ally_kats_mama

• Comments

Member since: 12.07.2010

18.07.2012 22:34

Disadvantages

We have been using Sudocrem since my daughter was born 6 years ago and it is still a regular in our house even now. In fact, I would actually say that this is a staple in our house rather than a regular. We first encountered Sudocrem in the Bounty packs you get when you are pregnant or the one you get when you have given birth. There was a tiny little sample pot of Sudocrem in there and we have never looked back since using it. Now, I should say what Sudocrem actually is. Sudocrem is a antiseptic cream which can be used for nappy rash, eczema, bed sores, sunburn and minor cuts and burns - I have also used it when I have suffered from thrush and it has worked very effectively. It is a barrier cream which helps to heal the problems I stated above. Sudocrem comes in three different sizes which are 60g, 250g and 400g. This isn't the cheapest product on the marker but personally I would never use anything else. It is priced between £2-£6 depending on which size you choose to buy. It is available almost everywhere which sells baby care items. It comes in a boring looking grey pot which has a strip around the lid which you peel off to open it. There is a red and white Sudocrem label wrapped around the pot with instructions on how to use and ingredients. The actual product is a white cream. It is very thick and gives off a lavender smell which is really nice. It isn't at all greasy. It is easy to apply and it spreads across a child's bottom and affected areas easily. Sudocrem is ideal for nappy rash because is contains emoliant which soothes sore and inflammed skin as well as being a mild anaesthetic for the soreness. On top of that it repells water so if you put it on your child and then replace their nappy and they soil their nappy with urine or faeces the Sudocrem will stop them coming into contact with the skin and causing further irritation. The cream is really easy to apply, it is just a case of scooping out some of the cream and applying it to the area that needs it. It absorbs into the skin quickly and easily. Sudocrem always worked wonders on my little girl's nappy rash. She only ever suffered from minor bouts of it but it always seemed to clear up within 24 hours of being applied. We used to apply it at every nappy change when she suffered from it. Sometimes we would use it as a preventative measure and apply it even when she didn't have any nappy rash. Now she is 6 we still have it in the house just in case we ever need it. Sometimes she will come up in a rash on her cheeks in the winter and we always put Sudocrem on it when it comes up as it clears it up quickly. My husband actually burnt his arm on the oven the other day and he put some on it and it dried it up really nicely and he said it took the sting of the burn right out of it. I have also used it when I have had thrush and it has stopped the itching and again cleared it up quicker than if I had used my usual cream. It also works great on spots! When I have not had any Lush available in the house, I have dabbed a little Sudocrem on and they have dried up instantly and the redness almost automatically goes down. I find that a 250g pot lasts about a year which is fine as the product has a long shelf life. Highly recommended. I cannot fault this product at all. It is like a little tub of magic which works on many common skin complaints.

18.07.2012 21:37

Disadvantages

I am the first to admit that I am a complete and utter baby when I have a sore throat. I hate it. I can cope with anything else but if my throat goes it is best to just avoid or ignore me until it is better! Whenever I come down with the dreaded sore throat, I always make sure I have a multitude of medicines around me. One of those are these Halls throat lozenges. Halls lozenges come in many different flavours - blackcurrent, original, extra strong, menthol and a few more which I cannot remember. Personally I always go for the original flavour as the extra strong really feels like it is tearing my throat out because it is so strong! The original ones come in a blue foil packet which is rectangular in shape. It has the "Halls" logo in big lettering down the middle and the ingredients on the back. The pack is small enough to fit into your pocket or bag and contains around 10 - 15 lozenges with each one being individually wrapped in white Halls paper. You can buy these in any chemist or major supermarket and they cost between 45p-60p a pack which isn't too bad. At the moment they are on offer in Superdrug for 2 for 70p. You should not suck/eat more than 2 packs a day - I think two packs is a little too may to have personally and I try to limit myself to less than a pack. The lozenges themselves are square and these ones in particular are clear in colour. They are boiled sweets and you should suck them rather than crunch them up when you put them in your mouth. Crunching them will not have the desired effect to help soothe your sore throat. These are not suitable for small children. When you suck on one of these lozenges, the vapours and menthol are released whic are what soothe your throat and ease the pain. Depending on how bad your throat is will determine how much these lozenges soothe it. If your throat is only a little bit sore then it tend to completely get rid of it for a while. But these are not a cure for the pain, they are just for some fast and temporary relief. I always find the lozenges work for me and do temporarily get rid of the pain I am feeling in my throat. I also find if my nose is bunged up the vapours clear my nose a little bit and allow me to breathe. I highly recommend them. They work well and do what they say they will do. The only down side to them is the indivdual wrapping can be a bit of a pain as it sometimes sticks to the lozenge and you have to sit for ages picking it off or end up eating it!

