amyjade90

Member since: 09.11.2010

• General / Discussion / 59 Readings / 55 Ratings
      13.06.2012 19:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Hi?

I just thought I would share a little bit about me...

1. What is the wallpaper on your computer screen? Why did you choose it?
      At the moment I have a cat with a huge smile on his face, because in turn it makes me smile whenever I look at it :). I also love cats!

2. Mexican food, Chinese food, Indian food, Italian food, French food or American food?
      I'm an incredibly fussy eater, my family describe my eating as "childrens food" so I would probably stick to American?

3. Do you have any tattoos ?
      Not yet. I have two that are drawn up but I am just too much of a wimp to go and do anything about it. One is my brothers name in Arabic and the other is a hummingbird drawing that my brother drew.

4. Do you have any siblings?
      One "little" brother who is 18. Also technically in a few weeks time I will also gain a younger step brother and sister who are 13 and 14.

5. Have you ever broken a bone?
      Unfortunately yes. I used to be so proud to say no but a few Christmases ago I broke my hip and 2 ribs from slipping in the snow.

6. Do you believe in superstitious things such as breaking mirrors?
      Not at all, I figure I've walked under ladders, had two black cats, broken a mirror, put umbrellas up inside and put new shoes on a table and I'm still here!

7. Do you like those 'end of the world' movies?
      Not really, no.

8. Do you eat more fruits or vegetables? What's your favourite fruit and veggie?
      I much prefer fruits to vegetables. I think it goes back to my fussy eating I couldn't sit and eat a salad and the only vegetables I do eat are cucumber and sweetcorn, peppers at a push! For fruits I love strawberries, raspberries, bannanas, grapes, apples, oranges...I'm not too fussy about fruits. The only thing I can't eat is Pineapple as I'm allergic which is a shame because I love it.

9. Who were you most likely to play during school nativities?
      I was an angel when I was about 6 and that is all.

10. What's your opinion of the dentist?
      I'm terrified of the dentist I get really worked up and it got to the point I hadn't been in 6 years, I went and everything was fine but previously I had 6 teeth out as my mouth was overcrowded (an understatement) and that put me off for life.

11. Have you ever had a speech impediment?
      Nope.

12. If you had to choose, what is the worst movie you've ever seen?
      I've seen some pretty terrible films but I tend to forget about them?

13. Do you like meeting new people?
      I'm pretty shy but if I'm with a group of people that I know well then I'm usually not too bad, but meeting new people when I'm alone I tend to go a bit quiet.

14. If you could, which celebrity would you date?
      Now so many people can't ever understand my response to this but there really isn't anyone that I think "Oh I'd like to date" because I figure just from reading stories (most of which probably aren't true) then how can you really want to get to know a person better? Someone please tell me I'm not alone haha.

15. What would you take with you on a deserted island?
      I'd say my kindle, some cold drinks, insect repellant and something comfy to laze about on.

16. Do you know how wide your hips are in exact inches?
      Not exactly, I know roughly?

17. What would you say is the worst part of high school?
      The bullying. Kids are cruel.

18. How old will you be on your Mother's 68th birthday? Is that 'old' to you?
      I will be 47 and its not old but it is pretty scary thought!

19. Ever thought you were dying of something?
      Nope luckily.

20. Have you ever wanted to be a doctor?
      I would love to be but I'm quite squeamish.

21. If you were dying who would you say goodbye to first?
      My family.

22. Do you like to babysit children?
      Oh no! I'm not really a "child person".

23. Do you often forget where you put things?
      Pretty often but I'm not as bad as my mum who stores things in "safe places" never to be found again.

24. Do you go on a lot of holidays?
      Nope, I've been pretty lucky and been on 3 in 3 years but previously I had only been on a couple.

25. Have you ever met someone with the same 'biggest fear' as you?
      Yes, my dad is equally as terrified as needles as me.

26. Would you rather write with a pen or pencil? Why?
      A pen because my writing is messy with a pencil and I feel that I would constantly have to be sharpening it as I am quite heavy handed if that is possible when I write.

25. What is your favourite number and why?
      I haven't ever really understood having a favourite number?

26. Are you afraid of the dark ?
      Not in a place that I know well but say if I was walking home somewhere I wasn't familiar with by myself then I think I would be a little scared of the unknown rather than the dark? I'm rambling.

27. Where was the best school trip you ever went on?
      I would probably say Disneyland when I was in Year 8. There was originally 4 to a room but 2 of the girls dropped out at the last minute so me and my friend then had a huge room to ourselves and when you are 13 that is pretty cool.

