Torialou

• Comments

Member since: 10.03.2013

• Lovetheatre.com / Online Shop / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      16.02.2015 02:11

Advantages

• "honest straight forward company"
      • "clear helpful information"
      • "Great ticket offers"

Disadvantages

• "offers are limited to specific times and dates"

Brilliant site for cheap theatre tickets!

Lovetheatre is a really good theatre ticket discount site, they have been around for a long time are are very well known. They offer a variety of reduced price tickets available on their website for shows, these vary all the time.

The site is very easy to use but unlike some sites the discounts displayed are often very limited in availability so you do need to be flexible with your options.

The site makers have really gone to great lengths to help anyone purchasing tickets by giving a lot of useful information about the shows and venues not just a small piece about the actual show. They give information such as run times, venue addresses, show times, captioned performance dates, when anyone famous is due to be on leave is listed to help avoid disappointment, seating plans and even reviews of the show from other customers.

A hidden part of Lovetheatre is their show pairs section, in years gone buy you used to order vouchers in order to be able to purchase the show pair tickets but now you simply need to log in and order them. Show pairs are tickets that can only be bought in pairs, there is usually only 4-6 shows that they offer show pairs for at any one period of time but you basically get 50% off a full price ticket for the show. Over the years we have had some amazing tickets via show pairs and never had a restricted view type seat from this offer.

The Love Theatre website has a brilliant mailing list which is always up to date and lets you know of any flash sales that they have fairly often.

I have also always felt like the company is very open with information, I have never found anything hidden in small print and we have never had any issues at all with our bookings.

I have only once required assistance and it was a while ago when they stopped using the vouchers for the show pair tickets and I could not understand where the link was to buy the vouchers so ended up emailing the company. I had a really speedy and very polite and helpful email response from them which was really reassuring.

I would have no problems recommending the site to anyone!

• theworks.co.uk / Online Shop / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      16.02.2015 01:37

Advantages

• "brilliant delivery options"
      • "good layout"
      • "Fab offers"

Disadvantages

Great site for bargains!

I have bought from the Works many times, the site is really easily laid out with very clear menu's which help finding items very easy, The Works is a store that sells a huge array of items that change almost daily so for me I find it very important that I can browse easily as I am often browsing for ideas rather than knowing what I am looking for.

I use this site a lot for books and games as gifts or for myself, because I can not easily carry them due to their weight I prefer to have them delivered. What I love about this site is that they offer a huge array of delivery options, from free delivery to next day and all at a very reasonable cost. They also do click and collect if you have a store near you. Delivery is always really fast and I have never had a problem with the parcels being poorly wrapped.

No only does the site have a lot of really good value items, they always have offers on ranging from a reduced items, multi buys, a certain discount or often free delivery even on small orders! What I really find great about this site is that they advertise and show these offers really clearly, they are always highlighted on the home page with clear information about the offer but there is also a special offers section where they are all clearly listed as well, this is really handy if you are looking for items in the same multi buy offers.

Although you never know what you can buy in The Works I find that is half the excitement of shopping on the page, finding what exciting offers I am going to find that day!

I would have no problems recommending this site to anyone, it's very easy to use and all information is really easy to locate and simple to understand. The company has never let me down and items have always been as described.

• travelstay.com / Online Shop / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
        15.02.2015 22:10

Advantages

• "low deposit"
        • "university halls when holidays are on"
        • "Lots of B&b's that are not listed elsewhere"

Disadvantages

Great company for cheap B&B's

I have used Travelstay many times over the years, I have spent a lot of time in London over the years and before I got my flat I was always looking for a B&B or somewhere to stop.

I came upon Travelstay during a google search and I have to admit the first time we used them I was a little dubious as their site is very basic looking and a little gaudy design wise. They do however specialise in B&B, college and University lodgings when they are on holidays and hostel type accommodation.

The company focuses on several larger cities rather than a massive countrywide database but they have a massive selection for London, mostly small bed and breakfasts that do not have their own websites and as such use the services or a site like this.

The site is very easy to use, the location, dates and number of people are very clear to locate and fill in, once you have done this it searches the database for matching hotels. The site has a really easy to use but amazing set of filters that you can apply and the thing I like is that it defaults to cheapest rooms rather than recommended. I have no idea when a site knows you are looking for cheap sets to recommended!