18.07.2012 12:10

Disadvantages

Our medicine cabinet/cupboard is jam packed with stuff for when we have colds and flu. The last thing you feel like doing when you are not well is traipsing out to the shops to pick something up to take the edge off of it so I always make sure we have stuff available. We have a box of Beechams Hot Lemon Cold & Flu sachets in our cupboard. There are ten sachets in a pack and each sachet is enough for one cup. The sachets come in little square cardboard box which is bright yellow and royal blue in colour. It has te Beechams name across the top and cold and flu just underneath with a list stating what it can be used for. It also has a picture of a jug of hot lemon and honey which gives the idea that this is a really soothing and comforting mixture. Beechams cold and flu says it tackles blocked nose, headache, fever, sore throat pain, aches and pains. The sachets can be purchased in all major supermarkets and chemists. They usually cost between £2.50 and £3.00 depending on where you go. Ingredients wise, Beechams Cold and Flu contains the following: paracetamol, phenylephrine and vitimin C. As this product contains paracetamol, you are not supposed to take any other paracetamol based products in case of overdose. Beechams Cold & Flu mixture is easy to make and use. You simply empty the sachet of powder into a mug and pour boiling water into it and stir. It creates a really strong honey and lemon scent and it is really comforting when you feel unwell. Personally I add sugar to mine to sweeten it up as it is a little bit too bitter for me otherwise but it is down to the individual how they want it. I always find this product to be really soothing. I only ever take it when I have a really heavy cold or the flu. You know those horrible colds/flu when you feel like you cannot even drink. That is when these come out for me. I find that the drink really soothes my throat and it eases aches and pains especially that achey feeling you get in your legs when you are really poorly. If I am taking one of these, I always drink it first thing in the morning as I always feel worse when I have just woken up. I find it eases my symptoms and allows me to feel a bit more human for a couple of hours. The effects do wear off and I never drink anymore than two in a day. The last time I had a really bad case of flu, it had cleared up in a couplle of days and I do think it is was because I was drinking this product. I highly recommend this product.

18.07.2012 11:19

Disadvantages

For as long as I can remember my family have used Venos for chesty and tickly coughs. I can remember from being a little girl the box being in the top of the cupboard for when we would need it and my Mum still swears by it today. I always make sure we have some in the cupboard too so Venos is something that is ingrained in me! Venos comes in two different types - one being this Chesty Coughs version and the other is the honey and lemon tickly coughs version. I have used both in my life and at the moment it is the chesty coughs version that is in our cupboard. The chesty coughs version is an orange box and it has "Venos" written in bold white font at the top on a blue background and the bottom says "Chesty Coughs" and an outline of a person on an orange background. The bottles comes in 100ml and come with a cap to take and measure the medicine with. Venos is available in all major supermarkets and chemists. I have also noticed that a few of my corner shops are selling it as well so it is a readily available, over the counter medicine. The costs varies between £3-4. Venos does not use any sedatives in it which means you can still drive and work or just go about your daily routine. Ingredients Venos does use are: liquid glucose, guaifenesin, treacle and sugar. Venos is a liquid so is very easy to take and swallow. With this one I would recommend having a drink nearby as it isn't a particularly nice tasting medicine! I had a chesty cough last week which just came out of nowhere and it was slightly sore too. It was nothing to bother the Drs about so I pulled out our bottle of Venos. I take 10ml at a time and take it 3 times a day. Now this particular Venos tastes awful - it tastes bitter and is just really disgusting. I much prefer the taste of the honey and lemon one but that one just doesn't work on chesty coughs. When you swallow this one, you can feel it running through you, it is a really strange feeling but it is such a sharp feeling as it goes down. It almost makes your chest feel cold! It also soothes your throat if your throat is a little bit sore. It takes the edge of the pain of a sore throat for a about half an hour which is always a nice relief as we all know sore throats are just horrible. I always find after a couple of days Venos does help to clear my chesty coughs up - it definately did last week. It doesn't get rid of it entirely but it does ease it off and turns it into a small every now and then cough. Venos for me does relieve the soreness a chesty cough can create. As I said previously, my family has been using it for years and swear by it. I definately recommend it.

