NowheresEnd

Member since: 28.11.2010

People that trust me

03.02.2011 15:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good continuation of the plot with some character progression.

General Plot (shortened version from my review of Vol 1) The basic plot revolves around a scholarship student named Haruhi Fujioka, whom stumbles in upon the "Host Club" - a club devoted to helping the rich young ladies (and gentlemen if they are that way inclined) spend their leisure time happily - while looking for a quiet place to study. Here Haruhi meets the rest of the characters whom will remain with us throughout the story: Tamaki (the King), Kyoya (the Shadow King), Mitsukuni (Hunny), Takashi (Mori) and the twins, Hikaru and Kaoru, each of course has their special skill for entertaining the clients of the 'Host Club'. The series continues by describing interesting/humorous events that happen in and around the 'Host Club'. Volume Specific Plot The first story of volume 7 is all about the 'Shadow King' Kyouya, and starts with him waking up in a noisy mall-type area, surrounded by 'commoners'. Haruhi happens upon him and saves him from being lost without money or a phone, and treats him to fast food. Afterwards, while walking around, Kyouya's personality shows through when browsing the porcelain. The second story in this book is based around Hunny and his newly introduced little brother, Yasuchika (Chika for short). It begins with Chika attacking Hunny, and turns into a Host Club game of 'reunite the brothers', as they have never been very close. We also meet Mori's younger brother, Satoshi, who is charged with caring for Chika the same way Mori does for Hunny. This story runs into the third chapter of this book, and culminates in a battle between Chika and Hunny, with cake and Bun-Bun at stake. The fourth story in this book starts with the Host Club visiting Haruhi's home, and receiving the shock of seeing Ranka (Haruhi's father) in his 'manly' state. It turns out that haruhi isn't home, because shes been abducted by the Zuka Club to star in their musical. The Host Club plot to save her, aided by her father, and ends in true Host Club fashion, with much hilarity. The fifth story in this book is an extra about the Hitachiin twins, containing the saga of when they first cried in public, so almost all of it is drawn with them as children. The final story in this Volume is a bonus manga called Love Egoist (Please Please Me) which continues from the earlier 'Love Egoist' bonus manga, picking up a little while after the first one ends. Sumire is still in love with Mr. Saginuma, and as she says "nothing has changed". He still feels little for her and goes to the Kuronuma twins for help. Needless to say, because shes spending so much time with him the other girls at school begin to bully her, but she decides not to take revenge as she would have done, but quietly puts up with it, until Mr. Saginuma tells her to stop helping him and go away. The ending I will leave to you to read. Drawing Style/Substance The drawings, as usual, are excellent, although the first story lacks somewhat in the backgrounds as it is not based at the High School. This is definitely made up by the level of detail and flamboyance in the fourth story, when Haruhi and the Host Club end up at St. Roberia's School. The extra manga is lovely, and shows once again the manga-ka's ability to regress her characters looks to perfection (the twins are impeccably drawn and very cute). The bonus manga is in the same more round style with a lack of backgrounds as the other bonus manga's are, but is still pleasant to read/look through. Other Positive This volume is highly re-readable, and includes a lot of character revelations, and some of their history. It also incorporates a lot of the secondary characters from earlier books, which brings back some fun faces. Other Negative As mentioned, the backgrounds as lacking in chapter one, and there are quite a few panels in this book (probably more due to the story line than laziness) that have few characters lines in, which can make it seem a bit disappointing. However, the bonus manga is the best so far, and doesn't disappoint as its length is quite long. This does mean that the OuHos part of the volume may seem short, and this could be found disappointing to fans who wanted a long plotline this volume. Even with the shorter stories, and the lack of backgrounds/speech I still think that this is a good volume by Hatori, particularly as few of the stories are related and so would require more research/different drawings. It is as always a pleasure to read and one that will be staying firmly put on my shelf for re-reading!

28.01.2011 11:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good for summer, going out or everyday wear, just make sure you have the time to wait for it to dry!