The photos and reviews are a little limited on the site, some places have some and others non but so far I have only had one bad room that did not match the description.

The site takes a very small deposit at the time of booking, the rest you have to pay when you get to the accommodation. There are no booking fee's but I have had several incidents where I booked with this site and got to the accommodation to be informed they only took cards and had to pay a booking fee with them which I was not happy about.

I however still use them fairly often and find the university rooms often the best value for London trips when they are on holidays. The ones we use are in Covent Garden and have their own fridge and hob in the room so we can eat in the room which really helps reduce costs further and walk to pretty much everything.

I have never had to cancel so I can not comment how easy their system is to use however I would have no problem suggesting the company to someone trying to locate a good value cheap place to stop.

17.01.2015 20:36

Advantages

• "natural "

Disadvantages

• non

Fab natural relaxation product

The Product ….

The product is a mixture of 5 flower essential oils designed to help relax and calm you that you take orally. The bottle says Rescue Remedy to comfort and reassure!

The product contains Rock Rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem and Cherry Plum all mixed in with a grape alcohol solution.

The Packing ….

The bottle originally came in a yellow card board box, inside is a small brown glass bottle, it reminds me of something from years gone by really, a bit like some old medicine bottle. I am not used to having glass bottles for items these days and tbh it does make it a lot more heavy than a plastic one and does often stop me from carrying it around in my handbag as much as I would like.

The bottle has a label with the same bright yellow colour that was on the cardboard box, it really does stand out against the brown bottle and also helps make the black and grey text easier to read.

The top of the bottle is a screw top with a little pipette on top, when you open the twist cap it reminds me even more of an old medicine bottle, inside the pipette dropper is also made of glass, clear this time with a small u shape at the end.

To Use ….

The product can be use in several ways, the first can be to dilute 4 drops in some water and sip slowly or simply add 4 drops to the tip of your tongue and swallow. The drops can be used at will through out the day as needed.

Personally I simply use them on my tongue but the taste really is vile, however it is gone after a few swallows which is much better than sipping it slowly in my opinion.

The pipette is really effective it seems to actually always collect the right amount of drops, I am not sure how they have managed that but it is really helpful.

Cost ….

The product comes in two sizes, a 10ml and 20 ml bottle. The 10ml bottle costs around £7.50 and the 20ml around £10 depending where you purchase. They are available in most chemists, Boots Superdrug and Holland and Barrett.

Does it work? …

I have to admit when she suggested this product I was very sceptical, what would some flower oils do? However after borrowing hers I had to admit they do seem to help, as soon as I have swallowed them I have a calming sensation its really bizarre but I do feel relaxed. Unfortunately it does set my reflux going but that is easily enough fixed with an antacid. Overall though this product does a really outstanding job of calming me down.

17.01.2015 01:21

Advantages

• cost
        • size

Disadvantages

Good value tin less than 35p a tin and works perfectly!

The Product ….

I think we all know what hairspray is but it is a spray designed to spray onto a persons hair to help keep short hairs into a desired place, hold hair in styles etc. Hair sprays come in different strengths but are all designed to be gentle enough that when you brush the hair the spray looses its hold and your hair returns to it's normal condition with no left over residue.

The clubbers hair spray is a strong hold (they call it extra hold) spray this is because it is designed to keep styles in place while someone is dancing also most clubs can be very hot so it needs hold in the heat also.

The Packing ….

For as long as I can remember I have never seen the handbag tins available as a single product so I am not sure if they make one, mine have always come in packs of three stuck together in a small triangle shape.

Now my tins are old, and are small metal aerosol tins with really pretty coloured lines around the tin and a pale purple nozzle when a semi opaque light purple plastic lid. When I googled to see the current cost for the review they appear to have changed the tin to an all black tin with the outline of a head and hair on it.

The small tins contains 45ml each.

Directions for use ….

Holding the tin of hairspray at least 30cm away from your head, spray evenly over your finished hair style. It is important that you do spay at arms length or you can end up with areas of hair that received a larger dose of hair spray and turn very hard.

Cost ….