• Kalms / Health Treatment / 14 Readings / 12 Ratings
      18.07.2012 10:46

Disadvantages

Kalms are a natural, herbal remedy which is supposed to ease worry, states of panic and irritability. The tablets are supposed to encourage a settled sleep which will rid the user of tiredness and lethargicness which causes the worry and panic. Kalms are perfect for someone who does not like to take prescription medicine and would prefer a more natural approach. I personally do not like to take anything at all but if the circumstances call for it then I will. I went through a stage of constantly worrying last year and I desperately did not want to use prescribed anxiety pills so my mother in law suggested I try Kalms. Kalms come in a fair sized box which is an ocean blue in colour - I suppose this is to reinforce the idea of calmness and tranquility. It has the brand name across the top and a picture of a blue ball in what I think looks like water. It also states it is a natural remedy made from plants. Inside the box is a leaflet telling you how to use and any side effects etc. A bit like what you would get with antibiotics or paracetamol. Kalms are little round, glossy white tablets and you get approximately 200 in a jar. The tablets come in a little glass jar with a large white lid and the Kalms label wrapped around them. The jar isn't small enough to carry around in your pocket. It is quite bulky so if you wanted to take some tablets out with you, you would have to dispense them into a different container. Ingredient wise they contain: hops powder, extract of gentian, extract of valerian and sucrose and can be taken from 12 years of age. Kalms can be purchaed in Boots, Superdrug and most chemists. I do not think I have ever seen them in supermarkets but I may be wrong. A box cost me just over £7.00 which is alot but there are more than enough tablets to make it worth the money. I was a little unsure if these would work. My mother in law is very much homepathic in terms of medicine but given that they are natural, I didn't think it would hurt to try them as they wouldn't hurt me. You can take up to 6 of these tablets a day but I never took that many. I took 2 a day when I was at my highest state of panic. I found the tablets very easy to swallow. It is just like swallowing a Smartie. I didn't find the Kalms worked instantly. It took about half an hour for me to notice a change in my state of mind. I did feel myself relax and I felt a little calmer. The Kalms definately took the edge off of my panic. As I was panicking so much, I found I wasn't sleeping very well so the same day I took another two before bed and found myself to sleep right through without waking up which I do think was down to the Kalms. Luckily for me, my worries got better and I found I haven't had to use the Kalms in a while but I really believe they helped me and I have a jar in the cupboard just in case we ever need them. They definately helped me relax and it was nice to know I did have a little help from something which was completely natural. I wouldn't say these are the most amazing tablets in the world but they do take the edge off when you are worrying etc and they do help you to sleep. I would definately recommend a person to try them if they do not want to go down medically prescribed drugs routes.

• Lush Angels On Bare Skin / Skin Care / 20 Readings / 19 Ratings
      16.07.2012 15:31

Disadvantages

Lush's skin care range is very extensive and there is something for everyone no matter the skin type. In my time as a Lush customer, I have tried pretty much everything. After I had my daughter, my skin took on an oily look. Having never suffered from oily skin before, I knew it was something I wanted to sort out so I took a trip to my local Lush and asked them for their opinion. without any hestitation I was recommend Angel's On Bare Skin. It comes in a 100g black pot which if you wash out when finished with it and have five black pots altogether you can return them to Lush for a free Fresh Face Mask. The black pot has the Lush label on it, the name of the product and how to use it. It costs £6.25 for a pot which some people may see as alot of money but this stuff is absolutely worth every penny. The product is a solid product - in the same was as Herbalism and to use it you have to pinch a little bit out of the pot and then mix with water and gently apply to your face and then rinse with warm water. The product is a beige/grey colour in appearance and has little bits of ground almond running through it. Ingredients wise the product uses Almond milk as it has been said throughtout the centuries that it is a toning and brightening ingredient. It is then mixed wth kaolin, to absorb grease and gently cleanse, vegetable glycerine to soften and moisturise the skin and a blend of essential oils, chosen for their abilities to balance and tone the skin. The final ingreident is a sprinkle of lavender flowers. Angels on Bare Skin is made from 100 percent natural ingredients. The first thing I noticed when I opened the pot was the lovely smell of lavender drifting out of it. It is a nice balance - it isn't too strong but not so subtle you cannot notice it. It was easy to mix with the water - do not use too much water when mixing as it will go too runny, it needs to be a paste consistancy. I applied it to my skin in a gentle circular motion, making sure I covered my face with it. I left it for a couple of minutes to absorb into my skin and then gently removed it with warm water. My skin instantly felt better. The oilyness of my skin had disappeared and my skin was left feeling soft and smooth. I continued to use Angels on Bare Skin for the few weeks my skin was in an oily state and each time it absorbed the moisture from my skin and left it feeling lovely and light. Not heavy like skin tends to when it is oily. I should also say that Angels On Bare Skin is also great for spots and taking the redness down. I occassionally swtich to Angel's On Bare Skin now when I have spots to take them down and it works very well. I find this to be an excellent cleanser and it really worked for my skin. Highly recommened.