28. Are you a controversial person?
      I don't think so...

29. What would you say your average word per minute count is on a keyboard?
      I think its around 70 wpm. I remember teaching myself to touch type when I was about 11.

30. What was your favourite and least favourite subject in school?
      My favourite would probably have been Media Studies or Science and my least favourite would have been P.E or I.C.T because we had the meanest teacher I have ever met.

31. Do you bite your nails.
      I used to when I was younger and my parents always tell me that one day when I was about 5 I came out from school and said I was going to stop and I did. The thought of biting my nails makes me cringe.

32. When is the last time you went to the library?
      A few months ago.

33. Do you like fiction or non-fiction books more?
      I enjoy both I will read pretty much anything.

34. Do you treat others as you'd like to be treated?
      I sincerely hope so.

35. What type of child were you?
      Bossy. Very bossy. Thankfully I'm not like that anymore.

36. Are you someone who likes to get into arguments and fights a lot?
      I try my best to avoid conflict whenever possible. I hate arguing with people.

37. Do you swear a lot?
      A little.

38. If you had to get another tattoo what would it be and where?
      I haven't got any yet and I already explained above on the tattoo question :)

39. What's your favourite TV show?
      I don't really think I have a favourite, I like lots of different kinds but I can't stand "talent" show programmes.

40. Does personality weigh out the sense of 'good looks'?
      Without a doubt.

41. What is your favourite thing in your bedroom?
      I don't really think I have a favourite at the moment as it's still in the process of being finished.

42. If you could change 1 thing about you, what would it be?
      Not to get so anxious all the time.

43. Do you have any regrets? If so, what are they?
      There are lots of things that I wish I had done differently but I tend not to regret too much.

44. What colour hair do you have?
      A dark brown.

45. What colour eyes do you have?
      Blue/Green/Grey, they appear to change as and when they feel like it. Today they are blue with green around the center.

46. Favourite Sound?
      My dog making some crazy crying whimpering noise when I get home because everyone likes being missed.

47. Favourite Quote?
      "I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I'm already better than them". Possibly not my favourite but I like the thoughts behind it.

48. Are you trying to achieve something at the moment.
      Getting through the Student Finance documents to start University in September. That will be an achievement in itself.

49. If you could do 1 thing for someone what would it be?
      Off the top of my head I'm not sure what I could do but either something for my mum or brother as they truely deserve it.

50. What would change?
      Too much to mention.

05.06.2012 12:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great blush for a bargain price!

I had been after a peachy pink blush with a little bit of gold shimmer running through it for quite some time. One that would be a good dupe for the very popular Nars Orgasm blush and after not being able to get my hands on the Sleek Rose Gold blush (which I am told is very good) I came across this in Boots when I was browsing on my lunch break as you do.

I noticed that all the myfacecosmetics had 75% off and only very few products remained that looked like they hadn't been played with by toddlers. The blusher was originally £9.99 which I would have bypassed if I had seen it at full price but for under £2.50 it was worth a try.

All the myfacecosmetics have three different categories for different skin tones, fair, medium and dark which I thought was a really good idea and not one that I had seen before on "high street" makeup brands. It does help a little although I have fair skin the blush I picked up in shade "Costa Del Soul" is supposedly aimed towards people with medium toned skin although I think with things like blush you can make the majority work for all skin tones.

The packaging of the product is a large silver rectangular mirrored compact. The outside does have quite a thick clear plastic over the top which is great so I don't have to worry about shards of mirror breaking into my handbag and it seems pretty robust from being lugged around in my bag. The inside has a pretty large mirror for a product this size and it also contained a blusher brush which I haven't used as it is
        one of the flat very small ones that I find can make blusher streak.

The product itself is very smooth, silky and soft. I find that I don't have to swirl my brush around in it too many times to pick up the right amount of product, and it isn't too soft that I have far too much product. The shade of this is really beautiful and at first I was slightly worried that the gold shimmer running through would make me look like my makeup had been applied by a 5 year old but as it is so finely milled it just adds a nice subtle glow. I find that you can really build the colour up if you prefer but I just use a very light amount and I find that this lasts me all day.

I actually went back into Boots to see if they had stocked up on any more of the blushers in other colours with the 75% off but unfortunately the stand has now disappeared ready to be replaced with something else. You can still buy the myfacecosmetics online or it might be worth having a look in your local Boots branch to see if you can get any bargains! I really think that I would pay the original price of £9.99 as it is a really lovely blusher and I have been using it for quite some time and not even made a dent in it yet.

09.04.2012 20:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product just not for me

I have finally finished using the Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel (amongst others I must add) so I feel that now after I had been using it for several months I could give it a fair review. I received the 50ml bottle in a set that I won as a prize and although I thought at first the size of the bottle wouldn't last me very long I was very pleasantly surprised.