I bought Avon's Arabian Glow Speed Dry Nail Enamel as part of a deal on their Arabian range including the Multistylo (see my other reviews). Avon no longer offer this nail varnish, however their usual nail varnish's cost £3.00 during sales and normally sell at £6.00. Packaging The nail varnish is in a clear glass bottle, so the product is easy to see inside, with its gold-peach colourings. The lid is made of the same brown/bronze plastic that Avon use for most of this range. The top of the lid is crowned by a gold plastuc circle with the Avon 'A' logo upon it, and on the front of the glass bottle is the Avon logo, the title of the product and the amount inside the bottle (12ml). There is no ingredients list on the bottle or even a shelf life. The brush inside is long and thin and is easy to use when applying your nail varnish, and the thinness really helps stop spillage over the nail onto the skin. The Enamel As with all nail varnishes this one smells strongly of acetone and the other chemicals they put in them. However this is definitely worth it for the beautiful shimmery peach-pink-gold-bronze combo you get in this product! It will shimmer between these colours in different lights, and at different angles, which makes it great for a variety of outfits, and even for every day wear as it blends well into skintone if you only apply one coat. This varnish really does need two coats though, if you want the full blast of colour, and it takes an awfully long time to dry. I love nail varnishes and have tried loads in the past (and still own tons!) and for a product that boasts speed drying I'm afraid it falls a good half an hour short of 'speedy'. Personally I think its worth the wait, as it lasts and wears well - I've rarely had it chip unless doing serious manual labour - and it looks great on. Its also easy to top up if it does chip because the colour all blends together rather than showing up little darker/lighter bits from where you've patched it. One last thing about this enamel is that it does need a really good shake beforehand, and it has a ball inside to help with that. Otherwise the varnish will be runny and the colours won't have mixed together as well as they should. Overall I would say this is a really good nail enamel, because of the colour and length of wear time, but I'll rate it down at 4 stars because of the overly long drying time.

28.01.2011 10:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good for lips but thats about all!

I bought Avon's Arabian Glow Multistylo as part of a deal from their Arabian Glow line, along with a nail varnish (will be reviewing that too later). At the time it sold for an overall price, at the moment it is on special for £3.50, but it usually sells for £6.00. Packaging The multistylo comes in a brown-bronze coloured plastic tube, with a gold plastic circle on top of the lid (with the Avon logo 'A' on it) and a gold plastic ring around the middle. The lid pops off the top very easily and clicks down back into place with no fuss, and it isn't loose so it won't fall off. You simply twist the base of the multistylo to reveal the lipstick-like product inside. The Multistylo Avon sell this product as "3-in-1 sun-kissed colour for lips, eyes and cheeks" (taken from the online Avon Shop), but I haven't really found it that effect except for on the lips. However, I will review all three areas having tried using it for all these purposes. General The product looks like a mid-brown colour, and only measures at just under 3cm when relatively unused, which is quite a small amount for the price. It gives off not smell except for the normal make-up odour. Lips This product will glide on easily over lips because its design really suits being a lipstick more than anything else. Its smooth and melts easily when it comes in contact with them, and gives okay coverage. It does press off easily against things (such as when you kiss, or drink from a glass) but the colour will stay at a golden-brown state even when kissed away. It won't last you all night though, and it can be quite tacky/sticky-feeling. Cheeks As mentioned above, it glides on easily, but is very sticky. If you try to buff it in like a cream blusher, most of the colour rubs away (this is actually a good thing if you're not tanned as the colour is very dark). It does not gives much coverage at all, and you'll have to smear on quite a lot to be able to get anywhere. It remains sticky to the touch even when buffed in, which is off-putting, and it really shows up the pores unfortunately, so its not great as a blush. Eyes Its stickiness is uncomfortable (for me at least) to wear on my eyes as is its weight on my eyelids, and the colour doesn't really suit me either. For darker eyes (unlike my blue ones) this might work better, but you'll still have to wipe away all that excess if you don't want your eyes sticking together. The ease of use is high though, as it will melt when in contact with warm skin and smooth on nicely, so it would be good if you were in a rush maybe. Overall I would say that Avon really missed the mark with this product. It doesn't work as a 3-in-1 and they would have done better to market it as a lipstick (as it makes a great base to make your own colour, or to create a 'nude' look). Its weight on skin, its stickiness, and the un-usable-ness of it (especially at £6.00!) cause me to rate it down at two stars.

• Avon Liquid Eyeliner / Make Up / 11 Readings / 11 Ratings
      27.01.2011 13:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

A very disappointing eyeliner from Avon, that did nothing it promised to, except cost me money!

