andyoz

Member since: 26.05.2009

User that trust you
      25.01.2012 11:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Good Product

There are many ways to back up information on a computer. As time moves along, so does the technology. Ten years ago we all used to save things on floppy disks, now that technology is redundant. Now we have all kinds of things to safe information on, ranging from simple flash drives to things called clouds! For me though I still use the simple flash drive or memory stick as I still call them. Even these have come along way though, I remember one I used that was just 256MB, these days you can store far more information on them.

I have quite a few 8GB memory sticks and have even reviewed a few of them. But even 8GB seems quite small when you are backing up multiple pictures and videos. So recently I decided to invest in a 16GB flash drive, the price of these has come down so I was happy to pay for one.

The one I went for was one that seemed pretty standard. This is actually a play one, a company who I didn't even know made these until I actually spotted a review for one here on Dooyoo. It's amazing what other things this company make, but that's besides the point. I have been using this for a while now so wanted to give it a review.

First of all for ease of use it is very good. As you would expect it plugs into your USB slot very easily, I have one that almost gets stuck in there but I have no such problems with this one. Back in the old days you sometimes had to format these but this one does not have that issue. You simply slot it in and your ready to go. That's pretty much all I can say about how easy it is to use.

The design is pretty basic. I would describe this one as quite chubby, I have slimmer pen drives but it is also quite short. The blue colour makes it easy to identify. There is a small cap that slips over the end which keeps the port safe and secure. Sometimes on a flash drive the cap is connected, this one is not so it could be easily lost if not careful.

The memory is pretty good as you would expect from a 16GB drive. I have not filled this one yet and still have plenty of room left. I have had no problems with loss of data or anything like that, although I have not really been using it all that long. Price wise this one cost me £11 which I think is pretty good for a drive of this size. It seems pretty reliable and I have been happy with everything it has done so far, so I suppose this one gets a big thumbs up. So if you are looking for a good value flash drive then I would certainly recommend this one.

12.01.2012 14:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

Some Good Picks

It's amazing how many picks you accumulate over the years. I have been playing guitar for around fifteen years now and over that time I have bought countless picks. In case you are unaware a pick is a small usually plastic piece of material that is used for strumming the guitar strings. Picks or plectrums as they are also known come in various shapes and sizes and can often been seen as quite collectable. Every one who plays guitar using a pick will have their own personal favourite. I tend to go for the thinner ones more often that not as these give you are more mellow sound.

I must admit, when I looked through my collection of picks, the vast majority were Dunlop ones. But there are a few other makes in their as well. One of these is Ernie Ball. Ernie Ball are probably most well known for their guitar strings, but that also have a range of picks as well. The fact is that this is not really that difficult a product to make, I actually recently saw a plectrum punch where you could make your own picks out of any thin plastic such as an old credit card. Despite that fact though I will try by best to give this a decent review.

The Ernie Ball assorted guitar picks come in a few different colours as you would expect. The one I have is a blue one and to be honest it's not one that I use all that often. It is a little bit thicker than what I would generally go for. There are other ones available though in this range and some are thicker and some are thinner. The shape is pretty standard for a guitar pick, the classic oval shape which most people tend to favour when they are playing.

These do come in a multipack or you can buy them individually. I picked mine up from my local music shop, I thick it cost me around 80p a few years ago. You can buy a pack of these for around £6 if you shop around online. The picks are made from pretty durable plastic, when I use mine it shows no sign of wear and although I have not used it massively, it does still look pretty much as good as new. The pick is easy to grip and I have no problems with it slipping out of my fingers when I'm playing.

Overall then these picks are pretty good quality and good value. Ernie Ball is a well respected name and although you can't really go wrong with picks, these still have a certain quality about them. If you are looking to try some new picks or maybe just one then there is no reason why you should not think about buying Ernie Ball.

10.01.2012 12:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Good Flash Drive

Computer technology and indeed most forms of technology move along very quickly. You can buy a new laptop and a month later it is out of date. Despite that fact some things can still have their uses even years later. An example of this is the humble flash drive or memory stick as many people call it. Storing data on a memory stick has long been the done thing as it's a great way of backing up your information and transporting data from one machine to another. I have been using memory sticks for years now and they always come in very useful.

This review is actually for what I imagine is the first flash drive I ever had. This one is a Belkin USB Flash Drive 64MB. Now if you know anything about computers you will immediately spot something there. 64 MB is extremely small. You may even think it is a typo and it was supposed to say 64 GB, but no this Belkin flash drive only has 64 MB of memory.