The Special Cleansing Gel comes in 3 sizes, 50ml, 250ml and the largest 500ml. These are priced anywhere between £8-£33 respectively. The bottle is very much the same as all Dermalogica products with a click-able lid although I have began to notice as the Dermalogica bottles are of quite a hard rigid plastic I do find that it can be hard to get the product right from the bottom of the bottle especially with this cleansing gel as it was of a very thick consistency. Although as it is a thick gel I found that I didn't squeeze too much so I didn't get any wastage.

The gel is clear in colour and is quite thick, it also has a very light scent to it which is slightly minty and clinical much like other Dermalogica products. It contains anti-inflammatory ingredients which is great if you do suffer from acne or the odd spot. To use the gel I first dampened my face, squeezed a little of the gel into my hands (around a pea sized amount) worked into a very light lather, I think I was expecting more bubbles but there are very few. I then applied to my face and massaged into my skin, after massaging I rinsed off with water and then to close my pores splashed my face with cold water. I found that it was great at removing light makeup but any heavy eye makeup I found I had to use a facial wipe first then apply the cleanser. When massaging the gel into the skin it feels very silky and smooth and afterwards my skin felt soft and very clean and I didn't experience any tightness on my face. After a good few weeks of using this cleanser I found that it didn't break me out and helped to calm my spots but it didn't really do anything to help get rid of them.

I did really like this cleanser but for someone that does suffer with spots I found that although it did calm them and my skin did feel lovely and soft I wanted something that was going to help clear my skin up at the same time. I think if my skin was already clear then this would be great for me, as my mum who has older skin used this and adored it so much that she went out and brought the 250ml bottle as it worked so well for her skin. I would definitely recommend trying a smaller size first before you commit to a larger size to see if it does work for your skin.

05.12.2011 21:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

A bargain!

I love finding makeup products that aren't going to break the bank and one's that will work. I think this is why I love the Natural Collection range of make-up products from Boots. Good quality products with everything under £2 and more often than not they are on offers of 3 items for £5. It really is worth a look as there are some true bargains to be had and the concealer stick is one of them.

For £1.99 I wasn't really expecting a great deal from the concealer, I do have some acne scarring and the usual bags under my eyes from when I've been overworked which is more often than not! It comes in three shades of Fair, Medium and Dark. I picked Fair which is the lightest one of the three as I have
        very pale skin. The medium shade did look very orangey and I think it could be quite hard to find a shade to match your skin type if you have darker skin than an olive tone. The product comes in a simple white tube with the Natural Collection logo on the side and is identical to the lipstick containers and with me being so clumsy I'm quite lucky I've never applied the lipstick to my face on one of the early mornings. It comes in a twist up stick and can be applied directly from the tube onto the skin or I prefer to apply with a concealer brush just to help stop spreading of bacteria onto my face.

The consistency is quite thick with a medium coverage and once on the skin it is very creamy but blends very well into the skin and I don't find I have any tell tale signs once underneath my foundation. I was slightly worried that it would be slightly orange toned on my skin as I am so pale but I haven't found
        this at all. I don't think it works amazingly on dark circles but on redness on the skin I think it is really good. I would definitely recommend applying with a brush as you get far better coverage and finish than applying with fingers. The concealer has no fragrance which I am always pleased about as I am very fussy with fragranced products and I usually find that the cheaper ranges of makeup usually put in a really artificial scent to them. Once on the skin there isn't any sheen or greasy feeling and I don't think it goes onto the skin cakey or feels too heavy. Another huge plus is that it hasn't broken my skin out and I don't feel that it clogs up my skin either.

Overall I really would recommend this product, on dark circles it isn't great but for the price you can afford to pop a few layers on for a good coverage. I think that this is far better than the majority of concealers I have tried and for under £2 you can't really go wrong.

05.12.2011 00:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great for sensitive acne prone skin

Here is part three of my Dermalogica Skin Care Kit review of the Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant. The size I got in my kit was a tiny 10ml sample but was more than enough for 4 applications as a little does go along way. I must have tried every facial scrub out there to help eliminate my acne scaring and to try and make my skin feel smoother. I always tend to find any exfoliaters that have the word "gentle" in them just don't have enough scrub in them to make any significant difference but this is where this product comes in.

A full sized tube of this exfoliater is 75ml and is around the £25 mark but as with everything it really is best to shop around before you commit to buying from one place to make sure that you are getting the best deal! It does contain both lactic acid and salicylic acid which in most products I try to avoid as I don't feel that they work for my skin type, although if you have oily skin I think that they could quite possibly be a good thing.

