid came off in freezing and spoiled the puree. After my son was fully weaned I started to use the pots to put raisins in as a snack when we were out and about and I found them to be very handy. We no longer really use them, though I did find a few left at the back of the drawer a while back and I used them to put herbs and spices in for our camping trip.

Overall I would say that these pots have been very useful, they are not the best as they did sometimes leak, but overall they served their purpose and have lasted a really long time.

• Curry / Recipe / 20 Readings / 20 Ratings
          09.08.2013 15:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Healthy veggie curry

This is a quick and healthy veggie curry that we love in our house, it feeds three people, two adults and a 3 year old.

Ingredients:

1 cauliflower
          1 large red or white onion (red will give the dish a bit more sweetness)
          Tin of chickpeas
          Splash of veg oil
          1 tablespoon of garam masala
          1 tablespoon curry powder
          1 teaspoon turmeric
          chilli ( as much as you like)
          Fresh coriander
          Plain yoghurt
          mint (fresh or sauce)
          2 garlic cloves

How to make it:

First prepare the cauliflower by taking off the green leaves, chopping into bite sized pieces and washing, then boil the cauliflower until it is al dente. Drain it and leave on the side so all the liquid is removed.

Slice up the onion and fry in the oil with the crushed garlic until the onion is soft, add in the spices and drained and rinsed chickpeas and cook until hot.

Add the cauliflower to the chickpeas and stir around until the cauliflower is covered in the spices and let it cook for a few minutes until warmed back up.

Take your plain yoghurt and add mint to it. Chop up some coriander. Serve the food into bowls, sprinkle with coriander and serve with the yoghurt.

09.08.2013 09:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great first scooter

My husband bought this scooter from Amazon when my son was two; we paid around £20 for it 18months ago.

The scooter is designed to be used from the age of 2 until 7 and is a great little starter scooter. It comes in pieces and you have to put it together yourself, with the help of an allen key, it was fairly easy to do, especially for me as I just watched. The scooter is metal and has soft green pliable plastic handles and plastic wheels. At first the scooter has 4 wheels, two at the back and two at the front, as your child gets the hang of scooting around you can remove the wheels, so it can have two at the front and one at the back and finally one wheel at the front and one at the back, like a proper scooter.

The best thing about this scooter is that it folds in half so it is easy to store and take away on holiday in the car.

The foot base is quite wide and has a grip plates that is made from what feels like sand, so your child does not fall off and the handles are height adjustable so the scooter grows with tour child. It is also very sturdy and can with stand a lot of being dropped n the fall and from the inevitable scraps and bumps whilst in use. The only downside is that the wheels become scuffed and well worn very quickly if used on rough ground, but you can get replacement parts, though we have not had to as yet.

Overall I would recommend this scooter to others as it is well priced, looks good, is sturdy and will last a long time.

08.08.2013 09:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Easy to use, smells good and leaves hair shiny

I have very thick, dry hair and am always conscious of making sure it I keep it in good condition, therefore a heat styling spray is a must for me. I am not brand loyal as I am yet to find the 'one' so to speak, so when I saw this on offer in my local Asda a while ago for £2, I picked a bottle up. I was a bit wary, as my last experience of fructis was with their shampoos and conditioners when they first came out years ago and they were not for me.

The spray comes in a 200ml plastic bright green bottle and it has a proper pump action spray action nozzle, that can be switched on and off by twisting the cap underneath the spray nozzle, this will stop it from leaking, and it does as I keep mine in a large case and its always on its side rather than standing up on its base. The bottle states that it will protect your hair up to 230 degrees and that it will keep your hair straight for 3 days; I wash my hair every other day so cannot confirm this.

The nozzle is easy to use and evenly dispenses a decent amount of the product on to my hair, as I said I have thick hair that is shoulder length and I tend to use about 8 sprays each time.
            The product is design to get rid of fly away hair and give you a smooth and sleek style, whilst protecting it from being damaged by heating tools. It has a thermo active texturizing function that uses bamboo to give you this amazing look. In addition to this you should be left with shining hair that is stronger as the product contains vitamins and nourishment for hair.

So does it work? I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I have no idea if any of these products really work. The product smells fruity and goes on well, I blow dry my hair in sections and then use ghd straighteners to give me a smooth look, my hair is shiny, but this could be down to the shampoo and conditioner I use or just the fact that using a good pair of hair straighteners will pretty much tame anyones hair. I am on the fence as to the usefulness of this product, as I think it leaves my hair a little smoother, with added shine, so I will give the product 3 Dooyoo stars, as I am not convinced overall, I will leave it up to you to decide. It would also say that although I am not convinced such products work, I will not be giving them up as I am not brave enough to experiment!