I bought Avon's Liquid Eyeliner thinking that it would be easy to use and work well as an alternative to a pencil. Oh how I was wrong... Packaging The eyeliner comes in a pen-like plastic tube, dark navy blue in colour, with the Avon logo and the title of the product on the side. There is no ingredient list, or even a shelf life on mine! A bit of an oversight by Avon, although mine is now quite an old version and it may have been updated. The top half of the pen unscrews and under the lid is a long felt 'nib' or brush. The Eyeliner Oh boy here we go, first off, the line I get from this is so very weak I can barely see it on my hand, let alone around my eyes! The shade I chose was Black so I assumed it would be the darkest of all the colours available. Even using the side of the brush doesn't add anything to the colour, or the width either. The liner dries quickly, but does not last at all long, the first hint of moisture will see it - or should I say we won't see it - vanish! I've also found that when lining the inside of my lash line, the colour is even less strong, as the inner eyelid rim tends to be slightly moist anyway. The liner can sting somewhat too, although this is fairly minor for a liquid liner. The liner smells like chemicals which is a bit off putting, and due to having to add more than one coat every single time I applied this liner, the brush has also started to shred slightly, as the felt disintegrates. Not only this, but now (after having it a year or so) the ink is drying up and it has to be dampened slightly to work! The price as I write is currently £3.50 on sale discount, and £7.00 full price. When I bought this product it was at the £3.50 price and I would never buy this again, as it has done nothing for me. Its shabby design, weak colour and short rate of decay (both on skin and in the tube) has left me very disappointed. I can sadly only rate this one star.

26.01.2011 16:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

Everyone's a bit strange, even me.

Here we go, my first discussion post! Got to this through looking at one of the people who rated one of my reviews. 1) When eating friend eggs, I have to chop all the white off and away from the yolk, and peel away the white/goo that surrounds the yolk as well. I east all the white etc with my beans or whatever else I'm having with it, leaving the yolks til last, and then I grab the ketchup (that's right, ketchup) squirt some on the plate and dunk ym yolks in it and then eat them. Yummy. 2) When I play Sims, and I play it quite a lot (since I was about 13) I build more than anything else. This may not sound that weird, but I have whole neighbourhoods devoted to building houses. 3) I smell my arm when I'm tired. I'm assuming I did it when I was a baby. I also do it unconsciously so I'm completely unaware...and then people tell me that I'm tired because they can all tell, embarrassingly. 4) I have a an obsession with correct grammar - or should that be correcting other people's grammar? I also get up on my high horse over spelling. If I see something spelt/grammatically wrong I feel a compulsion to correct it. I think it makes up for the fact I'm a complete slob. 5) When I'm ill I prefer to sleep on the floor, even though its cold. I have to get closer to the ground, I guess. If a headache comes along, bam! I'm down there on the floor curled up. And it cures the illness too I'm sure, otherwise I mope around or can't sleep. So there you go, a little about my oddities that might interest people. I could've listed a lot more about food but that would be boring. I'm pretty sure everyone has these sorts of little quirks though, its what makes us individuals, right? Or maybe its just me with these sorts of ones, haha!

26.01.2011 16:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good for when you've got time on your hands, or for every day wear by experienced liner users.

I bought Avon's Colour Trend Eyeliner Brights (in 'Plum') during my liquid eyeliner phase, where I needed all my eyeliners to be dark and heavy - hence using Avon's cheaper brand (when I bought it priced at £1.50). Packaging The eyeliner comes in a clear plastic bottle with a ridiculously long lid of clear blue coloured plastic. As the bottle is transparent you can easily see the colour and quantity of the eyeliner, which I have found to be very useful as it gets near to the bottom. On the front in black hard-to-read writing is the Colour Trend logo, and on the back the shelf life (12 months) but no sign of the ingredients list - which seems to be a trend in Avon, to leave the ingredients on the packaging you're most likely to throw away, the box your product came in! The Eyeliner The eyeliner is applied using the felt brush which is attached to the lid (the part that sits in the bottle), and slides on easily. The brush is sufficiently chiselled to give a fine point, or using the side of it, a wide line. The eyeliner itself is very cold when it goes on, and very, very dark. I cannot stress how brilliant the darkness and colour of this eyeliner is - if you are struggling with your eyeliner showing up then this is the liner for you! The purple is quite deep but vivid, and is slightly metallic so it will shine when in bright lights, an added bonus. It does takes a while to dry though, so best not to use it if you are rushing to get ready, and it smudges an awful lot while its still wet. However, once dry it lasts very well, even resisting water when you come to wash it off! I would say you can get two days worth of wear out of this one, but it will need retouching. Also, it stings terribly if it leaks into your eye while wet, and can be a real irritation (the reason I don't use liquid liner as often these days), leaving your eyes red and bloodshot - not a good look for going out. Overall though, for the price, the colour (there used to be a few to choose from: Gold, Silver, Green and Purple) and the wear you can get out of this eyeliner, I would say it's a good one for an experienced user to apply every day (as long as your eyes aren't irritated by liquid liners anyway), and is excellent for a dramatic look when you've got the time to get ready for going out.