As with all Dermalogica products it comes in very simple and clinical looking packaging. The exfoliant has the same scent as all the other Dermalogica products that I have tried out, very clean and fresh scent which isn't too overpowering and doesn't leave you scrunching up your nose at the smell and then desperately wanting to wash it off your face after 30 seconds! Like I said at the beginning over a very small amount of cream needs to be used over the skin just enough to cover it like a film over the skin. As it is a gentle and non abrasive exfoliant it can be used up to twice a week for more problematic skin. I tend to only use it occasionally now when I feel my skin needs a bit of an extra boost. The cream itself is quite a runny white coloured liquid but with a thicker texture of almost clay. Once on the skin you can feel it tightening and I like products that I can feel working, I'm not sure if that's a brain thing that if I can feel something happening it must be working! I'm quite glad I hadn't read other reviews before using as lots of people seem to have found it really stings their skin and even though my skin is very sensitive I have never had any problems with stinging when using this. I was a little confused on the first application as being an exfoliant I thought it might have the "scrubby" bits in and I was almost certain none had come out of the tube but after reading up this is what its supposed to be. I find this better for my skin as sometimes I get a little carried away and end up scrubbing far too much and actually damaging my skin even more.

When on the skin it sinks in quite quickly and after leaving for 10-15 minutes you quite simply rinse off. I think due to its clay like texture it did take a little more than a quick splash with water to rinse off but with a warm flannel and a sink of water it was off in no time. I would definitely advise avoiding the eye area as it really does feel like they are burning if you get it anywhere close so just make sure your careful and not clumsy like me with the application.

After rinsing off my skin didn't look red and irritated like sometimes I get after using a new product or exfoliator, and my skin actually felt smooth and looked brighter than usual. The next day which is usually my ultimate test I woke up with no breakouts and the few spots I already had, had shrunk considerably
          in size and had calmed down a lot. It also contains products to help moisturize your skin and my skin felt and looked considerably smoother and softer after using. My makeup also applied really nicely the next day after using this.

Out of my whole kit of Dermalogica products I think that this really has been my favourite and have since re-purchased as I feel it makes such a difference to my skin overall. I think if your fed up with wasting money on cheaper exfoliaters and not getting the results you after this could be great for you!

30.11.2011 16:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great if someone has very dry skin

This is the second part of my reviews on the products that were included in my Dermalogica Normal/Dry Skin kit that I recieved as a gift around a year ago for around the £18 mark. The product I received in the kit was a sample size of 22ml but the full size product to buy is a 100ml bottle and sells for around a pricey £20.

The product comes in a regular tube with a screw capped lid and looks no different to any other of the Dermalogica products. Its described as a medium weight cream that helps to improve your skins texture while moisturising and hydrating your skin. I was a little worried after I had read it was a medium weight cream as I thought it would be far too heavy for my skin as I have found the lighter the better works for me. After my initial doubts I actually found the cream no thicker to any other moisturser I have used which in a way I was quite pleased about. Although if I was looking for a heavier cream if I did have very dry skin I think I would have been a little disappointed.

The cream is white and as with most of the Dermalogica products I've used I feel that they all have the same sort of mildly clinical scent but again not overpowering. It contains cucumber and like many other Dermalogica products arnica. You can smell the cucumber scent but only ever so slightly. It contains lots of other ingredients that are all good for your skin such as amino acids (they don't sound so friendly!), vitamins A,C and E and also aloe.

My skin can sometimes feel quite irritated and after applying this it did seem to calm down my skin and took down some of the redness. It sunk in very quickly and feels slightly cooling. It doesn't leave skin feeling greasy or tight after using and my makeup applied well over the top of the moisturiser. It really does help keep my skin feeling soft and supple.

Overall I do think this is just a slightly glorified moisturiser and as much as I really liked using it on my skin I dont feel that I can justify spending £20 on something I can get from a cheaper product. I would recommend this product if you had really dry, acne prone skin as I think it would probably benefit someone with drier skin more than me!

26.11.2011 20:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lovely cleanser not such a lovely price!

Its no secret that my skin hasn't always been great and I have probably tried and tested and failed with many many products. While on the hunt for something suitable for my skin my mum kindly brought me the Dermalogica Normal/Dry Skin kit that contained 5 products in smaller sizes in the hope that some of the products or all of them combined would help to improve my skin. I got it brought for me around a year or so ago and it is a lot cheaper now at around the £18 mark. The first product I thought I would review is the Multi-Active Toner. The size of the toner that I got included in the kit was 50ml and a full sized bottle is 250ml and retails anywhere from £18 up to £27 so its definately best to shop around.