• Lush Celebrate Lip Tint / Lip Care / 12 Readings / 12 Ratings
      03.07.2012 15:12

Disadvantages

as I have said in previous reviews, Lush at Christmas is one of my favourite times of year. I become very excited at the prospect of new products even though they are only available for the Christmas period. They always release bubble bars, ballistics, new gifts, scrubs and the like. This year they also included lip tints in the range and it is one of them which I will be reviewing for you. One of the lip tints Lush released for Christmas 2011 was the "Celebrate" lip tint (the other two were Snow Fairy and Chilli Tingle). The "Celebrate" lip tint came in the usual 10g silver twist tin all of Lush's lip tints come in. They are really handy and easy to just slip into your bag, especially if you have a small bag and cannot fit a whole make up bag in. They are small enough to even fit into your pocket if need be but I would be careful with doing this as the lip tint is made up of wax and body heat will melt it down! All you want is a big grease stain on your pocket! On the top of the tin is a sticker saying what the product is and with the Lush logo just above it. On the base of the tin is another sticker with a best before date and all the ingredients used in the product. When you open the tin you are greeted with a circular piece of wax which is held into the tin. The wax is coloured a dusky pink - it is very pretty. It is also scented with the Champagne Snow Showers scent which is an alcoholic scent smelling citrussy with its cognac and lemon. It is very much like Bucks Fizz. Rather than Christmas though, the scent actually reminds me of New Year. It makes me think of parties and drink and just having lots of fun, awaiting the New Year. There is a light dusting of gold popping candy over the lip tint. It is supposed to make your lips tingle. It looks very pretty in the tin but it doesn't really do much else apart from pop on your lips. I like that popping sensation though so I wouldn't want Lush to change it! The ingredients included in this product are: almond oil, japan wax, icing sugar, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, lemon oil, grapefruit oil and cognac. The ingredients used are supposed to help moisturise the lips and also act as a barrier between your lips and the cold, harsh winter weather. The lip tint is easy to apply, you just rub your finger in a circular motion on the wax and then apply it to your lips. It leaves a very light dusky pink sheen on your lips but it is very light. My lips did look quite glossy and I found it lasted for a good 2-3 hours before I had to reapply. It left my lips feeling soft and supple and it did protect them from the cold wind. I put some of this on when we went to Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park Corner last year and it really stopped my lips becoming chapped from the cold. This is an excellent product though a little on the expensive side at £4.95. I know most people would rather just buy a tin of Vaseline for £1.25 but this little 10g pot really lasted me a good while (at least two months) and it smelled fabulous too.

