aero-zeppelin

Member since: 04.12.2008

User that trust you
      03.01.2012 23:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cool crispy tasting apple alcoholic drink

It's hard to come by apple schnapps that don't have such a bland taste such as the leading brands Sourz and Cactus Jack's. I first came across Mickey Finn's Aplle Schnapp's when I got given a bottle for Christmas a few years ago. It was the first real apple schnapp I'd properly tried to be honest which is why I've had a little shop around before I christen it the best one out there.

This brand of Mickey Finns is produced by the Original Liquor Company made using Irish green apples. I've only ever seen it sold in 50cl bottles and is always measured at 15% a.b.v. Other schnapp flavours are available in the Mickey Finn's brand though I've only ever tried blueberry and cherry and the apple flavour is by far the best.

What isolates Mickey Finn's apple schnapps from other leading brand is it's distinctive present apply taste, very crispy and just doesn't taste dirty at all which Sourz tend to do. Sampled on it's own it you can taste a slight presence of vodka and see it when poured into a clear glass. It's bearable to drink on it's own in a small measure and with ice but for the best mixture I like to use it 1 part Mickey Finn's to 1 part lemonade with ice. This still tastes fairly strong but I do like it that way but thugh I'd recommend 1 part Mickey Finn's to 2 part lemonade for a more refreshing taste. It's a perfect drink for any occasion whether you want to be social or just have a few quiet ones at home.

It's widely available in supermarkets and off-licences but I've never seen it in pubs or clubs as they tend to go for the cheaper apple schnapp's which are nowhere near as nice. All flavours are currently available in Tesco for £5 and are on offer as they usually retail around the £6-£8 mark.

On the whole I give the apple flavoured Mickey Finn's 5 out of 5 purely for it's quality in taste, and the bottle and colour is quite attractive too! I'd recommend it to anyone who drinks Sourz or Cactus Jack's because this is so much better, and if you buy it now and want to stock up, it works out cheaper too!

03.01.2012 20:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice bit of singing fun every now and again!

Singstar Party is available on PS2 and is probably the only Singstar available which suits a wide variety of people if you live in a house like me which has people citing all different kinds of taste in music. It has all the songs that you all know and some others you're not familiar with but either way they're all singable and will keep everyone happy.

I came by this game as one of my housemates bought back her old PlayStation 2 with a whole load of games and it was one of the ones we tried out and thoroughly enjoyed.

At first I'll be honest this is great fun if you're with a group of friends but after a while it does get rather reptetitive especially if you've done every song already. The interface is really easy to understand when choosing a song using the normal controller then once a gaming mode is selected and a song is chosen the gameplay is very easy to understand with a clear indication of what notes need to be sung or shouted or however you want to sing it into the microphone controllers which register your tone of voice and the idea is to match it to the song. During gameplay the lyrics are shown as is the music video wherever available, if not just a montage of the band or singer. The best thing about this game is that you don't have to be a great singer, just to be able to reach whatever note and overall it's all good fun.

On it's availibility there is a direct link from this website to Amazon but I do suggest shop around, especially at second hand shops such as Cex or Game where you could get yourself a bargain. If you have the microphones already they are compatible with other Singstar games so you wouldn't need to buy another set of microphones. There are several other versions available and I believe PS2 games are compatible with PS3 consoles.

Overall based on sheer entertainment I'd give it a 4 out of 5. If you want to keep playing this game over and over again I suggest only to do so when you come in after a night out or when you've had a few drinks, it makes the game even more fun.

30.12.2011 19:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

Value version of Magners

As a keen cider drinker I like to try and sample different ones wherever I see them, and this is how I came across Gaymer's Original cider.

For those who have a knowledge of ciders the best way to describe the taste would be slightly more bitter than Magner's but with a less distinctive crispy apple taste. It's best served ice cold or over ice though personally I'm not a fan of having ice with mine unless it's hot outside it just slightly ruins the taste for me! At 4.5% a.b.v. it's the ideal strength therefore you can enjoy as many as you like!