Once upon a time the memory on this little stick was extremely impressive. But as mentioned in my opening paragraph technology moves at a fast rate. A stick like this is now pretty much redundant simply because of the size of the flash drives that are now available. The fact is I would only be able to fit around ten photos on this drive, that's how small the memory is. However, despite that fact it does still have it's uses.

Some files you store on a computer are still relatively small. Word documents are the ideal example, when I save a file from word I can easily store it on the Belkin device and have room to spare. Back when I used this on a regular basis that tended to be what I would save on it. Plus back then pictures didn't take up nearly as much memory so I often had a few pics on there as well.

One thing I will say about this little stick, it is very endurable. I have had it for around six or seven years I would say and it still works fine. Admittedly I don't use it on a regular basis but when I found it buried in a cupboard and plugged it into my laptop, its till had all my old files on, very impressive. When I did use it the little clip was handy as you could clip it to a pocket much like you might a pen, it slotted into the USB drive very easily and never had any issues with working smoothly.

When it comes to price and value I'm a little stuck with this one. I can't really remember how much I paid for it and the company don't sell these anymore. Why would they? But I suppose you could say it is very good value as it still works. So even though the technology is redundant in many ways it still has lasted very well. The fact is that I could still use this for saving my word documents on, I would fit a fair few on this and still have room to spare.

So although this is a piece of kit that is really very old and no longer something many people will bother with, it still has been a very impressive piece of kit that has lasted down few the years. Belkin still make other products and if any of them are half as good as this one then they come highly recommended.

04.01.2012 11:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not One I Enjoyed

I have been drinking whisky for around ten years now. In that time I have developed my own taste and hence now have my own personal favourites when it comes to whisky. I tend to prefer Islay single malts, if you know anything about whisky you will release this means I enjoy whisky with a peat flavour and a hint of smoke. There are literally hundreds of different whiskies to choose from and they range massively in price. You can pick up a bottle of single malt whisky for around £20 or you can spend literally thousands on a bottle of whisky.

When you visit the supermarket you are usually presented with a small selection of single malt whiskies. These tend to be the more popular names and they are relatively cheap in price in comparison to some others. One that you very often see in the supermarkets is Jura. This is a very well known whisky and one that many people enjoy.

Jura is actually the name of a small island of the West coast of Scotland. The Jura distillery is the only one on the island and hence lends it's name to this whisky. The distillery here has been in business for almost 200 years and has a rich history. Jura produce several different varieties of their whisky but the standard ten year one is the most popular and also the cheapest.

So how does the ten year Jura taste. Well to be perfectly honest I hate the stuff. But that is just my own personal opinion. I bought a bottle of this as it was on offer and I had never tried it before. There is nothing wrong with the whisky it is just not to my taste. The whisky has a hint of oak and honey and also notes of caramel. It is described as being very mellow although I don't agree with that. The whisky has a very dark colour to it.

I do quite like the bottle and the box it comes in. It's very short and squat and the box is an unusual shape. This will not matter to some people but I collect the boxes and display them on a shelf so I quite like the fact that the Jura box is a little bit different to all the others.

Price wise you are usually looking at around £25 for this one, although I picked it up for just under £20 when it was on special offer. So if you do enjoy this type of whisky then it is pretty good value. As I said there is nothing wrong with this whisky it is just not to my personal taste. If you like oak flavour and a honey finish then you may enjoy this whisky. They also do a few other different bottles which are also pretty good value and may be more to some people's taste. Overall for me though Jura just does not quite do it. This sadly is not one I will be buying next time it comes down in price.

• Golden Bear Golf Bag / Golf / 107 Readings / 103 Ratings
              06.12.2011 16:27

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Wonderful Golf Bag

Golf is one of my favourite sports. I have been playing since a very young age and like to get out on the course as often as time and the weather up north permits. I first made the step up from simple pitch and putt to an actual full 18 hole golf course when I was around 18 years of age. Back then I cobbled together a set of second hand clubs and borrow and friends cheap golf bag. It soon became clear that if I was going to take the sport seriously and play at a decent level I would have to invest in some clubs. So at the age of around twenty, ten years ago, I did just that. I bought a set of Golden Bear golf clubs from an auction, the clubs came in a Golden Bear golf bag and that is to be the focus of this review.

It never ceases to amaze me just how important a golf bag is. You would think that it would really be irrelevant as long as it carries clubs, but the fact is a good bag actually affects the way you play. If you are dragging round a heavy, cumbersome, impractical bulk for the best part of four hours it is going to be exhausting, frustrating and somewhat embarrassing. Just ask my friend who used to play with his dad's old golf bag, it would regularly fall over, drop his clubs and slip off his trolley. My favourite incident was on the 1st hole of our local course where the members in the club house can watch you tee off. We were waiting for the group in front to tee off, just as one of them took his backswing, my friends bag decided to collapse and roll down the hill in an all mighty clatter. Cue sniggering from the members and a rather red faced friend of mine.