As with all Dermalogica products the packaging is almost clincal and not that girly and pretty but its the product inside that counts! The first thing I noticed that was different to most toners is that it comes in a spray bottle, so rather than having to fiddle about with cotton wool and me being incredibly clumsy I usually spill a fair amount of cleanser before it even reaches the cotton pad so if your clumsy this is a great idea. The same with all toners this is done after cleansing your skin. I am always reluctant to use new products on my skin as it can sometimes react badly and I can wake up the next morning and find it has broken out my skin badly.

The toner itself is a clear liquid and feels as light as water once sprayed onto your skin. I found that you only need 2/3 squirts of this to get a good cover on your whole face. As it contains aloe vera, lavender, mint and arnica (which is amazing for bruises!) you can definately smell the lavender but I don't find it overpowering in the slightest which is brilliant for me as I'm incredibly fussy about scented facial products. I found that it soaks into your skin incredibly quickly and doesn't leave your skin in any way looking greasy or having that horrible tightness after cleansing and toning your face. It felt very mild and afterwards my skin felt smooth and really clean. It claims to even skin tone and reduce pores but as I have never had any problems with large pores I cannot comment on this. I don't really feel it did anything to even out my skin tone but all products that make this claim I have never found one that lives up to it.

Overall I do think it is an expensive product and I don't feel it works any different to my beloved Liz Earle Toner (I sound like a walking advertisement) so I don't think I will be splashing out £18 any time soon for something that I feel that I can get cheaper and does the same job elsewhere. If this was half the price I think it would be my go to toner but unfortunately it isn't.

22.11.2011 23:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Doesn't work for me

I first tried out the Medibac Sebum Clearing Masque several years ago when it was previously named Anti-Bac Cooling Masque, both contained exactly the same ingredients and both still promise to work in exactly the same way. I have since then tried out the Medibac Sebum Clearing Masque and can confirm that
            the results are identical. A few years back when my skin was really awful I literally tried everything out including splashing out on expensive Dermalogica products. The masque retails at around £28 for a 75ml tube which is extremley pricey but I was willing to spend any amount of money on something that may have cleared my skin up. It can be brought in the usual online websites and Dermalogica counters throughout the UK.

Dermalogica promises that this will be "cooling, refining and deep cleaning" and will also "absorb excess oils and help prevent future breakouts". It contains no artificial fragrances or colour, but does contain salicylic acid which now looking back I think did more harm for my skin than good. I never had oily
            skin so I wasn't using it for that purpose but I just wanted my skin to feel a little less tight, help prevent breakouts and to make my skin feel super clean.

The product itself is in the usual Dermalogica branded tubes with a flip top lid and the usual ingredients and information on the side and backs. The masque is a clear quite thick gel that I applied to my face and neck. Even though its a thick gel it applys easily and smoothly to the skin. A little of the product really does go a long way so a tube this size would last you quite a long time. Whilst on you can feel it tingling and leaves a really nice cooling sensation and I love products that I can actually feel working. After leaving on for 10 minutes it washes off easily with a warm flannel and water and doesn't require pulling on your skin like some face masques do. I have also used this on a certain targeted area of my skin and again
            left for 10 minutes. It does state that you can use this up to 3 times a week which I did for a couple of weeks but I really felt that on my quite sensitive skin this was far too much and actually made my skin incredibly dry. The masque contains clay which is known to help remove dirt from your pores and I give
            it that it really does make your skin feel incredibly smooth and clean afterwards. After rinsing off and patting dry my skin never felt tight but it didn't feel moisturised and I think my skin really doesn't like anything that contains salicylic acid and it really does dry it out. I can't make a comment on the effectiveness of using it on an oily skin and if this helped to reduce the oils as I have never suffered with this.

As you can probably tell I've never been totally sure about this product and I really don't think I would re-purchase this as I feel it is just too strong on my sensitive skin. I think that perhaps on skin that is already oily this may be perfect as it would probably dry out the skin a little and not make too much of a difference. After trying so many products I really don't feel that anyone with sensitive skin should try this as I think it may just dry the skin out too much. I will definately be sticking with my Liz Earle products that are still aren't cheap but they really work for me!

21.11.2011 20:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product

I like my nail varnish to be applied quickly and dry even quicker and come in a great range of colours and with Rimmel 60 Second nail polish this is exactly what I'm after. I now have quite a collection of these, Coral Queen, Coralicious and Purple Reign to name a few. I find that these are usually around the £3.69 mark which is about average for a drugstore brand of nail varnish. I have more recently found quite a few of these sneaking into the poundland stores and this is where I have brought quite a few of my colours. I'm just hoping this doesn't mean they are discontinuing several of the colours as my favourite Coral Queen I have seen in 2 branches of Poundland recently!