• Vegetarian / Recipe / 34 Readings / 32 Ratings
              07.08.2013 16:18

Advantages

Disadvantages

Quick, easy, low fat and yummy for all the family

Last night I was stuck for inspiration, but also wanted to use up some quorn sausages so here is what I created and hopefully you will enjoy it (if you make it) as well. Oh and it served 2 adults and a 3 year old.

What you will need:

1 tin puy lentils
              1 onion
              2 garlic cloves
              1 teaspooon garam masala
              1 veggie stock cube
              bit of veg oil for frying
              spinach (as much as you like really)
              cherry tomatoes
              6 quorn sausages (though others would be just as good)
              Dried chilli flakes (as hot as you like)
              200ml Water

How to make it:

Put the sausages in the oven to cook. Fry up a chopped onion with, the garlic and a bit of oil, add in the garam masala and dried chilli. Cook until the onion is soft and not burnt. Drain the lentils and add to the pan along with a veggie stock cube and about 200ml tap water.

Leave this to simmer, whilst chopping the cherry toms in half and checking the sausages are cooked. Once the sausages are cooked I chopped them into smaller bite sized pieces and added them to the lentils, along with the cherry toms and spinach (fresh from the garden) once the spinach has wilted serve.

Easy as that, it was filling, and tasted fab.

• Ibuleve Gel / Pain Relief / 29 Readings / 28 Ratings
                07.08.2013 09:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not useful for large areas of pain

I suffer with back pain due to an underlying health issue and have flare ups of pain sporadically. My mum bought me some Ibuleve 5% gel from our local chemist, a 30g tube was £3.49. The gel comes in a thin metal tube, with a plastic lid, which you use to pierce the tube on first use.

The gel is designed to provide fast and effective pain relief directly at the source of pain and can help with pain stemming from back ache, rheumatic pain, arthritis and other aches and pains a body can afflict you with.

The gel is clear and fragrance free, has a cooling effect on the skin and is not greasy.

To use you apply 2-5cm of the gel directly to the area in pain, wash your hands and then hope it works, it cannot be used if you are under 12 years of age and it is always recommended that you read the label and list of ingredients to make sure you are using the gel safely.

The pain I get is sciatic, and this then leaves me with muscle pain from moving around in a crooked way, so the top of my back hurts and the pain runs all the way down to my tail bone. This 30g tube did not last long and I was a bit paranoid about how much to use, as the packet says 2-5cms but that would not cover my whole back, so I used a little more. I found that the pain eased a little and I felt less stiff and uncomfortable, the effect lasted for around 2 hours and then the pain returned to normal. This was disappointing as I was hoping it would last longer. I have also used it on my wrists that cause me pain resulting from hypermobility and it tends to last longer.

Overall I would not recommend this gel. I have returned to my tried and tested form of pain relief that is consists of pain killers take by mouth and lots of Tiger Balm or long hot baths and rest where possible. Also the gel is expensive and does not last very long if you have a large area of the body that needs treating; overall disappointing.

06.08.2013 15:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Easy to use, well priced and fast cooking

I have been camping for years and used to use a pocket rocket cooker, however, when my son arrived we seemed to need a lot more stuff, including a safer and larger stove to cook on. We paid around £60 for the stove 3 years ago, the price varies, we got our from Go Outdoors.
                We settled on this folding option as its pretty small, compact and only weighs 3.6kg. The stove, comes in red and blue, we have the red one and is very easy to use. To use it all you need to do is first buy a Campingaz cylinder CP250 gas cylinder; I find them easy to pick up at Go Outdoors. To use the stove you have to flick the plastic catch on the top which will then reveal two burners that have adjustable knobs so you can control cooking easily. To connect the gas there is a metal pipe that you have to screw into the back of the stove and this is then screwed into the gas cylinder.

Once you have attached the gas you simply squeeze the gas ring tops together and turn them the right way up, clipping them back into place and this gives you a raised gas platform for you to cook on. To light the stove I use either a match or lighter and then adjust the strength of the flame accordingly.
                The stove, once lit is quite powerful; 1375 W per ring and will boil up about a litre of water in 4 minutes. The stove is 36cm high, 16cm wide and has a depth of 34 cms when folded up.

Cooking on the stove is easy, I put it on a table so its easier, but I have also cooked with it on the floor, it burns well and stands up to wind well, I have yet to have it blow out during cooking. It is easy to clean as well, just wipe and as it folds all the bits can be kept together.

I have cooked things such as pasta, boiled eggs, fried up vegetables, I find that I use the stove for bursts of around 30 at a time, it has a 1 hour and 45 minute limit, according to the packaging. I also tend to camp for long stretches, 3-4 weeks, and find that although I do not use it every day one gas cylinder is enough to last.