03.07.2012 12:28

Disadvantages

My husband and I are sports fanatics - our favourite sports being football and golf. For my husband's birthday I purchased him this set of Manchester United Nike Golf PD7 Soft Champions League Edition Golf Balls. These were a limited edition set to commerate the Champions League. I found them in the Nike Store and they cost me £20.00. There are six balls to a pack and they came in lovely packaging. They come in a rectangular, sturdy gift box. The majority of the box is black in colour. There is a wide red strip with a small white Nike swoosh at the very top. Next to that is a thin yellow strip and then finally is a large Manchester United crest. On the sides of the box is a smaller Manchester United crest and a smaller Nike Swoosh on the sides. The box is really nice and very attractive looking. I still wrapped them up but you could easily just give them the way they are as the box does not give any inclination as to what is inside. When you lift the lid off of the box there are six golfballs nestled neatly inside. They are official Manchester United and Nike products. The balls are really nice. They have the Manchester United crest on them as well as a Nike swoosh and the NDX Heat logo. They are easily recognisable and personal to the person using them so easy to find on the golf course! These balls are recommended for golfers with a mid-high range handicap. The balls weigh the same as regular golf balls and have the same pitted design. My husband and I used the golf balls on our local golf course and we were both really impressed with them. We found that they moved along the greens and the fairways with ease. When taking teeing off, we found that the ball travelled alot further than the regular Callaway balls we usually use when in the air. We found on average we were getting an extra 5-10ft out of them which is alot (especially when you are a girl!). Also once the balls hit the fairway, we found they glided rather than rolled and because the the balls are so smooth and glossy they travelled really well, taking us closer to the green than we had experience before with the Callaways. We were really very impressed by them. The balls have become our regular balls since I purchased them for my husband and I am pleased with how they have lasted. The logos and crests are still intact and not showing any signs of wear despite being hit quite hard when in the middle of rounds of golf. They are excellent quality and real value for money. I am unsure if these balls are available with other football club crests on them but these are fabulous if you are a Manchester United and golf fan. The balls have been designed really well and they are an absolute pleasure to use. We will always use Nike golf balls from now on as they have really improved both mine and my husband's games.

03.07.2012 11:47

Disadvantages

Without a doubt, the Chamions League is one of the biggest competitions in football. It is a huge deal in our house with all of us being avid Manchester United supporters. We always go all out for the final if they make it with flags, confetti - it is amazing! When the Champions League starts up Adidas will bring out a new ball for the competition and replicas are readily available in sports shops. I think every football fan looks forward to seeing the new design of the Champions League ball each year, I know both my husband and I do. The ball I am reviewing is the Champions League 2010 Final ball. This ball is very attractive. It has a glossy finish and is covered in metallic blue stars which are each joined together. The ball has the Adidas logo and also "Finale" on it. It also boasts the Champions League logo making this the official ball for 2010. The Champions League ball replica in 2010 was available in two sizes. And it cost us £14.99 from Argos. It came deflated so we had to pump it up ourselves which is easy enough with a football pump. We only ever use a hand pump to pump up balls as we found that when we used an electrical pump on a different ball it really stretched it too tight and eventually it ruined the ball. I believe an electic pump just causes a little bit too much pressure. This ball was lovely when inflated. It was lovely and glossy and very slick which meant it glided across the grass with ease. However, this ball has probably been the least durable of our footballs. After just a couple of months of only using it in the back garden, the design started to flake off and crack, the ball would easily deflate and by the end of the summer it looked as though it has been in use for a good few years rather than a few months. Quality wise this replica ball was very disappointing. Adidas balls and Nike balls are worlds apart and Adidas in my opinion need to play catch up in the quality stakes as this ball just did not live up to what it should have been like The ball was average weight and my husband found it easy to do tricks with and he said it moved easily through the air and crossed very well. Regardless of the ball being asthetically pleasing and being technically quite good, the quality of it really let it down.

• Nike T90 Pitch Football / Ball Sport / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      03.07.2012 10:59

Disadvantages

If you go into our shed you will find a basket full of footballs. Literally a big washing basket full of them! Some of them are our daughter's character ones but alot of them are my husband's collection of "proper" footballs which we use when we are having a competative match between the three of us. One of the balls is the Nike T90 which I purchased for my husband about two and a bit years ago now. I managed to pick it up quite cheaply in a summer sale at Sports Direct on Oxford Street, London. I think it was £9.99 at the time. The design is quite fancy and has a professional look to it. The main feature of the ball is the Nike swoosh which is in the centre of a black and red ring. It also has a grey detail on the panels. The mian body of the ball is white and it is really glossy. The whole look of the T90 is quite a futuristic look and is very attractive. The inside of the ball is made from reinforced rubber to prevent the ball from deflating easily or bursting which is a great addition to the ball. The panels of the ball are all stitched together which I expect from a football made by Nike. The panels are also made from leather which is very durable and long lasting. It looks well made when you look at it. I personally find the T90 to feel heavier than the official PL footballs. My husband also noticed it when using it. He did mention that it affects the curl of the ball because it is that little bit too weighty but that was his only complaint. We have used this ball a fair bit over the last two years and it has lasted well. Some of the leather has flaked off in places now but after two years of being kicked around (quite powerfully from my husband!) I think it has really stood the test of time and was well worth its £9.99 price tag. We have used it on both concrete and grass surfaces and it has been fine. The ball was definately worth £9.99 - it has proved to be long lasting and durable. Seeing as it was purchased two and a half years ago there is no doubt you can buy a better ball now but if you ever see this really cheap anywhere and you just want it for a kick about, it will still be worth the money as even after two and half years there is plenty of life still in it.