The bottle itself states is only needs 1 stroke, 1 coat and 1 minute of drying time. This sounded brilliant for me as sometimes I need my nails to be done in super quick time. The nail varnish itself is usually quite thick and the colour is identical to the bottle something that I was pleasantly pleased with as sometimes it can be quite dissappointing when you love a colour in the bottle and it dries alot lighter or darker once applied. I find that after just one coat the colour payoff is brilliant (apart from Purple Reign) and I don't find that they require more than one coat. After one minute it does definately feel dry to the touch. I tend to leave for a couple of extra minutes as otherwise I tend to dent my nails and me being fussy it really annoys me. The applicator brush is thicker and fatter than most nail varnish brushes, I haven't got particulary big nails and I do find that it does need more than one stroke on my nails expecially the thumb nails. The finish is incredibly shiny ang glossy and this doesn't fade like some polishes do after a few days.

I find that the tips of the nail tend to fade first and then the chipping starts. With a base and top coat I have found that this can last for much longer than a week. Without base and top coat I would say it still has pretty good lasting time of around 5 days. They really do come in a huge colour range and I'm pretty sure everyone could find a colour that they love. For the price these really are brilliant nail varnishes and I'm definately going to keep my eye out for promotions and for more in poundland!

• Benefit High Beam / Make Up / 24 Readings / 24 Ratings
              21.11.2011 20:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

Unfortunately this product just doesn't do it for me

I first tried out Benefits High Beam as it was included in one of the Christmas gift sets a couple of years back and its not until recently that I first tried it out. Mine was a miniture sample (around 4ml I believe) and the full sized product comes in a 13ml bottle and is priced at £18.50. It is available online and also in Boots and Debenhams branches. Currently in Boots they are offering a free facial emulsion gift with any Benefit purchase (21/11/2011).

The packaging of the full sized bottle is very much like all Benefit packaging which is very pretty and feminine. As mine was a sample sized product mine was just in a little round tube with an applicator the same as a lipgloss wand. The full sized product comes in a little round glass bottle and the applicator is something like a nail varnish applicator brush.

High Beam promises to create a "natural radiant glow" that makes your skin look "young, radiant with a fresh complexion on all skin tones". For a start I do not believe that this would be in any way suitable for all skin tones as the product itself is a very pale pink with a white shimmer and as I have very pale skin it is perfect for me, but I think anyone with a slightly more olive skin tone would struggle with this product as I could see it being too white against their skin.

The product itself is a very pale pink creamy satin liquid that can be applied under or over makeup. I have tried both underneath my usual makeup or on top of my makeup and I'm not 100% sure about it either way. I applied it on my cheekbones, underneath my brow bone and down the center of my nose. I simply applied by dabbing on the liquid and blending in with my fingers. It has a slight shimmer that isn't too sparkly and is ideal for day or night. I feel it gave my skin a tiny bit of a glow but if your skin gets oily in any way throughtout the day then this may just highlight the problem. It can also be mixed with your foundation or tinted moisturiser to give an all over dewy glow. I also tried mixing a little with my foundation (a little goes a very very long way) but I really prefer my skin to have a matte finish and even though I had only added a tiny amount I feel it made my skin look a little greasy.

As you can probably tell I'm not totally convinced about this product and definately wouldn't pay £18.50 for it as I just don't feel that it makes a huge difference to my apperance. There are many dupes for this product on the high street so if I ever became desperate for this I might well go for a cheaper version of it. I really wanted this product to work and as much as I loved the creamy formulation and idea of it I just don't think it worked for me.

20.11.2011 13:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

For the price I can't really complain!

I'm always on the hunt for good quality cheap nail varnishes that come in a good range of colours and 2True by Superdrug matches this almost perfectly. I've always been drawn to the lovely range of colours of nail varnish by them and for £1.99 or usually 3 for £5 you can't really go wrong for the price. They have also brought out 2True Crystal Nail Polishes which are a glittery shimmer finish but this is to be reviewed at another time. Today this will be about the Glossywear Nail Polishes.

The packaging itself is simple with the polishes coming in short round glass bottles with black lids and all the relevant information on the bottle. As the bottles are shorter the brushes attached to the lid are quite a bit shorter but I actually find this easier as I find that with bigger bottles the stem of the handle is too long and I usually end up with more nail varnish around my fingers rather than on the nail. My mum also has tiny hands and finds these really easy to apply as they are easier to get a more sturdy grip on them.