• Avon Glimmersticks Eye Liner / Make Up / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
          26.01.2011 14:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

A luxury eyeliner that you will want to use everyday because its so easy to use!

I bought from Avon's Glimmerstick Luxe range having had so many of my eyeliner pencils break on me, and my liquid liner had started to irritate my eyes, so I turned to Avon for an alternative. I bought the Emerald glimmerstick at a reduced price of around £2.50. Packaging The eyeliner comes in a black plastic tube, somewhat like a very thin pen, with the Avon logo, the product title and the colour on the side, in the larger letters. Beneath this is the shelf life listed as 24 months from opening. There are no ingredients or warnings listed on the tube as space is quite restricted, these can probably be found on the plastic packaging that the tube was wrapped in when it arrived. The eyeliner is sealed in with a lid that is also black, and fits on easily with a small click sound. As it is so small though, its quite easy to lose, as I have done on several occasions. To gain access to the eyeliner itself all you need to do is twist the main body of the tube and it will swivel out of the top, which is a lot easier than having to sharpen a pencil! The Eyeliner The eyeliner itself is quite creamy and slides on easily, although I have found that on the inner eyelid (inside of the lashes) it can come out quite weak in colour and requires two or three coats, while on 'normal' skin (eyelid area, under the lower lash line) it can stick and drag a bit. Another drawback of its creaminess is that the stick of eyeliner in the tube can lose its defined shape after a few uses and begins to squish over the sides. It also occasionally slides back into the tube as there's no locking mechanism. Having said all this, the eyeliner itself has great long lasting effects, I have worn it over the course of two days before and it has only required a minor touch-up! It also doesn't irritate my eyes in the slightest which is definitely a plus. The colours available are good, including Blackest Black, Cosmic Brown, Majestic Plum, Saturn Grey and Starry Night Blue - evidently my Emerald has been taken off the menu since I bought it - however this is a fair range and will suit most tastes. Despite using this eyeliner regularly and having to apply more than one coat, this eyeliner lasts ages, so it is worth a bit of an investment. Pricing At the time of writing this the eyeliner is available on a sale price of £4.00, but the usual price will be £6.00. This is quite an investment for an eyeliner, and so would fall into my 'luxury' category of make-up, but I think if you can get it on sale its worth it, as it will last you at least a year with very regular use. Overall I would say this is an excellent alternative to pencil or liquid eyeliners which can break and/or irritate the eyes. This product provides a clean eyeliner that looks good and wears well, and will last you a long time!

25.01.2011 14:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice as a treat, but not really any better than cheaper alternatives.

I bought Avon's Planet Spa Himalayan Goji Berry Conditioning Hair Repair Mask because I suffer from very dry, brittle hair, and I bought it on special at the time (£2.50). Packaging The conditioner comes in a vivid maroon coloured tube, with a clear white plastic cap. On the front is the planet spa logo, and the title of the product, plus the volume (amount) which is 150ml. On the back, in very hard to read dark writing, are the directions for use in multiple languages and shelf life (12 months from opening). The ingredients and warnings are on the box that it comes in, which I have lost - great design and thought from Avon there! Directions for Use To Use: After shampooing, apply mask evenly over hair. Leave for up to 10 minutes and rinse. The Cream The cream itself is easy to squeeze out, and the slightly matte tube is easy to grip in the bath or shower. The cream smells sweet but very sharp, which is nice and refreshing. The cream conditioner is white in colour and fairly thick, and so it is more like smoothed through your hair than run through. I have found that leaving it for the whole ten minutes makes little difference, as it has done its job in about five minutes, and then I rinse with cool-ish water. I've found that the conditioner leaves my hair silkier and softer, a little shinier but...and this is the bit that annoys me, these effects don't last any longer than if I use normal conditioner. I would say they last about two to three days, which is the same result I've had from Avon's two-in-one shampoo/conditioners. Of course this could be because I have such dry hair. Also, the scent is quite light once the mask has been washed away, and can easily be overpowered by a medium-strength scent of shampoo. I've also found I need to use a fair dollop of the stuff to actually cover all of my hair, so its not the best value for money, as I get through it very quickly. Overall I would say this is no better than a normal conditioner, and I certainly wouldn't expect to pay around £5.00 for such a small tube, however the scent is nice and its okay value for money if its on special. It does make you feel a bit pampered because its something that's not part of, at least my, daily routine. For that I would rate this three stars.

