bhayanid

bhayanid
  • Comments

Member since: 19.11.2008

09.08.2014 12:20

Advantages

• Effective
      • "Works Fast"

Very Effective Fungal Infection Treatment

I had an itch on my foot which over the course of a month got worse and worse. Upon seeing the GP he told me he thought it was a fungal infection and prescribed this cream to me. Well did it work. Yes and quickly.

The size does seem very small especially as it cost around a fiver, however you only need to apply a little a time. I have been using mine for a month every day and still have about 20% of the cream left. I only apply once before going to sleep simply as during the day I am at work.

Just to give you an idea of how fast this works. Before I put on cream for the first time my foot was a mess. All these red and orange spots, and weird looking things that have all hardened making it very hard to walk. Sorry for being descriptive, however once I put on this cream, literally the itching stopped within minutes. The next day I woke up and the infected area was much softer, and within 5 days all the hard parts had disappeared. I continued to put on for a few weeks following and I would say the infection has 90% cleared. Hopefully it will be 100% clear straight away.

When applying it just squeeze a little out of the tube and then spread over the area. It feels quite sticky which is to be expected so it stays on your skin. The saying ‘a little goes a long way’ definitely applies here

So I can highly recommend this cream. Will it solve your problems? That I can’t say as I am not a Dr and you could have a number of different conditions. So please see your GP first if you have a condition. But what I can say is this cream sorted me and got rid of that damned infection for the time being at least. Five stars

• Motorola Moto G 8 GB / Smartphone / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      08.08.2014 22:48

Advantages

• Effective
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None at this price range"

Best Budget Phone

This phone has become popular quick and fast. I had heard a little about it and got to the point where I no longer wanted to spend £25-30 a month on a flashy phone and essentially just wanted a phone which could run the basic apps like whatsapp, play my music and of course send messages and make calls. I knew about the £10 Giffgaff and then as soon as I saw the reviews for this phone I knew this was the one.

Looks
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is a pretty sturdy phone, and so far I have dropped it several times but it is going strong, that’s not that I recommend you get into the habit of dropping it. It doesn’t look as slick as the other top phones out there like the galaxy, xperia and Iphones and it is thicker and heavier than them, but this isn’t a downpoint for me. It looks good enough and lets face it, most people put their phones in cases anyway so you don’t get to see their beauty.

Features
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well it is a very fast phone considering the price. They have really put the value into making the phone work as well as possible. It doesn’t have 4G, it doesn’t have a memory card slot, it doesn’t have a great camera. If you want any of those then this isn’t the phone for you. However it will run your apps well and has a decent 4.5inch screen so it is very useable. I haven’t had any issues so far, apart from the odd crash every now and then which is to be expected.

Conclusion
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This costs under a £100 to you simply cannot go wrong at this price point. If you are looking for a no frills phone then go for it. Honestly for me it is as good as a phone you can get, unless you want a better camera. You want more memory? Well why would u need so many GB. Just delete and replace what you need and make do. Go save some money and buy the Moto G.

• Google Maps App / Apps / 44 Readings / 43 Ratings
      10.09.2013 23:38

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

Can't Live Without This

Outside of calls, texts and whatsapp this is the application that I cannot live without on my phone and use it several times a week. Honestly I would say it is as vital that it is a part of me now and I have to commend Google for this.

So the app is generally pre-installed on all Android phones with GPS software, however if not then you can easily download it from the play store. That are occasional updates from time to time which are bug fixes and not necessarily pure updates in the form of new features to the application.

What I like most about the App is the speed and usability. They have got this spot on with very few loading times. When you initially open the app it will give you a reminder to turn on your GPS if you have not done so. Otherwise it goes straight to the 2d map and if you click the my location button on the top right it will give a more accurate view of where you are up to an accuracy of 10m at the very best. What I love about this view is that you can see all the train stations around you so can easily navigate to them which is useful on a night out. Especially if you have had a bit to drink and are struggling with your bearings. This really is an idiot proof application in that sense. If you want more details it is very straight forward to zoom in which is done the normal way of moving your fingers on the screen like with all touch screens.