It's not exactly widely available, I've never seen it sold by the bottle in any pubs near me on the South Coast but it seems to be becoming more and more widely available on draught. Gaymers was recently bought by the same company who own Bulmers and Magners to which I think it will become more widely available in the future. I do see it sold in individual 568ml bottles at supermarkets and off licences, with Tesco's currently selling pint bottles for £1.69. DirectBooze.com currently sell 12x440ml cans for £9.99 which works out even cheaper, but it's always best to shop around though. If you were to buy it on draught at a pub it works out around the £2.75-£3.25 mark but I wouldn't pay any more then that for a pint.

On the recommendation front I only drink it now and again depending on which pub I'm at and wouldn't be my first choice of cider if better ones were available but Gaymer's Original is much nicer than Strongbow. It's also nicer than the Pear cider which seems to be on draught wherever the Original is available. I prefer Magners or Bulmers but if you have a budget Gaymer's tends to be cheaper and is a decent substitute, like a value version of the other two. I give it 4 stars though on the account of it's practicality while out and about though!

• Blackberry 9360 / Mobile Phone / 24 Readings / 23 Ratings
      06.12.2011 13:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Neat little smart phone which is less stressful than touchscreen!

I was due an upgrade and wanted a phone that had a keyboard as I was sick of the touchscreen on my old Samsung. Many of my friends had a Blackberry and it had tempted me to get one and try them out. Touchscreen would always annoy me because nothing that I wanted it to do seemed to happen and this is something I didn't want in my new phone.

The Blackberry Curve 9360 is a smart phone and is one of their latest designs. It has many features present in other smart phones such as an internet browser, social networking feeds, a multi-functioning media player, Wi-Fi and all the general standard features that come with a modern day mobile phone. Features unique to Blackberry which are included with this phone are Blackberry Messenger (BBM), Blackberry App store. The instructions included with the phone for once aren't in a novel for once and are in an easy to read pamphlet which easily explains all its functions and features which is a bonus if you aren't good with technology like I am! It has a

I've had this phone a good month now and have kind of deciphered it's strengths and weaknesses. As someone who's never owned a smart phone before I am very impressed with this phone. I find the featured on it easy to use and the menus have a user-friendly interface. I find the QWERTY keyboard a massive improvement on any touchscreen phone and although the keys seem small they are easy to get used to even for those with bigger fingers! The tracker ball which is used to scroll around the menus is difficult to get used to at first but very easy to use once you get the hang of it. I'm particularly impressed with the 5MP camera as it's features may be basic but the quality is perfect, and the fact it has a flash is also an extra bonus. An App can be downloaded to use the flash as a torch which is another little handy feature. The fact it has Wi-Fi is useful meaning you don't have to use up your data limit around the house or in a public space with Wi-Fi.

Unfortunately nothings perfect, and this phone does have its cons. Every so often it will freeze up and a little timer will appear, which is OK if you have the patience but it stays for a good 30 seconds sometimes and frustrating when you're in the middle of something. It's lack of application compared to its rival smart phones such as the iPhone and Android is another disadvantage. If you like watching little news snippets such as the ones on BBC News Blackberrys currently don't support flash so they don't play, although a lot of YouTube videos work on the YouTube application. If you use this phone as much as I do, the battery life doesn't last long and I often find myself charging it up to twice a day, though you can extend the battery life by closing down applications that are running in the background, such as Wi-Fi and BBM.

If you wanted to but this phone it retails around the £275 mark if you were to buy it standalone and have it on pay as you go, but is available for free on a contract, which is what I have. I currently pay £21.50 a month on Vodafone over a period of 24 months, and for that I get 100 minutes, 300 texts and plenty of data usage which is essential if you are to use a smart phone in this day and age, though Wi-Fi downloads and BBM are free of charge. I am happy with my price plan and having been with Vodafone for 8 years I'd recommend it.

The phone itself I think would make any persons life much easier. I find it easier to manage things such as Twitter and Facebook and I'm not stuck on a laptop all the time like I can be sometimes! It's a neat little phone and I'd recommend it to anyone as an upgrade or if you just want a new phone. It'd make a great Christmas present for anyone. 4.5/5

02.11.2011 20:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Standard Wetherspoon's pub

The Giddy Bridge is your standard Wetherspoon's pub which was once a grand building and now exists as a neat JD Wetherspoon pub located in Bedford Place, Southampton. It's one of 4 Wetherspoon's within Southampton and 3 within the city centre itself, and atmosphere varies from day to day.