I bought mine at least a year ago and we stocked up at the time because they were giving away hair bands with stars on attached to the packs, me and my mate are both very into objects with stars on so we grabbed a couple of packs each as such I can not remember the cost but I think it was 99p from bodycare. Looking online I see they are still selling for around £1 which is really good value in my opinion.

Summary ….

I really like these sprays they hold well and do not leave my hair sticky or anything once I have brushed it out. For me these are great value less than 35p a tin and a perfect size for a handbag, they are also fairly light for a tin can.

13.01.2015 23:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not the best taste but a hug in a cup when you need one!

I have an awful immune system since I got ill and as such I am forever catching colds, whenever I am full of cold the first thing I alway reach for are my Lemsip Blackcurrant, I have gastric reflux so the Lemon ones cause me issues.

The Packing ....

The product comes in a cardboard box that is green in colour with the Lemsip logo at the top and the tick across the middle. At the bottom is an image of some hands nursing a cup of the product and a list of what ailments the product helps with. The box opens at the top and inside the product is inside small square sachets.

The Product ....

The product is a powder that you add to hot but not boiling water and drink, it helps with all cold and flu associated symptoms such as blocked noses, headaches, fever, pains and sore throats.

To Use ....

To use the product you tear open one of the sachets and pour into a mug, then add hot but not boiling hot water and stir. It is best to allow it to cool a while because it can still be red hot or add a little of cold water if you can not wait. Then drink!

Cost ....

These cost around £3.99 for a pack of 10 so are not cheap but really do work so are worth it.

Dose ....

Adults and children 12 and over one sachet every 4 to 6 hours. Do not take more than 4 sachets in a 24 hour period.

My Thoughts ....

I find the taste of these awful but they help so much that I still reach for them every single time I have a cold. They do not get rid of my cold but they do reduce the symptoms helping me cope better.

Summary ....

I have no problem recommending these, they work really well and although expensive they are worth it. For me they are a 5 out of 5.

13.01.2015 02:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

Effective own brand at half the cost!

A few months ago I was full of the most awful cold/flu bug but when I got to the cupboard we were all out of lemsips, as it happened my sister was coming over to help with some jobs and get me some food in because I had been laid up for several days feeling beyond sorry for myself. I added blackcurrant lemsips to the list, however when she arrives she had substituted them with Tesco's own informing me that she always bought them now and that they were as effective but half the cost.

The Packing ....

The product comes in small paper sachets that are homed in a very basic cardboard box. The box actually looks fairly similar to my usual Lemsips and is green in colour, the lid opens on top to reveal the small sachets all lined up inside.

The Product ....

The product is a blackcurrant flavoured powder that you mix with hot water and drink to ease the symptoms of colds and flu. The drink contains pain killers and decongestants to help relive the symptoms and make you feel better.

To Use ....

Pour the contents of one sachet into a mug. Fill it with hot, (not boiling)
        water and stir until dissolved then drink.

Dose ....

Adults and children over 12 years of age one sachet every 4-6 hours. No more than 4 sachets in any 24 hour period.

These are not suitable for children under 12 years of age.

Cost ....

These cost £1.80 for 10 sachets compared to my normal Lemsip ones which set me back around £3.80 so they are really good value!

Thoughts ....

If my sister had made me this and not told me they were not my regular ones I would not have noticed any difference, they taste, look and work as well as my regular ones. I would certainly have no problems buying them in future.

Summary ....

A very effective own brand product that is just as effective and has a 4 stars from me!

13.01.2015 02:24

Advantages

• Cute

Disadvantages

• "Did not fit Iphone"

Cute holder but wish it was wider to support my iphone

I have owned this for a few years now, I am hello kitty mad and have been for many years so when I saw a mobile phone stand of her driving a car I had to buy one, I am someone who is always putting their phone down and not knowing where it is so this seemed perfect to me.

The Product ....

The product is a small soft toy that if I remember rightly on the instructions said it was ideal for use in the car as a mobile phone stand but mine has lived in my bed room since I bought it. The toy is in the shape of a pink car with hello kitty driving it and a slot where the back seat would be that you can stand your mobile phone in.

The problem I had immediately with this was that I owned an Iphone 3G when I bought this holder and it would not fit in the slot, however my ipod does so it became an ipod holder which is fine for me as well because it holds the ipod up so I can plug it into my speakers easier.