Now say for example you need to get across London to a certain Bar, well this app is perfect for that as well. You just type in where you want to go in the 'search maps' text bar at the top left and it will come up with the options. Usually with google maps it has such a depth of knowledge that it knows every bar and just general place on there with it is a restaurant, a physio, a certain company etc. So this means you generally don't need to type the whole address out so it is very convenient. You can then select whether you want to get there by car, by public transport, by bike or to walk. All options work great and I use the public transport and walk option usually in conjunction to get me to a destination. It does take into account both trains and bus so you can see it really has considered all factors.

In terms of use of the map it is very clear and straight forward with a moving arrow that makes sure you are always pointing in the right direction. It is constantly updating itself and letting you know how far away the destination is and of course redirects if you take a wrong turn or fancy a different route. Overall it is a great application and one that I use all the time. Honestly I would be lost without it and I am sure it proves useful to many others out there.

• Ip Man 2 (DVD) / DVD / 37 Readings / 37 Ratings
        07.09.2013 17:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Worth a watch

I absolutely adored the first film, but I am very unbiased in my reviews or at least like to think that I am. This stars the talented Donnie Yen who is arguably the biggest martial arts star in Asia at the moment although obviously not as well-known as Jackie Chan, Jet Li and probably more on a scale similar to Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais in terms of global popularity. This was released a year after Ip Man so in 2010 and grossed around 15m, which comfortably made a profit although did not prove to be as successful as its predecessor.

So let me give you a bit of a background in Ip Man(also known as Yip Man) as this movie is loosely based on the real life man himself. He was a martial arts teacher born in the late 1800's and to call him a legend would be an understatement. He was a wing chun master and had many students including the screen legend Bruce Lee. He did in 1972 due to throat cancer and has left a lasting legacy with every actor in the land wanting to pay tribute and play him in film. This is just one of a number of films, but the one that for me is by far the best version and is played supremely by Donnie Yen. Honestly I wasn't Donnie's biggest fan before this but certainly have him as one of my favourites now.

This film is very different to the first and begins with Ip Man taking on a group of new students having moved to Hong Kong. However like something out of an Italian Mob Film in order to be able to run his little martial arts school he has to pay a fee to the main man who is played by Sammo Hung. Yes this is the legendary Sammo Hung which grew up with Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao. Just to add that Sammo also choreographed all the fight scenes in this movie and them were some awesome ones at that. However without giving too much away it is in the second half of the film where it turns into a Rocky film. I kid you not there is the whole training session like in Rocky and then the final fight is against some arrogant British guy in a boxing ring. You really cannot make this up and this for me is the downfall. The first film was beautiful and very believable, but I just felt that the second half of this movie really fell of the wagon. Maybe its just me as one of my friends thought this was better than the first and loved the whole boxing element but my judgement has always been flawed on this friend as he thought that Massimo Maccarone was a better footballer than Thierry Henry.

The production values were excellent and the performances were handled very well. I have no faults here and the British guy especially had a very punchable face and arrogant personality but the outcome was a bit too predictable. There are rumours of a sequel that have been running for a few years but I know Donnie Yen is against that happening. I hope he sticks to his word as the legacy of the first film needs to be maintained. Overall this was still an entertaining film but not on the same level as the first. The production values are great especially when you consider how little it cost compared to the hundreds of millions for these Hollywood blockbusters.

05.09.2013 00:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Great album

This is the third album released by Kanye West and was released a few years ago back in 2007. He really is a big of an enigma as in person he doesn't come across as the most likeable fellow and often quite smug but to be fair to him he knows how to make good music. For me his best album will always be College Dropout as that set Kanye upon the world but this another very decent album by him and is probably the first step away when he started experimenting as The College Dropout and Graduation were similar in terms of style. Graduation also reached no 1 in the states and over here in the UK as well as several other countries. As per usual I will review my favourite tracks on the album.

Stronger
          ~~~~~~~~~
          This was one of the single releases from the album and contains a sample of an old Daft Punk Record. This is really used well and doesn't just seem like a carbon copy as the rapping really adds to the track. It was won a Grammy award for best rap track and reached no 1 in the US so there really was universal acclaim here. As you can imagine with the Daft Punk sample there is a techno sounding background and the lyrics of course relate to strength. Yes some ego as always with Kanye but he delivers here.

Can't Tell Me Nothing
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          I absolutely love this track and it really is a remix of old and new. The vocals are beautiful and the lyrics are on another level. It is really a confrontation with himself about his success and finding the line between going things alone and taking advice. In terms of the beat he says he took inspiration from the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin but I don't really see it. It was also nominated in the previous year from the single above for a Grammy award but ironically lost out to a completely different Kanye track.