So as you can see having a decent golf bag really is important. I have been using this particular golf bag for ten years now. I love it! It wasn't overly expensive, Golden Bear are not seen as one of the best brands when it comes to golf, but the fact is that it does everything I would want a golf bag to do and that little bit extra. So let me tell you why I love it so.

First of all let's talk about looks. This is not the most important feature but when out on the course you want to look respectable. This Golden Bear bag is nearly all black and looks very presentable. There are no unsightly logos on it, it is very understated and yet slick at the same time. It this bag was an actor it would be someone like Kevin Spacey. Nothing special to look at but a real talent when you get to know him. The straps are neat and tidy and the pockets are tucked away nicely.

What about comfort. The fact is carrying a golf bag round for long periods of time can be very exhausting. Many players use a trolley, I do not. The reason for this is I don't have one and don't feel I need one. This bag is very easy to carry and very practical. It has a good sturdy handle slap bang in the middle of the frame, so if carrying just a short distance I use this. If walking after a long drive or to a distant hole location you can make use of the twin straps. These slip over your shoulders and it feels as if you are wearing a rucksack. The bag lies neatly across your bag tilted up slightly so no clubs are likely to make a hasty exit. The straps are padded and very comfortable. If I am walking an average distance I tend to just sling one strap over a shoulder and the bag hangs down at my side, perfect for whipping out my putter to hole that forty foot beast I've left myself. All in all this really is a comfortable bag to use.

Next up practicality. First of all for clubs. The bag is a suitable length that all my clubs fit perfectly. The main tube of the bag is one large section, but at the top it is divided into three compartments. This means you can put your clubs in separately thus making them easier to organise. There are several pockets, five in fact. These are ideal for carrying just about anything I need. I have one pocket that contains around twenty golf ball. This is located on the back near the bottom of the bag. There is a small pocket near the top of the bag, I keep tees and my score card in here as well as keys and mobile phone. There is a large pocket that runs the length of the bag, I can fit a waterproof in here and some drinks and snacks. Then there are two more pockets near the bottom which usually has a few odds and ends in. One pocket I actually forgot was there as it's tucked a way very well I recently found contained a three year old apple which looked as if it was about to ferment into cider! This was a lesson that I should check my pockets a little more often than I do.

All the zips on the pockets work fine even after ten years of use. They never snag or get caught and they are easy to use if I have a glove on. As well as ample pocket space there are also a few handy clips and loops. These are ideal for clipping score cards to, member badges, green repairers etc... The bag came with it's very own Golden Bear black towel which also clips onto the side of the bag and comes in very handy on a wet day.

Possibly my favourite feature of the bag is the stand. This is a very simple device but something that is so important. Basically when I stand my bag up and lean it away from me, a little tripod flicks out and the bag stand up at an angle all on it's own. Most bags have one of these but this one seems to work really well. The only slight downside is that in the past few years it has stopped folding itself up every time. The idea is when you lift the bag off the ground it simply closes up, it seems to have got a little stiff though as sometimes it needs a little encouragement. It doesn't really cause a problem though, just a quick flick with my boot and it folds up fine.

What about value and price? Well as this bag came in a set and I bought it at auction it is a little hard to tell you how much I paid for it. The fact is though that top of the line golf bags can often cost as much as £100. For an entire set of clubs and bag I paid around £150. So as you can see this was very cheap. Due to that fact I have to say this bag has been wonderful value. The fact that I've been using it for ten years and yet it show now real signs of wear is truly remarkable. Value wise you would be hard pushed to beat this one.

Overall then as you can see I really like this Golden Bear golf bag. It has been my companion through both the rough and smooth of my golfing career. It's always there when things are going well, the refreshing swishing sound it makes as it swings loosely on my back really has made for some very special rounds of golf. At the same time it always puts up with me on my bad days, when I throw my putter at it in a rage having missed my 3rd 3 inch putt of the day. If never complains when I leave it on top of a hill in the wind and rain. It's always there for me whatever naughty words I might utter after a shank or however badly I play. My Golden Bear golf bag really has been a wonderful ally over the years and one that I would highly recommend to anyone considering buying a new golf bag.