There really is not much else to say about the product, it does nothing else other than sit looking pretty!

Cost ....

I think I paid £7.99 for my holder but it was a few years now, they look to be going for around £8-10 on Amazon, I think mine came from WH Smiths.

Summary ....

A cute handy toy for hello kitty fans but I could not believe they would make one that did not fit an iphone. I do not know if they updated it to fit at a later date but mine was no where near large enough width wise and more suited to a non smart phone style mobile which was odd because Iphones had been around a long time when I bought this which to this day makes me wonder if mine is faulty. It is still cute though and I have never regretted having it albeit using it for my MP3 player instead.

13.01.2015 01:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great product to help with oily roots, leaves my hair smelling lovely!

I had never tried dry shampoo until after my accident, I was in a job that was physical so there was never a single day that I did not start out the morning without a shower and because my hair always gets greasy quickly it was always just easier to wash it daily. After my accident I moved to baths and now I only wash it every other day as such I started using a dry shampoo on days when the roots are too greasy.

Batise was the first company I tried and I have not moved away from them, they are lots of really nice scents to their product and they work really well!

The Packing ....

The product comes in a tin that resembles a large aerosol tin, I actually do not think they are the best looking of products and remind me of a large cheap hairspray tin, they are decorated with nice designs showing what scent the spray is but that is the only thing that the tins have going for them. The tins are a thin plastic lid that just pulls off to access an old style aerosol cap.

The Product ....

The product is a spray that you spray onto the roots of your hair then brush in, this somehow soaks up the grease on the roots and leaves your hair feeling clean again.

There are several different scents to choose from I have used a few but this is one of my favourites, it smells sweet like a mix of cherries and strawberries to me.

To Use ....

You simply hold the tin around 30cm from the roots of your head and spray lightly then brush or work in with your fingers. It is very important not to spray too much or you end up looking like you just tipped a load of talc onto your head because the spray comes out white when you spray it too close or heavily.

Cost ....

A normal sized tin of Batiste is around £2.99 and contains 200ml but they do small handbag sized ones that I tend to buy because I like to mix up my scents and often they are on 3 for 2 in Boots.

Does it work? ....

Yes I find that this product does do what it is meant to and make my hair feel cleaner. It does not leave any nasty residue and leaves it smelling fresh looking clean.

Summary ....

I really love my Batiste dry shampoo's, they smell really nice and do a great job. For me they are 4 out of 5 and they only loose a mark because if you get to close you can have problems.

• Travelodge in general / Hotel National / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
        13.01.2015 00:57

Advantages

• "new beds (being rolled out)"

Disadvantages

• "each hotel varies in standards so can be hit and miss"

On the up with the new beds and the new look!

I have not always been a huge fan of the Travelodge chain, until last year so many of the hotels were beyond run down, dirty and poorly run. They would not let you check in until 3pm and to top it would not store your luggage so if you are going out you are stuck all trying to get ready after 3, not easy if there are a few women in one room!

Then last year the Travelodge chain started doing up their chain to match in with the newer built hotels in their chain, on top of this they introduced the new dreamer beds by sleepeezee, a lovely king sized bed! Gone are the old worn beds that when you both laid down you rolled into the middle!

I have been sad to note that they have not changed the carpets in some that are in dire need of new ones but they have all had a fresh clean and paint, new carpets and shower curtains. As a whole the rooms are looking a lot better and the beds are really comfortable!

Travelodge also gave their old Wifi company the boot and you now get 30 minutes a day free use then £3 a day or packages available for longer. The old company charged you £5 for an hour and £10 for a day!

One thing that I wish they would make sure is more continuous is that as someone who stops with the chain a lot I never know what times food is going to be on, each hotel has their own food serving times, with some having a 24 menu and others not! When it's a chain serving the same menu I would like to see this kept the same at all of the hotels in the chain.

Travelodge now also allow late check in and out at £10 each extra charge, it sounds a lot but this allows you to check in from 12 or check out at 2pm which can be very handy.

There is something else I find hard with Travelodge online booking is non of the pages tell you if the room you are booking is a bath or shower and also when booking online there is no special requests box to request anything.

My last complaint is the staff at most hotels need to let you know that there are hair driers, ironing boards and fans available at reception but they do not and I have lost track hearing people complain that there was no dryer in their rooms.