Homecoming
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~
          This features the Coldplay lead Chris Martin and is another example of how Kanye really embraces all types of music and tries out new styles of music. This has a really old school feel to it and is a track which reflects his life from being a young kid with ambition to making it in his career. But the track has a dual meaning and is also a metaphor about how when he was young he liked a girl and then later in his life he relates upon this and it comes back full circle. That's what I love about Kanye he speaks on so many different levels at times.

Overall there are many standouts tracks on this album and for me there are only a few weak lines. This isn't as good at graduation but it is in album which has longevity and that is a rare thing in music these days. I do wish Kanye goes back to these sorts of albums as I am not the biggest fan of his latest album Yeezus.

• Now You See Me (DVD) / DVD / 36 Readings / 36 Ratings
          03.09.2013 23:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good but overated

This review has got some rave reviews and even five star ratings but for me to give a film five stars it has to be close to flawless and even four stars are rare for me. Did this film make the cut, well what I can say is that it started of promisingly enough. But before I go into the details let me talk a bit about the plot.

The film is about a group of magicians who have come together. They all have different specialities ranging from sleight of hand through to hypnotism and are called the four horsemen. They do big scale acts and in the one introductory act they show in this film, it is of them robbing the bank of a chosen member of the audience which is located thousands of miles away in Paris. Of course this then puts the police on the case and that is pretty much a brief summary of the plot without really giving away any spoilers.

So the cast has some fairly big names in it, not really A list but still very respectable like Jesse Eisenberg and Mark Ruffalo who plays the chief detective on the case. I think all the cast give this a good job but there isn't really a likeability factor to any character in the film which I think is its first weakness. Think of all the characters that you like in your favourite films and there are always some characters that you love or love to hate and this really has neither in my opinion.

Now in terms of the film itself this sets off at a 100mph and is very fun. If I was to base the film on the first 20-30mins I would easily give this four stars but unfortunately soon after it just becomes a bit mundane. For a film that is meant to be about magic, there is a lot of CGI in this film which is a little over the top although to be fair it doesn't really take much away from the film. For the next paragraph please not read ahead as there is a spoiler which to be fair most people in their reviews probably already mention it so wouldn't consider it a spoiler.

So the aspect I am talking about is a twist. Now for me what makes a great twist is something that is suggested throughout the film that you never see happening and then boom it happens and suddenly all the little things in the film make more sense and you watch out for them in repeat viewings. In this film the twist is utterly pointless and is just a random event. Just something that happens at the end of the film that people are referring to as a twist. Actually when you look back at the film the twist will make less sense with how certain characters acted in specific situations. Sorry for being so vague but obviously I am trying hard not to give away the twist.

Overall I found this to be an enjoyable film. I don't think it is as good as these high ratings that others are giving but I definitely think there are not many films like this about. Possibly The Illusionist with Edward Norton and The Prestige with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. Both those films are better than Now You See Me and especially The Prestige is far superior. This is worth a watch though and I am sure you will also enjoy it.

02.09.2013 08:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great Value

This is one of the most popular laptop backpacks on the market and for good reason. The reason I personally prefer a backpack rather than the classic type of laptop bag which is more like a briefcase is simply due to the fact that to an outsider you cannot tell that I have a laptop inside this. Of course in recent years generally Targus is associated with laptops but overall it is not the same guaranteed that a thief may have with a standard laptop bag.

Firstly I must mention as per the title of this backpack it is only for up to 16inch laptops. Although it does say 15.4-16inch I can clarify that you can fit in smaller laptops if needs be as there is a secure strap to ensure that the laptop remains firmly in place. You can possibly squeeze in a 17inch laptop and I know HP specifically these days are designing most of their laptops in this size but it would be a tight fit and I wouldn't recommend it.

As I use this primarily for work I need space for not just the laptop but many other items like my paperwork, cables, mouse, lunch and so on and that was the key factor that swung this bag in my favour. There is more than first meets the eye with side pockets, front pockets, grater pockets and of course zipped compartments on the inside ensuring that you can separate out your storage to create an easy find. There are times I use this just alone for the backpack and I may not even be carrying a laptop around, but I like to know that if the situation arises and I need to work from home that I can just slot it into my bag and easily transport it.