28.11.2011 12:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Little To Expensive For Me

Jim Dunlop has to be one of the most well known guitar brands out there. I have been using various Jim Dunlop products for well over ten years and it amazes me just how many different bits and bobs you can buy when it comes to the name Jim Dunlop. Obviously the company makes guitars and from me experience they make some pretty good guitar as well, but they also make picks, capos, strings, stands and a various amount of other guitar and music accessories. Jim Dunlop is a good quality name that you can really trust. This particular review though is for a capo made by Jim Dunlop.

The Jim Dunlop Trigger capo is a rather flashy piece of equipment. In case you are not aware of what a capo is it's simply a little device you place on the neck of your guitar to bar the strings. Basically it changes the sound your guitar makes without you actually having do play any differently. Pretty much every guitarist will use one of these at some point and they are something you need when you are playing certain songs and certain types of music.

So this particular capo is pretty basic. The mechanism is simple, you just squeeze it to release or tighten it on the strings and then it holds in place. There is a rubber section which presses on the strings which keeps them secure and at the same time does not damage them in anyway. The capo is easy to adjust and easy to take off or put back on. The whole thing is very solidly built and unless treated very poorly I see no way this one would break.

For me personally this capo represents a rather expensive version of something that could be cheaper. Ironically I actually had one of these for a while and then ended up loosing it. Although I was happy with the performance, due to the fact that they cost going on for £15 I didn't buy another. I now just use a very simple cheap capo which does the job just as well as the Jim Dunlop Trigger capo does.

You can get these in a few different colours so you should find one that matches the style of your guitar. The fact is that this is used to perform a very simple task so if you want a good quality capo that looks good and is fairly impressive then this is one to go for. However, if you are looking for value for money there are far cheaper capos that do the job just as well.

Overall then there is not really much bad I can say about this capo. It does it's job very well and looks slick. The only down side is the price. I had a quick look round online and it seems you can pick one of these up for around £13 but that still makes it quite expensive for what it really is. This was one that I did like when I used it but not one that I will be buying again in the near future.

21.11.2011 12:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good Fun Guitar Picks

When I first picked up a guitar at the age of 16, the idea behind learning to play was simply to have fun. I was not looking to make a career out of it, I was not looking to earn money or win the affection of screaming girls, I was just happy sitting up in my room and enjoying my music. Sometimes I forget the fact that the reason I play is for fun. When I have an upcoming performance and people are expecting new songs and a polished performance I get quite stressed and nervous about the whole thing. Sometimes I go through patches where I don't even play my guitar just because it's to much effort. I forget the fact that playing the guitar was meant to be fun.

That's why I love these little picks. I'm not a massive SpongeBob fan but I have seen it quite a few times and it does always make me smile. So do these guitar picks. Over the years I have amassed quite a collection of various picks from here there and everywhere. I do have one specific variety of pick that I use on a regular basis, but if I'm in a shop somewhere and I see a pick I like I buy it as a kind of souvenir. This is very much the case with these picks.

When I saw the fact that SpongeBob now had his very own set of six guitar picks it really did make me smile. In a pack of these you get six fairly bog standard picks. They are of a medium thickness and a typical shape, however, it's the design on them that makes them such great fun. You basically get six different Spongebob faces all of which are cheeky and funny. Admittedly there is a time and a place for using these, I would probably not use these when playing in front of people I don't know, they are more for my own personal use and maybe if I'm playing with friends.

The picks themselves perform fairly well. For me personally they are a little to thick as I prefer quite a thin pick, but that is just down to personal preference. They are easy to grip and don't tend to slip out of your fingers when playing. When it comes to price they are actually quite expensive in relation to other picks. This is probably just for novelty value. A pack of six of these will cost you around the £5 mark. That may seem cheap but when you compare it with other picks you can buy they are quite costly.

The fact is that these picks are all about fun. They are not the best picks you will ever use and they are not great value, but they will put a smile on your face. If you're a fan of Spongebob and play the guitar then there really is no reason you would not like these picks. Although they are not something I tend to use all that often they still make me smile when I see them and so I would say they were well worth the money. So overall a nice little novelty guitar pick that many people will enjoy.

15.11.2011 15:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Good Quality Product

When I bought my first acoustic guitar around ten years ago I vowed to treat it well and really maintain it as well as possible. My guitar cost me a fair bit of money and it was probably my most treasured possession back then. So as the months went by I came up with various way of looking after my lovely guitar and keeping it looking well. One area that I made sure I kept well maintained was the strings. To be honest nowadays I don't look after my guitar quite as well and all I do is replace the strings when they are worn, but back then I found some that could help maintain the strings that little bit longer. That was Peavey Guitar String cleaner.