25.01.2011 11:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great for making your cuticles disappear, as if by magic!

I bought Avon's Nail Experts Advanced Mira-Cuticle Vanishing Complex having been griped at by a nail and beauty therapist for my scraggy cuticles and the generally poor shape of my nails (I wash up a lot and chew my nails). She suggested pushing back by cuticles on a regular basis, as well as looking into buying a product for them. Packaging The small tube is either a pearly cream or white colour (they change packaging styles occasionally) with Avons logo and the title of the product emblazoned on the front. On the back there is simply the warning in multiple languages, the amount of complex stored in the tube (15ml) and the shelf life (12 months from opening). For the ingredients list, you need to look at the box it arrived in. The product comes packed in a pearly or black box, depending on when you buy it, and this details the ingredients on the back, while showing all the rest of the normal information as listed above. The product also comes with a paper directions for use leaflet that can be found in the box (see below). Hopefully writing it out will help those whom may have lost theirs as I did with my first pasket! Warnings/Directions For Use To use: Cleanse cuticles before using this product. For the first 7 days, massage a small amount into cuticles 1 to 3 times daily. Using the flat side of the cap, gently push back cuticles. Do not push back cuticles more than once per week. To maintain benefit use at least once a day. Caution: for external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. If product gets into eyes rinse thoroughly with water. Do not apply to damaged skin. The Cream The 'Comples' is really nothing more than a cream of sorts, and squeezes easily out of the tube. It is white in colour and gives off a slightly bitter, although not unpleasant, smell. The texture is very smooth and when rubbed in leaves no sticky or oily trace. As to the directions, I personally find that the lid doesn't help push back my cuticles at all, and so I use my fingers to do it (which works a lot better). The cream works very well though, and I don't even have to apply it every day! Once I've applied it and pushed them back, my nails look smoother and shinier already. As I apply it at the beginning of the week, I can say it does last me about three days of nice cuticles, before mine begin to look a little shredded again, so I then reapply. My cuticles have never got to the horrible state they were in before I began using it, even after neglect lasting two months! The cream is also excellent if you find your nails look a bit worse for wear after removing nail varnish, as it really boosts their natural shine and beauty. For the £5.00 that it normally sells at (or even better when on sale, or part of a deal) this cream will last you at least a years worth as you only need to apply a minimal amount, and this really boosts its value. Overall, a really good product that does what it says, and quickly too, and even better, has long lasting results!

24.01.2011 14:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great as a blush but less so as a bronzer, and really only suits darker skin tones.

I bought the Avon Arabian Glow Bronzing Pearls when they were on special along with the multi-stylo. Currently they are available full price for £9.00. Packaging The pearls come in a medium sized brown-gold pot, with the Avon 'A' logo on the front, but with not additional pictures or words aside from that. On the base there is a sticker detailing the company, the product title, weight (22g) and suggested shelf life (24 months). To find the ingredients and directions for use, check the back of the box that the pot arrived in, as this isn't available on the pot itself (a bit of a design flaw there!). The lid is a basic screw cap, and turns on and off nice and easily. Avon's Suggested Directions For Use BRONZING PEARLS: Apply with a dusting brush to face and body for an all over golden glow. The Pearls The pearls themselves are small spherical pellets of brown and peach/gold colour, and don't actually look appeal at all. The amount of pearls you get is very minimal but, thank goodness, you don't need to scrub them to death to get out a decent coloured blush from them. I would say they fill up about one third of the pot that they are delivered in. I'm actually quite happy with the depth of the pot as it means when you are gathering the colour by mixing them around with your brush they don't all ping and pop out of the pot. The colours you are likely to get out of these pearls are a reddish browny-bronze colour which will work on sun tanned or dark skin tones, but leave great red/orange looking streaks on very fair skin tones. The pearls actually have a slight sweet scent to them as well, which is a nice addition to the normal simply powdery scent of make-up. When applying this make-up I would suggest using a contoured blusher brush, and swirling the pearls around for a second or two with the brush, before tapping the brush on the side of the pot lest any pearls get stuck in the bristles (as this happens very regularly - one of my bugbears with this product), and then sweeping across the entire face for a glow or just along the cheek bones for blush. This product can definitely be used as a good blusher because it is fairly dark and can build up a nice glowy richer colour if you apply more than one coat. Overall I would say this is a good product for those of us with darker skin, but less good for fairer types, unless using solely as a blusher. The price is steep for what you're getting though, unless you use it frequently, thankfully it keeps for longer than its shelf life quite happily.