I have quite a few shades from this range and I seem to get drawn to the purple shades as I have now realised I have 3 of the same shade (No13). I also own some of the pink and red shades in No24 and No17. I do find that the lighter red and pink colours are alot thinner than the darker colours and I usually go for three coats of the lighter polishes and two coats of the darker ones. The nail polish itself is quite thin and the first time I applied the first coat I thought it was going to take me a lifetime to get a nice opaque shade. After the three coats I find that my nail is completely covered and has a lovely smooth finish. They do take slightly longer to dry than most but I always try and paint my nails in the evenings when I don't have anything else to do, so if your in a rush I wouldn't suggest these as a quick fix.

I have found that the lighter shades aren't as glossy as they look in the bottle as they are on the nail which is slightly disappointing but they have a nice finish all the same. The purple colour I have has a very glossy with a slight shimmer finish to it which is identical to the bottle so the colour pay off is really very good.

Wear and tear wise I find that again the lighter colours seem to be more problematic than the darker colours with them only lasting two days at the most and the darker colours lasting around 3/4. I always try and use a base coat to pro-long the life of them. I find that unlike some of the nail varnishes I own these do just chip off rather than fade. To be honest I rarely have the same colour on my nails for more than a week so this doesn't matter to me a great deal.

For the £1.99 price tag I think these come in a great range of colours and although they may require a few more coats and last a little less than the more expensive ones I think I can make a compromise purely for the gorgeous range of colours that they come in.

• 17 Hide & Chic Concealer / Make Up / 39 Readings / 38 Ratings
                16.11.2011 19:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not for me

I first purchased the "Hide and Chic Eye Brightening Concealer" as on my Boots loyalty card I had a half price coupon making the product only £2.25 and for the price I thought I could give it a go and didn't have much to loose out on and if it wasn't great I hadn't spent the full £4.49. More recently I have been able to print off Boots coupons for a free tube too! So after reading this review and if you still want to try it, it might be worth checking!

I don't tend to suffer with really dark under eye circles but sometimes I do need something just to help conceal and brighten which is exactly what this product says it does. The packaging is a black pen like tube with a brush on the end which is incredibly soft and flexible. The concealer is dispensed through the tube by turning the base. I'm not usually a fan of brushes attached to make-up especially things like foundations and concealers as I like to be able to wash my brushes to help prevent bacteria, but I gave this a go anyway.

The product is available in 3 colours Light Rose, Medium Rose and Light Beige. I think a lot of people must have been given the money off coupons as the only shade they had available was Medium rose which I normally would have avoided as I have very fair skin but I didn't find this too dark for me at all. The first time I used this I dotted the liquid around my eye area and gently patted into my skin. The liquid itself is of a very thin consistency not so thin it runs down your face when applying because that would be silly but just so that it feels like a very thin cream. I'm not sure if I was expecting too much from the concealer itself but even after using several times I have noticed no difference at all. I don't feel that the supposed light reflecting particles made any impact on my eye area either. I've persisted and tried to use this by building up layers of the concealer and using it with another brush and each time it has made no difference to my eye area.

I'm glad that I didn't spend out the full £4.49 on this as I have been extremely disappointed with the product which isn't usually the case with 17 products.

14.11.2011 17:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

I wish it was thicker!

I tend to spend no more than a few pounds on nail varnish purely because I have tried out some more expensive ones in the past and I think that drug-store nail varnishes are easily the same quality if not better. I tend to only buy the No7 polishes when I have the Boots save £5 on No7 product vouchers as this makes them a bargain price of £2 a bottle.

I have quite a collection of these now and currently the one that I will be reviewing is Salsa. I have found that the stronger colours of these polishes tend to work better as the French Pink that I also own is almost a totally different consistency and almost feels like a different nail varnish.

Salsa online looks like a shimmery pink and based purely on the online swatch I probably wouldn't have brought it. I'm shocked at how different it really is to the online picture. In real life its a gorgeous deep red with a gold shimmer through the polish.

I really love this colour as sometimes I find that bright red nail varnishes can look a little brash and tacky but with the subtle gold shimmer and the darker tone I don't find this at all. The shimmer isn't very obvious until it catches the light which I love. I did find that even after two coats that it wasn't an opaque finish at all and I was slightly disappointed and it did take 4 coats to get a complete cover which I don't tend to like doing as I find the more coats that are applied the quicker it chips. The consistency is quite watery and thin and I think this is why it took so many coats for a total cover. Drying time it took about 45 minutes to fully set and I did manage to smudge two of my nails while doing almost nothing after half an hour which I was really shocked about. Its definitely not for someone that's in a rush!