Overall I would recommend this stove to others, having two burners is great when camping with a family, it is well priced, sturdy, easy to use and clean and is easy to transport.

23.07.2013 10:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Interesting flavours

I enjoy drinking fruit teas and find them very refreshing so after trying a different tea in this range I thought I would give this one ago as the chilli infusion sounded interesting.
                  The teas bags come in a recyclable cardboard box and the tea bags are kept fresh in a plastic bag, inside the box, they are not individually wrapped. The tea bags are bio-degradable and are an off white, grey colour and are square. The box they come in is bright red and has picture of a person siting down and enjoying the tea, the packaging is very nice with patterns of reds floating up to the top of the box.

The tea is not genetically modified, contains no preservatives, they are wheat free, suitable for vegetarians and are organic, being approved by the Soil Association.

The box contains 20 tea bags in total and you can usually purchase them in supermarkets for around £2-2.50. To brew the tea it is suggested that you use one tea bag per person, dropped in hot water for 1-3 minutes. I like my tea to be well brewed and flavoursome so I let it brew for 3-4, or until the hot water is cool enough for me to drink it. I find that if you add cold water to the tea the taste is slightly different. I drink this tea usually in the afternoons to refresh me and also wake me up a little. I have also found that if you let it go cold, as I tend to do it is not good to drink as it seems to develop a rather bitter taste that leaves my mouth dry, so definitely best drink when first made.

The ingredients are organic hisbiscus, organic spearmint, organic raspberry and chilli flakes and natural raspberry and strawberry flavours. The tea tastes mostly of the raspberries and not much of chilli, the chilli flavour seems to come though at the end just as you swallow the tea, so its not a burning chilli taste, just a mellow hint.

Overall I would recommend this tea to others as it is well priced, tastes great and is very refreshing.

22.07.2013 09:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

Overall good sun protection for babies skin

I picked up a 200ml bottle of this sun lotion in Boots recently for £5.24 as we have been travelling through Northern Spain and Portugal and knew the weather was going to be good. The lotion is fragrance free and offers a EU compliant UVA/UVB protection system that provides sun protection as soon as it is applied. It is water resistant, though you are advised to reapply after being in a swimming or paddling pool. It also has a 4 star superior rating. It is suitable for children aged 3 month to toddler age, I have been using this on my 3 year old with great results.

The sun lotion comes in a blue plastic bottle and offers 50 + sun protection, the bottle has a flip top lid that is easy to use and the lotion is white and not overly thick, it is fragrance free but it has a slight smell, that I cannot really define, it just smells likes sun lotion if you know what I mean? I did find that as the temperatures increased the sun lotion would become thinner in consistency in the bottle, so it is best left in the shade, as will also become a little warmer if left in the sun. I used a whole bottle during our 3 week holiday and it was applied everyday, many times.

The lotion is easy to apply and dries quite quickly giving a slightly greasiness to the skin, which if on the beach will make sand stick to you!. It does not stain clothing and is easy to wash off in the shower and, it also left a slight white sheen to my son's skin if not fully rubbed in, I tended to notice that in the evening at shower time it had accumulated at the back of his ears. As with other lotions I have used, if it gets in your hair it will need to be shampooed out and if it gets in your eyes, you will need to rinse with clean water, also it does not taste very nice, so my son said after he opened his mouth whilst it was being applied (no harm done though!)

Overall I would recommend this sun lotion to others as it protected my son's skin well, was well priced and lasted a long time.

19.07.2013 09:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

Long lasting and smells fresh and feminine

I was on holiday recently and purchased a 100ml bottle of this eau de toilette, which included a 100ml bottle of the body lotion for £50.40 (June 2013). I had a quick look on the House of Fraser website and it currently retails at £43, so overall I am very pleased with the price I paid.

The eau de toilette has a very fresh fragrance and is made up of Pallida Lily, Lily of the Valley, Violet, Heliotrope, Cedar and Galbanum. It has a fabulous lingering scent that is floral, yet fresh and light, which is great for the summer months. It is not over powering and I find that two sprays is plenty to last all day.

The bottle is rectangular and very simply designed, it looks very elegant on my dressing table. The bottle is made from frozen matt glass and the eau de toilette is a light green colour. The bottle comes presented in a sturdy cardboard box that again is simply designed. The dispenser is easy to use and sprays evenly and the lid is made from silver metal.

Overall I would recommend this eau de toilette to others as it is light and fresh, a little goes a long way and the design of the bottle is classic and elegant. The only downside is the price, therefore I give this product 4 Dooyoo stars.