Of the 3 within the city centre, the Giddy Bridge is by far the best for those who like their real ale, with up to 4 at a time being served on draught. It also offers ciders OTHER than Strongbow on tap which is a rarity around these parts and has an even larger offer of lagers such as Carlsberg and Tuborg. Like most Wetherspoon's it also offers a large range of bottled beers, ciders and lagers from allover the world which vary with the time of year. All are fairly priced and are just as cheap as nearby pubs if not cheaper for certain beers and ciders.

Food is of standard quality with specified ngihts such as Curry club on a Thursday which offer you a draught lager/cider/ale or a spirit mixer with the specified meal for a cheap price which saves you a decent amount of money. The food is definitely better than the other two Wetherspoon's in the city centre and is of better quality than the equally priced Avondale nearby. They offer afternoon meals between 2-5pm at reduced rates which comes with a cup of tea if wanted.

The layout of the pub is nicely presented with several different places to sit downstairs, be it on tallchairs by the window, sofas, armchairs in the corner or in those little booths, with additional seating upstairs. There is also a smoking terrace on the roof which is beautiful to sit out in when it's warm and sunny but gets busy very quickly and is quite cramped as it's fairly small. There are also seats outside the front but it's right in the street and a less attractive place to sit. When you go into the pub you are greeted with a large open space with plenty of space to queue at the bar without disturbing anyone else or being disturbed.

The atmosphere can vary depending on the time and day. It's often busy around tea-time especially at the weekends and when Southampton FC have a home match, it is crowded with people on their way home. Even then you won't have to wait more than 10 minutes to get served but some hooligan always turns up to make a noise. Regardless of the other review of this pub I can assure you it's not overrun with students. I've been in several times since starting my 2nd year of University and whenever I go with coursemates or my housemates we are outnumbered by a lot of the locals who have gone for a quiet drink in the afternoon or the older lot who fancy a quiet pint or meal in the evening. Yes if you go on a Friday or a Saturday it's as busy as any pub you'd expect but although some may be students we are always outnumbered! There is a large TV upstairs and downstairs but the noise is always muted so it's generally nice and quiet with the only people making the npoise being the customers.

I've never had a problem with any of the staff there, they are always friendly and helpful and if you go in enough they will treat you more as a friend than a customer. It's always clean and is generally well looked after.

Overall I'd highly recommend it as a pub to drop into if you fancy an afternoon meal or a quiet pint. It's a decent pub with a frienly atmosphere with Wetherspoon's priding themselves on quality and price this certainly steps up to the mark.

02.11.2011 18:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice cheap second hand electrical goods store!

Living in rural North Wales I'd never even heard of Computer Exchange (CEX) unti I ventured out to Wrexham about 4 years ago. I'd previously bought all my DVDs from places like HMV and Woolworths and found myself forking out fortunes on DVDs which I could've got for less than half the price but still in working condition.

CEX stores are found nationwide and are a merchant kind of store that buy and sell electrical goods, mainly entertainment electricals such as DVDs, CDs, games, TVs, mobile phones, laptops and various other electricals along those lines, buying and selling them. All goods are checked thoroughly by staff and are of decent value.

As a student I live my life on a budget and cheap things are what I want! I started buying just DVDs from CEX and have since bought CDs and computer games and I've never had any problems with any of them, though I do recommend you keep the receipt just incase! Though they sell other goods such as TVs I probably wouldn't end up buying one because with expensive goods I think it's best to buy them brand new when you know they'll have a better life span. With their DVDs so cheap it's worth buying them at such a price because if they stop working after the warranty given by CEX has expired then you won't have wasted too much money.

I find their cheaper, smaller goods such as CDs and games priced fairly and are priced according to popularity, stock and quality. You may not always get a brand new looking DVD case, some may be looking tatty or a bit broken but the discs are always cleaned and in good working order.