You may wonder why guitar strings need cleaning but the fact is that over time and continual use they do get very dirty. You are putting your fingers on the strings and your fingers pick up dirt and grease and this transfers onto the strings and they soon start to lose their colour and even their sound. So the idea behind guitar string cleaner is that it keeps them looking fresh and new and makes them last that little bit longer.

This guitar string cleaner is suitable for both electric and acoustic strings and will work equally well on both. When you buy this it comes is a little 4oz bottle. This is a decent size as you really don't need to use that much to get them clean. To use this you simply apply it to a lint free cloth and then wipe it on the strings. Peavey do actually make a special guitar cleaning cloth that you can buy along with the liquid. This is a decent cloth but you don't have to use this one, any lint free cloth will work equally well.

As to how well it works I must say I was quite impressed. When I bought this one I wasn't really convinced how effective it would be. But it does seem to dissolve the grease and dirt very well. After rubbing this into the strings and then wiping them down it really does seem to remove some pretty serious dirt. I was quite shocked at how much dirt comes off the guitar strings. Even if you think they are pretty clean you will find that dirt that comes off onto the cloth is quite a substantial amount. The strings come up very well and look almost new when you have finished cleaning them.

One thing I will say though is that the sound quality does not really seem to improve. Admittedly I don't have the best ear when it comes to discerning these things, maybe someone a little more professional would notice a slight difference. As to whether or not this improves the life of the strings and how long they last it's hard to say. But they do look nice and shiny and I would imagine that this does help them last that little but longer.

Price wise the Peavey guitar string cleaner is pretty cheap. You can buy a bottle online for around £3 which is nothing really. You do get a fair amount of value out of the little bottle as you don't need to use that much on your cloth. However, I have only bought this product once. There was nothing wrong with it and it was pretty good but it's just a bit of a faf using this. These days when my strings start to wear out or get dirty I just simply replace them. For people who play more often and take it all a little bit more serious than me then maybe this would be a very good product. It is cheap and it is good value so if you fancy giving this a try them go for it.

08.11.2011 12:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Average Strings

At the age of sixteen I decided it was time to do something different. I have never been much good at sticking with new things, I would usually get bored within a few weeks of trying to learn something new. But this time I decided I was going to learn the guitar and this time I was going to stick with it and not give up so easily. So I took myself off down to the local music shop and bought a cheap electric guitar. Looking back now I realise how bad a decision that was, that first guitar was awful and I never seemed to get a decent note out of it. However, I did manage to learn the basics on there at it did help me to progress and get better. I now play acoustic guitar to a decent level.

All those years ago when I used to play my electric guitar I really had no idea what I was doing. After a few months of playing I was told that my strings needed changing, so again I went to the music shop with no real idea of what I was doing. I bought a pack of Ernie Ball Extra Slinky strings. The main reason for this was that they were cheap and a liked the sound of 'extra slinky'. These are ideally for electric guitars and they are said to be more bendable that most strings giving them a rather unique sound.

As with the vast majority of guitar strings you get six in a pack. Each string is a different thickness and this corresponds to where they go on your guitar. I remember that the ends were also colour coded which made it even easier to work out which string was which, something that I would have no problem with now but back then I was never quite so sure. The strings come in there own little paper packets are coiled up in a circle. When you take them out they spring open and then you can put then onto the guitar.

These are quite a low guage which means they are quite slim strings. This does indeed make them better for bending and you do find they move around quite well when you are playing them. They are made from a mix of nickel and steel and they have a nice sharp sound to them when brand new.

One of the downsides about these strings is that they don't seem to last very long. That clear crisp note you get when you first play them soon turns in to something of a dull ring. Out of all the strings I have tried over the years I would say these probably wear out faster than most. One thing though I never had any of these snap on me which is a good thing as some strings seem to snap more than others.

The price of these is very cheap. You can pick up a pack online for less than £5 with no real issue. Despite the low price though they do not last all that long so you may be better spending a little more and investing in strings that will stay fresh for longer. I have not used these strings for a long while, they are certainly not any where near my favourites as the sound they make is not really to my taste. For people who play electric guitar and are maybe just starting out then these would be a decent enough purchase. But the fact is that there are far better strings out there on the market if you know where to look.

31.10.2011 11:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Fantastic Guitar Pick

I have just spotted this product in the Dooyoo listings and it put a big smile on my face. These are my favourite picks and the ones I have been using for around ten years. I was actually going to suggest this product myself until I spotted it on already up there. For those of you who don't know, I have been playing the guitar for around fifteen years. In that time I have used a massive variety of picks. A pick is something that a guitarist uses to pluck or strum the strings. It is not essential as some people will just use their fingers, but most people who play the guitar use a pick and I am no exception to the rule.