For me there is nothing more annoying that the straps weighing down on your shoulder and being able to feel it through your top, especially when the straps are rough and you are carrying heavy items in the bag. With this bag you do not have to worry about this as they are well padded and designed to ensure comfort.

I bought this from Argos a couple of years ago but I can see that it is no longer available on the Argos website. It cost me £20 at the time reduced from £40 and has easily repaid its price many times over. Currently on Amazon it comes in at close to £50 however it looks like they have a slightly different brand that clearly is their focus now called the Targus Notebook Backpack which costs a much more reasonable £21.08 and has a 4.5 star rating from 101 reviews on Amazon so I would actually recommend that backpack over the one I am reviewing.

Overall I think this is a high quality well-made backpack. It is great from transporting your laptop as well as general work use and I always enjoy having the peace of mind that this backpack prefers and am happy to give this a four star rating.

29.08.2013 00:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

Personally I still prefer electric but this is a great manual brush.

I have my Oral B electric toothbrush that I swear by, however there are the occasions when it runs out of battery and as I am lazy I take time to put it on the charger. It is on these occasions and also when travelling that I have to resort back to the classic manual brush and I make sure that there is a good quality brush to fall back on.

Asides from the actual brush head the other thing that I look for in a toothbrush is the handle. This is an item that is one of the most used by any person so at least I want to have a comfortable grip when I am using it. A grip that is firm that I don't have to keep readjusting the position of my hands and the easygrip contained here allows me this comfort. I know it sounds a bit over the top just for a grip but the amount of difference it makes is great compared to the cheaper value toothbrushes that come in multipacks.

The actual brush itself is firm but the right level of firmness so that it can end up being pricky. That usually happens with the cheaper toothbrushes and this can cause a lot of gum bleeding initially till the brush is worn in to. Thankfully that is not the case here. The brush does have different levels of indentation. By that I mean that is isn't completely flat and this does make cleaning your teeth with this tooth brush much more efficient. You really feel the effect compared to the flat toothbrush and I would definitely make sure any brushes I use in the future have similar brush heads. I am used to using the circular small brush heads as I normally use an electric toothbrush but there is something satisfied about the rectangular heads.

This is priced not quite at the budget rate and this is because it isn't a budget toothbrush. It costs around £1.50 at Boots and you can't get a deal buying this as part of a multibuy set of toothbrushes. However I can say that if you are looking for something, comfortable and firm and a toothbrush that you know will last you for many months that you really can go wrong with this Wisdom toothbrush.

• Altec Lansing BXR1320 / PC Speaker / 48 Readings / 47 Ratings
            26.08.2013 19:06

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

Value For Money

Upon starting my new job I had to order all of my new stationery including the desktop speakers specifically for when I was required to do presentations. The only requirements I had was that they cost under £20 and were easily transferable and ideally didn't take up an extra power socket. This set of speakers met my requirements and I will summarise why I am so happy about them.

Generally with these type of speakers they are very low quality but that isn't the case here. In terms of design they are well built and have a flat base which is sturdy so they won't be falling over with a light breeze. However this doesn't mean that they are heavy, as they are very light speakers and very compact. They do not take up much room which for desk speakers at work is ideal as I like to have a very clean desk.

In terms of sounds quality you get what you pay for. In the past I have had £10 budget speakers and especially in hindsight I can admit that the sound was atrocious. Don't expect these to blow you away but they get the job done. The sound from this is crisp and obviously these aren't amazing for music especially as they don't have a sub. With my old speakers I had to turn them off manually but what is great about these is that they switch off automatically which can save a lot of power in the long run.

Like I mentioned before I didn't want speakers that take up an extra power socket and these fit the bill. They are powered directly by USB Power. It also means I can transfer them easily between laptop and PC with minimum hassle. The only slight downside to this is that the power is limited through the USB so don't expect to be able to blast the sound up but then for me being at work these really are ideal.

Now for the functions these are really basic so don't expect anything fancy. There are two dials on the front, one for power and one for volume. In order to have access to the bass and treble functions you will be looking at a more expensive set of speakers. Another downside I just realised is the cable between the two speakers. This is quite short so you can't put the speakers a wide distance apart, however you can put them on either side of your monitor which is good enough for me.