• Stargazer Eye Dusts / Make Up / 24 Readings / 24 Ratings
          24.01.2011 11:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great for a special dramatic look or just plain every day wear.

I bought Stargazer having heard of them before, but never tried them, and thought I'd give them a go. Packaging The eye shadow comes in a little black pot, with a clear plastic section on top so you can see what colour is inside. Around the outside of the clear plastic is Stargazer's logo, and on the back is a sticker detailing the number that the eye shadow is, plus the ingredients list, its opened shelf-life (12 months) and that it is made in the UK. The pot opens by unscrewing the top half (the bit with the clear part), which ultimately means loosing some of the powder when you first open it, so I think their design could have been better in that respect. The Eye Shadow The eye shadow is in a very fine powdery form, which does tend to go a bit everywhere, because of this, I suggest using it over something you don't mind being stained (or put a tissue underneath it/over your clothes while applying), and to be careful when putting the lid back on so as to limit wastage. It is easily picked up on either a brush (for long strokes) or on a sponge applicator (for more precision) and the colour sweeps onto the eye very nicely. The colour is quite vibrant (especially the darker colours) and can really be built up to a wonderfully intense shade if needs be. It also last for ages; from personal experience I can tell you it will last from 4pm application to 12 noon the next day if you're careful with it when you sleep, with little wear and only minor touch-ups required for your eyes. The powdery form of this eye shadow goes very well as a sweep over already applied pressed powder. Colours There is such a variety of colour available from Stargazer that I think everyone will be able to find something they like. They also do slightly metallic colours as well as their matte colours, for the more adventurous out there I would definitely suggest the metallic shine as it can add that bit of sparkle to your going-out make-up. The Price and Places to Buy Normally available at shops such as New Look, Boots or if you're going that way, Camden in general, it sells for around £3.50 a pot. I find this expensive if I want to buy a range of colours, particularly as each pot is only 1.8g in weight, however I managed to get my set for 50p a pot in the sale, which is more than reasonable. The intensity and staying power of this shadow is excellent and makes it one of the few shadows for this price to actually fulfil the criteria of good make-up! Overall I would say, due to their extensive range and the excellent quality of the powder, that this is a 4 star eye shadow, brought down only by the sloppy design of the pot.

21.01.2011 17:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

An excellent quick-fix moisture boost, that will leave skin silky-feeling.