Wear and tear wise a lot of my job does require using keyboards, opening boxes and paperwork which are all things that tends to make my nail varnish chip really quickly. I've been pleasantly surprised with this as it took over a week to chip. After about the 4th day I found that the tips of my nails started to fade but nothing that is too noticeable and I managed not to totally re-apply until a week later. I really like the quality of this nail varnish but I'm not sure that I would spend £7 on it. The No.7 nail polishes come in a huge range of colours and I'm sure there would be one out there to suit all nail varnish wearers. I think if the consistency was thicker and it required less coats I would love it even more.

• What's In Your Bag? / Discussion / 26 Readings / 24 Ratings
                  14.11.2011 17:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

I need to sort out my bag!

I love reading these because I am incredibly nosy so I thought I would let some of you be equally as nosy and find out what is in my bag today...

I really do try and sort out the rubbish in my bag so I won't bore you all with details of the empty chewing gum wrappers and receipts! My bag is a Nine West black leather with gold studs that I got for a bargain of £19 instead of £110 in the sale a few years back. Its worn incredibly well and I'm surprised the straps haven't started to come away with the amount that inside. I will be a hunchback by the time in 40!

Main Compartment - Two purses - one that I keep my money for Christmas presents inside and the other is my everyday purse which is a beautiful white leather (the most impractical colour) DKNY purse that was a present from my boyfriend for my 21st birthday. Inside there is lots of change ready to go into my change pot, no notes unfortunately and almost every loyalty/reward card going. Also a few wage slips and various receipts and some little passport style pictures of me and my little (but taller than me) brother. Umbrella in a little pouch living in the UK means it can literally rain at any point! Nail file and shiner as I cant stand having that little chip in a nail that seems to catch on everything, the nail varnish I'm currently using as my manager can't stand chipped nail varnish so its a just in case thing! Its a No7 one in Salsa (soon to be reviewed). My 16-25 railcard, 4 pens, various money off coupons, little squishy elephant keyring (with no keys as every single time I get new keys cut I loose them, since moving into my house about 4 years ago I've had around 9 sets cut...)Luckily there's always someone home. My work badges, Ipod and headphones, a breakaway biscuit, mini bag of jelly tots, lots of crumbs from a Palmier pastry thing that decided to wriggle its way out of the bag! Hairbrush, diary, watch, various rings, Elizabeth Arden 8 hour lip protectant which I swear by, chewing gum, free sundae voucher for Harvester, paracetamol and two little very kitsch china cats that I brought from the charity shop earlier on.

Zipped compartment - Anadin superfast working capsules that are quite frankly rubbish, Co-dydramol from when I broke my hip and ribs which still play up sometimes, plasters, packet of tissues, Hello Kitty mirror and comb set, Issey Miyake roll on perfume (why can't all brands make roll ons?), Colgate total toothpaste how and why this has ended up in there I'm not sure, teeny tiny Benetint sample, Rimmel lipstick, Collection 2000 lipstick, KFC handwipes and yet more coupons!

So as you can see I carry around a hell of a lot of things that may or may not be useful! After reading this back a few times I think I might downsize my bag for a few weeks and see what I miss and don't miss to save my shoulders and back more than anything!

09.11.2011 21:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

I love it!

I'm a little bit of a mascara addict and I rarely go back to the same one unless I really love it. I'm extremely fussy when it comes to mascara I want one with a chunky fibre brush, it to be jet black in colour, the formulation to not be too wet, and for it to separate and volumise my eyelashes, quite a lot to ask I know!

I purchased this from Boots in "Very Black" it also comes in "Black" and "Brown Black". I think I paid around £6.99 for this but it can be found cheaper online in the usual places. The packaging is very girly in a bright pink tube with gold writing and I must admit this is what drew me to it in the first place and when I realised it was a bristle brush I was sold. (I am an advertisers dream)

The brush itself is a chunky but not too big bristle brush, the bristles are quite flexible which makes applying easier. The formula is very very black which I love and also not too wet, I have had so many occasions where I have sneezed and the mascara has refused to smudge down my face. The found it did take a few uses for the liquid to dry out a little (but not too much) before I found that I really did like it. It certainly does volumise and separate my lashes. I also find that with a lot of mascaras that throughout the day they tend to go a little flaky and I find little black bits down my face which lets face it isn't that attractive, but with this mascara I haven't had any of the usual problems I encounter.

Would I purchase again? Yes more than likely but as I am always on the lookout for a more barginous version and I am always drawn into the new products. I think that if nothing else catches my eye this could well become my go-to mascara.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7