I've never taken anything there to sell but I think if you were to want to sell something it'd be a case of having to drop all your goods off in the morning then seeing them later on in the day beacuse they always seem busy there and often look understaffed as there are often queues, but not so much lately. I've experienced this in the Wrexham store and in Southampton's store where I currently live. I would be prepared to take old DVDs etc. there to be exchanged either for other goods or for cash but I can't comment on how much they'd give you for said goods.

I'd recommend taking a look at your local CEX store, they are always big and open with plenty of room to browse and always have a good stock of films, games and other electrical goods. I've never had a bad experience with CEX and often find the staff helpful and the stores nice and tidy which is always important!

• The Human Centipede (DVD) / DVD / 17 Readings / 15 Ratings
      02.11.2011 18:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Interesting new kind of horror that isn't afraid to explore darker storylines

This is the film which introduced all movie goers to a whole new type of horror film. It was one of the films which everyone talked about when it came out and is what drew me to want to see it and find out just what exactly was so shocking. I'd never heard of Tom Six beforehand and was intrigued into what exactly all the fuss was about.

The basic plot is about a retired surgeon who specialised in seperating conjoined twins who wishes to embark on his own creations by stitching three humas together mouth to anus so that they share one digestive system, thus creating a human centipede. Director Tom Six is said to have been inspired by Nazi experimentation during the Holocaust as to why he attempted such a film.

As someone who isn't shocked easily, this is one of very few films that did make me think "Wow, never thought I'd see that happen in a film" but one thing I admire in film is when writers and directors attempt to create new things and do something that hasn't been done before which is what draws me to this film. I was more fascinated into how Dr. Heiter (Dieter Laser) would attempt such a thing. Descriptive yet simple drawings are shown to the victims just to show them what Heiter's planning to do with them and gives the viewer an idea of what exactly is going on. It's not a hard film to follow but at some points you do have to think towards the end what exactly is going on because the story just seems to fade out and ends rather quickly.

My only negative thing to say about the film is that it I found scenes lasted longer than they needed to be and there could have been more of a storyline in order to make it more appealing to viewers. I am a fan of gore etc. so I wasn't put off by some of the more explicitly gory scenes which don't appear in your average horror movie but I think those easily offended wouldn't carry on watching it.

Overall I would give this film a 4 out of 5, mainly because of it's sheer originality and the way that Tom Six has approached such a thing. There is a second film due to be released here in the UK on 4th November, with a 3rd one in the planning, but having seen the second one I can't really say how they will go about a 3rd as I can see sequels getting rather repetetive.

Human Centipede (First Sequence) is definitely worth a buy. It's available on Amazon.com for £7.39 but I would look out for it to be cheaper in shops. Second hand from any Cex shop nationwide would also be worth a look!

• Stella Artois Cidre / Beer / Cider / 19 Readings / 16 Ratings
        20.05.2011 17:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great tasting Belgian cider

Many different companies that have never ventured into making cider before seem to be getting into the market lately, and Stella Artois is one of those. I came across Stella Cidre at Tesco's for £1.39 a bottle which was the introductary price which I thought was very reasonable so I bought two bottles as I'd seen it widely advertised and had only heard good about it.

Stella Cidre is a medium strength cider at 4.5% ABV that has just been launched this year here in the UK. I've only seen it available in 568ml bottles and in a crate of 12.

What can I say about the taste? A lot better than what I first anticipiated. I thought it would be a cheap and nasty flavoured cheap cider but it's rich in flavour, you can actually taste the apples! It's taste resembles that of a sweet and sour but refreshing cider, and for us cider drinkers the best way I could describe it would be similar to Magners but slightly sourer, as if a hint of Strongbow had been added to it though I would not recommend doing that, just by Cidre and decipher the amazing taste for yourself!

If you were to serve it I mostly drank it cold from the fridge in the bottle though I did venture a bit and have a pint in a pint glass with ice and I didn't see much difference to be honest. Anything Stella made tends to taste better in a chalice glass as this may keep it fizzy and preserve the taste!

Availability wise like I said I bought it on it's introductary offer, I have seen it in off-licences since but they are asking around £2.50 a bottle, which seems reasonable but I wouldn't pay that for a single bottle. I don't think it's been round long enough to be available in pubs and clubs but I wouldn't pay any more for it than I would for a bottle of Magners. I do hope to see another introductary offer though that would be too optimistic!