02.07.2012 20:44

Disadvantages

I like hot chocolate. It is the one hot drink which really gets me through the winter months. I cannot drink it in the summer as it just feels wrong but there really is nothing like that feeling of coming in from outside when it is bitter cold and making yourself a nice hot mug of hot chocolate. Supermarkets have jars and jars of different brands of hot chocolate but the one brand I always reach for is Options. Options is fantastic. You can buy a jar of your favourite flavour or you can buy slim little sachets (11g) and stock up on a multitude of flavours. Options gives you exactly that - options. There are loads of flavours to choose from in the range - Belgian Hot Choc, Mint Choc, White Choc, Toffee (my absolute favourite!), Choc Orange, Banoffee and more. These are always on offer in supermarkets - usually 4 for £1 or you can buy one for around 35p. I always stock up in the winter as they are so easy to store and very convenient as they do not take up alot of room in the cupboard. These sachets are easy to use and my way of doing it is to pour some milk into a mug, pour the sachet in and stir. I then put the mug in the microwave for 1 minute. Once the minute is up, I take it out and stir again and put it back in for another minute. Once the microwave has beeped the drink is ready to go. It is absolutely perfect. You do not have to add milk, you can just make it with boiling water but I think it tastes awful that way! I like thick chocolatey goodness! The hot chocolate tastes absolutely beautiful. It is smooth and very flavoursome. Especially the mint and toffee ones. The toffee one is my absolutely favourite. It is thick and creamy and just so very yummy that words cannot describe it! Options are the lighter way to enjoy hot chocolate as they are only 40 calories a sachet though obviously the milk will add a little bit more to this. I love the Options hot chocolate sachets. I think they are convenient, easy to stock up on and taste fantastic. For me they are the best hot drinks on the market at the moment and they are so very cheap.

• Lucozade Energy / Soft Drink / 15 Readings / 15 Ratings
      02.07.2012 18:07

Disadvantages

Lucozade has been around for a long time. It is a drink I have on occassion. I do not have it too regularly as I don't like to drink too much of an energy drink but it is a very tasty drink. It comes in a 500ml bottle which is a tall and shapely bottle. It is almost hourglass in appearance and it makes it very easy and comfortable to hold. Depending on the flavour of the Lucozade you have chosen will determine the colour of the label. If you have purchased the Original flavour then it will red/yellow/orange label with LUCOZADE in its type face on the bottle. The rest of the bottle will be clear plastic so you can see the sun coloured drink inside. It has a screw top lid for ease when you are out and about. You can easily drink some and just stick it back in your bag. A bottle of Lucozade usually retails for £1.00-£1.50 depending on where you are purchasing it from. Lucozade is available in many flavours. There is Original, Lemon, Summer Fruits, Apple, Cola, Orange, Cherry, Tropical Fruits and more. My personal favourites are the cherry and lemon. I find the lemon flavour very refreshing. All of them taste really nice and the taste is strong and long lasting. It feels nice and smooth as you drink. The drink is very fizzy and when you first unscrew the bottle it lets off a mist of fizz! I like the fact that it is fizzy but this also tells me that there is a fair bit of sugar and the like in Lucozade which doesn't make it great as part of a regular diet. I drink Lucozade the most when I have been ill with a cold. I always find myself zapped of energy so I always reach for a bottle of it to pick me up and kick start my energy levels again. Most people drink Lucozade after playing sports or doing a work out Lucozade is not recommended for children as it is an energy drink and will cause them to be hyperactive. I am unsure if there are any other side effects to this. It is also not to be used to rehydrate youself after sickness bugs. Lucozade is the best energy drink out there in my opinion - I personally cannot even have a can of Red Bull near me without wanting to be sick! It has been around for a long time and has retained its popularity. It is a nice drink but not one for a regular basis.