All in all though the changes get a huge thumbs up from me!

08.01.2015 01:07

Advantages

• gentle
        • cleansing

Disadvantages

• costly

Leaves my hair soft, lovely fresh scent and long lasting.

Lush Cynthia Stout Shampoo

About ….

I was introduced to Cynthia Stout about a year and a half ago, I was in Lush when I noticed they had some smaller bottles of shampoo that would be perfect for travel. The name made me laugh and the idea of having Beer smelling hair did not appeal to me at all but the lady working there assured me it was a really nice shampoo, really cleansing so very good for my combination hair and that it left the hair really shiny.

The Packing ….

Cynthia Stout comes in a brown plastic bottle with a black flip top cap. The bottle has a black label with the Lush logo, a little about the shampoo and the ingredients on it. It also has a logo on it letting user know that this product is suitable for Vegans which means it is also suitable for vegetarians and as with all Lush products is not tested on animals.

The lid is a little stiff to open for me unfortunately! Once open there is a small hole that is used to tip the shampoo through onto your hand.

The Product ….

The shampoo has a very strong smell of beer to it along with citrus, it is a very thin shampoo with a pale brown colour to it, a little like beer actually. I find that this shampoo is a little runny in my hands and do sometimes spill a little if I am not careful.

The shampoo has a medium lather and for my hair I need to shampoo twice to ensure I get to all of my hair, however my hair is thick.

The shampoo is a gentle one that should be suitable for most hair types, I purchased it because the lady said that it was very cleansing which I really need because my roots get greasy the day after washing.

I was worried about the scent however once on my hair I actually find I adore the smell, my hair smells so fresh and and find myself flicking it so I can catch a smell of the scent! This lasts for up to 48 hours easily and does indeed keep my roots from getting greasy as fast as usual.

I really love this shampoo, I tend to use it more as a travel shampoo because it is costly but I do sometimes use it when in the home. It always leaves my hair smooth, soft and fresh. It also has a lovely shine to it once dry!

The cost ….

Cynthia comes in three different sized bottles :-

£4.50 for 100g
        £8.95 for 250g
        £14.75 for 500g

Summary ….

I would give this shampoo 5 out of 5, it is really refreshing it leaves my hair feeling smoother than normal and smelling really nice. Do not be put off by the idea of beer, it really does not smell like you had an accident and spilt your pint!

08.12.2014 20:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great conditioner for Frizzy and rebellious hair that does what it claims really well.

I love the l'oreal Elvive selection, as someone with frizzy hair I find they are one of the best to deal with my hair issues.

The Product ....

The condition is a light conditioner designed to help deal with frizzy, dry and rebellious hair, it helps to keep hair straighter than a general conditioner upon drying and also after straightening. At its best the conditioner helps keep hair straight for up to 48 hours.

The Packing ....

The conditioner comes in a plastic orange bottle that has the lid in the base, this helps the conditioner stay near the cap for ease of use.

My Opinion ....

The conditioner is a pale orange colour, with a thin but smooth consistency, its a cream conditioner. I really like this conditioner, while it is light it also is really conditioning and I find that it helps untangle my hair easily.

I find that it needs to be left on for 2-3 minutes to be most beneficial but can be put on and washed out instantly if required.

I have found that it really does improve the smoothing of my frizz, especially when I blow dry it on a higher heat. It is at its best for me when I am straightening my hair though as it leaves my hair really silky and helps keep it that way for more than the 48 hours a few times when I have needed to forgo washing too often.

The only downside for me is that I find I need to swap this conditioner out every now and again for others because it does slowly cause a build up.

The cost ....

This costs around £3.99 for a 200ml bottle but I do sometimes find it in the pound stores or supermarkets cheaper.

Summary ....

A really good conditioner for those with frizzy or rebellious hair that want help straightening and smoothing it.

04.12.2014 02:42

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice shampoo for anyone with the right frizzy rebellious hair type that wants smoother hair.

I have frizzy hair, that is the easiest way of describing it! It does not curl easily and unless I attack it with straighteners it looks like I back combed it! It's not in bad condition, its just the natural look of my hair and has been one of the biggest problems for me until I found this shampoo.

The Product ....