There are literally thousands of guitar picks to choose from. They come in all different shapes and sizes, colours and thicknesses. The fact is that often one is no better than the other, it's really all down to personal preference. For me, this is the best guitar pick out there, or the best I've come across anyway. These picks are made by Dunlop who make various other picks and guitar products and they are known as Tortex Fins. The reason they are called fins is that they resemble shark fins.

The picks that I have been using for the last ten years are the red Tortex fins. These are thinner than the purple ones you see in the picture, you can buy the fins in a few different thickness and it's again just down to personal preference. You can buy these either individually from a music shop or you can buy packs of them online. As you would imagine the different colours represent the different thicknesses.

The real thing about these picks that makes them stand out for me is the shape. For one thing they look really good, and another they are very easy to grip. The unique fin shape rests really nicely in your fingers and I very rarely lose my grip when I'm using this pick. Another thing I like about the red ones is that they are slightly see through which gives them an unusual look about them.

When it comes to price these are dirt cheap. I usually buy five at a time online and they only cost a few pounds. This is very good value as they will last for a long time, the only slight problem is that they are easily lost. There must be tons of these I have lost up and down the length of the country. They do last very well though if you don't lose them, I have one that is very old, the writing has worn away and the corner I use for strumming has turned a slightly different colour as it has worn away.

These picks produce a lovely sound on the guitar and are very easy to use. As you would imagine there is really not a lot more to say about these Tortex fins, they are a very simple little product but a very good one. If you play guitar and have never tried a fin then I would recommend giving one a go. They really are the best picks out there. As I said, I have been using these for many years now and no doubt I will continue using them for many more years to come. If you want a good value guitar pick that is going to last you along time, then buy yourself one of these picks.

24.10.2011 11:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Waste Of Money

If any of you have read some of my recent reviews you will know that I play guitar. I have been playing since around the age of fifteen and although I would not say I'm a fantastic musician, I can play all the basics and produce quite a nice sound when I put my mind to it. I started out playing electric guitar but a few years later bought a good quality acoustic guitar which I still own to this day.

Over ten years ago when I bought my acoustic guitar I spent a fair bit of money on it. I have never really been one for looking after things very well, but as this was probably the most expensive thing I had ever owned apart from a car, I decided I was going to treat it well. One of the things that I purchased back in the early days was this, a Peavey Guitar Polishing Cloth. The guy in the shop told me it was made from special material that would be kind on my guitar and get it looking all sparkly. I also bought some special polish that was said to bring the guitar up nicely.

So how exactly does the Peavey guitar cloth perform? Well looking back I can say there were really no problems with it. It worked pretty well and did indeed polish my guitar up nicely. One slight issue was that when I remove the strings to restring my guitar I usually give take that opportunity to polish the neck and this is almost impossible to clean with the strings still attached. I did sometimes find that the cloth can pluck if it gets snagged on any of the frets.

When it comes to polishing the main body of my guitar it always did a fairly good job. It would not leave behind any lint or residue. Used in conjunction with the special guitar polish I bought it always did a very good job and I could always get a nice sheen to my guitar. The cloth is quite small in size, I did always like the look of it, I had the one you see in the picture, a dark gray with the logo on, it certainly looked better than using a yellow duster.

The problem I had with this Peavey cloth though was the fact that really it is unnecessary. There are plenty of other things you can use to polish up your guitar that will do just as good a job. The cloth is also not very big so it does not tend to last very long if you use it on a regular basis. Although I was quite happy with the performance of this one it is something that I have never bought again.

Price wise there is no real issue. I think this cost me a few pounds. You can actually buy packs online that include both the cloth and the polish and these come to around £8. Although they work fairly well it does just come back to the question, do you really need them? For me, I don't think this cloth was really a winner. Although it does everything it should do it really is just an unnecessary expense. So for me, not something I would ever consider buying again, but for some, maybe they would like a fancy duster.

17.10.2011 12:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Good Value Slide

If you have read any of my recent reviews you will know that I play guitar. I have been playing since I was 16. These days I play acoustic to a reasonable standard and I have a sing along every now and again. When I first started out though I basically wanted something loud and exciting. The first guitar I bought was a Tanglewood Electric guitar. As well as a guitar a bought a whole load of accessories, many of which I have never really used. One of these was what as known as a slide. A slide is basically a tube that you put onto your finger, then you press this down on the strings and slide it up and down. You often see blues guitarists using these and when used properly they can make a very good sound.