After using so many of the other Avon Skin So Soft products, I decided to give their Signature Silk scented body wash a go while it was on special (around £1.50). Packaging It isn't inspiring, its just a plain cream coloured curvy bottle (think female hourglass shape) with the Skin So Soft logo branded on the front, the name of the product (Skin So Soft Signature Silk Creamy Body Wash) and the amount in the bottle (250ml). On the back is a peelable label which gives the description, directions in multiple languages, as well as ingredients. The bottle has no grip whatsoever, and is very slippery if you take it in the bath with you, plus the cap is very stiff and difficult to open if you have wet hands. One other design flaw, is that you can't leave it standing the way it's mean to be - cap down - as the cream body wash will ooze out a bit and cake all around the opening. Description/Directions for Use/Warnings With essence of silk. Instantly transforms skin, leaving it softer and smoother. Skin is dramatically irresistible to touch and sensually soft. Dermatologically tested. To Use: use washcloth or sponge to massage over body. Scent The smell of this body wash is exactly the same as a Barbie perfume I had as a child - I've even compared it since I'm sentimental and kept a teeny bit of the perfume! Basically it is very very sweet and both floral and fruity. Its very feminine, but does have a slightly chemically after-scent (rather than taste) which brings my rating down a bit, as I prefer natural scents. Consistency Best described as much like liquid sun cream, its even white like sun cream, the wash is very runny and will dribble out of the bottle on its own with no squeezing required. This means that if you squeeze though, it will shoot out and go everywhere so try and use sparingly. The Wash and Results The wash has a nice smooth texture, and both feel creamy despite its runniness. It lathers up an average amount, after rubbing it together in your hands, and smells quite nice in the bath with other girly-type bath essentials such as bombs or bubble-bath. It applies and washes off easily, and cleans well too in those areas that need cleaning properly. It hasn't given me any skin irritation or redness at all despite its perfume content. Here's the best bit, it actually does what it says it will! After simply having washed with it (i.e. not left the wash lathered on my skin for long) it instantly makes your skin feel softer! If you leave the wash on for longer and scrub a bit with it, it will also leave it a bit smoother too. Both these effects last after you exit the bath (or shower) and will continue for a good few hours afterwards. My skin felt just like they said: silky, soft and smooth. But, and this is the negative side, if you want proper moisturisation which lasts for a couple of days rather than an evening I would suggest topping up with either oil or cream after using the wash and drying off, because then it really locks the moisture you've gained from the wash. Overall I would say that this is an excellent body wash, which really does what it says, and is great for a quick moisture fix. But if you're looking for long term moisture, think about topping up with oils and creams afterwards, to extend the silky smooth feeling.

21.01.2011 15:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

The streaks and blotches outweigh the pluses of the moisturiser in this case.

I bought Avon Skin So Soft Sation Glow Moisturiser about a year ago to keep my tan alive from summertime to autumn, but it has gone mosdtly unused and let me tell you why... Packaging Okay, this is nice enough, in a tube-like container for easy squeezing, it is a bronzed pink-peach colour with the bring logo and the title of the product proudly emblazoned at the front, plus which skin tone its made for (I went for fair skin tones so that it wouldn't be too dark), and the amount of moisturiser (250ml). On the back is the description/warnings in multiple languages, as well as the ingredients list. Description/Direction for use/Warnings For a gradual summer glow. Firms and tightens while giving skin a natural glow. To use: use daily as body lotion. Wash hands after use. Warning: Avoid contact with eyes. Keep out of reach of children. Scent The scent is very light and quite nice, giving off powdery (like talc) tones while retaining a gentle sweetness. As it warms up though (either in your hands or on your skin) it can smell a bit...plastic-y. Its not very enjoyable when it gets to this phase, and is probably something to do with the tanning element of the cream. Consistency The cream is a bit runny for my liking, and goes crusty and brown if left on the cap of the tube. The texture is good and smooth though, which is excellent for application, however... Tanning Results Well, I've tried on several occasions to get this to work, but every time so far (maybe I'll try again in summer) it has left horrible streaks down my legs and, to make it worse, is not at all a tan colour. Its more of an off-brown orange colour. I have also had it stain my clothes despite the fact that I had waited for it to soak in and it had felt dry-ish and not tacky. Luckily it did wash out of my clothes but it was worrying when it happened. I have tried using it on dry unprepared skin, and on freshly bathed and scrubbed skin too, but has the same effect each time, which is really sad because I like the rest of the Skin So Soft range. Moisturiser The tanning effect aside, the moisturiser in this product is as good as the rest of the Skin So Soft range, and will leave your skin feeling nice and soft and smooth afterwards particularly if you have stubbornly dry skin (as I have). I don't think it lives up to the hype of 'firming' your skin - I've found the oils from this range work a lot better for that - but it may be that it only takes effect with daily use, which I refuse to having had bad experiences of the tanning side. The cream soaks in well, and didn't leave any oiliness on my skin afterwards, but as I said, it can stain clothes so be careful! Overall I am pretty much disappointed with this Avon product, mostly because the tanning aspect of the cream doesn't seem to work for me at all, leaving streaks, blotches and generally being orange coloured.

20.01.2011 11:27

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great for a winter brekkie when its cold out, and boosts your fruit intake for the day.