The product is a shampoo that has been designed to help smooth naturally frizzy hair and to keep it smooth and silky for up to 48 hours after either blow drying or straightening (depending on how frizzy your hair is I guess).

The Packing ....

The product comes in an orange semi opaque plastic bottle, the bottle has the cap in the top which is good so that the thin shampoo does not collect in the lid. The cap is a basic flip cap, with a small hole inside to pour the shampoo through.

To Use ....

The shampoo is a little runny but not awful and is a an odd orange colour similar to the colour of the bottle, to use simply pour the desired amount into your hand and lather well into wet hair then rinse and repeat as required. This product has a good lather so I do not often find it needs a second repeat.

Recently this product has added Argan Oil to the ingredients which makes it even more effective at helping straighten my hair.

Cost ...

A 400ml bottle of this costs £3.99 in boots although I often manage to grab the smaller bottles in the pound stores.

My Opinion ....

I love this shampoo it really does help make my hair smoother even just blow drying that a general shampoo, sadly though I do find I get a little residue if I use it all the time so I do alternate and tend to use then when I am straightening my hair only.

It really does do what it says on the bottle and keep my hair smooth for up to 48 hours after I have straightened it.

Summary ....

A brilliant shampoo that is outstanding for rough frizzy hair but wish it would not cause a build up on my roots. Still very much worth the cost and gets a 4 hearts from me.

• Maybelline Falsies Mascara / Make Up / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
        03.12.2014 00:48

Advantages

• "long lasting"
        • "nice curl"

Disadvantages

Really nice mascara makes my lashes look more defined and curled

I go through a lot of mascara, they always go clumpy on me before I am meant to even change them, I am also addicted to getting the best curl from my lashes and make them stand out like false lashes do without having to wear false lashes.

The Product ....

The product is a mascara that is meant to make your lashes look like you are wearing false lashes, curling, lifting and making them appear like there is more volume to them.

The Packing ....

The product comes in a very chunky purple plastic tube, it is the usual style twist cap mascara with the wand in the lid. The wand is curved shaped in this product which can sometimes make it a little harder to get to the very edge lashes I find.

The Cost ....

This mascara costs £7.99 which I think is pretty much an average value for a mascara.

My Opinion ....

I found this mascara went on well, it did not make my lashes as big as I hoped it would but it did make them look more bold than some other mascara's. I did not find that the mascara ran in heat and it lasted all day when needed which was good. It was a little clumpy after about 3 months which was a shame but it did not look clumpy on my lashes if I brushed them out after. The sad thing for me was it really was not dramatic enough to be mistaken for real false lashes.

Summary ....

A really nice mascara when it came to look on the lashes and its ability to last for the whole day without needing to top up however it did not really live up to its claims of looking like I had false lashes on. It does look really nice on though and is one I really like.

03.12.2014 00:21

Advantages

• "less nasty chemicals"

Disadvantages

• "build up "

Average but left residue on my hair and build up on roots

I have bought a shampoo and the matching conditioner of these last year, there was a huge type about them being better for your hair because they did not contain Sulphates in particular if I remember rightly SLS. On a forum I use loads of people were saying they were amazing so I splashed out.

The Product ....

The product is a shampoo that is designed to calm unruly hair and help smooth it while protecting any colour. It is meant to be better for the hair because it contains less of the cheap nasties that they usually add to provide the lather.

The shampoo is a little bit of a gunky consistency but it is thick enough that it does not run off my hand when I squeeze it into it.

The Packing ....

The product comes in a huge tube that reminds me of a massive tube of toothpaste! The lid is in the base which I like in a conditioner but I find in a shampoo it can cause the more runny product to run out as soon as you open it. While this does not happen with often but it has a few times.

The Cost ....

The cost of this is expensive, it's currently £6.99 in some stores but I did get mine for £5.00 on offer.

My Opinion ....

I did not get on with this at all, although it lathers better than I thought it would the shampoo did not smooth my hair at all and it left an awful residue on it after a few days of use. I still have not got around to finishing use of it. The scent is a little fake as well, not really appealing.

Summary ....

While I like the idea of having a shampoo with less SLS I did not find this particular one was for me. It left my hair dry on the ends, residue on the roots and did not do anything for me. It is way too expensive for what it is.