This particular slide then is the Jim Dunlop Pyrex Glass Slide. I bought quite a few Jim Dunlop items back in the day and as it was a name I recognised I assumed this would be a decent enough slide to purchase. These comes in a simple packet and is easy to spot as you can find it in most decent guitar or music shops. The slide itself is around 2 inches long and will fit pretty much any bodies fingers. I have never had any problems with getting this stuck on my finger and yet at the same time it never really slips off when I'm using it.

One thing that makes this slide a little more interesting is that it is made from glass. This obviously makes it see through which adds a nice effect. However, for me personally I find the glass to be a slightly odd sound on the strings. I have also used a metal slide and I would say I prefer the sound the metal makes over the glass version of the slide.

The fact is that I pretty much never use this slide anymore. Not really because there is anything wrong with it, it's more a case of I simply don't play the kind of music that needs a slide. Even though I have not really used it all that much over the years it is still in very good condition, it shows no real serious signs of wear and I could probably use this for a good few more years if I wanted to. You might worry that it would easily be broken due to it being glass, but due to it's shape it is pretty solid and I have dropped it several times over the years and it has never smashed or cracked.

Another plus point of the Jim Dunlop slide is the price. To be honest I have no idea how much I actually paid for this, but having a quick look round online I can see a few place that offer this one for around £3. So quite a decent price and as it lasts very well you would also have to say that it is very good value. So overall, even though this is not something I would use all that often, I would say that it is a decent enough slide. Admittedly I prefer a metal slide but that probably just down to personal preference more than anything. Jim Dunlop is a very good brand when it comes to guitars and guitar accessories, if you want a decent slide at a good low price then you should be more than happy with this one.

11.10.2011 12:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Good Stand

The humble guitar stand is something that often gets overlooked when you are thinking about music accessories. But the fact is that for any serious guitarist this is really a vital piece of equipment. The reason we use guitar stands is mainly for safety reasons. If you have a nice guitar and want to keep it safe and free from knocks then a guitar stand is vital. Due to the shape of guitars they often fall over if you simply lean them against a wall. I have a friend who is mad about music, he has a guitar worth over £3000, I was there the night he leaned it up against a counter in a kitchen, a slight gust of wind from an opening door and smash, it was down on the tiled floor. His guitar looked fine but on closer inspection there was a chunk missing out of the neck, he was not a happy bunny.

People also use guitar stands for convenience and displaying their guitars. I have had my guitar stand for almost ten years now and it has served me well. I got this one which is a JHS traditional guitar stand simply because when I bought my guitar all those years ago I got in thrown into the deal while I haggled with the salesman. I was a pretty standard looking stand with nothing overly special about it, but I wanted to keep my guitar safe as I had spent a fair bit of money on it.

The JHS guitar stand is very understated and it does the job pretty well. This is a fold up stand so you can pack it up and take it with you. I've even taken this on holiday with me when I've been taking my guitar, it actually managed to fit in my guitar bag which I was quite surprised about at the time. The stand comes in black as you can see, it's not overly stylish and I have seen far nicer stands, but really I more worried about the fact that my guitar is safe than what the stand looks like.

One thing that has been an issue are the rubber protectors that come with this. I must admit I was not 100% sure if I was supposed to remove them. They were a dull orange colour and looked rather ugly, but they were soft and grippy thus holding my guitar in place and not scratching it. The arms of the stand under the rubber are quite hard and I didn't like putting my guitar straight on these, so I kept the rubber on. Over the years though this has actually rotted away and fallen off. A few years ago I ended up simply pulling the remaining bits of as it looked a mess. So now I am down to the bear arms.

You can adjust the height of the guitar stand which is handy as guitar obviously come in different shapes and sizes. The arms at the bottom of the stand sway from left to right which means it is easy to put your guitar in and get it at the correct angle. The little screw sections on the back are still easily adjustable, even after ten years of use. Apart from the rubber the stand has shown no signs of wear.

Price wise this was not to expensive. Admittedly I got this included in the price of my guitar and amp when I bought them, but I do remember it was around £10 if I wanted to buy it separately. For a stand that will last you many years this is pretty good value I would have to say. Overall then this really has been a very good little guitar stand, apart from the issue with the rubber there have been no problems. There are better looking stands on the market but if you want a simple traditional stand then this one is for you.

10.10.2011 12:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Nice Pack Of Picks

If you were to walk into a decent guitar shop and ask for a pick you would not simply be given one. That would be like walking into Tesco and asking for a box of cereal. As with cereal, picks come in all different varieties. The fact is as well that it is about more than looks, we are talking about different sizes, different shapes, different thickness and even different materials. A decent guitar shop usually has whole table full of guitar picks to choose from. Type guitar picks into a search engine or into Amazon or eBay and you will be blown away by just how many picks there are available.