I definitely recommend buying the single bottle to try it though. I ended up going back into Tesco's and buying their remaining stock because to be honest £1.39 a bottle was a steal! I never thought Belgian's could do cider but they can! Delicious stuff!

• Sagres / Beer / Cider / 21 Readings / 21 Ratings
        18.04.2011 15:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not for me but a few with a meal was alright

Of all the places in the world I could have come across Sagres lager it was in a Portuguese resteraunt in St. Helier, Jersey, mainly because they had no cider available, and though technically I was away, I thought it'd be rude not to sample the 'local' beer. The resteraunt was very authentic though, your typical foreign resteraunt in another country with all its localities and general Portuguese vibe about it.

Sagres is Portugal's most popular lager. Brewed in Lisbon, it's notorious for having a great reputation for consistant quality. The serving I had was in a 330ml bottle, though I'm unsure of any other availabilities as I haven't seen it on sale in any supermarkets or any pubs before. It is however available online at http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=4446 for £1.30 a bottle (330ml) which is a lot cheaper than the £3.50 a bottle I was paying in the resteraunt, though it's quite a typical price for imported beers that aren't as popular over in the UK.

Despite it's acclaim of great taste, I didn't really think much to it. It had a vague hint of Corona about it but nothing special, quite plain to be honest which was a shame because I was expecting more the way the waitress sold it to me, then again that's their job! I was served it in a tall half pint glass and I think it would've tasted better in a pint glass with the same measure, maybe from draught too. I know on the continent they like a lot of head on their lagers but us Brits are less enthusiastic about that and prefer to have more beer than froth, and in a pint glass there would've been less froth!

Yes I'm predominantly negatively reviewing it but on the upside I would like to try this again, maybe in Portugal and from the method I stated above. It wasn't very cold from the bottle either and I think it would've tasted better chilled. Then again this was one experience from an expensive resteraunt, I think it would be much better from a pub or bar in Portugal!

I wouldn't recommend buying it from an expensive resteraunt as I did but if you ever do go to Portugal, be sure to look out for it and try some. I'm not a lager fan myself but it could've been much worse. I will certainly look for a better bottle or pint in the future! I would not buy it here in the UK though.

• Kopparberg Pear Cider / Beer / Cider / 28 Readings / 27 Ratings
        04.04.2011 18:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great tasting

Kopparberg is something I came across shortly after finishing school while I was experimenting with drink and trying to decipher what I liked and didn't like! Pear flavoured Kopparberg was definitely something I liked!

Kopparberg is a Swedish brewery which brews both beer and cider but is more widely known for its range of fruit ciders. The brand was barely known in the UK until it's introduction in 2003. Since then it's popularity has grown and is now known nationwide.

Its Pear Cider is pretty much a standard strength for most ciders at 4.5% and is one of the alcoholic drinks I've seen that's available in so many different measures and forms. In can form I've seen it in 330ml and 500ml, with the latter mainly distributed in 4 packs and the smaller cans in a bigger volume of 6 or 12 cans. In bottle form it's mainly available in 500ml bottles and it's that form that you'll see it available in pubs and clubs nationwide. 330ml bottles are also available but I rarely see them. Personally I stick to the bigger servings of cans and bottles, you can't enjoy it as much otherwise.

Pricewise varies because of the so many different forms it's distributed in. Typicly, a 500ml bottle will sell around £2.50-£3.50 in supermarkets and off licences, with pubs and clubs being slightly more expensive at £3.00-£4.00. DOn't pay anymore than that for the typical 500ml bottle. It does go on offer fairly often, the best deal I've ever had from Tesco's is when I did my festival shopping and managed to get 8 x 500ml cans for £10 therefore I was pleased with that and stocked up!

To taste this pear cider boasts a refreshing fruity taste and that's exactly what you get. The taste of alcohol isn't so apparent as some ciders and other alcoholic drinks which makes the taste that much better. It's definitely a drink to enjoy from a pint glass with ice outside on a hot summer's day, or from the bottle inside on a cold winter's day, either way you'll enjoy it! The taste is definitely refreshing and you can really taste the pear it's just so delicious.