• Nike Golf 62 Windproof Umbrella / Golf / 9 Readings / 8 Ratings
      02.07.2012 17:38

Disadvantages

Every umbrella I have ever purchased just has not been big enough. Umbrellas made for ladies just always come up too dainty. I think half the time they are made for style rather than for actually keeping you dry! I have plenty of fold up umbrellas and none of them are good enough. And they also tend to be so flimsy. One gust of wind and the spokes usually break or the whole thing turns inside out. It was with this that I decided to buy an umbrella I knew would be big enough - a golf umbrella. I decided to go to the Nike Store on Oxford Street, London to get a golf umbrella as I know from past experience of shopping there that they have a very extensive golf range plus I really like the Nike brand. The umbrella I purchased is exactly the same as the one pictured aside from it having a Nike Swoosh on the other side as well. It is black and a carbon type colour and then black again in that pattern. It has a long black handle with a rubber grip for ease and comfort. When I picked the umbrella up in the store, I was surprised by how lightweight it was. I expected a golf umbrella to be really heavy but this one is surprisingly light which is an added bonus! I didn't open the umbrella in store as I feel it is bad luck but they did have one on display and it looked huge and exactly what I was looking for. I was told by the staff in the Nike Store that this particular umbrella was windproof and they could guarantee that it would not blow inside out. They told me that it is used on the toughest and windiest golf courses for that exact reason. The first time I used this umbrella was a couple of weeks after purchase - it was awful weather - cold, windy and loads of rain. So out came my new Nike umbrella for the afternoon when I was picking up my daughter from school in the worst weather conditions to be out in! I was even more surprised by the size of the umbrella when I opened it up. It covered me completely and was like a dome around me. The wind wasn't hitting me, the rain wasn't touching me - it was absolutely perfect. It also never budged once in the wind. The wind was really howling across but the umbrella really withstood it. I suddenly understood how the staff in the Nike Store could guarantee that this would not succumb to windy weather. The rubber grip around the handle is really comfortable when holding it. It has grooves in the rubber for each of your fingers and it is really soft and just comfortable - a massive improvement on a wooden handle! The size of the umbrella is absolutely fantastic - both my daughter and I fit under it perfectly without any problems and neither of us get wet. The rain just run off of the umbrella with ease. It is a great umbrella and a great buy. The umbrella cost me £29.99 in the Nike Store which may seem a little expensive but seeing how much I have spent on umbrellas that are just not good enough or break easily over the last couple of years I think this one will be worth it. I think it will be long lasting and also, you are paying for a brand name. The quality of the umbrella speaks for itself and I am more than happy with the price I paid for it as now I no longer get wet!

• Apple iPhone 4 16 GB / Smartphone / 17 Readings / 14 Ratings
      01.07.2012 22:44