Overall I would say these are ideal speakers for general computer use. I would not recommend them if you are serious about listening to music or games but honestly I cannot put this as a disadvantage as you get what you pay for. I find it funny people that list things like that as a bad thing when they have to realise what these cost. They currently retail for £19.35 at Amazon and with super saver delivery you can ensure that you don't pay anything extra for P&P.

26.08.2013 00:41

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A Must Have

This is a software that a lot of people don't really how much they use it and in fact it is used as much as the main Microsoft office packages. These days most documents are in PDF, primarily, to their read only format and Adobe Reader is the most popular PDF viewer. So the amount of people using Adobe Reader is growing year upon year.

What I look for in a PDF reader is speed. I am a maths tutor in my spare time so am dealing with syllabuses that are 100 pages plus so as you can imagine this takes up significant memory. Unlike a lot of PDF readers, Adobe has the processing power to deal with these documents. I can't lie there is a slight delay in flicking through pages and it does depend on your computer but overall I am satisfied with the speed.

You can zoom down to 10% and up to 6400% and to be honest I have never gone close to these ends of the scale. For me I go down to 75% and up to 200% depending on what I am looking at and the quality of the document. A useful feature that for example Microsoft Word has is two page view. Adobe Reader doesn't have that but I think this could definitely do with it. Especially as my monitor is very large and I am often using my 55inch TV as the output so it would make sense to have two page view.

The main advantage of PDF's is that they are read only. People love to know that when they release these PDF's that others can't mess around with the documents and even you can't get confused with the formatting if opening in another program or maybe on a Linux operating system. Personally I only ever produce PDF's when converting my CV and as this is such a wide used software I am always confident that the recipient will be able to use Adobe Reader to view my CV.

Amongst the other main features is select text. Although it is read only, it doesn't mean that you can't grab information that you want so this is a useful feature and the button is located in the toolbar at the top of the screen. Also one of the lesser used features is sticky note, where you can add a sticky note to certain points that you need reminders of so that you don't forget.

Overall this is a must have kit for any computer user as really most text files you use from the internet and even a lot of important forms are all converted to PDF for your viewing pleasure. Like with most programs Adobe has really monopolised the industry however Google are smart so they have their own internal PDF viewer. This means that on Gmail you don't need to download the file and can just view is online on Gmail. Apart from this though Adobe really is the prime PDF reader and will continue to be so.

24.08.2013 14:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

Gets the Job Done

Normally I am quite good at dealing with hot weather but this summer at times it was just that tad bit too hot for me, so I thought I would invest in a relatively cheap fan. Let's face it when it's sunny here, it is never for too long so I didn't exactly want to invest a lot in something that I will only use a few days a year.

So I needed something urgently, popped on to the Argos site and saw this had a lot of positive reviews and it was in the value range. Next thing I popped down to my local Argos and before you know it I was the owner of a Tower fan. The reason I plumped for a tower fan instead of the classic kind is twofold. Firstly it is easier to store away as it is quite compact and not too bulky plus I know I am in the minority but I find Tower Fans to be more attractive.

This comes with three settings like with most fans. Personally I always use the highest setting as I don't find the first two to have a great enough effect. Especially with setting number one I am not sure why anyone would use this. This is really a waste of a setting, but I guess for this value they can't make the fan that much more powerful. I didn't have to worry about paper flying off my desk as I used this primarily in my room to cool me down in the evenings before I went to sleep.

Of course with these things noise is always a factor and there is some noise here however I was pleasantly surprised that it was not too loud. I was expecting this to be a nuisance however in actual fact if I wanted to I could have comfortably slept with the fan on and not have been disturbed so I give this very good marks in terms of noise.

This does have the possibility to rotate as well which is useful if you have a group of people, but I do not use this feature much at all, as I am the primary user and like this fan just to be focused on the one point, so in essence I can't really comment too much on the rotation feature. In terms of price this is currently under £25 at Argos and you can go cheaper if you want. I have never owned a fan before so I can't comment on how this compares to others in a similar price range but I personally have found it to be good value for money.

Overall I think is a decent fan and whilst it isn't perfect and maybe for some people won't quite be powerful enough they also need to remember this is a value fan. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and if you want something that has serious wind power then you really need to be investing more money in to your fan.