I woke up in my tent once during a festival the morning after drinking and my throat was so dry I searched round my tent for some water or a soft drink at least and couldn't find any, so I settled for a small can of Kopparberg Pear Cider, and to be honest despite being disgustingly warm it was very refreshing! It really does taste that could. You could mistake it for a soft drink if you hadn't had it before.

I would definitely recommend Kopparberg's Pear Cider to anyone. I have keen lager drinkers who dislike cider but love any Kopparberg, especially this flavour. The taste is just so dominant you wouldn't want to miss out and I can assure you, you won't dislike it, though do try some of your friend's one first, just to be safe. You won't be disappointed though. An excellent drink.

• Tesco Cottage Pie / Ready Meals / 13 Readings / 13 Ratings
          04.04.2011 17:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great value especially when it's on offer!

One thing I was also going to miss moving away from home is my Dad's home made cottage pie, and subsequently I needed to replace it somehow! Ready meals are the obvious answer for a student who's cooking abilities aren't too scratch therefore Tesco's standard quality cottage pie is my alternative.

Tesco's cottage pie is widely available throughout it's different types of Tesco store i.e. Express, Extra and when it's not on offer it often retails at £2.00 a pack, or quite often it works out at 3 for £5 which you can mix and match with selected other ready meals. Currently until the 14th of April, it's on offer at just £1.00 per pack which therefore is a perfect opportunity to sample it a cheap price if you haven't done so before!

Once you get to the actual meat through the layers of mashed potato it's very delicious especially if you mix it up. There used to be an equal mix of meat and potato but once VAT increased they took out a little beat of meat in order to compensate for the increase and be able to still sell the ready meal for £2.00, therefore in my opinion they've somewhat made it worse, but while it's on offer at £1.00 per pack, it's definitely worth every penny! The meat and potato are of expected quality, yes it tastes better homemade but for a ready meal this isn't bad at all, especially as I always microwave it. As a student I don't quite have the patience to cook it in the oven, I want it there and then!

The packaging can be somewhat misleading as it shows a fair amount of meat in the actual pie but you'll be disappointed after cooking it to find somewhat less meat than you might expect, but it's probably for the reasons above, so blame the government, not Tesco's! As is compulsary with most Tesco products it has a daily guideline on the packaging outlining how much fat and salt etc. the cottage pie contains.

Overall I would certainly recommend this to anyone, especially while it's on offer at such a cheap price. Definitely worth a buy. For something that I often microwave it does come out very well and smells so gorgeous when you pull away the film lid. Obviously it's very hot when you open it but let it cool or if you can be as impatient with me as food keep blowing it to enjoy the delicious taste!

28.03.2011 19:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

The saviour of greasy hair

Experience from previous time at festivals have proven to me that the longer your hair is and the longer you go without washing it you are in or a greasy hairdo and a half. My hair isn't long long, but it's fairly long and I do like to wash it every 1-2 days just so it doesn't go completely haywire. I first came across this specific brand of dry shampoo, Batiste's Original, at a 5 day festival in 2009, though I had washed my hair at a leisure centre 2 days earlier therefore it wasn't as bad as it could have been and I just needed a top-up as it was the penultimate day. My next festival would be a 6 day one in 2010 and I knew I'd need some dry shampoo as my hair had kind of grown!

My last purchase came from a Savers store outlet in Southampton and at a mere £1 it was cheaper than my previous purchase from Wilkinson stores. I buy the original because I don't really need my hair to smell, just more volume and less grease! It's available in most stores such as Boots and Superdrug as well, but I expect you'd pay more at those, so buy it from the cheaper outlets and certainly don't pay more than £1.50 a can.

Batiste Original Dry Shampoo is mainly distributed in 150ml cans weighing 90g, working out at 5.05 fl.oz. It's available in smaller cans but they are literally a few sprays and they work out costlier. Like most forms of spray and aerosol it's extremely flammable and advises you against solvent abuse! Keep them stored with your other sprays and it will be as safe as anything. I acknowledge that the packaging is plastered with safety notices but all in all if you use common sense it's completely harmless. It's caption is "A girl's best friend for decades" but I can assure you it works for the male market as well, short or long hair!