When you have been playing guitar for a while you tend to settle for one specific guitar pick. I have my own personal favourite which I use more often that not. When I first started playing guitar though I tried quite a few different ones to work out what kind suited me the best. At one point I bought a pack of these. A multipack of Tortex guitar picks. These are actually made by Dunlop which is a big name in guitars and Dunlop also make lots of different picks. The thing that appealed about these picks when I bought them was that there was a nice mix of colours and they were a simple variety.

These picks are dirt cheap. The fact is guitar picks are usually very cheap and if you buy them online you can get them for next to nothing. This is handy as guitar picks are very easy to lose and any one who plays guitar will no that you do often go through quite a lot of picks over the years. Buy a pack of Tortex picks and you should have no problem getting them for less the £2 if you shop around online a little bit.

The packs come in a fairly simple little plastic sleeve, it's barely worth a mention. So what are they actually like? Well they are simply little bits of plastic. The thing I like about this pack though is that they are all different thicknesses. This is the key to selecting a pick that you like, some players opt for very sturdy thick ones where as other players like a very thin one. A different thickness of pick will make a very different sound on the guitar strings. After buying this pack I discovered that I much prefer a nice thin pick and have been using thin picks ever since.

As you can see from the picture these come in a nice mix of bright colours. Admittedly these may not be to everyone's taste but at the time I thought they were rather nice and it also occurred to me that a bright pick may take the focus of what I was actually playing when performing in front of people! All the Tortex picks are the same size and shape, it would have been nice if they also came in a variety of shapes but not to worry.

These picks are quite easy to play with. I have since found a design I prefer over these but these ones are really the classic design when it comes to guitar picks. The plastic they are made from is fairly easy to grip so it is less likely these will slip out of your fingers when you are playing, something that truly is every guitarists worse nightmare.

Overall then I would have to give these picks a big thumbs up. They do everything a decent guitar pick should, they come in a nice variety of colours and thicknesses, they are cheap to buy and last very well. So if you are unsure of what pick is going to suit your style of playing, then why not opt for this little multipack. Chances are you are sure to like at least one the picks in there.

03.10.2011 12:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very Good Picks

Anyone who plays guitar will be aware that often you use a guitar pick when you play. Admittedly this is not always the case, some people like to pluck the strings or simply use their fingers to strum. But I have always preferred using a pick and will no doubt continue using picks in the future. I have been playing guitar for around fifteen years now. In that time I have worked my way through a vast array of guitar picks. As you can imagine, these are very easily lost. It usually happens when I'm out somewhere like the beach or sat round a fire in a field somewhere, when it goes dark, I tend to put my pick somewhere and then never see it again.

Due to the fact that I do so often lose my guitar picks it means I have to constantly buy new ones. One of the ones that I have purchased over the years is the Jim Dunlop Nylon guitar pick. This review is not for one specific pick, it is for Jim Dunlop Nylon picks in general. This is because there is more than one variety in this range. Over the years I have had a few different Jim Dunlop picks.

The reason there are a few different picks is that every guitarist will have their own personal preference then it comes to picks. The main issue is thickness. Some people like very thick stiff picks whereas others like very thin flimsy picks. The thickness of the pick influences the sound the strings on the guitar make. The harder the pick the louder and more powerful the sound will be, a softer pick will create more mellow sounds.

For me personally I usually go for the softer thin picks. I prefer the sound these produce. Over the years though and especially back in the early days I did try a few harder ones. The Jim Dunlop picks usually come in a pretty standard shape. The picture on this review show what most Jim Dunlop picks are like. These are easy to hold and are good as they don't tend to slip out of your fingers when you play with them.

Another good feature of the Jim Dunlop picks is that they are hard wearing and durable. Sometimes I don't have them long enough to test that, but I have had a few that have lasted me a good few years and they don't really wear out that fast at all. I have never had one crack on me or split, so that's obviously a plus.

When it comes to value for money these really are very good. Guitar picks in general do tend to be pretty cheap and these are no exception. If you bought these in a guitar shop you would get them for just less than a pound, buy them online and you will find them even cheaper. So the fact is that even if you do lose a few these are never going to cost you much money at all.

Overall then I would say that the Jim Dunlop Nylon guitar picks get a big thumbs up from me. Jim Dunlop is a very well known brand when it comes to guitars, the picks they make are very good and there is a wide range to choose from. If you are looking to buy a guitar pick then you can't go far wrong with a Jim Dunlop one.