23.08.2013 00:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Must Have

This is one of my favourite Deodorants and ranks amongst my top especially when it comes to Chanel. Chanel has about five main different fragrances of which in each fragrance they produce the aftershaves, the balms, all the way through to the deodorants so this deodorant is specifically for Allure Homme Sport, not to be confused with the also popular Allure Homme as the smells are very different between the two.

In terms of the can it is a very basic can but it works well. It isn't one of these fancy twist ones like Lynx or the Right Guard ones where you have to turn the nozzle and take it off safety. It just has a simple lid which you remove and then spray. I do find with the Chanel deodorants that with each spray only a little comes out at a time. If you think of the Lynx ones where you can hold the button down and it will spray forever, this is the complete opposite. So you need to press the button quite a few times, and I generally aim for about five or six sprays in order to get good coverage. I do use it primarily for the smell so this goes mainly over my clothes rather than my cheaper antiperspirant which is for the body.

The smell like I mentioned is the same as the aftershave. The best way to describe it is a spicy fruit. There is a very woody type of after tone which is my favourite part but it also smells very sophisticated but then it does cost considerably more than others. You are looking at £23 at Boots so definitely not day wear here. I refrain from wearing my Chanel deodorants to work and save them for the special occasions and nights out. This proves much better value for money as the can then lasts me many months. However I do have the deodorants for every Chanel fragrance so I do intertwine this with others, namely with Antaeus at the moment.

For me it is important to have a deodorant for every occasion, although trust me I know there are plenty of people that just have one fragrance and are happy with this. There is nothing wrong with this, but my job entails meeting many clients on a regular basis and travelling to many different countries so I like to have a number of different fragrances. I feel the Chanel range gives me the coverage that I want and I make sure to pack this Allure Homme Sport in the suitcase as I never know when I will need to call upon it.

I would recommend this if you are looking for something classy with a bit of panache. If you want something to impress those around you then look no further, as the right deodorant mixed with the right aftershave can lead to results beyond measure. Overall I am happy to give this five stars as I know it will be a staple in my collection for years to come.

21.08.2013 23:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

A very decent album

Let's be clear, this is effectively Evanescence having returned without the original lead singer Amy Lee. For those of you who don't know, Evanescence were a massive band maybe ten years ago and had some huge singles. They were gothic but appealed to the main stream and Ben Moody was a big part of this. He was a great producer and knew what worked with the leader singer Amy Lee who has a phenomenal voice. Unfortunately though as in most cases he didn't like how Amy Lee was getting all the exposure and they had numerous arguments. Eventually he left taking the whole band with him and they found a new female leader singer, Carly Smithson, who initially found fame through the popular tv show American Idol. Don't get bogged down by this as she has a set of pipes on her and proves a decent replacement for Amy Lee.

So with the same member's asides from lee and a new singer, unsurprisingly this has a very Evanescence feel to the album but there were a few great tracks on her and as always I will review my favourite ones.

Bury Me Alive
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              This was the first single released from the album and sets the tone really for the whole album. It is very gothic and I've noticed as it is really is Ben Moody's band now that he has put a massive emphasis on the electric guitar just to stamp his mark. Vocally it is very strong and clearly Carly had to lay down a marker and show off her voice here. What I must say however is that vocally she isn't in the same league as Amy Lee but she is very good in her own right. Amy Lee has a certain haunting tone to her voice which just suited Evanescence down to a tee. As a debut track though they go hard here and really deliver.

Don't Leave Me Behind
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Now this is a track which I actually feel suits Carly's voice more than Amy's and it is beautiful. Although she isn't as haunting she definitely has a certain quality that most singers dream of being able to replicate. This is a track which is a little vague but really about how she wants the guy to stay with her forever and how she belongs with him. It isn't as heavy as other tracks but not quite a ballad like My Immoral. It is like a mixture of a ballad and a heavier track and picks up the pace as it goes along. Easily one of my favourites on the album.

I Will Stay
              ~~~~~~~~~~

My favourite track on the album and like I said with the previous track it really suits Carly's voice. She performs this exceptionally and it is much closer to a ballad. Very slow during the versus but picks up during the Chorus and it really has an epic feel to it. This is genius in song making and Ben Moody producing at his very best. Hopefully if they make another album, I know not particularly likely, they stick more towards this type of music as this is where they excel.