I have hated porridge ever since I first tried it, but when my mum bought a plain Dorset Cereals Porridge pack, and got me to try it, I found I liked it, and decided to buy the Fruity Porridge when it was on offer. Packaging The Dorset Cereals Company has a very distinctive style of design, namely that of a very simplistic leaf or tree, and the Fruity Porridge comes in a bright cherry (or cranberry) red with the leaf design on the front. Inside you get little packets of one-person portion sized porridge sachets, also in red. The packets are made of paper and are easily ripped open if you're in a hurry, and can be recycled, which is a bonus. The Porridge Dorset Cereals suggest heating 125ml of milk until it just comes to the boil, and then adding their porridge mix, and allowing to simmer for 1-2 minutes. I have found that 125ml leaves the oats a little dry still, so I like to use about 135-140ml instead, but this is just down to personal preference. The porridge itself is made from high quality British oats, and has both cranberries, raspberries and raisins added in to make it fruity. When cooked, the Fruity Porridge itself tastes in general slightly sweeter than the plain kind, since as the fruit warms through it releases certain sugars out into the porridge. When eating the raisins, raspberries and the cranberries they make the porridge very sweet, but pleasantly so, as I find porridge is a bit bitter sometimes. The cranberries and raspberries are sometimes a bit crunchy or gritty, but I think that's the nature of the dried version of them, while the raisins even it out by being a little overly gooey. The porridge is a great breakfast though, and a really good starter to the day, as it keeps me energised right through until lunch. Ingredients/Nutrition British porridge oats (72%), sultanas (17%), raspberry flavoured oats (porridge oats, natural flavourings), sweetened dried cranberries (3%) (cane sugar, cranberries, sunflower oil), freeze dried raspberries (1%). Per 100g, as sold Energy (KJ/kcal) 1393/330 Protein 10.2g Carb's/Sugars 58.7g/11.0g Fat 6.0g - Saturates 1.5g - Mono-Unsat. 2.9g - Poly-Unsat. 1.4g Fibre 12.3g Salt/Sodium below 0.1g for both Overall I think this is an excellent breakfast choice as it is filling (and warming in the winter), and is healthier than some other cereals because of the nature of porridge (oats) and the addition of fruit. Plus, it supports a British company, who are committed to using British foods (mostly) and recycling. I would suggest and recommend this to anyone who likes porridge and wants to be a little healthier with the fruit content, but who wants it in the convenience of packeted form!

20.01.2011 10:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

A very good moisturiser, as long as you can get it for a good price.

I have been using Avon's Skin So Soft range for about three years now, and my particular favourite is the Fusions Dual Softening Body Oil spray. The Packaging The oils come in a clear plastic bottle, with a pink plastic nozzle. Proudly displayed on the front is the Skin So Soft logo, the title of the product, and the amount in the bottle (125ml). On the back are the directions for use and warnings in multiple languages, plus the ingredients list. Description/Directions For Use/Warnings This luxurious body oil has two layers which activate when shaken. TO USE: Shake well. Apply daily over body. Caution: Flammable. Contains oxybenzone. Keep out of the reach of children. The Oil The oil(s) are separately to begin with, one coloured pink, the other clear, and when shaken up and mixed together well, turn into a milky cloudy oil-plus-moisturiser. The scent matches that of the rest of the range of 'soft and sensual', and is very sweet with prominent top notes being noticed at first, and smells very feminine. It is quite delicate when the scent hits the skin though, so it won't overpower any other perfume you might want to put on. The scent has really good lasting power, especially when applied after a bath, as I find I can still smell it faintly the day after! The oil sprays in a light mist, with little to no direction, so be careful not to leave anything out that you don't want to be a little oily. The oil is very gentle and light on the skin, and is absorbed easily into dry skin, although it has a tendency to sit on the skin of people who are a tad on the oilier side. It leaves skin feeling very soft (which I am happy to report lasts for a good 24 hours), and looking slightly shiney for a while afterwards. The other effect I have noticed from this oil is that it can help if you are exercising/losing weight (as can most oils) to keep skin supple and firm, and is a good thing to use if you wash after exercising, to boost your bodys moisture (after all the sweating). Other This has actually been out of the Avon catalogue for a while, but thankfully they are bringing it back under a new name, 'Satin Sheer Body Oil, Dual Replenishing'. I have just bought a bottle of this for the on-offer price of £2.05, but this is likely to increase to a whopping £5. My advice is to keep an eye out for offers on this product, as I think £5 is a lot for 125ml. Overall I would definitely say that this is an excellent oil to use for anyone with dry or normal skin, as it really does moisturise well and is absorbed quickly.