Disadvantages

The minute I saw the iPhone 3G being used on One Tree Hill, I wanted one. I eventually got the iPhone 3G but by that time it wasn't long before the iPhone 4 was coming out so I had to wait a little while after the release of the iPhone before I could upgrade it on my contract. I was very excited when the courier knocked at my door with it I must admit! There is something so exciting about opening a new iPhone (or perhaps I am just a little bit sad!) The Iphone 4G comes in a lovely little black box with a picture of the iPhone on the front and the Apple logo. Once open you will find the iPhone in protective plastic, instructions for use and a little key/hook to pull open the sliding compartment for the sim card. The iPhone comes with a little protective film covering it which is easy to remove, it is just a case of peeling it. The phone itself is beautiful. I love it. It feels more solid than the iPhone 3G did. It isn't as curved; it is more square with rounded corners if that makes sense. It is piano black and has a reflective silver apple on the back and it says iPhone closer to the bottom in the Apple font. On the left side of the phone is the volume control and the mute button where you can switch the phone to silent. On the right side of the phone is the sim compartment whilst the top is home to the off/on button and the earphone jack. The bottom of the phone is for the speaks and the charging port - to charge the iPhone 4 you can either connect it to your computer with the USB supplied of you can plug it into the mains.The iPhone 4 isn't super slim but it isn't overly thick either. I think the width is perfect myself. To put the sim into the iPhone you firstly need a micro sim - a normal sized sim will not fit into it. It is quite fiddly to put the sim into it. You need to use the little key/hook supplied in the box and you put the long end into the hole of the sim compartment and you pull the compartment out. I always find this really awkward and never get it on the first try. The touchscreen on the iPhone is excellent. I find it really responsive - especially when playing Bejewelled Blitz! The iPhone 4 has so many capabilities. It would be impossible to list them all. I have had it for well over a year now and I am certain I haven't mastered all of what it can do! You can browse the internet by connecting it to you home WiFi or you can connect via 3G. You can email , you can use maps (I love the map myself, it tells you exactly where you are and it move a little red dot along as you move!), iTunes, iPod, the app store where you can download more apps for the iPhone, a camera, a video camera, weather, calculator....you name it the iPhone 4 has got it! Oh, and of course making and receiving calls, SMS and MMS! It doesn't take too long to charge the iPhone but I do find I have to charge it alot more than I did my iPhone 3G. I find my battery life drains really quickly if I am using the internet or if I am playing games on it. I have to charge my iPhone everyday but I do use the iPhone alot. I find myself using it more than my netbook as it is just so convenient for browsing the web or for checking my emails. I absolutely love the camera on the iPhone 4. I think it is really good for a phone. You have the ability to zoom in and out, use a flash and then flick through all the photos you have taken via the photo album (you can also send them via MMS or attach them to an email). The camera does tend to go blurry for pictures that are action pictures. But I have some excellent pictures of my daughter and our animals. I really love my iPhone 4 but when my next upgrade is available I will skip the iPhone 4S and go straight for the iPhone 5. The phone itself is brilliant and easy to use - my 6 year old daughter can even use it! I definately recommend the iPhone above all the other phones on the market. It is the absolute best you can buy.

01.07.2012 21:40

Disadvantages

I have always liked my face to be clear. In my late teens I suffered from a spat of spots across my forehead because I had a fringe (my very own fashion faux pas!) and I remember trying everything to get rid of them. Eventually I grew out my fringe and kept it off my face and the spots went away but the feeling of utter despair that I had them has always remained a memory for me. With this in mind, I have always treated my face with the upmost care. I never want to feel like I did in my teens again. I just wish I had found Lush when I was in my teens! I have just about tried every cleanser Lush sell. Aqua Marina is one of them. Aqua Marina is one of Lush's solid cleansers. It comes in one size which is 100g and costs £5.95. It comes in one of the well known Lush black tubs. The black tubs are great as you can rinse them out when finished and if you have collected five of them you can take them back to Lush and exchange them for a free Fresh Face mask. Or you can use them to decant your own lotions etc in for when you go on holiday. There is the usual Lush logo and label on the pot with the name of the product and how to use it as well as the ingredients used. However, Lush used to wrap it in seaweed and then in paper before they switched to the black tubs. Whilst the black tubs are much more practical I do miss the seaweed! When you get the cleanser out of the pot it is all pink and squishy with bits of seaweed running through it. This particular cleanser is not for exfoaliating uses, it is completely smooth and not at all scrubby so is perfect for daily use if you so wish. It's main purpose is for calming the skin down - for example, if you skin is sore or you have spots this would be perfect for it. It would also be perfect for chicken pox as it has calamine lotion in it. Lush also say it is good for skin that has been in the sun too long. Its ingredients also include: carrageen extract, vegetable glycerine, Irish moss gel, aloe vera gel, sea salt, sweet wild orange oil and patchouli oil. To use the cleanser you take a smal amount out of the pot and mix it with a bit of water in your hand so it forms a paste. You then gently apply it to your face. The idea is to massage your face with it, not roughly but just nice and gently. Once you have finished, you rinse it off with warm water. I found this cleanser to leave my face feeling very soft, smooth and refreshed. It kept period spots at bay and was very easy to use and remove. I think this cleanser is great as a day to day cleanser but..... I have only ever purchased this product once because of the smell. Some people say it smells salty, others say it smells like seaweed, I say it smells like dead fish! I really, really cannot get on with the smell. And although I used my whole tub (I couldn't bear to waste it) I hated the smell each and everytime and it put me off of buying it for life. The scent is just urrrggghhh! when I was smelling it in the shop I thought it was so strong because there was a whole bunch of them together but I was wrong! My husband actually asked me if I had been rubbing tuna into my face!