Dry shampoo was my saviour during my 3 festival marathon last year, along with wet wipes! The dry shampoo was much more appreciated though. It's so easy to use, just literally spray it all over your hair and make sure it's all rubbed in, and you get the same feel to the head and to hand as if it has just been washed it's that simple yet effective. I have gone through a couple of cans at University as well because it's handy if you get up early and have no time to shower, and your hairs a bit greasy from the night before, it's handy just to top-up before you go. It's a very handy and clever little invention.

The only downside to using this dry shampoo is you have to make sure you rub it in thoroughly and try and evenly distribute it throughout your hair, beacuse if you end up doing the same areas each time and missing a few bits out, you end up with smooth hair with volume on top and then greasy roots and it feels disgusting after 5 days, take it from experience!

I'd highly recommend this to anyone in all areas to be honest, be it if you're camping, backpacking, or just have very little time in the morning. Dry shampoo is a great way just to freshen up your hair if you're short for words. I recommend Batiste's version in particular because it's so cheap at a £1 and it works so well if you use it properly. It works for all sizes of hair and I think it can appeal to both sexes. Get some!

• Corona Extra / Beer / Cider / 15 Readings / 15 Ratings
              27.03.2011 23:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

Mexico's greatest export!

Those who read my reviews on alcoholic products will understand I'm not a big fan of lagers and beers in particular, but there are a select few I really do like. I first came across Corona at a house party and I'd see it at others every now and again. It seemed a nice little drink and I thought it'd be like Budweiser or something like that, but when I finally got round to trying it I was pleasantly surprised.

Corona Extra is a light beer that's brewed in Mexico and distributed all over the world. Measuring at 4.6% volume, it's a mild strength or a beer. It's Mexico's biggest exported beer and is widely available in 330ml bottles, mostly in packs of 6. Your typical deal from any supermarket and off-licence will be around £7-£8, with the occasional exemption of a deal. I have seen 12 bottles available for £10 in my local Tesco and that was only a week long offer, so if you do see it on offer, take it while you can!

I am proud of Mexico for producing a beer I genuinely like. It may be considered a lager to some but I've always seen it as a light beer (to vouch of my general hatred for lagers!). It has a refreshing taste to it, and my best serving suggestion to you would be to drink it with a slice of lime in the neck of the bottle, it really does add to the beautiful taste. It doesn't smell particularly interesting and the taste is definitely it's selling point. It has an essence of your typical lager but it's just so light and not as gassy that it goes down much nicer. I don't recommend pouring this into a glass and then drinking it, Corona is designed to be drank from a bottle for a reason! It truly is refreshing, especially after a hectic 5 hour shift at work. It's one of those drinks you can also enjoy outside in the sun on a warm summer's day. Like most beers, it's best served cold.

I would highly recommend this to any of you skeptic cider drinkers out there who were once like me and completely ignorant to anything that wasn't fermented with apples. This mixture of Mexican genious is probably the crossover between the best pint of cider and a decent cocktail it truly is delicious. Get out and try some!

27.03.2011 22:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Useful, practical rucksack

I've had a long association with buying products from Gelert, from footwear to sleeping bags, clothing to pen knives. This loyalty dates back since I can remember and I will continue to by all my outdoor and even everyday usage items from there, rucksacks being no exception. This rucksack in question, 'Gelert Raddisson 30 Rucksack' to give it it's full name is about the third one I've had from them since school, and that's going back about 10, 11 years now. They've always been good quality and usually my reasoning for replacing them is because they either become tatty or a zip breaks, but this is after extensive use.

The rucksack in question is your standard definition of a rucksack or backpack or whatever you call it. 2 large compartments, one bigger than the other, 2 smaller ones at the bottom at the front, with another small compartment on the top. It has a pocket inside to keep your music player in as well as a watertight slot to feed your headphones through so you could be walking and listening to music in the pouring rain quite happily. The compartments aren't entirely waterproof but it does take a lot of water to leak through. To be on the safeside I recommend putting everything valuable or that can be damaged wrapped in a plastic bag before hand. Hence in the name, it has a capacity of 30litres which is pretty decent for its size.