Overall I felt this was a good album, and generally very consistent, but unfortunately they were always going to live in Evanescence's shadow. Literally every YouTube video for We Are The Fallen you will find fans of both groups arguing about who is better which is quite tragic. I know we would all love to see Amy back but that will never happen. I am proud that Carly took this project on though and she did the band and herself proud.

21.08.2013 00:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Worth a watch

This is a movie that I had heard very good things about so I was eager to watch it and finally got the chance this weekend. The basic plot is about a guy who finds out that he has a son but feels regret at not being able to give him a life or providing any money. So he decides to start robbing bank. As you can imagine from here it starts to get complicated and if I say any more about the plot it really will turn into spoilers which is not what I like my reviews to be like.

Cast
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Ryan Gosling - Luke
                Eva Mendes - Romina
                Bradley Cooper - Avery
                Dane DeHaan - Jason

My Opinion
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I guess let's start with Ryan Gosling. He is the shining light that sets this movie on fire. As usual he is his smouldering quiet self. Relying more on providing that screen presence rather than dialogue and you really feel his hurt from having missed the baby's birth. Now whilst he is great at this role it is also my biggest criticism of Gosling. We have seen him act in other movies but more and more he is being typecast in to this type of film and especially since the release of Drive. I think he needs to make an effort now to avoid this type of role to avoid getting to the stage where he never gets offer a more diverse role.

Bradley Cooper plays his role well but his character is nowhere near as interesting as Ryan's. However his character is much deeper in the sense that he is a police officer and faces a moral dilemma especially when it comes to the corruption that he sees by his colleagues. He tackles this well but it does feel a little rushed. Also there is Dane DeHaan who is a real quality up and coming actor. If you remember the movie Chronicle he was the antagonist in that and he really excels in this movie. I predict big things for this actor however he doesn't really have the good looks of most Hollywood actors so that may stunt his potential but I guess we just have to wait and find out.

Overall I felt a little dissatisfied by the plot. It starts of strong with the bank robberies but as the movie goes on it starts to feel a bit like a drag and the first third of the movie was by far the best portion. I feel like people get blinded by the start of the movie. They enjoy the beginning and then enjoy it having Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling and then think it is an amazing movie. I don't think that is the case at all and honestly think this is a three star movie.

• Philips HD4666/40 / Kettle / 45 Readings / 45 Ratings
                18.08.2013 13:00

Advantages

• "Ease of use"

Disadvantages

A great kettle

The kettle I had for last eight years broke down last month and of course like most people I can't survive without my tea so had to rush out and get a kettle. Normally I research for best deal and don't mind waiting a few days, but in this instance as it was a classified 'emergency' I popped to Argos, checked through catalogue and plumped for this choice.

It seems like this comes in two different colours as the version in the picture is Red whilst mine is a silver stainless steel but this is a minor point. For me when buying a Kettle I don't look for many features but a few are essential. Firstly there needs to be a clear water level indicator which is accurate. I don't like wasting water which is why this is so important and of course I don't want the occasions where I underestimate the amount of water and need to boil another amount.

Secondly I had when the dirt and scale builds up in the kettle which usually happens after constant use. I want an easy cleanable solution and this kettle has a system where there is a removable washable scale filter so this works for me. Also I have notice that the gap to fill the water is bigger here than my previous kettle and whilst this is not essential it is a nice plus.

Of course boil speed is important this is where this kettle has a big advantage over my old one. I would say it is twice as fast and literally as soon as I press the button it is off and whizzing and you can expect in 30-45 seconds for your water to be ready. By far the fastest kettle I have seen although I am sure there are faster ones out there!

The final advantage really is that it isn't too heavy. I have very weak wrists due to sports injuries so hate straining them. Especially when holding under the gap and with the kettle getting heavier this used to be a real nuisance. Whilst not perfect, now with the kettle weighing less it means the overall weight with the water is a lot easier to handle.

One of the pet hates for me when it comes to kettles is when lids become stiffer and stiffer with more use. Before you know it suddenly you are having the battle of your life just to open the lid to pour water in to your kettle. Thankfully this kettle is made with slightly better build and I can't envisage any problems in the future in regards to this but who knows what the future holds so watch this space.

Overall this is a great kettle, that does what it needs to do and it does it fast. It is efficient, easy to clean, not too heavy so what more can you ask for from a kettle. It doesn't look like it retails at Argos anymore but if you shop around online you can snap it up for around £30-35. This gets four stars from me.