I like many aspects of this rucksack, I mean it's only a rucksack but I rarely go out without it. I don't travel light as such but I tend to be overprepared, and this one in particular is extremely comfortable to carry whether you have a heavy or light load in it. The way you pack it influences comfort also but that's a case of common sense unless you want something poking into you spine. It's useful for camping or visiting friends or just staying over anywhere really because my sleeping bag (also by Gelert) can easily be strapped onto the rucksack. It's not designed for compatibility, but there are so much loose bits of chord and straps its just a case of wrapping it round and clipping it together. Very handy for festivals especially when you're travelling with a load of other things. You also don't forget to leave the sleeping bag on the train as I've done before. Ahem. Air circulates the bag quite well as it's made with breathable material therefore I rarely end up having to clean the bag out because of a smell. The main contribution to comfort on the rucksack is the padding on the back which is shaped to relieve pressure from your back enabling more ease at notable pressure points, such as shoulder and lower back.

This rucksack is available in any Gelert outlet store but that's restricted to a small corner of the UK in the form of North West Wales which isn't exactly practical for the rest of the UK. It's available online and although I'm still not 100% sure if they sell online directly rom the website but you'd be redirected to a website thay may enable you to do this. Mine cost me as little as £19.99 over 2 years ago now and I expect it to last a lot longer. Previous rucksacks I've bought rom Gelert at around that price have lasted me at least 5 years. I expect this one to last as long despite its prolonged usage. It's incredibely £22.99 online, though I did buy it on sale in store, and I'm guessing it's prolonged popularity is the reason behind its price increase, but it's definitely worth a buy.

I'd recommend this rucksack to anyone who likes to take a lot with them and is searching for something to carry them in comfortably and practically. It's a great buy which will last me a long time and as always with Gelert products I expect it to last for a few years to come. Many people in the UK visit Snowdonia every year, so if you're in the area I recommend you take a look in one of the 3 Gelert outlet stores, and look out for this rucksack in particular! Very satisfied with this.

• Luxardo Raspberry Sambuca / Spirits / 22 Readings / 20 Ratings
                27.03.2011 21:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

The best Sambuca in the World!

From hatred of the stuff when I first started drinking, love of sambuca came with age and as I began to love it more and more. As this love continued I began to explore the vast and endless possibilites of different flavours of sambuca, spurred on by Luxardo. To be honest what made me by a bottle of Luxardo Raspberry Sambuca for the first time was the aesthetic value, it looked really pretty being pink from a guy's eye, and I think that's what drew me in.

Raspberry is one of the many flavours available rom Italian liquer company Luxardo. Pink in colour, it is mainly distributed in 700ml bottles (UK) and is quite strong at 38% in volume. 50ml servings are available in smaller bottles but I rarely see them around. Availibility wise it's stocked in most of the big supermarkets (Tesco and ASDA for example) and is available from several off-licences. I've seen it round parts of Southern England and back hoome in Wales so it's widely distributed. Bottles vary in price wherever you go, but £16-18 is a decent price. Don't pay anymore unless you're really want some!

Many people have a love-hate relationship with sambuca, but I've managed to turn sambuca haters into raspberry sambuca lovers. If you are served a shot of raspberry sambuca, immediately the familiar sambuca smell gets to most people, with a hint of raspberry, but in the taste you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's rich in raspberry and the initial strength will get to you like most sambucas, but the aftertaste in your mouth and throat afterwards is absolutely delicious if somewhat soothing. Any raspberry fan will enjoy this drink I think! It's so tasty I can't speak high enough of it.

My serving recommendations to you are quite bland. I wouldn't serve it with any mixers as it diminishes the taste. It's best served in shot form, on the rocks, and can be used in several cocktails. The best way to enjoy this raspberry sambuca though is from a shot glass with a group of friends and stun them on how tasty it is and how indifferent to normal sambuca it is.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone, and have, and will continue to do so. It has that unique taste that Luxardo gives in any of its sambucas that no other rival of its can live up to. It's pink in colour makes it more aestheticly pleasing to my female friends who hate normal sambuca and I've managed to turn them to the right side. I really like sambuca, but I REALLY REALLY LOVE Raspberry Sambuca. Only buy Luxardo's brand though, none of the other's are as good as this one.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7